[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Repair and Maintenance --> cylinder #1 running rich.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: FRS/86/BRZ Recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Honda Envix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Type S In New York?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I found the answer for solving EUs horrible car lineup
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Next gen TLX spied...
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > (i think i wore out my tape)

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
pongkai
Profile for pongkai
(i think i wore out my tape)    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2003 23:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Ok, I've reviewed the tape again. Wong, although I no longer put all blame on Button, I still do not share your interpretation of the events. My conclusion is that both accidents were racing incidents, and I'm not just taking the 'safe' answer.

Regarding the Trulli encounter: they both could have made steps to avoid the collision, but neither did. They were just too close, that's all. If you look at RB and Alonso ahead of them, they gave each other plenty of space to get through the turn. But DC and Trulli were much closer together. So they collided, end of story. Furthermore, and you mentioned it, Trulli did actually move in to DC. Trulli altered his line, while I could not detect DC changing his line. So if I had to blame someone, I would blame Trulli. True, DC could have given him more space, but I see nothing flagrant with DC deciding to hold his line. Bottom line, if they had given each other more breathing room, they would have made it through like RB and Alonso. But DC decided not to move to accomodate, so I call it a racing incident.

Regarding the Button encounter: they both could have made steps to avoid the collision, but neither did. Hmm. First, ignore the results and just look at Button's setup and execution of the pass. I'm sorry, but it was pathetic! Does he call that late braking? I didn't see any late braking or any attempt to outbrake DC. Note how far up Button was on DC at initial turn-in -- NOT far at all.. Button's front wing was up to DC's rear wing, maybe a tad more. There is no way he would have successfully made that pass, no matter how accomodating DC could have been. In other words, he would have been better off backing out and waiting for the next lap to try again. Look at Montoya's pass on Button on lap 4.. THAT'S how it's supposed to be done. Now, moving on to DC. I'm gonna go ahead and believe him when he said that he was not aware Button was there. And therein lies his fault. What was he doing, sleeping at the wheel? Had he not been reading his pitboard for the last 4 laps which probably was saying WATCH THE **** OUT FOR BUTTON?? Wake up, DC! And regarding DC's strange line going into turn 1, yes, it definitely looks like he was intentionally squeezing Button, but I took a look at the same camera angle from another lap, and DC had the same line. A very narrow entry into the corner, yes, but I think it was just his regular line. You can tell if you compare it to Mark Webber's line.

So in conclusion, if DC had been awake during lap 17, he would have known to watch out for Button. He could have just let Button come alongside during turn 1, and then promptly dusted him off going into turn 2, a lefthander. No problems. On the other hand, if Button had realized that he had NOT successfully outbraked DC, he would have known that he had no business diving his nose in where it didn't belong. So, they both contributed, and they both suffered for it. So I call it racing.

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0