[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Passport spy pics
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "Moose Test". Nissan Kicks fail
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: No more 3rd gen FC Clarity, Hello 2020 4th gen
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: Finding a good Synthetic 5W-20 Oil

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
VTECintheVeins
Profile for VTECintheVeins
Finding a good Synthetic 5W-20 Oil    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2003 02:17
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Well I've been running around trying to find a good Synthetic 5W-20 for my 2003 Si, and I've only noticed that the only one I could find in Big Bear Lake was 3 quarts of Mobile1 on the shelf at K-Mart.

Now some people think synthetic is a waste of money, but considering how much we spend on our cars anyway, I don't see how it can hurt to put the best in, even if it's hard to find.

5W-20 doesn't seem like a very easy to find viscosity, especially in Full Synthetic, and some stupid lady at NAPA told me she had it, then brought out a case of 5W-30....

Me: That's 5W-30 and it's Synthetic Blend

Lady: Yes but it's all the same, I don't put the reccomended oil in my Odessey and it's a honda.

Me: Uh Huh, Well, Have a nice day *Leaves*

Oh well, I'll just have to find it elsewhere.

Anyone know a good Full Synthetic 5W-20 that I can buy in cases?

00Prelude00
Profile for 00Prelude00
Re: Finding a good Synthetic 5W-20 Oil    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2003 06:23
Currently the only brand I've found in the U.S. that makes and sells 5W-20 Full Synthetic is Amsoil.
90Ac02Si
Profile for 90Ac02Si
Re: Finding a good Synthetic 5W-20 Oil    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2003 17:17
Royal Purple makes a 5W-20 in full synthetic, with the required API certification, which I am going to try. I've already bought some up, at $4.99/qt.

Redline produces a 5W-20 full synthetic, but it is for their racing line and it is not API certified, last I checked.

Mobil 1 is about to introduce a 0W-20 full synthetic, though frankly, I'm not sure how that differs from a 5W-20 in practice. I've read that Mobil 1's 5W-30 is actually "thin", making it closer to a 5W-20 in practice, so many are using it where 5W-20 oil is called for.

Amsoil's 5W-20 isn't a "full-synthetic" in the same sense as the oils mentioned above. The oils I already listed are made from Group IV or Group V base stocks, which are fully synthetic in origin. Amsoil's 5W-20 is made from a Group III stock, which is a significantly reworked dino oil that can now legally be marketed as "synthetic". Amsoil's 5W-20 oil with API certification is not made with the same base stock as that used in their more famous oils with the advertised 25,000 mile drain intervals, and they explain this on their web site. A Group III "synthetic" can still be an excellent motoroil, however.

From what I've read on the web (since I bought up the Royal Purple), Honda's own 5W-20 isn't a bad oil at all. It's made for Honda by ExxonMobil, it's a synthetic blend (synthetic and dino oils), and it has a good dose of molybdenum in it.

Ford's Motorcraft 5W-20 motoroil is probably very similar to Honda's, and there are other reputedly good 5W-20 synthetic blends on the market. I believe Penzoil has one, for example.

As far as I know, all 5W-20 motoroils are synthetic blends or full synthetics. I have heard of no 5W-20 in pure dino-oil.

I might point out that I have driven 206,000 miles using Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 oil in my 1990 Accord. This is a high-quality synthetic blend with molybdenum, and I have been very pleased with the results. The old Accord still runs beautifully. The fact that Schaeffer's doesn't offer a 5W-20 is what sent me looking for alternatives for my 2002 Civic Si. Though I like the idea of a full-synthetic motoroil, my experience with Schaeffer's synthetic blend (and good results reported on the Internet) indicate that a high-quality synthetic blend can provide excellent service. Because of the dust in Eastern Washington, I still change my oil and filter every 3000 miles. If I lived somewhere else, and were considering very long drain intervals, I might be more inclined to require a full-synthetic.

In my own case, I will see if there is any observable difference in performance and efficiency between Royal Purple ($4.99/qt) and Honda motoroil ($1.99/qt) in my 2002 Civic Si. If not, I may well settle for Honda's 5W-20 until I find data that would lead me to do otherwise.

I hope this helps. Since I bought my Civic Si in 10/2002, I've been looking for definitive answers to the big 5W-20 vs 5W-30 debate, which is the best 5W-20 oil, and which is the best oil filter. I've found that there are no clear, definitive answers to any of these questions. In terms of oil, I haven't heard or read anything negative about any of the current 5W-20 oils.

doctorcliff
Profile for doctorcliff
Re: Finding a good Synthetic 5W-20 Oil    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2003 23:32
i use NEO synthetics, from baker precision in signal hill ,ca.
i've used NEO stuff for 15 years or so with no complaints.
i think the closest they have is a 5W-30. that's what is use in the rsx/s. i understand the diff btwn 5W20 and 5W30 but i can't imagine you'd ever wreck anything by going 5W30. hope this helps.

Nynvolt
Profile for Nynvolt
Re: Finding a good Synthetic 5W-20 Oil    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2003 10:05
for what it's worth, check this out http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/ford5w20.htm

Basically it says you don't need 5W-20. That by reducing your fuel consumption, even a very miniscule amount, (like 1/10th of a MPG using very thin motor oil) by volume it lowers manufactures CAFE rating.

I also found some other junk with a simple search, didn't know there was so much to think about when choosing a motor oil :p

Really, if your not looking to save money, then why not just go with Honda's motor oil. I've heard people talk about HP gains but can't imagine you'd see much diffrence since the oil is already ultra low viscosity (less resistance).

Honda04
Profile for Honda04
Re: Finding a good Synthetic 5W-20 Oil    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2003 12:32
I have been doing my science fair topics on motor oils for about the last 4 years. Every year I have received a superior, twice at the state level. What I have discovered that is there is very little difference between a 5W-20 oil and say a 10W-30 oil. Figures for each were very close each time. The kinematic visocosity (measured in centistrokes with a viscometer) were close. I don't have the numbers with me right now as I am not at home, but my results showed that both performed equally well. I think from memory that Amsoil was around mid 50's cST and Mobil 1 was around high 50's to 60 cST. The 5W-20 motor oil I tested was Amsoil. The 10W-30 was Mobil 1. In the wear protection category both protected against wear extremely well. The Mobil 1 recorded a weight loss of approximately .0003 g. The Amsoil was better at .0002 g, but as you can see hardly any difference. These were tested under extreme condition showing that synthetic motor oils were a vast improvement over conventional. The final conclusion is that all synthetics tested (Amsoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Quaker State) were near equal in performance.
Honda04
Profile for Honda04
Re: Finding a good Synthetic 5W-20 Oil    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2003 12:33
I have been doing my science fair topics on motor oils for about the last 4 years. Every year I have received a superior, twice at the state level. What I have discovered that is there is very little difference between a 5W-20 oil and say a 10W-30 oil. Figures for each were very close each time. The kinematic visocosity (measured in centistrokes with a viscometer) were close. I don't have the numbers with me right now as I am not at home, but my results showed that both performed equally well. I think from memory that Amsoil was around mid 50's cST and Mobil 1 was around high 50's to 60 cST. The 5W-20 motor oil I tested was Amsoil. The 10W-30 was Mobil 1. In the wear protection category both protected against wear extremely well. The Mobil 1 recorded a weight loss of approximately .0003 g. The Amsoil was better at .0002 g, but as you can see hardly any difference. These were tested under extreme condition showing that synthetic motor oils were a vast improvement over conventional. The final conclusion is that all synthetics tested (Amsoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Quaker State) were near equal in performance.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0