[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver's new site.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Desmond Regamaster Installed!
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Re: K-Tuner For Sale!!!
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Honda Motorcycles > > Re: new Honda SH150i scooter

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
jemmsoft
Profile for jemmsoft
new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2009 22:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Saw this on the Honda Canada website with no price (US website says $4500). So Canadian price would be expensive.

I sorta like it.. but compared to the $3500 Honda CBR125R...
it is not such a good value.

Your thoughts?

BigAtomicBlue
Profile for BigAtomicBlue
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2009 02:31
This is currently the best scooter in the world right now.
Ask anyone in Asia. I mean all of Asia, oh and europe, and anywhere else they ride scooters.

See we have been marketed to believe that Vespa is the best, But actually Honda SH150 rules the global scoot market.
4300 in US and worth it!!

blackstripe77
Profile for blackstripe77
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2009 12:02
I want an Airblade

with a 150cc engine.

The 110cc is plenty adequate for the city, but its just shy of being highway legal here. And modifications are illegal.

jemmsoft
Profile for jemmsoft
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2009 13:45
blackstripe, the airblade is indeed awesome. Its is supposed to get 100mpg, and capable of 100mph.
TorontoTL
Profile for TorontoTL
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2009 20:47
I've actually had the pleasure of riding this scooter recently in Toronto. I am the president of a scooter club here in Toronto with over 650 members. We were holding a scootering skills course with one of the Police training constables in Toronto who has connections with Honda Canada. He had a Honda SH 150 for use that weekend. He was kind enough to allow me a test ride. I have to say I was pretty impressed. In typical Honda fashion the engine was smooth and powerful. The scooter seemed quite well built. One of the Honda Canada marketing guys was there, I had a chance to pick his brains for a while. He was saying that he thinks it will be priced around $5400 or so. That is pretty pricey and right up there with the metal bodied Vespa LX 150.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2009 20:02
Then again, the CBR125R is available for $3,499 in Toronto... and it's capable of 130 km/h and 36 km/litre. So unless you value the automatic and space to store your helmet and junk, I don't see a whole lot of point in the more expensive scooters.
HondaEh!
Profile for HondaEh!
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2009 07:25
The ONLY scooter worth owning is Vespa GTS 250.

Beauty, functionality, power, gas consumption, legend... Nobody can come even close to it. Forget about all those copycats from China, Japan, India, pick a country. No one can turn heads like Vespa. This is 50 times what Lexus is in car industry.
But you Americans probably have no idea what I am talking about. I would not ride this small toy ever. It looks like a bike, performs like bicycle. You want power and speed, buy real bike. You want stile get a Vespa.

blackstripe77
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2009 07:59
jemmsoft wrote:
blackstripe, the airblade is indeed awesome. Its is supposed to get 100mpg, and capable of 100mph.

I've only been up to about 70kmh. The feeling of speed on a bike vs. a car is immense, and I loved the freedom. Going without a helmet probably wasn't a great idea, but probably wouldn't have made muc of a diffrence anyways. 100kmh would probably be pushing it, I wouldn't be sure of 100mph.

A Vespa 250 GTS? Style? You have to be kidding. If you're going to own a Vespa, it better be a 2-stroke from the 60s.

blackstripe77
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2009 08:11

Oh, and the Airblade has a massive storage box thanks to the unique location of the fuel tank.

Also, the Airblade has dual shocks, disc brakes, fat tires. The only thing it loses out to the Vespa on, POSSIBLY, is style.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2009 01:50
You realize that Vespas were built after WW2 as ghettomobiles to get around right? The front air damn was originally a thin sheet of aircraft aluminum, and there's nothing really "legendary" about them. They were originally made to be cheap.

Perhaps the most amazing thing about them is that they're Italian machinery and yet they don't explode on you when you try to get to the grocery store. I simply find them overpriced toys nowadays; there are much better and cheaper scooters out there.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2009 02:00
blackstripe77 wrote:
jemmsoft wrote:

I've only been up to about 70kmh. The feeling of speed on a bike vs. a car is immense, and I loved the freedom. Going without a helmet probably wasn't a great idea, but probably wouldn't have made muc of a diffrence anyways. 100kmh would probably be pushing it, I wouldn't be sure of 100mph.

