[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
More.......................
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Honda Partners on General Motors’ Next Gen Battery Development
Trucks Set Records as Core Products Deliver American Honda May Sales Gains
First in a Generation: All-New 2019 Acura RDX Arrives in Showrooms June 1
MDX --> Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: 1999 Zanardi NSX 6MT, 2008 CR S2000 for sale
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Volvo S60
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Nikkei: Battery wars: Japan teams up for next-gen electric cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 World Cup
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Next gen RLX and ILX
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Some juicy Acura info!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0T Touring or Kia Stinger 2.0T Premium?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Autobild report: Red Bull switching to Honda
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: JP CR-V to debut with 1.5L iMMD, 3rd row option
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > In first month on sale, Honda CR-Z sells at 10 times the monthly plan > > Re: Several comments

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 08:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Well, I posted this on the CR-Z forum, but since it became a news item, here it goes again to fuel discussion.

- As I've said on a previous topic, it is the norm for any successfully launched car in Japan to largely surpass its monthly target on its first month, but it IS extraordinary for it to do it by 10 times ! For as long as I've been monitoring those things, this has never happened before.

- I don't think anyone would have guessed about this start a month or two ago. Sure this kind of selling pace won't last, but for sure Honda must be encouraged by it.

- Pretty much surprised about the high MT penetration, although I would put that on the novelty of this offer alone, and certainly expect it to fade quickly with time. Still, good news for stick-lovers !

- It seems to me that the beta trim isn't priced low enough to attract more budget conscious buyers. Myself being considering a CR-Z in Japan, I don't really need the alpha, but when you consider the price for both it's difficult to make a good case for the beta. That said, given the current sales performance I don't think they really care, but for the beta to make sense it has to be cheaper.

- Don't read too much on the "options popularity", because all of those over 90% are simply offered as "standard equipment" on the alpha. The only real "option" in there is the navy, which may have reached a penetration record with this car. I would have guessed that the possibility of tracking one's mileage both on the navy and at home, together with the reasonably popular nation-wide EcoGP challenge is adding value to the navy ownership.

jero
Profile for jero
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 08:37
Any word on the US release date yet? For our US dealers here, do any of you have deposits in hand and a waiting list for the CR-Z?

It is great news it is doing well out of the gate in Japan, but as people have posted before in other threads the drop off can be pretty steep after the first couple months.

Mike Freitas
Profile for Mike Freitas
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 08:46
Daniel,
Well like you said it is extraordinary in Japan for such sales numbers. But as I wrote earlier, while living in Japan for 11 years, I noticed that the Japanese like to have the newest most current offerings, whether it be automobiles or video games or clothing items. When the S2000 came out in 1999 (in Japan), it was insane as to how many were sold. And now look we are having the same scenario all over again with the CR-Z.
I will give it at most 6 months and after that the frenzy will die down and a 'new product' will emerge, and if it is well received it too will be a sales success.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 09:02
Mike Freitas wrote:
Daniel,
Well like you said it is extraordinary in Japan for such sales numbers. But as I wrote earlier, while living in Japan for 11 years, I noticed that the Japanese like to have the newest most current offerings, whether it be automobiles or video games or clothing items. When the S2000 came out in 1999 (in Japan), it was insane as to how many were sold. And now look we are having the same scenario all over again with the CR-Z.
I will give it at most 6 months and after that the frenzy will die down and a 'new product' will emerge, and if it is well received it too will be a sales success.

I also wrote it there with many details Mike (follow the link I provided). It is normal to sell 3, 4 times more than the monthly sales, 10 is not.

Sure it will fade, but it IS expected to fade. The point is that it is not the same to fade after starting with 3 or 4 times the target, than to fade after starting with 10 times that mark. For example, no matter how much it fades from now on, it's already pretty sure that Honda will meet its yearly target for Japan, which would not be warranted if it had started at 3k orders. As I said on my previous post also, I believe Japanese sales targets are for "1st year", because the vast majority of models fade miserably after such period.

I think the CR-Z's reception has been so good because there is nothing like it right now in the market. In Japan though, it usually doesn't take long for the other makers to react with a similar product, at which point sales of the initial leader drop incredibly (specially when the one catching up is Toyota). Now, will Toyota be able to bring something like the CR-Z anytime soon? That is the question, because Nissan can't do it.

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 09:19
danielgr wrote:
Well, I posted this on the CR-Z forum, but since it became a news item, here it goes again to fuel discussion.

- As I've said on a previous topic, it is the norm for any successfully launched car in Japan to largely surpass its monthly target on its first month, but it IS extraordinary for it to do it by 10 times ! For as long as I've been monitoring those things, this has never happened before.

- I don't think anyone would have guessed about this start a month or two ago. Sure this kind of selling pace won't last, but for sure Honda must be encouraged by it.

