[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Repair and Maintenance --> cylinder #1 running rich.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: FRS/86/BRZ Recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Honda Envix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Type S In New York?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I found the answer for solving EUs horrible car lineup
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Next gen TLX spied...
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Honda's Insight Concept Makes its World Debut > > Re: Poor Man's Prius?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Author

Cj
Profile for Cj
Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 09:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
If the Insight isn't going to beat the Prius in MPG, but in price is it safe to say that Honda's only aim for the Insight is to be a "poor man's prius"? That's not good PR in my opinion.
Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 10:22
I think the new Insight will very likely out-MPG the Prius--Honda's just playing their cards close to the vest until the EPA tests are complete. There were all kinds of wild numbers (>60 mpg) flying around earlier this year (admittedly based on the criteria used for the Japanese government's tests). But even if it only matches the fuel economy of the Civic Hybrid, it's still a Honda, which makes it more desirable in my opinion. What a treat if it costs thousands less, too!

Bankston_Honda
Profile for Bankston_Honda
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 10:23
Poor Man's Prius?

Considering the Civic Hybrid is the Prius' direct competitor in relative size and MSRP the Insight will hit the market with no competitor.

Consider this:

The Prius Hybrid is rated at 48/45/46. The Civic Hybrid is rated at 40/45/42. The Civic is heavier, more powerful, and has better acceleration.

Soooo....Make a smaller, lighter, less powerful car with the Latest innovations in this Technology and the new insight should wipe the floor with the Prius in fuel efficiency. The lower cost is just a bonus!

Don't worry about PR, Honda's got Experts that have it covered. You just keep holding your Toyota flag.

Cj
Profile for Cj
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 12:31
Bankston_Honda wrote:
Poor Man's Prius?

Considering the Civic Hybrid is the Prius' direct competitor in relative size and MSRP the Insight will hit the market with no competitor.

Consider this:

The Prius Hybrid is rated at 48/45/46. The Civic Hybrid is rated at 40/45/42. The Civic is heavier, more powerful, and has better acceleration.

Soooo....Make a smaller, lighter, less powerful car with the Latest innovations in this Technology and the new insight should wipe the floor with the Prius in fuel efficiency. The lower cost is just a bonus!

Don't worry about PR, Honda's got Experts that have it covered. You just keep holding your Toyota flag.

I'm not a Toyota or Prius advocate, I'm just making an observation. No matter what, people are going to see the Insight not the HCH as the Prius's direct competitor. If the Insight gets 45 mpg combined on the EPA, that's great, but once the new Prius with 50+ mpg combined comes out the Insight will likely only be seen as a "Poor Man's Prius" (ie people that can't afford the latest in Prius technology etc, will get the Insight). That's not good, because then the Insight will probably be seen as "lesser than" or even "inferior to" the Prius.

Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 12:32
Cj wrote:
If the Insight isn't going to beat the Prius in MPG, but in price is it safe to say that Honda's only aim for the Insight is to be a "poor man's prius"? That's not good PR in my opinion.

You like to look at the negative...

Honda's true goal: Clean up the earth and offer a Hybrid to the whole world especially people who can't afford one. Hybrids shouldn't be for the rich. There should be a 8,000 dollar hybrid.

Varmint
Profile for Varmint
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 12:56
CJ - It all depends on how you spin it. It could be "the poor man's Prius", or it could be "a hybrid for the common man", or it could be "efficiency without a Prius price tag".

Generally, Honda isn't very good at spin and PR. So, it will not come as a surprise to me if they fail to make a solid case for the new Insight. But with the economy being in question, it may be risky to go after the more affluent buyer the way Toyota is with the new Prius.

Insightman - Other than blind devotion to Honda, there is no evidence to suggest this new Insight will earn a fuel economy rating higher than the Prius. We've heard very little from the sources that matter and what has been said suggests that we should not expect anything significantly better than the HCH.

Cj
Profile for Cj
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 13:42
Varmint wrote:
CJ - It all depends on how you spin it. It could be "the poor man's Prius", or it could be "a hybrid for the common man", or it could be "efficiency without a Prius price tag".

Generally, Honda isn't very good at spin and PR. So, it will not come as a surprise to me if they fail to make a solid case for the new Insight. But with the economy being in question, it may be risky to go after the more affluent buyer the way Toyota is with the new Prius.

