[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Chevy Prepping Mini-Blazer
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "Moose Test". Nissan Kicks fail
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: No more 3rd gen FC Clarity, Hello 2020 4th gen
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Red Bull Ring Round 11 MotoGP (spoiler)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The new and used Jeeps are moving off the lot in New Jersey
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Honda 2009 Model Year Change Summary > > Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Sarasotasun
Profile for Sarasotasun
Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2008 19:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I still don't get it. Why everywhere else?
Ezmerelda
Profile for Ezmerelda
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2008 19:49
do you mean "projectors?"
2007RC46SP2
Profile for 2007RC46SP2
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2008 21:46
WTF Honda...
you can get HID's on the JDM Fit!
WHY!!! WHY!!!

why do they treat us this way.

make it an option I'm sure people will pay.
i know you need to have auto levelers and washers but damn come on, i would pay a $750-1000 premium on a fit or civic.

safety for everyone... (else)

blueSi
Profile for blueSi
I would pay extra for HIDs. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2008 01:46
MINI charges $500 for projector HID headlights.

If Honda would just offer this option for the CR-V or Fit, I would be more than happy to pay for it.

GCustom
Profile for GCustom
Re: I would pay extra for HIDs. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2008 05:36
There's still no good reason the Civic Hybrid doesn't have low power high output lights on the higher trims, it is in direct competition to the Prius according to Honda, but it has traditional halogens only, not even a dealer installed HID or Projector Beam accessory.
Mugen Power
Profile for Mugen Power
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2008 07:41
2007RC46SP2 wrote:
WTF Honda...
WHY!!! WHY!!!

i know you need to have auto levelers and washers but damn come on, i would pay a $750-1000 premium on a fit or civic.

I don't believe it's a law in the US to have auto leveling and headlight washers with HIDs like it is in Europe.

domn
Profile for domn
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2008 07:47
I wonder why the CR-V doesn't get one of the newer K24's from the Accord?
mlody
Profile for mlody
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2008 08:01
HID are mainly the reason I still drive TL, not accord or even civic. there is nothing on the TL that I would miss moving to 2-door Accord but HID and I do not want to deal with aftermarket conventions.
VTECaddict
Profile for VTECaddict
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2008 19:42
domn wrote:
I wonder why the CR-V doesn't get one of the newer K24's from the Accord?

gotta save something for the MMC next year.

dodole
Profile for dodole
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2008 00:04
2007RC46SP2 wrote:
WTF Honda...
WHY!!! WHY!!!

Remember US = watered down everything. remember civic 2 gen ago they already have HIDs and Nav as option in Japan but not here.. people are too cheap. If you put all that in a civic people will not buy Acura and Civic gonna be the entry level lux car.

swimjax
Profile for swimjax
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2008 14:10
mlody wrote:
HID are mainly the reason I still drive TL, not accord or even civic. there is nothing on the TL that I would miss moving to 2-door Accord but HID and I do not want to deal with aftermarket conventions.

Same here. I just can't live without HIDs now. The Accord has just about everything my TSX does (although it's bigger and I don't necessarily like that), but the missing HIDs bugs me. I'd deal with the larger size of the Accord if it offered HIDs.

swimjax
Profile for swimjax
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2008 14:49
mlody wrote:

Same here. I just can't live without HIDs now. The Accord has just about everything my TSX does (although it's bigger and I don't necessarily like that), but the missing HIDs bugs me. I'd deal with the larger size of the Accord if it offered HIDs.

80honda
Profile for 80honda
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2008 15:00
Seriously, no way I'm paying $1000 for some different headlights.
FAL
Profile for FAL
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2008 15:44
80honda wrote:

More like $500 and that's my deductible if I hit a deer (or anything else).

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2008 18:09
FAL wrote:
80honda wrote:

My thought on this is if you can't see something and react in time, you either shouldn't be driving (too slow to react or simply blind), or you're driving too fast and overrunning your headlights. Now if the deer just randomly jumped out, no amount of output in Lumens would save you.

On a mainstream vehicle like the Civic, Honda would probably need to charge about $1000; the reason why you see HIDs going for cheaper on luxury vehicles is just that- they make higher profits on luxury vehicles to begin with and people in that class usually buys HIDs en mass (vs. the majority of people who survive with normal halogens). The North American market also demands cheap, whereas in Japan premium small vehicles isn't oxymoronic.

The Accord Coupe comes with Projectors, so installing HIDs shouldn't be difficult.

2007RC46SP2
Profile for 2007RC46SP2
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2008 19:27
80honda wrote:

most not of ever driven a vehicle with factory HID's
you'll never want anything else.

FAL
Profile for FAL
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2008 01:24
CarPhreakD wrote:
FAL wrote:
80honda wrote:

My thought on this is if you can't see something and react in time, you either shouldn't be driving (too slow to react or simply blind), or you're driving too fast and overrunning your headlights. Now if the deer just randomly jumped out, no amount of output in Lumens would save you.

On a mainstream vehicle like the Civic, Honda would probably need to charge about $1000; the reason why you see HIDs going for cheaper on luxury vehicles is just that- they make higher profits on luxury vehicles to begin with and people in that class usually buys HIDs en mass (vs. the majority of people who survive with normal halogens). The North American market also demands cheap, whereas in Japan premium small vehicles isn't oxymoronic.

The Accord Coupe comes with Projectors, so installing HIDs shouldn't be difficult.

You didn't seem to do too much thinking then, because HIDs throw a better pattern off to the sides, IME, allowing you to see what's lurking in the trees. Deer have an interesting way of blending into the shadows, day or night, and a few feet further visibility turning around a hairpin and a few feet more vision into the low hanging branches or brush can and do save your ass, even at 35 mph, which is a typical speed here on the twisty backroads and sidestreets in the hills of SW. OH and N. KY. I haven't gone a day yet without seeing one or two deer when driving, sometimes well over a dozen, and as often as not that's just in my front yard.

I seem to recall Mazda offered HIDs on the 3 for around $600 when they were a stand-alone option and not part of the Grand Touring trim level. Mass-production usually leads to a decrease in price, not an increase, as economies of scale are realized. Luxury buyers can afford to pay more, so why would a manufacturer discount their price for a low-volume, high-margin vehicle?

Sarasotasun
Profile for Sarasotasun
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-09-2008 12:24
All I'm sayin is that I want this is the US:
http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/internet/Honda.com.au/Home/Showroom/CRV/

80honda
Profile for 80honda
Re: Still no HIDs on the U.S. CR-V [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2008 00:02
FAL wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
FAL wrote:
80honda wrote:

You didn't seem to do too much thinking then, because HIDs throw a better pattern off to the sides, IME, allowing you to see what's lurking in the trees. Deer have an interesting way of blending into the shadows, day or night, and a few feet further visibility turning around a hairpin and a few feet more vision into the low hanging branches or brush can and do save your ass, even at 35 mph, which is a typical speed here on the twisty backroads and sidestreets in the hills of SW. OH and N. KY. I haven't gone a day yet without seeing one or two deer when driving, sometimes well over a dozen, and as often as not that's just in my front yard.

I seem to recall Mazda offered HIDs on the 3 for around $600 when they were a stand-alone option and not part of the Grand Touring trim level. Mass-production usually leads to a decrease in price, not an increase, as economies of scale are realized. Luxury buyers can afford to pay more, so why would a manufacturer discount their price for a low-volume, high-margin vehicle?

Well one big point. I live in the city, and we have street lights everywhere, so that $1000 for some extra light would be a waste of my money. . . . and I don't think I have ever seen a deer in Atlanta.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0