[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2019 RAV4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Climate pre-conditioning
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Carlos Ghosn arrested! He gone
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Grinch "Takeover". Thoughts?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Type S Announcment at LA
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
Service Experiences --> Need a good shop in South SF
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Japanese Auto Manufacturers want two rules changes
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Honda Set to Pull Out of Formula One > > Re: Autosport is covering this, too...

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

floundericiousMI
Profile for floundericiousMI
Autosport is covering this, too... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2008 19:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72319

I have mixed feelings about this. F1 has become ridiculous in the last 5 years. Engine freezes and spec tires have taken what was the most wide-open high performance racing series and made it international NASCAR.

Overblown personalities like Bernie Ecclestone (thieving bastard who screws racetrack promoters/owners) and Max Mosley (who rules the FIA like a tin-pot dictator) have gutted the sport and left it a pale shadow of what it was and could have been.

The regulations that froze engine changes but still allowed "reliability changes" meant that it was a game to develop your engine further and then demonstrate that it was a necessary fix to alleviate a reliability concern. The introduction of the "Spec ECU" that was developed by McLaren was another travesty...I guess the only way to make sure no one was using auto gearboxes and launch/traction control was to make everyone throw out their most complex electronic system and start from scratch using a system designed by a totally different culture. Yes, the principles are the same, but imagine having all the physics textbooks in your native language thrown out and replaced with a new set in a different language. You certainly COULD figure it out...but adapting all your lab procedures and methods to teaching the new textbook would need to be overhauled.

How about the reliability rules that penalized DRIVERS for engine failures!? I understand wanting to ensure people didn't essentially bring parts to build qualifying cars on friday night, then rebuild them with race parts Saturday night...but surely you could have accomplished the same intention by containing the penalties to the same weekend where the failure occured!? Penalizing the driver at the NEXT race for an engine failure was about the stupidest thing you could have done.

Nevermind the fact that enforcing penalties for reliability failures means that you have two problems emerge that are contrary to racing:

1) Testing testing testing...rather than take chances, the teams all had to invest massive amounts of money in complex rigs and thousands of hours of lab time to let them prove out their designs to be certain they wouldn't fail. How did that save cost? (remember the guise for this was to say "well, if they build fewer engines then it's cheaper!" notwithstanding the fact that engineering development hours probably outstripped manufacturing costs by a substantial margin)

2) Conservative designs...don't make that part too light weight, it might fail! Leave margin! Make our car slow! Make it so the richest and best equipped teams grind out a few percent of performance over everyone else year over year with huge risks against poorer teams innovating and looking for revolutionary solutions.

Want more evidence? How about the whipsaw rule changes on tires? No tire changes during the race! Unless you flat spot...but you better be able to prove to the stewards that YOUR flat tire was dangerous. More tire madness...no longer allowing the tire company to bring multiple wet tires to race tracks...meaning that Bridgestone had to look at weather forecasts, use their auger sticks, and study the chicken entrails to see if they needed to bring the intermediate wet...or the full wet...or the monsoon tire. If they got it wrong, well, at least we reduced transportation costs!

Moving back to Bernie...how about the deal where he got the commercial rights transferred to Sky (? a media company) for 99 years and which, within one year, went out of business and sold the rights back to Bernie. The man is a fraud and a sleazebag. I wouldn't trust him farther than I could throw his hairpiece.

F1 is dead, long live F1.

The Japanese don't quit because something is too hard...they quit because it's no longer worth the resources. Honda's finally decided that this freak show isn't worth it any more.

They will be far more couth and dignified in their exit than I would..and that's to their credit and reflects their cultural attitude by taking the long-view. As Jeff said in the professional motorsports board...this is as good a time as any to get out, let the sport collapse to its nadir, and then see if it makes a comeback.

Neilap
Profile for Neilap
Re: Autosport is covering this, too... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2008 20:52
Well said.

doughboy
Profile for doughboy
Re: Autosport is covering this, too... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2008 21:03
ironically 2 nites ago i had just set my desktop wallpaper to a picture of JB leading schumey at imola 2004

thinking about hungary in the rain

thanks, honda, thanks jb and rubens and takuma and even jacques, for fueling my dreams for the past 5.5 years.

i will have nothing to watch on tv from march thru october anymore.
guess i will find something else to do.

if they had stayed it would have been an excellent way to keep my mind off this new great depression.

mchester
Profile for mchester
Re: Autosport is covering this, too... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2008 10:41
It'll still be a fun circus to watch, it just won't be as much fun not having Honda to cheer for again. I made through the last "No Honda" stint, I'll make it through this one. ALMS and LeMans along with the return (hopefully) of other engine mfgs to Indy car will fill the void.

doughboy wrote:
ironically 2 nites ago i had just set my desktop wallpaper to a picture of JB leading schumey at imola 2004

thinking about hungary in the rain

thanks, honda, thanks jb and rubens and takuma and even jacques, for fueling my dreams for the past 5.5 years.

i will have nothing to watch on tv from march thru october anymore.
guess i will find something else to do.

if they had stayed it would have been an excellent way to keep my mind off this new great depression.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0