That's what concerns me. I really want the Insight to succeed, but Honda is going to have to be very clever with the marketing. It may be best to market the practicality and technology versus the price and MPGs. It might also be better if they don't advertise it as a "Prius-killer".

There are already people that say IMA is inferior to TSD, they are already people calling the Insight a "Prius-clone", and once all the specs arrive there will be people calling it a "poor man's Prius" so Honda is going to have to be very careful on how they market the Insight. I really hope that they succeed in differentiating the Insight from the Prius and creating their own niche.

Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 15:16
Cj wrote:
Varmint wrote:

That's what concerns me. I really want the Insight to succeed, but Honda is going to have to be very clever with the marketing. It may be best to market the practicality and technology versus the price and MPGs. It might also be better if they don't advertise it as a "Prius-killer".

There are already people that say IMA is inferior to TSD, they are already people calling the Insight a "Prius-clone", and once all the specs arrive there will be people calling it a "poor man's Prius" so Honda is going to have to be very careful on how they market the Insight. I really hope that they succeed in differentiating the Insight from the Prius and creating their own niche.

Even if the press, nah! the world think its a prius copy.

It will SELL! Honda fans will buy it. We clearly see that its a insight 1st gen copy and not a prius copy. So if your worried about sales...dont be man.

Honda can make a world wide statement on TV saying "we dont need, or want your business" to all the people in the world.

Sales will still skyrocket. Amazing isn't it? The power of Honda's name.

dezoris
Profile for dezoris
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 17:43

It will SELL! Honda fans will buy it. We clearly see that its a insight 1st gen copy and not a prius copy. So if your worried about sales...dont be man.

Please enlighten everyone on how exactly this is an Insight successor? Provide technical details. And saying the back end is similar does not count.

aznstuart
Profile for aznstuart
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 18:05
dezoris wrote:

Please enlighten everyone on how exactly this is an Insight successor? Provide technical details. And saying the back end is similar does not count.

WTH, that's like asking people to prove to you that the current Accord is a successor to the previous generation Accord. You're so ignorant...go troll on Toyota sites.

dezoris
Profile for dezoris
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 18:13
aznstuart wrote:
dezoris wrote:

WTH, that's like asking people to prove to you that the current Accord is a successor to the previous generation Accord. You're so ignorant...go troll on Toyota sites.

Owning an Insight gives me a pretty good perspective on what a follow up to it should be. And no one has provided any opinion or fact on how the new one is doing anything better than the old one including yourself.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 20:13
dezoris wrote:
aznstuart wrote:
dezoris wrote:

Owning an Insight gives me a pretty good perspective on what a follow up to it should be. And no one has provided any opinion or fact on how the new one is doing anything better than the old one including yourself.

Well, I think it will prove to be a fact that it will multitudes better at carrying stuff. Of course, I could just be making that up.

dezoris
Profile for dezoris
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 22:47
owequitit wrote:
dezoris wrote:
aznstuart wrote:
dezoris wrote:

Well, I think it will prove to be a fact that it will multitudes better at carrying stuff. Of course, I could just be making that up.

Again I love how people discuss the first gen Insight like they have one.

Did you know the first gen Insight has more cargo room than the current generation Prius?

Granted it's only a two seater, but it still has more cargo room.

So what else do people have?

eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 01:09
couldn't they market it as "The car that started it is back"?
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 01:14
Correction, you have a good perspective on what _you_ _want_ it to be. Big difference. Step back a second and check the attitude.

The new Insight will appeal to a hell of a lot more people than the original ever did. It will bring high mileage hybrid motoring to a lot more people than the original ever could. And it will be far more practical for far more people. K?

SC

dezoris wrote:

dezoris
Profile for dezoris
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 14:43
notyper wrote:
Correction, you have a good perspective on what _you_ _want_ it to be. Big difference. Step back a second and check the attitude.

The new Insight will appeal to a hell of a lot more people than the original ever did. It will bring high mileage hybrid motoring to a lot more people than the original ever could. And it will be far more practical for far more people. K?

SC

dezoris wrote:

You are right it is stupid of me to expect the follow up Insight to be better than the original.

But hey, at least it will find a bigger market this time around made up of first time hybrid owners willing to pay for status quo technology.

The original was for people who wanted the best fuel economy possible. This one of for people who want a cheap 4 door with a hybrid badge on it. Problem is it's not offering all that much more than a Honda Fit or Civic in terms of fuel economy and features. And you have the hybrid drive train to contend with.