A Vespa 250 GTS? Style? You have to be kidding. If you're going to own a Vespa, it better be a 2-stroke from the 60s.

A DOT/SNELL M2005 approved helmet does wonders to protect your noggin'. This is assuming that you hit the pavement and slide along it. If you were hit by a truck, nothing can save you.

blackstripe77
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2009 02:56
CarPhreakD wrote:
You realize that Vespas were built after WW2 as ghettomobiles to get around right? The front air damn was originally a thin sheet of aircraft aluminum, and there's nothing really "legendary" about them. They were originally made to be cheap.

Perhaps the most amazing thing about them is that they're Italian machinery and yet they don't explode on you when you try to get to the grocery store. I simply find them overpriced toys nowadays; there are much better and cheaper scooters out there.

I completely agree with that. They look great - but when I can get a brand new Airblade for half the price... An Airblade is superior in every way, too. Just doesn't have the same style factor as a Vespa - I love the style, but its just different.

Except the Airblade isn't highway legal here despite being faster, more powerful, and better handling than a Vespa. Stupid government goes by engine capacity - the only thing they can enforce on the road. Oh well. I don't think those around me would appreciate me zipping around on something that have killed so man around here. 3 died the week I almost bought one.

blackstripe77
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2009 02:58
CarPhreakD wrote:
blackstripe77 wrote:
jemmsoft wrote:

A DOT/SNELL M2005 approved helmet does wonders to protect your noggin'. This is assuming that you hit the pavement and slide along it. If you were hit by a truck, nothing can save you.

It seems most riders in Hong Kong get hit but trucks, or have buses pin them to bridges -.-

I rode the Airblade in Thailand. I'm a cyclist and practiced a bit in the carpark, so I felt that I wouldn't make any silly mistakes. The roads were mostly empty, and the only choice of helmet was an unpadded plastic bucket.

stevenvillatoro
Profile for stevenvillatoro
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2009 07:36
Based on current economic conditions, any idea what kind of purchase price discounts might be available for the SH150i when it becomes available, or soon after?
JV03h
Profile for JV03h
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2009 08:28
I do not know, but Honda is nuts if they think that is a good deal. Kawi sells the Ninja 250R for less than $4k ($3800). Why would anyone get this thing over that even at the same price is beyond me (much less for some odd $700 more). Oh, and it is offered in the US unlike the CBR125. This thing would be really nice for around $2.5~3k, not $4500
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2009 08:32
blackstripe77 wrote:
jemmsoft wrote:

A bit of background: I'm from Europe, were scooters were born, and where I believe they remain most popular in relative terms.

About speed, I don't know from where the myth comes, but you won't be able to reach more than 120-130 Kmph in a 150cc Honda scooter. Moreover, you'd be crazy to reach something like 100mph on such machinery. That said, around 100-110 they feel quite comfortable and if there isn't much wind they are reasonably stable on the highway.

Regarding FE, I'd be shocked to see a 150cc Honda AT scooter getting anywhere close to 100mpg, but most of them are still capable of getting around 80mpg if ridden properly in relatively good traffic conditions.
The only country I know where FE numbers are published is Japan, and for the record:
- The all new 100cc Lead is rated 117 mpg.
- The all new 250cc Forza is rated 100 mpg.

That though is assuming:
- a constant low 60kmph speed.
- a perfectly even terrain.
- no wind.

Under real world stop&go city traffic or higher speed open road journeys those "imaginary" numbers go down pretty fast.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2009 08:51
jemmsoft wrote:
Saw this on the Honda Canada website with no price (US website says $4500). So Canadian price would be expensive.

Your thoughts?

Background: Owned a CBR125 for 2 years (previous bike was a CB600cc Hornett).

To me it depends on what are you looking for more than on "value".