- Pretty much surprised about the high MT penetration, although I would put that on the novelty of this offer alone, and certainly expect it to fade quickly with time. Still, good news for stick-lovers !

- It seems to me that the beta trim isn't priced low enough to attract more budget conscious buyers. Myself being considering a CR-Z in Japan, I don't really need the alpha, but when you consider the price for both it's difficult to make a good case for the beta. That said, given the current sales performance I don't think they really care, but for the beta to make sense it has to be cheaper.

- Don't read too much on the "options popularity", because all of those over 90% are simply offered as "standard equipment" on the alpha. The only real "option" in there is the navy, which may have reached a penetration record with this car. I would have guessed that the possibility of tracking one's mileage both on the navy and at home, together with the reasonably popular nation-wide EcoGP challenge is adding value to the navy ownership.

It's refreshing...............I am surprised about the 40%# on the manual too. What REALLY surprised me was the WHITE............We sell very few white cars in N.E. Ohio, but in VA, PA and most other parts white cars seem to be gaining popularity. To me, there is NOTHING like a White Honda. It would be my first pick in any Honda/Acura model.

For the Nay Sayers, it's early and the states haven't got their mitts on it yet, but we are a stupid and backwards market, so I base my opinion on MY testing, not those of others. We would rather drive Escalades and Hummers then sporty manual wagons, so I really can't put much faith in the American buyer.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 09:37
HONDA AFVM wrote:
danielgr wrote:

It's refreshing...............I am surprised about the 40%# on the manual too. What REALLY surprised me was the WHITE............We sell very few white cars in N.E. Ohio, but in VA, PA and most other parts white cars seem to be gaining popularity. To me, there is NOTHING like a White Honda. It would be my first pick in any Honda/Acura model.

For the Nay Sayers, it's early and the states haven't got their mitts on it yet, but we are a stupid and backwards market, so I base my opinion on MY testing, not those of others. We would rather drive Escalades and Hummers then sporty manual wagons, so I really can't put much faith in the American buyer.

Actually, in Japan the white has also always been "the worst colour". I believe most of it comes from the time "white" was supposed to be the cheapest (non metallic) flavour, and the one that all companies use for their decontented company-vehicles. Kind of "the poor man's colour".

Honda has though a long tradition of special white cars, starting with all the TypeRs up to now. Also, in recent days, with the arrival of "Pearl White" versions, it has become very popular with hybrid buyers. As such, I was certainly expecting the "white" to be the most popular colour for a car that is both "a sports(y) Honda" and "a hybrid", so that one took me prepeared (although I don't think it will last; silver always ends up leading...). Already for the Insight white was the most popular choice among the first month buyers (and btw, our Insight is white and we love it ! :) )

And after so much chatting comes the actual info for you Honda AFVM. White is so popular that for the CR-Z you have to pay a premium for it : 30k JPY (about 300 USD) more than any other colour ! You can tell Honda marketing/planing people did a good job... and I can't say I enjoy it. I'd rather have a more "fair" approach to pricing, and I don't think it costs them anything more to paint the car in white than other colours...

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 10:01
HONDA AFVM wrote:
What REALLY surprised me was the WHITE...........
In my opinion, white is doing so well because the other color choices are pretty lame.

-The silver is just another dark gray blend, whereas I think Honda needs to go back to pure silver (like the 90's Vogue Silver) - for the Fit, too.

-The blue is just odd... leaning more towards "teal" on the spectrum than a classic navy blue. Electron Blue or Fiji Blue would be better.

-Dark green is just dumb. I'd like to see the Fit's Blackberry Pearl in its place.

-Orange clearly isn't going over well. An S2000/CRX-like yellow would be more popular, I suspect.

I'm interested to see what the US will get. I like the CR-Z, but right now I can't find a color I like. (Apart from white, but I don't want to own a white car).

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 10:14
Potenza wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
In my opinion, white is doing so well because the other color choices are pretty lame.

-The silver is just another dark gray blend, whereas I think Honda needs to go back to pure silver (like the 90's Vogue Silver) - for the Fit, too.

-The blue is just odd... leaning more towards "teal" on the spectrum than a classic navy blue. Electron Blue or Fiji Blue would be better.

-Dark green is just dumb. I'd like to see the Fit's Blackberry Pearl in its place.

-Orange clearly isn't going over well. An S2000/CRX-like yellow would be more popular, I suspect.

I'm interested to see what the US will get. I like the CR-Z, but right now I can't find a color I like. (Apart from white, but I don't want to own a white car).

I don't think the US color palette is going to be anything close to this one, but I wouldn't agree on your reasoning. For example, the Insight was available in :
- light silver & (darker) gray
- light blue & (kind of navy, darker) blue

Yet white outsold them all on the first month...

If I get one it'll be white or orange ! (problem with the orange comes when selling it back ...)

