Date: January 03, 2013 19:00
All-New Accord and Civic Drive Sharp Honda Monthly and Annual Sales Gains; ILX and RDX Fuel Acura Jump; American Honda Posts Best Annual Sales Result Since 2008
Honda Division annual sales up 23 percent, Acura annual sales up 26 percent
01/03/2013 - TORRANCE, Calif.
Buoyed by strong December 2012 U.S. sales of 132,774 units, an increase of 26.2 percent compared with December 2011, American Honda posted annual vehicle sales of 1,422,785 units in 2012, up 24.0 percent compared with 2011. This makes 2012 American Honda's fourth-best sales year ever, and its best sales result since 2008.
The Honda Division posted December 2012 sales of 116,740 units, an increase of 26.8 percent compared with December 2011 and less than 500 units shy of an all-time December record. The Honda Division's 2012 annual sales of 1,266,569 increased 23.7 percent compared with 2011. The three top-selling Honda models for 2012 were Accord, 331,872; Civic, 317,909; and CR-V, 281,652.
- Civic sets all-time December record with sales of 33,118 units, up 61 percent from last year
- All-new 2013 Accord sales up 66 percent from last December with sales of 29,428 units
- CR-V sets an all-time annual sales record (281,652) and its tenth monthly sales record since launching last December, up 19 percent from last year to 25,733 sales
"Honda began the year intent on recovery," said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of Sales. "We ended 2012 with multiple product awards, a host of sales records, Honda's second best December ever, and tremendous momentum as we head into 2013."
Acura U.S. December sales of 16,034 units represents an increase of 22.1 percent over December 2011. The Acura Division's year-end sales totaled 156,216, up 26.7 percent compared with 2011 results - and the brand's best sales results since 2007. The MDX led the division with annual sales of 50,854, followed by the TL with sales of 33,572 and the RDX with sales of 29,520.
- RDX sets its eighth-consecutive monthly sales record, up 155 percent from a year ago with 4,024 sales - setting monthly sales records in each month since going on sale in May 2012
- MDX was the top selling Acura model in December, with 5,069 sales, up 10 percent from 2011
- ILX is top selling Acura sedan in December with 2,485 sales
"December was another month of tremendous sales growth fueled by our newest products, the Acura ILX luxury compact sedan and the RDX crossover SUV," said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura Sales, "Acura is primed for even more success in 2013, with the upcoming launch of the brand's flagship RLX sedan and the unveiling of the 2014 MDX Prototype at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show."
The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 26 days for December 2012 and 27 days for December 2011. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 307 days for 2012 and 307 days for 2011. All other percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.
Last edited by JeffX on
January 03, 2013 19:01