Date: September 05, 2012 06:00
Honda Press Release / 2013 Accord Press Kit
All-New 2013 Honda Accord Brings Remarkable Levels of Luxury, Agility, Efficiency and Sophistication to Midsize Segment’s Legendary NameplateNinth-generation Accord offers all-new direct-injected powertrain, class-leading safety innovations and upcoming plug-in hybrid model
TORRANCE, Calif., Sept. 5, 2012 – Honda today announced the all-new 2013 Accord Sedan and Coupe, a storied nameplate that will once again redefine sophistication, efficiency and driving joy in the midsize class. Completely redesigned for 2013, the all-new Honda Accord provides a host of powertrain, engineering, electronic and safety firsts combined with Honda’s trademark visibility and smart design.
Better, not bigger, the completely new Honda Accord lineup includes Sedan and Coupe models powered by 4-cylinder, V-6 and hybrid powertrains, teamed to manual, automatic and continuously variable transmission (CVT) options. The 2013 Honda Accord Sedan goes on sale September 19, 2012, with the Coupe to follow on October 15, 2012. An all-new, two-motor 2014 Accord Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) Sedan is scheduled to debut in early 2013, followed by a conventional hybrid based on the same powertrain architecture in the summer of 2013.
Using the most high-strength steel in the model’s history, the 2013 Honda Accord Sedan and Coupe bodies combine sophisticated and athletic styling with remarkable aerodynamic streamlining. Revised Advanced Compatibility EngineeringTM (ACETM) body structures improve frontal crash safety, making the all-new Accord one of few midsize offerings expected to excel in upcoming small-overlap frontal barrier crash test.
All-new Earth DreamsTM powertrains include the first U.S. application of Honda’s next-generation 2.4-liter direct-injected 4-cylinder engine. The 2013 Accord Sedan and Coupe will also offer a more powerful and efficient V-6, and in early 2013, an all-new two-motor 2014 Accord Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) Sedan will debut. Four transmissions are available, including the first-ever application of a continuously variable transmission (CVT) on 2.4-liter 4-cylinder models, a six-speed automatic on V-6 models, and unique 6-speed manual transmissions on 2.4-liter 4-cylinder models and the 3.5-liter V-6 Coupe. Fuel efficiency is the best ever for an Accord in the EPA Midsize class, with 4-cylinder models earning up to an EPA 36 mpg highway rating1 and V-6 models getting up to an EPA 34 mpg highway rating.1
Other new Accord technologies include the first application of the all-new cloud-based HondaLinkTM system, which lets drivers put away their smartphones and still stay connected to the people, music and social media they love. Also debuting on the 2013 Accord is the exclusive available Honda LaneWatchTM blind-spot display, which uses a camera system mounted on the passenger mirror for an enhanced view of the passenger-side roadway. The all-new 2013 Honda Accord also receives a rearview camera and an Expanded View Driver's Mirror as standard equipment.
New Accord Technology
- Honda’s first use of direct injection (DI) in North America contributes to the 2.4- liter inline 4-cylinder engine’s excellent fuel efficiency and low emissions.
- A new Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), available with the 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine, contributes to the Accord’s improved fuel efficiency. Honda’s unique G-Design Shift logic creates a connected feel and provides a more immediate acceleration response than conventional automatics or other CVT designs.
- New MacPherson-strut front suspension improves ride and handling qualities, while also reducing interior noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). The new lighter aluminum and steel front subframe also uses a proprietary Honda friction-stir welding process.
- Three features highly coveted by consumers are now standard on every new Accord: Bluetooth®HandsFreeLink®, USB/iPod® integration and rearview camera. No other manufacturer provides this level of standard equipment. Honda’s Expanded View Driver's Mirror is also now standard equipment on every Accord.
- All Accord models feature standard Econ button with Eco AssistTM
- Included on Accord EX, EX-L and Touring Sedan models and EX-L Coupe, Honda LaneWatchTM Blind Spot Display provides an expanded rear view of the passenger side roadway through the intelligent Multi-Information Display (i-MID).
- All-new Smart Entry & Push Button Start included on Accord EX, EX-L and Touring models.
- Included on EX-L and Touring Sedan and EX-L Coupe models, Forward Collision Warning (FCW) alerts the driver when a potential collision with another vehicle ahead is detected.
- Included on Accord EX-L and Touring models, Lane Departure Warning (LDW) alerts the driver when lane drift is detected without a turn signal in use.
- New SmartVentTM side airbags mitigate the risk of excessive airbag deployment
force while eliminating the need for the prior Accord’s Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS). SmartVent also allows improved heating of the passenger seatback on EX-L and Touring models.
- The Accord Touring Sedan offers Honda’s first light emitting diode (LED) projector headlights for improved visibility. In addition, LED daytime running lights (DRLs) are found on V-6 powered models, while LED brake lights come on all EX-L and Touring models.
- Exclusive to the Touring Sedan, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) allows the driver to set a desired speed and a distance interval behind the vehicle ahead.