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 10:21
danielgr wrote:
Potenza wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:

I don't think the US color palette is going to be anything close to this one, but I wouldn't agree on your reasoning. For example, the Insight was available in :
- light silver & (darker) gray
- light blue & (kind of navy, darker) blue

Yet white outsold them all on the first month...

If I get one it'll be white or orange ! (problem with the orange comes when selling it back ...)

Besides, white is really becoming popular among "ECO" cars, and it seems that it's now reaching beyond hybrids. Honda provides info on the top three selling colours on each month in Japan, and for the Fit, this newly available Premium White Pearl was ranked 3rd in February (behind both silvers).

And you can choose among all this many colours for the Fit in Japan (link)

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 11:03
Potenza wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:

All Honda sports/sporty/sorta kinda sporty cars should be in championship white! =)

MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 13:05
The version sold in Japan has rear seats.

I bet things will be quite different in the U.S.

For BMW, Audi etc. you have to pay extra to get metallic paint, so white/black/red makes some sense.

Honda-D
Profile for Honda-D
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 13:32
So.... it sold 10 months of allocation in 1 month. Since CR-Z is exclusively built in Japan and USD is at a all time low, will we even see CR-Z lands in North America in 2010?

I don't see Honda would even try to sell in US until allocation problem is resolved.

AND, why would you build 10K in 1 month when you only expect selling 12K for a year? What kind of planning is this? Or the 10K quoted are just orders and it may take months for the delivery?

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 13:58
Honda-D wrote:
So.... it sold 10 months of allocation in 1 month. Since CR-Z is exclusively built in Japan and USD is at a all time low, will we even see CR-Z lands in North America in 2010?

I don't see Honda would even try to sell in US until allocation problem is resolved.

AND, why would you build 10K in 1 month when you only expect selling 12K for a year? What kind of planning is this? Or the 10K quoted are just orders and it may take months for the delivery?
Those are orders. By the time they reached 7k after 2 weeks people had already to wait for at least 3 months before getting theirs; I don't want to know how long is the waiting list now.

That said, I don't think Honda is going to delay US/Europe introduction by any means. If demand in both US/Europe is low, they may not even need to adjust anything, because things will balance as they did for the Insight. If demand in Europe and/or Japan is as strong as they've expected (or more), they will clearly need to rise up production capacity or people will have to wait (and Honda has never liked that), but they have time to think about that. Again, it's supposed to be built along the Insight, so I'd guess that Honda's traditional manufacturing flexibility will play in their favor.

A final word, I think their biggest problem will be in the first couple of months. On the Insight, Honda ramped up production little by little, and reach full speed at about the third month.

That is also why I believe sales start for the EU/USA is scheduled at the begining of June, which is about 3 months after the Japanese debut (give it a month to build the initial stock for those markets). For the Insight it was an early February start in Japan, and somewhere about April for EU/USA. Besides, even at 10k, the CR-Z remains a slow selling car (that's about the ammount of Insights Honda was moving past year in Japan monthly), so I don't think they'll find it too difficult to adapt to demand.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 14:03
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:
[...]For BMW, Audi etc. you have to pay extra to get metallic paint, so white/black/red makes some sense.
I'm not sure I understand your point, but if you are saying that it makes sense for "white to be on top because it's cheaper", as I mentioned in a previous post, this is a special kind of "white pearl".
For the CR-Z, not only it's not cheaper, it's actually the only colour of the list that costs you extra money (about 300USD).

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 15:25
danielgr wrote:
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:
[...]For BMW, Audi etc. you have to pay extra to get metallic paint, so white/black/red makes some sense.
I'm not sure I understand your point, but if you are saying that it makes sense for "white to be on top because it's cheaper", as I mentioned in a previous post, this is a special kind of "white pearl".
For the CR-Z, not only it's not cheaper, it's actually the only colour of the list that costs you extra money (about 300USD).

Back in 1999 when Acura first introduced white diamond pearl we were told that this was a very difficult color to paint and that it required an additional step over other metallic finished cars. Because charging an extra $300 for this color went against Acura's mindset, they responded to this dilemma by constraining pearl white production to 18%.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 17:50
Colin wrote:
danielgr wrote:
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:

Back in 1999 when Acura first introduced white diamond pearl we were told that this was a very difficult color to paint and that it required an additional step over other metallic finished cars. Because charging an extra $300 for this color went against Acura's mindset, they responded to this dilemma by constraining pearl white production to 18%.

our TL Type S was WDP. It looked pretty good but there were tons of flaws in the paint. I don't know if it was because it was WDP or if it was just a shoddy process.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 18:01
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:
The version sold in Japan has rear seats.

I bet things will be quite different in the U.S.

For BMW, Audi etc. you have to pay extra to get metallic paint, so white/black/red makes some sense.

