[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
TLX --> Re: My TLX so far
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> DMV Stickers, we don't need no stinking stickers
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla’s Model 3 Is Becoming One of America’s Best-Selling Sedans
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Model Release Matrix?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Fixing SH-AWD
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW Drops 3-Series Manual Globally... Audi A4 too...
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA finale
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic Accessories
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Honda at the Paris Motor Show > > Re: Why does europe always get the better cars?????

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2008 11:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The euro civic is a much more upscale and utility laden car than ours, WHY??? The styling is more elegant in AND out. It has rear magic seats and infinetely more "boot space". Plus it comes with a plethora of goodies ours doesn't include! Inquiring minds want to know. Please give another reason other than cost, particularly, since the boob heads had the audacity to sell the 30K Mugen decal job here!
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold [View News Item]    (Score: 0, Normal) 10-02-2008 13:35

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-02-2008 15:09
I'm sure it has a lot to do with Acura being present in NA and not in Europe. For example, folks have asked why does the Euro Accord get more goodies than the NA TSX? I surmise the answer is because (except for the Legend) the Accord it the top trim level for Honda over there, while we have the TL.

Another possible answer lies in automotive distribution channels. Honda Motor Co does not sell cars directly. They sell cars to Am. Honda Motors for resale in NA. AHM does not choose to import every car that HMC manufacturers. Assuming there is a European distributor say Honda of Europe, they might select a different product mix according to what they perceive their needs are. In either case, I doubt it is entirely HMC that makes the final decision on what to sell where.

Turkle
Profile for Turkle
Re: Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 02:44
I have to disagree with you on one point. I am sure that it is HMC that dictates what cars sell where. They are the R&D, corporate marketing, and production part of the company. I would go as far as to say that it is HMC that funds and operates the research to determine what sells where. Dealerships are out to do one thing, that is to sell. If their efforts go too far from that, the expenditure loses its purpose.
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 04:33
Turkle wrote:
I have to disagree with you on one point. I am sure that it is HMC that dictates what cars sell where. They are the R&D, corporate marketing, and production part of the company. I would go as far as to say that it is HMC that funds and operates the research to determine what sells where. Dealerships are out to do one thing, that is to sell. If their efforts go too far from that, the expenditure loses its purpose.

No, you are confusing dealerships with AHM. American Honda Motor company is the NA distributor for Honda cars. They are the importer and they resell the cars to the individual dealerships. Therefore, AHM is essentially HMCs largest customer.

Lets say for example, that HMC wants to build a 120K Ferrari fighter but AHM wants a 70K Corvette fighter. HMC might go ahead with their plans, but AHM might not decide to import it. This would change the whole profit picture for the car since NA is the largest market for such a car. If this were to happen, such a super car would suffer delays in development as the two sides decide on what is best for the NA market.

Alex_Bog_16v
Profile for Alex_Bog_16v
Re: Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 06:46
It's the same question here in Europe.
Most people wander why the ameircans get the best: V6 and Coupe Accord, 120hp Fit, 2.4 CR-V, Civic Coupe and Si (with multilink and LSD compared to Euro so-called Type R, w/o LSD and fitted with "high-spec" torsion beam) and, of course, Acura.
The answer is simple: sales dictate market. Most people here buy Tourers and Sedans with 4inline, small class cars sales barely exceeds 90hp, taxes on cc are higher for those above 2.0l in most Euro countries, and nobody with a compact sports car uses the track on a daily basis, but on a monthly basis at best. Thus, a 1.4 100hp option on a Civic Type-S, a so-european option: cars must look great and the engine only needs to move the car from A to B. Period.
There is a general bad impresion about the grill of the Civic 5D facelift, but many salute the 5AT option, because of the crappy job Honda did with i-Shift. Also, the AT on Diesel was much expected.

