[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic Interior first picture
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: '19 Variations on the CTR?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 10th generation Accord Mk2 - niggles fixed with minor tweaks!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Aragon MotoGP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A big finger to handbrake turns
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ford "pulls an Acura" in their latest commercial
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mazda CX-5 to get 2.5 Turbo Engine?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Custom Paint Job Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Inspire test drive video
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: 2018 Acura NSX Review - The Best Everyday Supercar
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RL / Legend > > Re: Consumer Reports Damns the RL with faint praise

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Consumer Reports Damns the RL with faint praise    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2010 17:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The latest consumer reports issue rates the RL 4th among luxury sedans, better than the 5 series A6 and E320, however it bitches that its not much better than the TL and that it doesn't feel like a 50K car. What a stupid comment! Although the european competition is rated lower and COSTS MORE, why the idiotic remark? I guess those feel like 50K because they are made in Germany....STUPID.
dydx
Profile for dydx
Re: Consumer Reports Damns the RL with faint praise    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2010 19:07
I think it feels like a 50K car (plush leather, high quality grade plastic), but I can see where they're coming from.

The RL does have some sprinkling of cheap materials inside it. The interior door release lever, for example, is still that Honda plastic faux metal type. Not even chrome gilded like in past Hondas (before Honda turned to this fixation and started putting this horrible design choice in all its cars...thank God they wisened up and changed that on the MDX refresh...but ZDX is stuck with it for now). I hope this decision changes ASAP for near future Hondas.

Fake wood veneer on base models - granted you're not going to touch it and feel that it's fake, but at 50K it's skimping. And if you're keen on these things, you'll realize that polished wood veneer has a glossy finish while the faux wood simply reflects sunlight that hits it. These two situations are not the same.

The center stack - Acura likes to call it satin nickel or whatever; again, the faux metal does not help the case.

However, the number of high quality materials inside the cabin far surpasses the low quality materials. The standard leather seats are among the best in class - i am simply baffled when people bitch about the quality of the leather in the RL. Anyone else notice the sparkles/glitter in the black trim near the air vents? The assembly of the interior is almost NSX territory.

With that said, CR is being too hard on the Acura. The Lexus GS has buttery soft leather - and plastic quality you can find in a Toyota Corolla. Don't believe me? Play with that hideaway side mirror adjusting thingy on the lower dash - it feels downright flimsy. The BMW's plastics aren't any better. They just have grain texture on them, that doesn't translate to a higher feel grade of plastic. Faux metal interior trim pieces? Lexus has it too, check out that center stack. I don't believe anyone who writes that the plastic on the E class is high quality - it feels as low quality as it looks in pictures. The only interior that is better than the RL's in this price range belongs on the Audi A6 and the Jaguar XJ.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Consumer Reports Damns the RL with faint praise    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2010 19:46
And that is the sad part with the RLegendo - it is just a few small details that mean it misses the mark with the majority!! But for my money, nothing comes close, especially here in Australia!

Having said that, after 95,000km since November 2006 I'm a little taken aback about how some of the trim and buttons are wearing, with scuff and scratch marks already very evident. But every time I get to drive it [my partner uses it as her daily driver, I just use it on weekends] it puts a smile on my face.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like another 50bhp and another gear! :)

MitchFlorida
Profile for MitchFlorida
Re: Consumer Reports Damns the RL with faint praise    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2010 18:19
People spend $50,000 for luxury and status. And Acura doesn't have the status factor of Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus, or even Infiniti.
aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: Consumer Reports Damns the RL with faint praise    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2010 18:50
Exactly. Prestige goes a long way. Acura has NONE, especially with all the moves they've been making recently, so they can't charge for it, sorry.
stpierrewm
Profile for stpierrewm
Re: Consumer Reports Damns the RL with faint praise    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2010 21:33
Where did you see this? The latest Consumer Reports issue rates the Nissan Altima, Suzuki Kizashi, and Hyundai Sonata. And also, this is EXACTLY what their review says about the RL's interior. It says nothing about cheapness.

Inside The Cabin

The RL's high-quality interior has nicer materials and better fit and finish than the cheaper TL, with nice wood trim and stitched leather seats.

The rest of the section just talks about the ergonomics of the interior, and has nothing to do with quality. Where did you make up this Consumer Reports stuff?

talon95
Profile for talon95
Re: Consumer Reports Damns the RL with faint praise    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-17-2010 22:36
It's not made up. The very first line of the full test of the RL:

"The Acura RL is very pleasant, but not luxurious enough to justify its $50,000 price tag."

They also make the statement that you posted, so what prompted the line that I quoted is hard to determine. But they did indeed say it.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0