- The all-new available HondaLinkTM connected-car system allows owners to put their smartphones away and still stay connected to their favorite digital content.
The 2013 Honda Accord Sedan will be available in six model choices, including an all- new top-spec Touring trim (LX, Sport, EX, EX-L, EX-L V6, and Touring), with the 2014 Accord Plug-In Hybrid Sedan arriving early in 2013. The striking 2013 Honda Accord Coupe will be available in four model choices (LX-S, EX, EX-L and EX-L V6).
The 2013 Accord Sedan is available in nine exterior colors, including four metallic and five pearl colors. All-new colors include Champagne Frost Pearl, Hematite Metallic, Modern Steel Metallic and Obsidian Blue Pearl. The 2013 Accord Coupe is available in seven exterior colors, including two metallic, five pearl and one solid color. All-new colors include Modern Steel Metallic, Still Night Pearl, Tiger Eye Pearl and White Orchid Pearl.
As in previous generations, two gasoline engines are available on the 2013 Honda Accord Sedan and Coupe. These include a new Earth DreamsTM 2.4-liter 4-cylinder with Honda’s first use of direct injection in North America, and an Earth DreamsTM 3.5-liter V- 6 with revised VTEC + VCM functions. The base 185-horsepower (hp) 4-cylinder engine is coupled to a choice of an efficient new continuously variable transmission (CVT), or a new fun-to-shift 6-speed manual transmission on selected models. The Accord Sport Sedan model provides a 189-horsepower version of the 2.4-liter 4-cylinder. Meanwhile, Accord V-6 models feature a 278-horsepower 3.5-liter engine coupled to a 6-speed automatic or, in the V-6 Coupe, a 6-speed manual transmission.
In early 2013, the 2014 Accord Plug-In Hybrid will debut Honda’s new 2.0-liter 4-cylinder two-motor plug-in hybrid system. Available in the Sedan only, this system operates continuously through three modes – all-electric, gasoline-electric and direct-drive – to maximize fuel efficiency.
Crisply styled and aerodynamically efficient, the 2013 Accord Sedan and Coupe body designs are the most sophisticated in Accord history. The 2013 Accord unit-body uses 55.8-percent high-tensile steel, more than in any previous Accord. In addition, 17.2- percent of the steel is now grade 780, 980 and 1,500 – extremely high grades that have never before been used in any Accord. This contributes to higher body rigidity and reduced weight, which directly benefits ride and handling, interior quietness, performance and efficiency and long-term durability.
With its contoured body-sides, the Sedan’s exterior design is sleek, bold and decisive, while the Coupe’s design is rakish, taut and athletic. Extensive use of under-covers improve aerodynamics for increased fuel efficiency, while other advances include available LED headlights, DRLs and brake lights, mirror-mounted turn signals, and the standard Expanded View Driver’s Mirror that increases the driver’s field of vision by 4.2 degrees.
Literally every aspect of the Accord’s chassis was reviewed or redesigned to create the best possible driving experience. Altogether, the highly rigid unit-body, refined suspension technology and advanced electronics define the 2013 Accord chassis as the most capable in model history. The new Accord is quieter and more responsive on city streets, smoother and more composed on the highway, and even more faithful to the driver’s wishes on winding roads.
New features for Accord include a MacPherson strut front suspension, a steel and aluminum front subframe and electric power steering (EPS). Standard Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Control (ASC) on both 4-cylinder and V-6 models counteract engine noise, particularly at high rpm.
The lightweight MacPherson strut front suspension improves ride and handling qualities while also reducing interior noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). The new aluminum and steel front subframe reduces weight and, in conjunction with the new independent multi-link rear suspension, further reduces NVH. Careful aerodynamic tailoring of the underbody and suspension systems provides additional noise reductions.
The new EPS setup uses an electric motor to assist the rack-and-pinion steering rather than the hydraulic assist of the previous Accord. The result is reduced steering effort and fuel consumption, with improved precision, feel and stability.
Alloy wheels are now standard across the Accord model range, and range in size from 16 to 18 inches. Four-wheel disc brakes are also standard, as is Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) with Brake Assist, a 4-channel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Vehicle Stability AssistTM (VSA®) with Traction Control, and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Hill start assist is also now standard on the Accord.
A completely new interior provides a level of luxury and craftsmanship never before seen in the Accord. Available in Black, Gray and Ivory cloth or leather, the interior combines welcoming comfort with an impressive range of available technologies. Standard features include redesigned seating, dual-zone automatic climate control and simplified controls and instrumentation.
Compared to the prior edition, both the 2013 Accord Sedan and Coupe offer spacious accommodations for five passengers, and a roomy trunk with a flatter load floor for greater utility. Although the Accord's length has decreased over three inches and the wheelbase is almost an inch shorter, key interior dimensions grow. Rear legroom increases over an inch, both front and rear shoulder room increase, and trunk space is up over a cubic foot. Altogether, the interior is remarkably quiet, stylish and upscale, with high-quality materials, exemplary fit and finish, and advanced seating comfort and ergonomics.
