[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2020 Corolla Revealed
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda' new BEV
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Interview Max Verstappen on F1 and Watches & the new TAG Heuer Verstappen Edition
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 Advance Squeaks and Camera Issues
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX Sportwagon - rear washer not squirting
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Honda Set to Pull Out of Formula One > > Re: This is good news actually

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

_Alex_
Profile for _Alex_
This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2008 20:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Honda F1 team was nothing but total disappointment in recent years that alone did not help company image at all.

Some say F1 technology was applied towards all cars in Honda lineup but this is really hard to buy since Honda seems to be stuck in that department for at least 6 or so years.

siegen
Profile for siegen
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2008 20:55
As regulations get piled on, F1 turns more into an advertising campaign than it does a proving ground for new technologies. It doesn't really seem like Honda has flexed their F1 muscle recently either, at least since the S2000.

Plus, I think Acura's success and participation in ALMS will do worlds more for Acura and Honda's image in the states. :-]

I'm not too hurt, although it is sad to leave in defeat.

TheGripper
Profile for TheGripper
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2008 21:54
siegen wrote:
As regulations get piled on, F1 turns more into an advertising campaign than it does a proving ground for new technologies. It doesn't really seem like Honda has flexed their F1 muscle recently either, at least since the S2000.

Plus, I think Acura's success and participation in ALMS will do worlds more for Acura and Honda's image in the states. :-]

I'm not too hurt, although it is sad to leave in defeat.

I'm not a car racing fan, but I sure dig the alms pics on the acura site from time to time...those cars are sooo freekin bad A$$!

NickDC5
Profile for NickDC5
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2008 21:58
Actually this breaks my heart and really bothers me. How pathetic. First they came back to F1, and before they could prove themselves they wuss out and go home. What a miserable move. Where's the brand value anymore?

Honda, you're hanging on by a thread....

Solo2EG
Profile for Solo2EG
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2008 22:09
NickDC5 wrote:
Actually this breaks my heart and really bothers me. How pathetic. First they came back to F1, and before they could prove themselves they wuss out and go home. What a miserable move. Where's the brand value anymore?

Honda, you're hanging on by a thread....

Come on, with the current economic crisis in the automotive industry and the big 3 asking for billions of dollars in aid do you think it's smart for a (much smaller) company to be spending hundreds of millions of dollars a year to be driving around @ the back of the grid right now???

sjava
Profile for sjava
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2008 22:30
I rather see all the resources they'd have spent on F1 to be redirected to NSX, S2000 and other future sport cars development. I just said several days ago that racing heritage is worthless without actual products that fans can relate to. Honestly, ALMS has been much more interesting for me so hopefully Acura will have more focus on this series.
AznSupastar
Profile for AznSupastar
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2008 22:41
sjava wrote:
I rather see all the resources they'd have spent on F1 to be redirected to NSX, S2000 and other future sport cars development. I just said several days ago that racing heritage is worthless without actual products that fans can relate to. Honestly, ALMS has been much more interesting for me so hopefully Acura will have more focus on this series.

amen, put the resource to better use and make me a good next gen NSX and S2K. since they sucked badly in the recent years in F1, it's time to go back to the drawing board.

TampaRL
Profile for TampaRL
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2008 22:41
It is sad. But trying to look at the bigger picture...

Racing has done things for the everyday passenger car. Family sedans of today have better handling, safer at speed, and often more HP and speed than musclecars of merely 3 decades ago.

But how much further do we need to advance performance of vehicles for the masses? Most cars on the road today cannot realize their potential simply by the limitations of traffic laws, volume of taffic on the roads and the capabilities of the majority of drivers. Perhaps Honda recognizes that the benefits of lessons learned from F1 has reached a benchmark sustainable for the forseeable future of domestic automobiles. Why invest so much to raise the bar most will never attain. Instead, begin a new type of race...one for performance with better yet efficiency, less impact to the earth and safer for the performance offered.

Where Honda is focusing as to the future of the automobile has and continues to be with efficiency, safety and reliability. Add the current energy awareness and economics of the world, and we also need to layer on greener fuel sources, less environmental impact. Those are no longer dreams or desires....they are becoming demands and regulations. And as auto manufacturers are pressed to comply, there is going to be an obvious impact of power and performance as they are tempered with safety, efficiency and environmental impact. Why invest millions more to get another 5hp out of current engine technology, when that is not so much the focus anymore? The benchmark that racing has brought to the common auto is already high enough and it is my opinion, that Honda is focusing on attributes previously not as important in the automobile.

I think that will be the race in Honda's future.