I don't think you could get "happy" with both, unless you have really zero experience and haven't ridden neither a scooter or a motorbike before.

If you are looking for a decent priced, reliable, relatively fuel efficient and comfortable around town private transportation mean, you can hardly go wrong with the SH150i. That is, it won't be more difficult to ride and maneuver than a bicycle, and will for sure be an ideal partner for daily commuting. It should also be good enough for 100-110kmph short highway runs, and it's more likely to remain vibration-free through the years.

If you want to start learning how to ride a motorbike (most people's case) or want to ride something small without totally giving up to your past riding experience (my case), the CBR125 should be your choice. It's even cheaper, very reliable, and yet fun to ride. It will also offer you about 20% better fuel economy if you ride it properly (I have averaged 115mpg on 2 years). That said, at least in Europe the maintenance costs are more expensive than for scooters so that may be a draw. You shouldn't be mistaken though by the small engine size: power and weight aside, riding the tiny CBR is just as complex as any big bike. You'll just feel better to go in between cars on heavy traffic due to its lightweight and constrained proportions.
Around town though, it can also get tiresome to be constantly changing through 6 incredibly short gears (at 50kmph you'll be at 5k rpm on 6th). To me it's a pleasure, but I know for many it can be a torture. Finally, I do believe the SH is built to higher quality standards, although for sure both engines will outlast the rest of them.

A final note is your size. I'm pretty big myself, and I do know that everyone laughs when they see me riding the CBR125R. That wouldn't happen on the scooter, and you have to be aware of it.

Hope this helped you to make your decission.

TorontoTL
Profile for TorontoTL
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2009 12:43
HondaEh! wrote:
The ONLY scooter worth owning is Vespa GTS 250.

Beauty, functionality, power, gas consumption, legend... Nobody can come even close to it. Forget about all those copycats from China, Japan, India, pick a country. No one can turn heads like Vespa. This is 50 times what Lexus is in car industry.
But you Americans probably have no idea what I am talking about. I would not ride this small toy ever. It looks like a bike, performs like bicycle. You want power and speed, buy real bike. You want stile get a Vespa.

I have three Vespas at home. The GTS 250, GT 200 and a LX 150. I love them all. They have been reliable, great to ride and gorgeous to look at. I wouldn't trade them for any other scooter on the market in Canada at the moment including the SH 150i.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2009 20:29
JV03h wrote:
I do not know, but Honda is nuts if they think that is a good deal. Kawi sells the Ninja 250R for less than $4k ($3800). Why would anyone get this thing over that even at the same price is beyond me (much less for some odd $700 more). Oh, and it is offered in the US unlike the CBR125. This thing would be really nice for around $2.5~3k, not $4500

Believe me, this is the norm. I think the price is attributed to the fact that the scooter has way more storage space and a CVT transmission, but most scooters are priced like this.

In Toronto, the Ninja 250R is now approaching $5K... which is a pretty big jump in MSRP from last year

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-20-2009 20:30
danielgr wrote:
jemmsoft wrote:

Your thoughts?

I don't think you could get "happy" with both, unless you have really zero experience and haven't ridden neither a scooter or a motorbike before.

If you are looking for a decent priced, reliable, relatively fuel efficient and comfortable around town private transportation mean, you can hardly go wrong with the SH150i. That is, it won't be more difficult to ride and maneuver than a bicycle, and will for sure be an ideal partner for daily commuting. It should also be good enough for 100-110kmph short highway runs, and it's more likely to remain vibration-free through the years.

If you want to start learning how to ride a motorbike (most people's case) or want to ride something small without totally giving up to your past riding experience (my case), the CBR125 should be your choice. It's even cheaper, very reliable, and yet fun to ride. It will also offer you about 20% better fuel economy if you ride it properly (I have averaged 115mpg on 2 years). That said, at least in Europe the maintenance costs are more expensive than for scooters so that may be a draw. You shouldn't be mistaken though by the small engine size: power and weight aside, riding the tiny CBR is just as complex as any big bike. You'll just feel better to go in between cars on heavy traffic due to its lightweight and constrained proportions.
Around town though, it can also get tiresome to be constantly changing through 6 incredibly short gears (at 50kmph you'll be at 5k rpm on 6th). To me it's a pleasure, but I know for many it can be a torture. Finally, I do believe the SH is built to higher quality standards, although for sure both engines will outlast the rest of them.

