American Honda Reports May Auto Sales
Date: June 01, 2012 13:37
Honda Press Release
Civic, CR-V and Accord Fuel Honda Double-Digit Sales Gain; New Acura RDX Sets All-Time Monthly Sales Record
Honda division sales up 46 percent, Acura sales up 62 percent
06/01/2012 - TORRANCE, Calif
American Honda today reported May 2012 U.S. sales of 133,997 units, an increase of 47.6 percent compared to May 2011 (an increase of 36.3 percent based on the daily selling rate*). The Honda Division posted May 2012 sales of 119,411 units, an increase of 46.0 percent compared to May 2011. Acura’s U.S. May sales of 14,586 units increased 62.1 percent compared to May 2011.
- Civic sales up more than 80 percent compared to May 2011; an exceptional sales figure for any month, Honda sold 33,490 Civics in May
- CR-V sets a May sales record (25,186 units), besting previous record by 5,226 units, leading Honda to a May record for light truck sales
- Accord sales (29,737 units) continue to show strength in the tough mid-size segment, up more than 70 percent from May 2011
"With our best May sales performance since before the financial crisis it’s obvious Honda’s return to strength is in full swing,, and our May sales are impressive irrespective of last year’s production supply problems,” said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of sales. “Any time Honda Civic sales surpass 33,000 units in a month, it shows real demand in the marketplace."
- Total Acura sales of 14,586 units were up 62.1 percent, making this Acura’s best month since December of 2010
- The RDX had its best sales month ever (3,301 units), with May 2012 sales up 216.8 percent. The RDX is expected to be at the top of the compact luxury SUV segment
- Overall, Acura light trucks posted a best-ever May result of 8,226 units, up 64.7 percent
- The all-new ILX compact luxury sedan went on sale May 22. As dealer inventory builds, the ILX marketing campaign launches with national TV advertising beginning in early June with the NBA conference finals on ESPN
“With the new RDX setting an all-time sales record this month, Acura went well beyond recovering from last year’s supply issues,” said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales. “Now, with the new ILX reaching dealerships across America, Acura is just beginning a great new hot streak.”
*The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 26 days for May 2012 and 24 days for May 2011. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 127 days for 2012 and 126 days for 2011. All other percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.
Last edited by JeffX on
June 01, 2012 13:38