?Powerful and Sophisticated? New Civic 2.0 i-VTEC has first world launch in Thailand
Date: March 24, 2003 11:28
March 17, 2003
Honda Automobile (Thailand) Co., Ltd. today adds the highest grade Civic to its lineup in Thailand. Remarkable for its new engine, sporty styling, and high performance, the new 2.0-liter i-VTEC Civic will be first launched in Thailand.
This grade addition offers customers a higher class sedan with a sportier character. Honda includes features of the popular 1.7 model Civic for more powerful and sophisticated performance. An original-design front grille, rear under spoiler, and aluminum wheels enhance Civic 2.0 exterior styling, giving it the appearance of a sporty sedan, and a special interior with black leather seats, and a luminous red meter cluster heighten expectations of sporty driving pleasure. And significantly, a new 2.0-liter i-VTEC engine plus a 5-speed automatic transmission deliver maximum power of 155PS, for a dynamic feeling of driving exhilaration in motion.
Projected price: 997,000B
The Civic 2.0 i-VTEC displays a distinctive new image that shares new design features with the Civic 1.7 - including front bumper, side-sill garnish, side protectors and rear combination lights. In addition, the Civic 2.0 i-VTEC offers special styling features that give the vehicle an even sportier appearance.
Special Civic 2.0 i-VTEC exterior features include:
- Front grille in a different color than the 1.7-liter Civic
- Built-in front fog light
- Sporty aluminum wheels specially installed on the Civic 2.0 i-VTEC
- Rear under-spoiler andadded exhaust pipe finisher
- "2.0 i-VTEC" rear emblem with a red color accent for sportier image
To bring a sense of sporty and elegant refinement to the elite Civic 2.0 i-VTEC, the interior emphasizes sporty black tones. Black leather seating is complemented by elegant woodgrain paneling accents and a sporty leather-bound steering wheel.
Interior styling elements include:
- Black punched leather seating
- Woodgrain accents on center panel, console panel, and door panels
- Sporty leather-bound steering wheel with punched grip
- Dynamic luminous red meter cluster
- Gleaming chromed parts, including AT lever escutcheon and glove box knob
- Sporty design headrests for driver and front passenger
Honda has developed a next-generation 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine with a balance of fine-tuned power delivery, consistent torque, reduced emissions, and lowered fuel consumption. This engine features intelligent valve timing and lift mechanism.
i-VTEC technology on the Civic 2.0 represents an intelligent evolution of VTEC engineering, combining DOHC VTEC and VTC (Variable Timing Control). This allows the timing of the intake camshaft to be continuously varied throughout the engine's entire rpm range.
Engine performance achieved:
- Maximum power: 155PS@6500rpm
- Maximum torque: 18.0kgm@5000rpm
- Emission level met: EU2000/EURO3 equivalent
The Civic 2.0 i-VTEC employs the same advanced 5-speed automatic transmission utilized by the new Honda Accord. Lightweight and compact with best-in-class performance and fuel economy, it reduces shift shock and enhances shifting smoothness due to a new direct-control linear solenoid.
Additional shifting refinements include:
- ProgressiveHonda Grade Logic Control technology for optimized shift timing uphill and downhill
- Active lock-up mechanism
Regardless of conditions, the Civic 2.0 i-VTEC displays impressive linear response and straight line stability for stress-free performance. Honda progress in high body rigidity creates a sense of exceptional driving enjoyment.
Specific improvements in body rigidity include:
- Large-size bulkhead gussets added to rear wheel housing
- Bulkheads added to rear cross member, enhancing floor rigidity
- Enlarged extension of rear inner panel
Suspension and Steering
The overall high-quality riding feel of the Civic 2.0 i-VTEC is due to specially tuned suspension systems, electric power steering (EPS) with sporty tuning, and YOKOHAMA ADVAN 195/60R15 tires, known for their popular high performance. Lightweight suspension with a high degree of damping provides a comfortably pliant riding feel, without loss of sporty agility in handling.
Front suspension tuning refinements:
- Improved road tracing ability and reduced steering vibration through greater rigidity of strut damper for better aligning torque toe rigidity and optimized compliance bushing
- Improved road tracing ability with extended damper arm
- Enhanced steering response and stability with optimization of lower ball joints, etc.
Rear suspension tuning enhancements:
- Greater stability with increased spring rate of bushing, etc.
- Greater comfort with decreased spring rate of compliance bushing
Tires exclusively selected:
- Employment of YOKOHAMA ADVAN 195/60R15 tires to accomplish high road holding without sacrificing comfortable riding feel.
The Civic 2.0 i-VTEC achieves class-above interior quietness through dramatic noise and vibration reduction, compared with the popular 1.7-liter Civic. In particular, the level of distracting resonance is greatly diminished while engine acceleration is remarkably quiet. Significantly, a highly rigid monocoque body isolates the cabin from intrusive sounds. The result is a "class above" sense of serenity.
Interior serenity is the result of engineering enhancements:
- Redesigned engine mount mechanism that suppresses idling vibration
- Employment of engine balancer system to reduce engine noise
- Improved air flow of intake and exhaust systems that greatly reduce resonance
- Employment of YOKOHAMA ADVAN tires also contributes to decrease the level of road noise
- Thicker insulation materials that absorb road noise
Honda supplies the Civic 2.0 i-VTEC with exceptional protection for passengers, pedestrians, and possessions. Based on rigorous crash testing, exclusive Honda G-Force Control technology absorbs impact force and helps provide a hard shell of "survival zone" shielding. The result is outstanding Civic protection for motoring confidence.
Other safety/security measures include:
- ABS with EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution) and break assist
- Dual SRS airbags
- Three-point ELR seatbelts with pretensioners and load limiters
- Engine immobilizer and security alarm system
Last edited by JeffX on
March 24, 2003 12:02