A final note is your size. I'm pretty big myself, and I do know that everyone laughs when they see me riding the CBR125R. That wouldn't happen on the scooter, and you have to be aware of it.

Daniel, it could be far worse! The CBR125R's clutch and shift lever action are so light as to almost not be there. Also, clutchless upshifting helps reduce a lot of strain.

Pierce
Profile for Pierce
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-09-2009 09:07
Honda Canada has this scooter priced at $4999 on their website now.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-09-2009 09:55
CarPhreakD wrote:
danielgr wrote:
jemmsoft wrote:

Your thoughts?

Daniel, it could be far worse! The CBR125R's clutch and shift lever action are so light as to almost not be there. Also, clutchless upshifting helps reduce a lot of strain.

"Clutchless upshifting"? Well, for sure I didn't try that one on my bike !
Besides, for me it's a pleasure to shift every single gear, it just gets boring when I reach the highway and get blocked on 6th...
It changes nothing to the fact that I know not everyone is like me ...

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-10-2009 02:02
Yeah... it should be relatively easy on the CBR125R since you have to rev the bejesus out of it all the time anyways.

Basically what you do is that while accelerating or cruising at maybe 7-8K RPM, you slide your foot under the shifter, drop off of the throttle (like literally, just flick your wrist so you lose power for a split second), and at the same time kick the shifter up a gear. If you do it right, then you end up in a higher gear, without having to use the clutch, and with practice, it becomes smoother and seamless than most automatic transmissions in cars.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-10-2009 04:01
CarPhreakD wrote:
Yeah... it should be relatively easy on the CBR125R since you have to rev the bejesus out of it all the time anyways.

Basically what you do is that while accelerating or cruising at maybe 7-8K RPM, you slide your foot under the shifter, drop off of the throttle (like literally, just flick your wrist so you lose power for a split second), and at the same time kick the shifter up a gear. If you do it right, then you end up in a higher gear, without having to use the clutch, and with practice, it becomes smoother and seamless than most automatic transmissions in cars.

I know what you meant, and it may be ignorance, but:
1st) I see no point on doing clutchless shifts, otherwise I'd get an AT; some let you choose your gears but I do love my clutch.
2nd) Even if I'd like to (which is not the case), I don't like the idea of my gearbox going regularly from one gear to another without having previously smoothly disengaged it with the clutch. It might be ignorance, but I do believe it may harm its long-term reliability.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: new Honda SH150i scooter    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-10-2009 14:54
danielgr wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:

I know what you meant, and it may be ignorance, but:
1st) I see no point on doing clutchless shifts, otherwise I'd get an AT; some let you choose your gears but I do love my clutch.
2nd) Even if I'd like to (which is not the case), I don't like the idea of my gearbox going regularly from one gear to another without having previously smoothly disengaged it with the clutch. It might be ignorance, but I do believe it may harm its long-term reliability.

Nope, it doesn't harm your transmission (it's either it goes up to next gear, or it doesn't). It's a technique that is often used in motorcycling circles (absolutely imperative in racing), and members of the CBR125R.ca forum use it all the time as well. Your CBR125R uses dog-cut gears, not helical ones (check out the schematic diagrams for your transmission assembly), so this technique doesn't hurt them.

Of course, if you have to downshift, you still have to use your clutch (you can technically clutchless downshift as well but it's jerky as hell).

It's not really a matter of not using your clutch, it's just something that can save your left hand in traffic, not to mention it's pretty cool and satisfying when you can shift quicker than most people can blink! I still use the clutch when I'm going through slow traffic, etc., but on freeways, etc. where traffic is flowing well, I find that clutchless upshifting is a much better experience.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0