*2 cents*

wontondestruct
Profile for wontondestruct
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2008 22:52
As an F1 and Honda fan, I'm disappointed wtih Honda's presumed exit. I was mildly hopeful that Honda could have moved up the grid, what with the changes in regulations for the 2009 season (which I think could have closed the performance gap with the front-runners, at least for a little while), and because they chose to abandon development of the 08 package to focus on the 09. Still, I think Honda made the responsible choice...it's kind of hard to justify spending $400 million/season when sales are down over 30% and people are getting laid-off. Hopefully, we'll see them back soon.
HondaTypeR
Profile for HondaTypeR
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2008 23:19
Put the resources to next gen NSX and S2000? I wish. My concern is opposite. I am worried somewhere in Tokyo the senior management might already be discussing further pushing out or shelving the NSX and S2000 replacements. In this economic time, they are probably focusing on cutting expense and bringing in more revenue. Putting more resources to develop some low volume higher end sport cars doesn't seem to bode well.

I guess it was sad that Honda pulled out just after two dismal seasons and failing to achieve much since returning to F1. It's even more depressing after all those previous heightened expectations for 09 like a car designed under Brown's direction, challenging for podiums or wins etc.

mlody
Profile for mlody
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2008 00:14
AznSupastar wrote:
sjava wrote:

amen, put the resource to better use and make me a good next gen NSX and S2K. since they sucked badly in the recent years in F1, it's time to go back to the drawing board.

... and how exaclty putting extra money into S2000 or NSX development will make honda better? With the economic crisis that everyone is, no one is willing to even buy Civic's or Accord's and you are thinking that spending money on useless to 99% of consumers cars would make honda any better?

If anything such low volume cars should be scraped off completely and room should be make for something that is actually functional and appealing to most buyers not 1 in a milion.

People buying accords and civics do not care about how sporty s2000 is or the same goes with people who bought TSX'es or TL's.

NickDC5
Profile for NickDC5
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2008 00:18
See, I always thought Honda's success in the enthusiast market came from its racing heritage. Without the racing heritage the brand value kind of diminishes. With the S2000 or NSX it was like you were buying a Honda racecar. Same for Subaru with their STi and Ford with their Euro Focus. Mitsubishi hasn't touched a rally in a while so I can't really defend them much.... I guess Acura's still going to race, which is cool.... But look at how many other companies have race teams: Audi, BMW, McLaren, Toyota, Subaru, GM, Ford, on and on and on and on.

It was nice having my favorite car company competing in my favorite motorsport. Now that's no more. :(

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2008 00:38
I concur, this is good news for Honda. There is a time to be frivolous with corporate spendings. This is not the time.
s2ktaxi
Profile for s2ktaxi
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2008 01:04
i predict that this is just the beginning of the end of F1... I'm expecting the other car manufacturers to pull out as well - maybe with the exception of Ferrari...
Nobby UK
Profile for Nobby UK
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2008 05:02
The irony is that F1 is a global sport which the US doesn't rate - now problems emanating from the US will again kill off Honda's F1 dream.
Honda's first F1 era ended when it needed to take what it had learned to make the CVCC engine for US (when everyone else said the targets were too tough). Second era ended after engine domination to consolidate US investment. Third era now ending to face challenge of an unprecedented global financial crisis (which started where, I wonder?).
Good news? Depends on your perspective, I guess. Anything which costs 600 associates their jobs I would not class as good. And while you dream of NSXs and S2000s, I'd suggest that innovative Fits, Civics, Insights & FCXs are again going to save Honda's fierce independence while the US auto makers wail for a bail-out.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2008 06:15
s2ktaxi wrote:
i predict that this is just the beginning of the end of F1... I'm expecting the other car manufacturers to pull out as well - maybe with the exception of Ferrari...

So it won't make any difference, then?

Since UK is the home of F1 and I know Honda fans employed by the teams, it's rather a blow to us.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2008 08:17
To be honest I think that Hondas decision has been somewhat forced upon them by pressure from the shareholders in this very difficult time. I also truly believe that the impending, and verified, single engine and gearbox supply goes against Hondas core values and beliefs in motorsport and takes away a huge performance advantage they used to be able to gain. From 2010, I think, Cosworth will manufacture engines for supply, those that want to manufacture their own engines, albeit to a blueprint, can do so, or use a heavily detuned current V8 of their own.
Personally I do not believe that is a formula that Honda see any great challenge in. It will become a formula for chassis and aero design, both of which Honda have struggled with.
After a night of soul searching and depression at the news I now feel that Honda are protecting themselves correctly and I sincerely hope they see this out as an independent company who continues to produce cars I love driving and owning.

6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2008 12:17
I must agree.
I haven't seen a lot of hybrids or alternative powerplants comming out of F1!

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2008 12:51
sjava wrote:

Agreed. I'm completely enthralled in ALMS, its fascinating, exciting, and not regulated enough to keep each manufacturer from bringing the very best vehicle they possibly can to the starting line.

StellanH
Profile for StellanH
Re: This is good news actually [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2008 06:43
Really sad news actually, but at least Honda wont be the clowns to be laughed at in the F1 circus anymore.

I guess the current financial crisis with car sales free falling was the final stab to Hondas F1 dreams, for this time.

For those hoping for Hondas F1 money will now be redirected to flashier-spec next-generation nsx/s2000: I say forget it.

This is hard times and they have just begun.

"IŽll be back" is the spirit.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0