[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
General Talk --> Re: Honda new teaser ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Supra may get 4cyl
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Assen TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: My next car?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Zak Brown: 2018 McLaren ‘weaker than last year’s car’
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type-R Fascia Changes spotted at Nurburgring
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Great lightning deal on Anker ROAV C1 Pro (2k resolution) dashcam - $75
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Honda steeped in Green for the long haul > > Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Terencemunro
Profile for Terencemunro
Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-22-2009 23:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The message from Ito San is clear!

Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere!!!!!!!

NickDC5
Profile for NickDC5
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-22-2009 23:12
We don't want to look elsewhere, but they give us little choice. :( They hook you with interesting cars from yesterfar, but abandon you once you've developed that brand loyalty. I want to buy more Hondas, but have no more Hondas to buy.
NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2009 00:09
NickDC5 wrote:
We don't want to look elsewhere, but they give us little choice. :( They hook you with interesting cars from yesterfar, but abandon you once you've developed that brand loyalty. I want to buy more Hondas, but have no more Hondas to buy.

If this was Facebook, I'd hit the like button to this comment.

AznSupastar
Profile for AznSupastar
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2009 01:19
it is a sad day for all of us sports car enthusiasts.

looks like i may have to buy that new toyobaru for my next car.

sry honda, but u leave me no choice when i have nothing to look forward to on my next sports car upgrade

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2009 04:24
NSXman wrote:
NickDC5 wrote:
If this was Facebook, I'd hit the like button to this comment.

Funny because I think you are both wrong.

Treehuggers couldn't care less about cars, or about driving, they'd rather have no cars at all and when forced would be more than happy to float in a Prius.

What Honda is doing is welcoming a new generation (the one from our age and the years to come) of car enthusiasts. Those like me that :
- do love cars and enjoy driving and mobility as one of their passions in life,
- yet remain environmentally conscious, and understand that one can't be selfish enough to think only about him/herself.

People that understand that "the era of V10's is gone", and that "people wishing for that are those that will be progressively left behind", because whether they like it or not "our societies need to move forward towards another model, another values".

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2009 07:41
The posters are right; at this point, Honda no longer has anything to offer to it's older boomer, buster and gen-x fans.

Like Daniel, many of the Gen-Yers have been beaten up with the received environ-wisdom and rightly or wrongly, want a different type of car. Honda is responding to this well.

Trouble is, all other cars are too big, too fat, too ugly and too platform-shared to impress me. I couldn't easily see how Honda could improve on the S2000/NSX et al. So I oddly find myself in agreement with both camps!

It is likely I shall add an NSX to the fleet at some point. But Honda has lost me as a repeat customer and I am a bit sad about that.

At present, only Lotus seems to fit in with my ideals and they use Toyota engines!

NickDC5
Profile for NickDC5
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2009 07:52
I'm only 23, so I have a few years left as a customer companies care about, right?

Plus, high school age kids seem to be interested in 240SXs, the Genesis coupe, RX-8s, and WRXs/Evos.

80honda
Profile for 80honda
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2009 09:09
NickDC5 wrote:
I'm only 23, so I have a few years left as a customer companies care about, right?

Plus, high school age kids seem to be interested in 240SXs, the Genesis coupe, RX-8s, and WRXs/Evos.

Thank God all the kids that love pimped-out riced-out ragged-out cars are switching to those brands.

(Cj)
Profile for (Cj)
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2009 09:59
Terencemunro wrote:
The message from Ito San is clear!

Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere!!!!!!!

+1

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2009 11:22
NickDC5 wrote:

I do not pretend to be representative of the whole world, but I do think that the proportion of people like me reaches its minima in the US, and not only among young people. I'd say even more, I would expect a place like TOV to be one of the ones with less people like myself.

Now, as I've said so many times in TOV; "the world doesn't end in your country's border", and it doesn't end in TOV either.

Varmint
Profile for Varmint
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2009 13:25
+1 I see a little irony in the current situation.

Honda became a viable brand in the 70's. At the time, concerns regarding gas were more salient than the desire for muscle car performance. Honda (and others) had the solution. Their little cars were fuel efficient.

Those little cars also garnered respect as platforms for sporty rides. Thus was born the sporty image Honda earned in the 80's. Ah, the golden years...

Anyway, rightly or wrongly, Honda is predicting another "crisis" of sorts. They are getting prepared now, so they are ready when it happens. It's like the 70's all over again.

Funny how so many here want Honda to return to the sort of cars they built in the 80's, but also whine and kvetch about the 70s-like conditions that would spur the company in that direction.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2009 13:30
Varmint wrote:
+1 I see a little irony in the current situation.

Honda became a viable brand in the 70's. At the time, concerns regarding gas were more salient than the desire for muscle car performance. Honda (and others) had the solution. Their little cars were fuel efficient.

Those little cars also garnered respect as platforms for sporty rides. Thus was born the sporty image Honda earned in the 80's. Ah, the golden years...

Anyway, rightly or wrongly, Honda is predicting another "crisis" of sorts. They are getting prepared now, so they are ready when it happens. It's like the 70's all over again.

Funny how so many here want Honda to return to the sort of cars they built in the 80's, but also whine and kvetch about the 70s-like conditions that would spur the company in that direction.

True enough. And it's why I do support their decision in the light of the new green religion breaking out everywhere. Just cause my custom can FOAD, that's a business decision.

It's worth bearing in mind that like empires, car companies rise and fall. The glory days of the InterLudeSX2000 are in Honda's past. For the present.

CR-V9
Profile for CR-V9
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2009 19:11
Welcoming "treehuggers" is not enough. Planting more tree is good but only sihfting the balance of natural cycle. We need to reduce, remove it.
guse1970
Profile for guse1970
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2009 19:20
So this is Honda's future? Full-size Accords and "green" cars? I think Honda's technology has always been a draw for those of us who have loved their cars in the past. However, Hondas were also fun to drive....are those days gone for good?
Rental_beater
Profile for Rental_beater
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-27-2009 17:39
If I test drive the CR-Z and I don't hear a MASSIVE vtec cam change-over or I can't rev past all normal senses that I have, then the sale is over and there is NOTHING that the sales people can sell me on.

Spec-V it will be :p

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Honda welcomes "TREEHUGGERS" and Sports Car Enthusiasts have to look elsewere [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-28-2009 06:16
Rental_beater wrote:
If I test drive the CR-Z and I don't hear a MASSIVE vtec cam change-over or I can't rev past all normal senses that I have, then the sale is over and there is NOTHING that the sales people can sell me on.

Spec-V it will be :p

Well, if I were you I'd save my time and the salesman's one, because what you are looking for can't be achieved in a SOHC VTEC engine which the CR-Z will be using.
Even in recent high-spec DOHC engines Honda has worked quite a lot to make that transition smoother than in the past.

Last advice, try to find a well maintained used B16 based car (or a K20, F20...); that's the closer you'll get to happiness from your available options.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0