[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
More.......................
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Honda Partners on General Motorsí Next Gen Battery Development
Trucks Set Records as Core Products Deliver American Honda May Sales Gains
First in a Generation: All-New 2019 Acura RDX Arrives in Showrooms June 1
Insight --> Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: 1999 Zanardi NSX 6MT, 2008 CR S2000 for sale
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Nikkei: Battery wars: Japan teams up for next-gen electric cars
Join Discussion......
Videos --> MS woman goes Dukes of Hazzard in her 9th Gen Civic EX
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 WC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Volvo S60
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Next gen RLX and ILX
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Some juicy Acura info!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0T Touring or Kia Stinger 2.0T Premium?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Autobild report: Red Bull switching to Honda
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > TOV Road Test: Church Automotive Acura RDX > > Re: 1st Day with the almighty Reflash

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

UnderPressure2
Profile for UnderPressure2
1st Day with the almighty Reflash [View Article]    (Score: 2, Informative) 09-21-2007 23:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Who doesnít love Fridays? I took the day off and it seemed like forever until Fedex arrived at 2pm. My ECU finally made its way home from its 6000 mile trip to the Hondata doctor, and my weekend officially began!

Be patient.. I am a writer.. (I never tell a short story)

So a little background on me so you know I have actually done more than drive through a Jiffy Lube and tell them to filler up. After 20 years behind the wheel, I'm the auto addict who probably has had more cars, all makes and models, old and new, (I don't discriminate), then most people do in a lifetime. It's a sickness and I don't want help. It's in the genes; dad spent his life, racing/building street rods, rebuilding classics. And before I came along mom used to race 1/4 mile with her best friends 454 Chevelle and tell the boys if you catch us you can 'date us', well something like that. And yeah, they always won..so I was told. I did live in S. Cali a long time ago for a year, and that was crazy street racing stuff, but Iím back in Mass now and finally starting to mellow out a little.

This is my 3rd vehicle to get a reflash. I had an SE-R with Stillen cams and reflash, and just about everything else on it, and that was one hard running little rocket. Then a Civic that Bill Gude set me up with a crazy prototype cam where I was the guinea pig. Boy did that work out.. with his reflash and race cam that motor had no bottom end but pulled to 8500rpm with nothing else internal done to it. I took Type-R's with that thing..and they were pissed and always thought I had NOS. God those were the days.

I think you get the idea.

So it was about 83 degrees today when I took the RDX for its test drive. Which I was glad, that way real world circumstances/hot temps would be in effect. Now with all my other reflashes the rev limiter was raised or removed. They haven't done that with this flash, but may later. So while driving normal I started to wonder, did they really flash this thing? I donít feel any differenceÖ But of course this is Hondata and they have a reputation that's not to be questioned.

So I drove on, trying to get out of the Friday traffic congestion in my Massachusetts urban area. It never totally happened but I sought out a few of my favorite, out of the way and bigger roadways that are not too busy and the least likely to have those cool guys driving around with the pretty blue LEDís all over their cars.

I get to my first empty road, and I'm all alone.. GO BABY GO!

Oops hold up a second. I first need to talk about the stock engine characteristics of the RDX. Of course for those out there who don't own one. And maybe a few others who never really get into the higher RPM's that often. From day one I noticed that Acura gave the RDX plenty of boost right off the bat, but as Shawn as talked about boost drops fast after 4500 rpm from approx 14psi down to 9 by 6500rpm. So if you're good at 'feeling' your motor as it revs up you can tell when you pass the peak HP and now your just working to get to the redline so you can shift to the next gear and start building HP again. This will slow your acceleration. So what the RDX had stock was a touch of turbo lag, followed by a huge rush of power in the midrange, and a disappointing high rpm, as you approach the redline. And this was one of my biggest pet peeves when I got the RDX. In my opinion I think Acura did this to make sure no damage would ever come to the motor. Though from what I'm told this motor was built way beyond the specs for what it does now. So of course I lived with this top end HP deficit and hoped for a day when someone would correct it. Well, that day was TODAY! Let me tell you, before, the rush was over after 5000rpm. I was in shock today when it boosted hard to 5k and then seemed to get another kick at 5500 rushing to the 6700rpm shift in the blink of an eye! It was heaven..

So I have some notes and ideas.

This thing pulls so hard I think the rev limiter should be bumped up to 7200 or so because boy when I hit it, ouch, it slammed hard. I think 7k will be the sweet shift point. Hopefully, that can happen a little down the road.

The only other thing that I hope can be tweaked is the 1st gear downshift speed. You canít get the tranny into 1st until like 28 mph and thatís way too low for the heavy little RDX. It makes it hard to use the SH-AWD going in and out of tight corners.

So those would be my first two suggestions for the code crackers. Iím sure Iíll have more after more time. I only drove about 30 miles today. Not to mention Iím going to double my HP gains when I get the downpipe and exhaust. Thatís in the works and now Iím psyched for it. Hell, the RDX needs a little growl to go with its big attitude.

Now I wouldnít want to incriminate myself and of course this whole story is fiction.. but lets say I was testing the RDX today going from 2nd to 3rd gear and gaining some serious speed.. I felt the power was being delivered in a sort of a jerky way. I had the feeling it was the exhaust holding it back. Just rough.. Iíll check that out after the exhaust is done.
And by this time it was about 68 degrees so I didnít think it was hot air temps. And I do run 93 octane.

Oh and I should mention I asked Shawn if he would mind me writing this and he said not a problem. And I know this may sound like a giant plug and advertisement to just get business. But I assure you itís not. I did this because itís what I like to do, and thought others who were thinking about the reflash would benefit from some feedback. If anyone has questions about my fictitious story, reply here and shoot away. ;)

Steven

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View Article]    (Score: -1, No Value Added) 09-30-2007 02:26

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message
MPilot
Profile for MPilot
Re: 1st Day with the almighty Reflash [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-01-2007 09:10
Any more feedback? Given that a lot of time has passed since you had the reflash done, any additional comments ?

Wavehogger
Profile for Wavehogger
Re: 1st Day with the almighty Reflash [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-05-2007 18:39
Not too much to add, but i'm waiting for Shawn to get some exhausts manufactured so I can take better advantage of the current reflash I have. One thing I definetly notice is that the colder air is really producing some serious power. I had my RDX through last winter and the reflash is way more noticable as the temps go down. And recently it was 40 degrees and it was just a whole different machine. So overall the comparison between no reflash and reflash in the summer 80-90 temps is a definite improvement but mostly in the top end power; though no where near the gain in the colder air temps. You get more power early and all the way to the redline. And I need the upgraded reflash now since I can't avoid hitting the limiter in sportshift mode in 1st gear. I hope that by next summer Shawn has an upgraded intercooler and CAI. Once you start it never ends...

anime_man24
Profile for anime_man24
Re: 1st Day with the almighty Reflash [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-08-2007 19:51
Just a question. Does the reflash add any noise or vibrations to the car? If the car is just as smooth with the reflashed ECU, I'll seriously consider getting it.
UnderPressure
Profile for UnderPressure
Re: 1st Day with the almighty Reflash [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2007 19:57
No it doesn't, but you may hear the boost build up a little sooner if you have the ear for it.
BLACURA SUVND9L
Profile for BLACURA SUVND9L
Re: 1st Day with the almighty Reflash [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2009 20:14
That is great to hear... I want to do some upgrades but still under extended warrantee... I think this would be a nice thing to do with a limited budget behind the curtains (shhh don't tell my mechanic). How much would that downpipe, etc... set me back (for when my warrantee is up)? And do you have any other suggestions for performance upgrades?

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0