Contemporary onboard electronics help the Accord driver seamlessly interface with the latest generation of compatible personal mobile electronics. Features include a bright, full-color 8-inch (diagonal) “intelligent” Multi-Information Display (i-MID), a new available Audio with touchscreen display, Pandora® internet radio interface, SMS text messaging and a Bluetooth®2 HandsFreeLink® phone interface. A Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation SystemTM with Voice Recognition and FM Traffic is also available.
The 2013 Accord is also the first Honda product to offer available HondaLinkTM technology, which works with the owner’s compatible smartphone to connect the Accord with music and media resources such as AhaTM by Harman, internet apps, roadside assistance and more. Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) are also available.
The 2013 Accord Sedan and Coupe offer the greatest range of active and passive safety features in Honda history. Vehicle Stability AssistTM (VSA®) is standard on all Accord models, and available new technologies include Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW).
Collision safety engineering includes the updated Advanced Compatibility EngineeringTM (ACETM) body structure, which improves occupant protection and crash compatibility in frontal collisions, and the most extensive use of high-strength steel in Accord history. The Accord’s impact-absorbing front body design can even help attenuate energy in the event of a frontal collision with a pedestrian.
Passive-safety features include six airbags, including dual-stage, multiple-threshold front airbags, front side airbags, and side curtain airbags. New SmartVentTM side airbags reduce the risk of excessive airbag deployment force and eliminate the need for the Accord’s previous Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS).
Based on internal testing, both the 2013 Accord Sedan and Coupe are expected to earn a TOP SAFETY PICK rating from the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS) and 5-star ratings in federal National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) crash tests3.
Celebrating 30 years of Accord production in the United States, the all-new 2013 Honda represents the expanding capabilities of Honda in North America. Virtually every aspect of the Accord was developed, tested and finalized by Honda associates throughout California and Ohio. The Accord is produced4 at two plants in Ohio by Honda of America Mfg. Inc. using domestic and globally sourced parts.
1 Based on 2013 EPA mileage estimates. Use for comparison purposes only. Do not compare to models before 2008. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.
2 Certain functions that rely on a satellite signal will not work correctly in Hawaii and Alaska. These functions include but are not limited to automatic clock updates and time zone adjustments.
3 Based on frontal crash- and side crash-safety ratings and Overall Vehicle Score in the NHTSA NCAP testing. Government 5-Star Safety Ratings are part of NHTSA's New Car Assessment Program (www.SaferCar.gov). Model tested with standard side airbags (SABs). Vehicles tested under the new program cannot be compared to MY10 and earlier vehicles.
4 Honda products are produced using domestic and globally sourced parts.
® The Bluetooth word mark and logos are owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and any use of such marks by Honda Motor Co., Ltd is under license.
® HomeLink is a registered trademark of Johnson Controls, Inc.
® iPod is a registered trademark of Apple, Inc. All rights reserved. iPod not included.
® Sirius, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of Sirius XM Radio Inc. and its subsidiaries.
® Pandora, the Pandora logo and other Pandora marks are trademarks or registered trademarks of Pandora Media, Inc. or its subsidiaries worldwide.
Photo Galleries (100's of photos)
2013 Honda Accord Sedan PR Photo Gallery
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe PR Photo Gallery
2013 Honda Accord Sport PR Photo Gallery
2013 Honda Accord PHEV PR Photo Gallery
For specifications, visit this link: 2013 Honda Accord Specs
A Few (Possibly Noteworthy) Items
- The new Earth Dreams VCM V6 (VCM is only on 6AT models) has true VTEC on the intake side - there are now distinct low rpm and high rpm cam profiles. This improves low and mid-range torque tremendously.
- VCM operation is 3- or 6-cylinder mode, no longer 3, 4, 6-cylinder operation.
- The Earth Dreams 2.4L is labeled as a K24W. The K-series lives!
- The Earth Dreams 3.5L V6 wears a J35Y label. (The J-series lives!)
- The 6-speed manual transmissions are new designs
- The LaneWatch camera is automatically activated when the right turn signals are activated (this can be turned off in the customized settings). The LaneWatch camera can be instantly activated via a button on the end of the turn signal stalk and it will remain active until the button is tapped again.
- DRIVING IMPRESSIONS EMBARGOED UNTIL 9/10 We'll see how many outlets actually honor that date. A number of them busted the 9/5 /12 6:00AM EST embargo for the information you're reading here, which is why we went ahead and released this info a couple hours ahead of the embargo
Brief Accord PHEV notes
- Accord PHEV's hybrid system features a 124-kW electric motor powered by a 6.7-kWh Li-Ion battery pack.
- The gasoline engine is a 2.0L Atkinson cycle DOHC i-VTEC I-4, and produces a maximum 137 horsepower (hp) at 6200 rpm, 122lb-ft@4500 rpm
- The maximum total combined power output peaks at 196 hp.
- Maximum combined torque output is 226 lb-ft.
- EV range is projected at 10-15miles.
- Full recharge achieved in less than 1hour, (with 240V charger).
Last edited by JeffX on
September 05, 2012 03:49