Of course things will be different in the US. Those rear seats are for Japanese children (think about that: Not even "children" as in our fatass North American kids, but Japanese kids who are even smaller). In any case, don't expect the same kind of reception in the US because our needs are different.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 18:13
Colin wrote:
danielgr wrote:
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:

Well, apparently, there must be something "special" about that white... I've just checked it up and it seems that all those "Premium XXX Pearl" colours (there are more than white available for other models) are always charged more for all the cars I've seen.

Actually, I've just checked my other statement as well, and the EU Insight is not offered in "Premium White Pearl", but in "Spectrum White Pearl".
Ironically, that's the other only "non Premium Pearl" that costs as well extra money in the Japanese Insight.

WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 18:51
Daniel, is that really coded 'Premium White Pearl' and not 'Taffeta White' right ?

From what I understand, 'Pearl' colours are always more expensive to paint than standard metallic colours. White Pearl and Black Pearl are the two most expensive colours to paint, Black Pearl especially, because of the fineness of the paint and also because Black seems to be the colour which shows out flaws easiest. So in the plant, it seems they need to do an additional step to make sure the paint surface is extra smooth. That was how it was with Nighthawk Black Pearl over here.

cyisalwayshungry
Profile for cyisalwayshungry
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 20:00
Pearl paints require an extra coat of paint to get the iridescent color(s).
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2010 20:04
WongKN wrote:
Daniel, is that really coded 'Premium White Pearl' and not 'Taffeta White' right ?

From what I understand, 'Pearl' colours are always more expensive to paint than standard metallic colours. White Pearl and Black Pearl are the two most expensive colours to paint, Black Pearl especially, because of the fineness of the paint and also because Black seems to be the colour which shows out flaws easiest. So in the plant, it seems they need to do an additional step to make sure the paint surface is extra smooth. That was how it was with Nighthawk Black Pearl over here.

Yes, it's named "Premium White Pearl"; in the Fit/Jazz for example you can get both that colour and the "Tafeta White" as well.

In the end, I checked out most of the JDM line-up out of curiosity ..

Actually, there are many "Pearl", "Metallic", and "plain" colours in the JDM car line-up, and none of them are charged. Right now it seems that Honda's Japanese policy is to charge extra money only the following :
- The "Spectrum White Pearl" (unique to the Insight)
- All the different "Premium xxxxx pearl" on different models.
- The "Super Platinium Metallic" (silver) on different models.

And a couple of extra colours only available for the Legend which I didn't include.

Chris_pnoy
Profile for Chris_pnoy
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2010 02:12
I wonder about those seats. Honda should have kept the rear seats in there for the US market. Instead of it competing against a VW Golf or a Mini Cooper, the CR-Z is classified as a two seater by the EPA. Most 2-seaters are actual sports cars or at least have far sportier intentions so insurance companies might charge a higher rate. I wouldn't drive a CR-Z if I'd be charged the same premiums as an S2000 driver would expect.

Either way I think Honda missed out on this one.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2010 04:14
Chris_pnoy wrote:
I wouldn't drive a CR-Z if I'd be charged the same premiums as an S2000 driver would expect.

Either way I think Honda missed out on this one.

Honestly, my S2000s were cheaper to insure than my current '08 TSX.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2010 06:07
Honda-D wrote:

Why do you think there are waiting lists for new cars? Whatever number you they predict to build, it will always be wrong.

M-B et al used to deliberately "engineer" the waiting lists for new models, in order to maintain premium prices. It all went horribly wrong with the poor-selling R230 SL and I think they've now grown up a bit.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2010 14:05
Nick Graves wrote:
Honda-D wrote:

Why do you think there are waiting lists for new cars? Whatever number you they predict to build, it will always be wrong.

Just to add, don't confuse projections with capacity. If they can get their suppliers to ramp up components, and they have the line capacity, I'm sure they can build more.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2010 14:53
Colin wrote:
Nick Graves wrote:
Honda-D wrote:

Just to add, don't confuse projections with capacity. If they can get their suppliers to ramp up components, and they have the line capacity, I'm sure they can build more.

That worked up to a point with the MINI.

But they had to expand the plant pretty rapidly after it opened.

With a new genre of car, it's really hard to predict...

Honda-D
Profile for Honda-D
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-25-2010 22:08
Pearl Paint for Acura in the past has been very uneven. The plastic bumper covers always come out in a different shade than the metal body.
IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2010 19:59
The Fit comes in Taffeta White, but only if you want the lower grade model. The RS if you want white, you are paying the additional 30000yen. I only wanted white and didn't care about the additional cost. A Honda should be white in my opinion.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Several comments [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2010 19:57
White was the most popular color in North America for all manufacturers in 2008, followed by black silver and grey. I don't have 2009 yet. so nothing strange about white being so popular. Its the Ipod generation.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0