[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: iOS 11 breaks just about all Bluetooth Functionality, 2013-15 Accord—** UPDATE **
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My NSX video
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Any expected improvement in US Type R availability?
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Honda's Insight Concept Makes its World Debut > > Re: that's not it Fuel economy coaching system

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Fuel economy coaching system [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2008 11:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I hope someone at the show can pin down Honda about the driver coaching system that Honda's old press release says functions "to assist more fuel efficient driving." I imagine it's one (or both) of the two displays on either side of the steering wheel. I'm eager to learn how it can provide more feedback than the simple, yet elegant, Fuel Consumption Display found on current (and past) Honda Hybrids. The single dashboard photo doesn't provide enough resolution for a successful blow-up, but here it is anyway:

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
that's not it Re: Fuel economy coaching system [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2008 11:11
Insightman wrote:
I hope someone at the show can pin down Honda about the driver coaching system that Honda's old press release says functions "to assist more fuel efficient driving." I imagine it's one (or both) of the two displays on either side of the steering wheel. I'm eager to learn how it can provide more feedback than the simple, yet elegant, Fuel Consumption Display found on current (and past) Honda Hybrids. The single dashboard photo doesn't provide enough resolution for a successful blow-up, but here it is anyway:

here's a much higher res shot. neither appear to be the "coaching system". The one on the left is simply the unit switch for the gauges, and the other is the HVAC system controls. 25C is too warm for my tastes!

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: that's not it Fuel economy coaching system [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2008 11:28
Thanks, Jeff. Perhaps the display on the left is more than just the unit selection display. It doesn't seem that something that's used so seldom (probably never) would be placed in such an ergonomically high-priority position.

Of course, Honda could do like the Prius and put any kind of visual fuel-consumption information on the center-mounted display screen, but I think that it's a mistake to display often-consulted information in the center of the dashboard.

I don't see the Fuel Consumption Display bargraph in this photo. I hope Honda hasn't done away with this valuable tool.

Jonniedee
Profile for Jonniedee
Re: that's not it Fuel economy coaching system [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2008 11:45
Isn't there a CHRG / ASST display to the left of the tach? THAT"S your fuel efficient driving gauge...Just like the original Insight.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: that's not it Fuel economy coaching system [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2008 11:46
Jonniedee wrote:
Isn't there a CHRG / ASST display to the left of the tach? THAT"S your fuel efficient driving gauge...Just like the original Insight.

no, Honda mentioned something "new" that's supposed to help optimize the fuel economy by coaching the driver.

JIRZLEE
Profile for JIRZLEE
Re: that's not it Fuel economy coaching system [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2008 14:29
Doesn't the FCX have a color changing backlight for the gauge cluster that fades to red when under high loads and blue or green under low loads, maybe its something like that.

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: that's not it Fuel economy coaching system [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2008 15:07
Not only would a color-based load-detection display offer less quantification than the Insight Classic's trusty bar graph, but it would discriminate against color-blind drivers. Similarly, an audio-based system would discriminate against hearing-impaired drivers (including iPod and monster sound system users). That simple bar graph will be hard to beat.

Perhaps it's a tactile system--the accelerator pedal could become harder to depress or even push back when you're driving uneconomically. Or maybe a photo of the gas-guzzling Prius appears on the LCD display.

dampflok
Profile for dampflok
Re: that's not it Fuel economy coaching system [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2008 15:45
Maybe it's mild electric shocks, delivered through the seat or steering wheel or both.
aznstuart
Profile for aznstuart
Re: that's not it Fuel economy coaching system [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2008 21:54
Insightman wrote:
Not only would a color-based load-detection display offer less quantification than the Insight Classic's trusty bar graph, but it would discriminate against color-blind drivers. Similarly, an audio-based system would discriminate against hearing-impaired drivers (including iPod and monster sound system users). That simple bar graph will be hard to beat.

Perhaps it's a tactile system--the accelerator pedal could become harder to depress or even push back when you're driving uneconomically. Or maybe a photo of the gas-guzzling Prius appears on the LCD display.

the bar graph discriminates against visually impaired people 8)

AK
Profile for AK
Re: that's not it Fuel economy coaching system [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2008 23:18
W/o looking at anything, I"m sure it will somehow tell you to drive slow as hell continously. "At 55 mph, we are at 45 mpg.."
"At 80 mph.. we are at 30mpg, please slow down to improve mpg"

"your last jack rabbit start just cost $0.35 cents"

Hey.. maybe we need that. :)

Insightman
Profile for Insightman
Re: that's not it Fuel economy coaching system [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2008 23:30
Yeah, we need that about as much as the loud back-up beeper that sounds on the INSIDE of the Prius.
JIRZLEE
Profile for JIRZLEE
Re: that's not it Fuel economy coaching system [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 06:26
Insightman wrote:

Discriminate? So then does everything else in this world manufactured with color. I'm thinking the load/color display would be simply another visual tool, and you wouldn't even need to divert your eyes from the road because your peripheral (maybe that would discriminate against those with tunnel-vision..J/K) would pick it up more effectively that any other digital display. Anyhow, nobody said that it would have to replace the tried and true bar graph, I doubt they would just toss that out the window.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: that's not it Fuel economy coaching system [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2008 03:29
This type of car NEEDS a constant mpg monitor. The sole reason people buy this type of car is to extract the maximum mpg from these cars.
The dash in the Prius works so well purely because you can see both the mpg your currently achieving and the average mpg you have got from the current tank full. It is addictive and very clever. You find yourself seeing immediately the effect of driving at 80 mph on the motorway and getting only 30ish mpg and contrasting it with the 50 mpg you get at 70mph. You may easily dismiss this as irrelevent but i bet if you poll all the current Prius drivers they would rate this information as top of their list for driver information.
The mpg guage on my CRV diesel is less clear but works in a funny way just as well in making me slow down to get the kind of mpg figues i now get. Honestly, by driving at no more than 70 mph on the motorways and keeping it smooth elsewhere im getting a pretty easy 44mpg from my current CRV. If i drive it ' normally ' i dont see much better than 36mpg. small gains maybe but without the instantly displayed information i wouldnt bother even trying.
Im hoping there is some kind of prominant display on the Insight to encourage the kind of driving that gets the high mpg figures the Insights new owners will want to achieve, otherwise i will wager that this forum will be full of the inevitable moaners claiming they cant get the manufacturers claimed mpg figures.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0