Owning the original and driving every Honda hybrid gives me a unique perspective on what Honda should have done to make improvements, something that non-owners have no clue about. These people just see price, price price, hybrid hybrid, hybrid, 4 doors 4 doors 4 doors.

AK
Profile for AK
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 14:54
The Prius is a real hybrid though.
The Honda's ALWAYS have their gas engine on.

The Geo Metro gets 40mpg which is more than ANY honda Hybrid to date. Tiny car, small engine. That's what the Honda's are.

I'm so disappointed in their hybrid lies. Finally all the car sources are calling Honda's system a "mild hybrid" cuz it's not the full meal deal.

Honda: You will NEVER beat Toyota if the engine is ALWAYS running. Toyota is 5+ years ahead of you, and your 2nd generation crap is all gonna be the same IMA thing? That will put you 10 years behind Toyota.
This IMA thing will be the death of Honda.

When battery tech improves, the Prius will be going 30 mph for 30 min in the 'city' and get 150 mpg, while your cars engines will be continuously running. Think about it.

Everyone is attempting to do Plug in hybrids, 'more range and speed' on battery alone. Recharging at home, with solar etc.

Tastycakes
Profile for Tastycakes
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 15:20
Dezoris - Why would you expect it to offer more than the Civic and Fit? Its in a class below the Civic and is based off the Fit platform and will cost ~$19k and get ~25% more fuel economy than the Fit and Civic. You seem to love the failed 1st gen Insight and are hating the gen 2 Insight cause it will succeed?

AK - The Prius isn't plug in yet, so electric only mode means nothing right now until you can actually plug it in. Also your 40 MPG Metro, you cant seriously compare this car to it, ROFL. It had 55 HP. OK 55 HORSEPOWER, and weighed under 2k LBS. The Insight will have around 100 HP and weigh alot more and get more combined MPG than the Metro and actually have power steering and not be a death trap unlike the metro.

And Ak are you retarded, you said the Metro gets more MPG than any Honda to date? The orginal Insight is rated at 53 combined which is MORE than the Prius. Also Honda has a fuel cell vehicle on the road as we speak, so who is more advanced? Toyota w/ its full hybrid or Honda w/ a fuel cell vehicle???? Honda only makes mild hybrids and will never make a full hybrid cause they see hybrids as a short term bridge between gas cars and fuel cell cars.

aerith
Profile for aerith
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 15:53
Tastycakes wrote:
Dezoris - Why would you expect it to offer more than the Civic and Fit? Its in a class below the Civic and is based off the Fit platform and will cost ~$19k and get ~25% more fuel economy than the Fit and Civic. You seem to love the failed 1st gen Insight and are hating the gen 2 Insight cause it will succeed?

AK - The Prius isn't plug in yet, so electric only mode means nothing right now until you can actually plug it in. Also your 40 MPG Metro, you cant seriously compare this car to it, ROFL. It had 55 HP. OK 55 HORSEPOWER, and weighed under 2k LBS. The Insight will have around 100 HP and weigh alot more and get more combined MPG than the Metro and actually have power steering and not be a death trap unlike the metro.

And Ak are you retarded, you said the Metro gets more MPG than any Honda to date? The orginal Insight is rated at 53 combined which is MORE than the Prius. Also Honda has a fuel cell vehicle on the road as we speak, so who is more advanced? Toyota w/ its full hybrid or Honda w/ a fuel cell vehicle???? Honda only makes mild hybrids and will never make a full hybrid cause they see hybrids as a short term bridge between gas cars and fuel cell cars.

That's exactly what i was thinking. How is Honda behind Toyota in terms of technology on ANY front? Honda is the forefront leader in fuel cell technology, EVERY other major manufacturer are only in the testing period with hybrid powertrains shoved into pre-existing chassis.

The FCX Clarity is the first fuel cell vehicle that is available to the general public. While every other manufacturer is trying to cash in on the hybrid game, Honda has not strayed with their fuel cell plans.

Face it, current hybrids are a waste of money, they don't save the environment, they're only for the dumb self righteous idiots who want to appear to be environmentally friendly. If you want to save the environment? Get a clean diesel, switch to biofuel, ethanol octane mixtures. Or if you live in California, and are particularly lucky, try and lease a FCX Clarity.

