2006 Acura Lineup Summary of Changes
Date: August 01, 2005 00:00
|For the 2006 model year, all Acura horsepower and torque specifications have been updated to reflect revised Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1349 (Rev 8/04) net calculations that went into effect in January of 2005. These new calculations reflect a number of significant changes in the way horsepower and torque are measured and may cause SAE net horsepower and torque totals published in 2006 media materials to differ from the figures published in previous years. To avoid confusion, all 2006 Acura press materials will specify “SAE net (Rev 8/04”) after all horsepower and torque figures to denote adherence to the new standards.|
Acura’s 2006 model lineup highlights the division’s commitment to performance and leading-edge safety. The 2006 TSX sports sedan receives additional horsepower, sportier exterior styling and additional features to make it even more appealing to driving enthusiasts. In addition, Acura builds on its reputation for leading-edge technology features with an optional Technology Package for the 2006 RL luxury performance sedan that includes the innovative Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS™), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Michelin PAX Run-Flat Tires.
The TL performance luxury sedan, the top-selling luxury sedan in America, receives changes to enhance its steering and adds a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). The MDX luxury SUV receives new interior trim and a new exterior color, Amazon Green Metallic.
The TSX has built a strong following among sports sedan buyers, won a plethora of awards (including being twice named to Car & Driver’s 10Best Cars list) and gained a reputation for being both stylish and fun to drive. For 2006, Acura made some dynamic changes to the TSX to enhance its performance, make the styling even sportier and increase interior comfort. The result is a sports sedan that is more luxurious, more aggressive-looking and even more fun to drive.
Modifications to the intake and exhaust systems were made to the TSX’s 2.4-liter i-VTEC™ four cylinder engine to boost horsepower to 205 hp SAE net (Rev 8/04). Interior enhancements include an upgraded navigation system, the HandsFreeLink™ wireless telephone interface, and a digital media auxiliary jack located in the center console for iPod® and MP3 players to name a few.
Outside, the TSX gets sporty, redesigned front and rear fascias, new sidesills, redesigned alloy wheels and standard integrated fog lamps.
- Horsepower increased to 205 SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 7000 rpm
- Torque increased to 164 lbs-ft. SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 4500 rpm
- Larger intake valves
- Increased valve timing and lift
- Increased intake and exhaust flow
- Reduced engine pumping losses
- Electronic Brake Assist
- Increased rigidity of upper A-arm reduces NVH
- Restyled hood and grille
- Redesigned headlights and combination taillights
- Redesigned front and rear bumpers
- Fog lamps are integrated into the lower bumper
- More pronounced side sills
- New nine-spoke alloy wheels
- Flat wiper blades increase visibility and reduce wind noise
- Four new exterior colors: Alabaster Silver Metallic replaces Satin Silver, Glacier Blue Metallic replaces Meteor Silver Metallic, and Deep Green Pearl, and Royal Blue Pearl are added
- 2-position memory for driver’s seat
- Auxiliary audio jack in center console for digital music players
- HandsFreeLink™ wireless telephone interface
- Sports steering wheel
- Multi-info display
- New meter face
- New wood-patterned trim for models with Parchment interior
- Metallic garnish added to shift knob.
- Smart Maintenance system
- Enhanced Acura Navigation System (optional)
- Larger buttons and fonts
- Faster processing speed
- Points of Interest (POI) database increased to 7 million
- HandsFreeLink calling to POI
- More voice recognition commands (653)
- Zagat restaurant guide
- Exit ramp services feature
- Enhanced in-glass antennae for improved radio reception
The dramatically redesigned RL went on sale last year as an all-new model featuring a 3.5-liter VTEC V-6 engine and the groundbreaking Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ system. The increased performance, exciting new styling and an assortment of exciting interior features have pushed the RL to record sales in 2005. For 2006, Acura introduces an optional Technology Package for the RL, which adds three advanced new features:
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) - uses a grille-mounted radar unit, motorized seatbelt E-pretentioners on the driver’s and front passenger’s seats and an automatic braking system to monitor potential frontal collisions and help reduce the impact on occupants by alerting the driver, tensioning the seatbelts and slowing the vehicle.
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) – To compensate for changing traffic flow, ACC adjusts vehicle speed automatically by applying throttle and/or brake to maintain a consistent following distance.
- Michelin PAX Run-Flat tires - helps provide enhanced safety and security with continuous mobility of up to 125 miles at up to 50 mph following a tire puncture.
New horsepower/torque ratings: 290 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 6200 rpm, 256 lbs-ft torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 5000 rpm
Since its groundbreaking redesign in 2004, the Acura TL has solidified its place as both the top selling Acura and best-selling luxury sedan in the country. The TL comes equipped with a 3.2-liter, VTEC V-6 engine, a drive-by-wire throttle system, and an available close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission with limited slip differential. For 2006, a Tire Pressure Monitoring System is added to the TL’s already long list of standard safety features as are two new exterior colors.
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Revised engine management system and steering angle sensor logic help reduce torque steer
- New Colors:
- Royal Blue Pearl replaces Abyss Blue Pearl
- Alabaster Silver Metallic replaces Satin Silver Metallic
- Deep Green Pearl discontinued
New horsepower/torque ratings: 258 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 6200 rpm, 233 lbs-ft. of torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 5000 rpm
The MDX continues to set the standard in the increasingly competitive luxury SUV segment. To maintain its leadership position, the 2006 MDX receives further refinements including stylish additions to the interior. Touring Package-equipped models now feature high quality ebony-colored Zebra wood pattern on the center console and door switches and refined satin chrome accents. 2006 enhancements include:
- Ebony-colored Zebra wood-patterned trim on center console and door switch replaces Burl Wood-patterned trim on models equipped with Touring Package
- Satin chrome replaces bright chrome interior accents on models equipped with Touring Package
- New color: Amazon Green Metallic
New horsepower/torque ratings: 253 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 5800 rpm, 250 lbs-ft. of torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 3500 rpm
The RSX continues to set the trend in driving excitement and refinement. With its thrilling combination of performance, aggressive styling and luxury appointments, the RSX has won over performance enthusiasts, automotive critics and sport compact fanatics year after year. For 2006, the RSX maintains its dominance in the sports coupe segment with two distinct models, the race-inspired RSX and high performance RSX Type-S models.
- New Color: Global Silver Metallic replaces Satin Silver Metallic
New horsepower/torque ratings:
RSX: 155 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 6500 rpm, 139 lbs-ft. of torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 4000 rpm
RSX Type-S: 201 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 7800 rpm, 140 lbs-ft of torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 7000 rpm
UPDATE: 2006 RSX Pricing and Availability
The following is an excerpt of a memo sent to Acura dealers today:
The release of the 2006 RSX will be on August 2, 2005. Prices will increase by $50 on all cloth interior RSX models, $125 on leather interior base models, and $175 on the RSX Type-S. This amounts to a sales-weighted average price increase of 0.55%. D & H charges will remain the same for all 50 states at $570.
Last edited by JeffX on
August 01, 2005 22:01