unaguy
Profile for unaguy
Re: Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 07:47
Forgive me, but I really don't see what the "better" cars are here. Some quality and a few amenities aside, there's nothing here fundamentally "better" than what Americans get. If anything, some things, like iSHIFT and the Civic's torsion beam rear suspension, etc, aren't needed here and we end up with the best product for this side of the Atlantic. We shouldn't just want to want, but look at what we actually need and get.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 10:30
Alex_Bog_16v wrote:
It's the same question here in Europe.
Most people wander why the ameircans get the best: V6 and Coupe Accord, 120hp Fit, 2.4 CR-V, Civic Coupe and Si (with multilink and LSD compared to Euro so-called Type R, w/o LSD and fitted with "high-spec" torsion beam) and, of course, Acura.
The answer is simple: sales dictate market. Most people here buy Tourers and Sedans with 4inline, small class cars sales barely exceeds 90hp, taxes on cc are higher for those above 2.0l in most Euro countries, and nobody with a compact sports car uses the track on a daily basis, but on a monthly basis at best. Thus, a 1.4 100hp option on a Civic Type-S, a so-european option: cars must look great and the engine only needs to move the car from A to B. Period.
There is a general bad impresion about the grill of the Civic 5D facelift, but many salute the 5AT option, because of the crappy job Honda did with i-Shift. Also, the AT on Diesel was much expected.

Agreed.

Can I say that I'm glad they didn't go for the i-Shit on the Diesel and went for a slushbox instead.

TonyB
Profile for TonyB
Re: Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-03-2008 10:43
Just curious, is it AHM mgmt that is making the call on the US not getting the AWD versions here (like the AWD Fit etc?)
Steve
Profile for Steve
Re: Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 09:30
Honda does not give a damn for what we want, this is illustrated in their falling sales. After many years and Hondas, I am growing more dissatisfied with them. When are they going to offer a White Accord sedan with something other that crappy beige "Mustardy"color interior with a (black?) dash. They finally improved the beige interior in the '09 Civic, or how about a nice blue or burgundy.
Cj
Profile for Cj
Re: Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 10:08
Steve wrote:
Honda does not give a damn for what we want, this is illustrated in their falling sales. After many years and Hondas, I am growing more dissatisfied with them. When are they going to offer a White Accord sedan with something other that crappy beige "Mustardy"color interior with a (black?) dash. They finally improved the beige interior in the '09 Civic, or how about a nice blue or burgundy.

That's what the TSX/TL are for

Baapo
Profile for Baapo
Re: Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 14:42
What idiot in AHM think they won't be able to sell the Euro Civic here in the US...must be the same person who approved the design of the new Pilot...

I'm willing to bet my years salary that if they launch the Euro Civic lineup here it will sell like hotcakes...

And for crying out loud...don't wait a century before launching i-shift in the US...

BTW, when will we get something more advanced than a 5speed Automatic...in 3008...

5Hondas
Profile for 5Hondas
Re: Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-04-2008 19:14
AHM is a 100% owned subsidiary of HMC. AHM is responsible for the sales and marketing of Honda cars in the U.S. It is not a "customer" of HMC, it is a subsidiary. AHM best understands the U.S. market and its unique needs. If the U.S. market could support higher end Hondas with enough sales and profit potential, there would be no reason why they would not be interested. AHM must reach out to the majority of the market, not just the few percent of us who wish for better Honda products here in the U.S. There are a variety of reasons why things are different here in the U.S. Some of these are debatable, but the presence of Acura and Honda's image in the U.S. when compared to other countries are probably the top two reasons. There is no one "idiot" who sits around approving anything, but rather an entire marketing research team who is responsible for studying and understanding the market. The one "idiot" simply goes by the statistics they are presented with.
MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-05-2008 12:53
The way I see it, Honda Japan and Honda NA work together. Honda NA provides a lot of info (marketing etc.) to Honda Japan, and Honda Japan probably makes the ultimate decision about what cars to build and sell in NA. Same for other markets. Some things like hybrids need more comprehensive planning because they intend to be sold everywhere.

Every market is different, depending on the customers, the regulations from the government, etc. Companies have to adapt to regional interests. That's the way it works for every car company, whether BMW or GM.

Pakos M
Profile for Pakos M
Re: Why does europe always get the better cars????? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2008 02:54
Why Americans get cars half the price we do?
Why Americans pay petrol half the price we do?

The S2K costs here 70K, and the TypeR 47K so be happy with what you get.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0