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 16:10
dezoris wrote:
aznstuart wrote:
dezoris wrote:

Stop the bickering girls, GEZZZZZZ! It's simple. All Honda has to do is let the public know the car is coming 3 months before it comes i.e. Super Bowl. Then place adds on liberal shows like Grays Anatomy, Brothers and sisters, Keith Oberman, Rachael whatever her name is, Ellen, The View and others. Then let people know the dealers have it. I have 8 Civic Hybrids on my lot right now and 15 Priuses and because we don't advertise, they are not selling because nobody knows we have them.

Hondas Marketing needs A LOT OF WORK, but I think this Insight is something great that needs to be advertised for what it is, not what it's up against.

xcess
Profile for xcess
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 16:15
Honda only makes mild hybrids and will never make a full hybrid cause they see hybrids as a short term bridge between gas cars and fuel cell cars.

Fuel cells will never be mainstream this is where u are wrong.

plug in electric is the future.

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 16:32
notyper wrote:

SC

dezoris wrote:

As always good points, you left out that it is LESS EXPENCIVE then the original Insight which is an auto industry first. The new Insight only holds 3 things in common with the Gen 1 Insight; Shape, Name and Hybrid. Everything else is all new and people have to understand this is car that will Rock the world of those who thought Hybrids of quality were out of their reach.

Everyone is looking at its faults and not its positives. PRICE! Relax people and let the cards fall into place.

Tastycakes
Profile for Tastycakes
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 16:36
^^^ No plug in electric-gasoline is not the future, maybe near future yes. Bio-diesel and ethanol for the short them after all this hybrid hype dies down and long term hydrogen fuel cell's are the future.

Lets not forget Fuel Cells emit NO pollution, at all. If we run even the most efficient gasoline engines for the next 10000 years, we are still screwed lol.

JIRZLEE
Profile for JIRZLEE
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 17:36
AK wrote:
The Prius is a real hybrid though.
The Honda's ALWAYS have their gas engine on.

That is not correct.

Cj
Profile for Cj
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 18:16
HONDA AFVM wrote:

Everyone is looking at its faults and not its positives. PRICE! Relax people and let the cards fall into place.

If price is it's only positive, that brings me back to the original topic.

IS THE INSIGHT JUST A POOR MAN'S PRIUS???????

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 21:39
Cj wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:

Why? What makes it anything like a Prius? It has no low speed electric only drive, has no distracting screen in the center of the dash, no smart key, no head lights that travel half way up the fenders.

Just because they share similar roof lines doesn't mean one is lesser or better then the other. This is a NEW hybrid from HONDA. People will judge it by how it performs on the road and from their wallet. They will have a hybrid from Honda that makes a polite yet bold statement that they are true stewarts of the environment.

Your a good man I'm sure Cj, but I proved only one thing is that Honda can build a Hybrid for 3,000 less then King Toyota with about the same mileage with a better easier to use Navi and a more fun to drive car that doesn't feel like your in a bowl of JELL-O driving down the street. I have more time behind the wheel of a Prius then most and they are no joy to drive. The best part of a Prius is running on electric only.

It's true I am working with a LI battery co. and am building a Plug in Prius, but It's to get the car on the road and sell them. I love the tech behind the Synergy drive and yes I love the electric only. I am a tried and true Honda man, but this was an opportunity I could not pass up. I hope to show everyone on here someday soon a video of my Plug in Prius.

intune
Profile for intune
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2008 12:58
Cj wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:

Since I have never ever seen a Prius with steel wheels and hubcaps (except in the city utility fleet), I would wager the average transaction price for a Prius is north of $25k, out of reach of a great number of people. The current state and near term future of our economy will make value an even more important part of the equation.

If you cannot afford more than $20k, then why would you spend time debating whether or not the car you are considering is a poor man's whatever? The two cars by and large will not compete. To go a step further, with the next generation I anticipate Toyota extending the Prius price range further adding more luxuries and other high profit options. Other than navigation, Honda may very well not offer any options, certainly not leather. All this means that they cater to different customers.

So "IS THE INSIGHT JUST A POOR MAN'S PRIUS??????? " I'm sure some snobby, elitist Prius drivers will think so. But then again, you can find people with such opinions about every car. You are bound to be disappointed if you choose to care what others think of your choice in cars.

Cj
Profile for Cj
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2008 15:39
intune wrote:
Cj wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:

If you cannot afford more than $20k, then why would you spend time debating whether or not the car you are considering is a poor man's whatever? The two cars by and large will not compete. To go a step further, with the next generation I anticipate Toyota extending the Prius price range further adding more luxuries and other high profit options. Other than navigation, Honda may very well not offer any options, certainly not leather. All this means that they cater to different customers.

So "IS THE INSIGHT JUST A POOR MAN'S PRIUS??????? " I'm sure some snobby, elitist Prius drivers will think so. But then again, you can find people with such opinions about every car. You are bound to be disappointed if you choose to care what others think of your choice in cars.

Intune, it doesn't matter how large the price gap will be, the Insight and Prius are going to be considered direct competitors. As such, the question is what does the Insight bring to the market that is unique from it's main competitor the Prius. It looks like it doesn't offer anything significantly better (and some elements may even be worse), but just offers a lower price. The Insight is pretty much just a HCH with with some "hybrid-ized" stying elements. The only technologicl breakthrough is a lower price. I think it would be different if the Insight were to at least match the Prius's mileage (better if it exceeded it), but as it stands now all the Insight is, is a cheap alternative to the Prius. If the Insight were to match the Prius's mileage, yet retain it's low price, it would be a marvel, but it doesn't. Offering less than your competitors at a lower price isn't really all that outstanding. That's what's expected. That's why an Accord is thousands less than a TL.

intune
Profile for intune
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2008 17:01
Cj wrote:

Intune, it doesn't matter how large the price gap will be, the Insight and Prius are going to be considered direct competitors. As such, the question is what does the Insight bring to the market that is unique from it's main competitor the Prius. It looks like it doesn't offer anything significantly better (and some elements may even be worse), but just offers a lower price. The Insight is pretty much just a HCH with with some "hybrid-ized" stying elements. The only technologicl breakthrough is a lower price. I think it would be different if the Insight were to at least match the Prius's mileage (better if it exceeded it), but as it stands now all the Insight is, is a cheap alternative to the Prius. If the Insight were to match the Prius's mileage, yet retain it's low price, it would be a marvel, but it doesn't. Offering less than your competitors at a lower price isn't really all that outstanding. That's what's expected. That's why an Accord is thousands less than a TL.

What is your complaint really? Are you offended that Honda didn't show the world what they could achieve when going all out, cost no object? I don't think Honda designs cars with their ego or engineering pride as the foremost consideration.

All cars are designed to a price point and in doing so are compromised to reach that price point (even the almighty Veyron). Considering the Prius costs 25% more, it very well should offer more.

Internet experts and automotive press notwithstanding, I think we are going to see some very happy Honda owners next year, people who in the past couldn't afford a hybrid. And at the end of the day, that will be the true test of its success.

Apparently you wanted Honda to build a different product at a different price point. If so, I understand your disappointment, but it doesn't take anything away from the merits of this hybrid.

Cj
Profile for Cj
Re: Poor Man's Prius? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2008 18:01
intune wrote:

What is your complaint really?

The Insight isn't as much of a breakthrough as some on this site suggest. It's a rebatched version of already existing technology. Considering the technology for the Insight is old anyway the price decrease should come at no surprise. I don't object to the price of the vehicle, I only object to the execution of it. The gas mileage of the Insight is not in anyway impressive, and as a dedicated hybrid model (no matter the cost) the MPG number is everything. If the Insight were to at a minimum match the current Prius's MPG figure, I would have no complaints whatsoever (I wasn't expecting 60 mpg anyway). The 2nd generation HCH is 3 years old, so why is an all new dedicated hybrid coming out 3 years later in no way better? Again I wasn't expecting anything outrageous, just maybe a 10-15% increase in gas mileage. The Insight might return much better results in the real world, but most consumers only look at the number on the window. I am aware that Honda had low cost at the top of their agenda for this vehicle, but I feel as if they could have eked out better numbers (of course we don't know what the official number is, but we have an idea from the fact that it was stated that the mileage would "mirror" the HCH). Also I'd like to mention if the price is 19~ grand that's only $3000 off from the base price of the Prius. I know that it's unlikely to find a "stripped" Prius and most dealers have excessive mark-ups, but for a person that's cross-shopping online the difference will seem insignificant. What they will see is one gets 40/45 and the other gets 48/45. A very significant difference that's more than worth the $3000 premium.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0