[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: " The Sedans are coming, the Sedans are coming! "
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX anecdote
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - Modifications --> Re: Rear Door Hack
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> And you thought you were the intended beneficiary of the proposed lower gas mileage rules...
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Aston Martin Valkarie ICE (Cosworth Design)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TheStraightPipes youtube car channel reviews
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Dispenser Issues and Infrared Interface
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: World Superbikes Ten Kate Team Bankrupt
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 22 mm Progressive Sway Bar on Civic Si
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: Vivid Racing Tune the NSX MkII
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: Moto GP Mugello RACE - Spoylers

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
JMU R1
Profile for JMU R1
Moto GP Mugello Qualifying    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2008 11:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
1. Valentino Rossi ITA Fiat Yamaha Team (B) 1min 48.130 secs
2. Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda Team (M) 1min 48.297 secs
3. Loris Capirossi ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 1min 48.313 secs
4. Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 1min 48.375 secs
5. Colin Edwards USA Tech 3 Yamaha (M) 1min 48.383 secs
6. Nicky Hayden USA Repsol Honda Team (M) 1min 48.666 secs
7. Jorge Lorenzo SPA Fiat Yamaha Team (M) 1min 48.905 secs
8. James Toseland GBR Tech 3 Yamaha (M) 1min 49.025 secs
9. Shinya Nakano JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini (B) 1min 49.095 secs
10. Alex de Angelis RSM San Carlo Honda Gresini (B) 1min 49.145 secs
11. Chris Vermeulen AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 1min 49.220 secs
12. Randy de Puniet FRA LCR Honda MotoGP (M) 1min 49.246 secs
13. Andrea Dovizioso ITA JiR Team Scot MotoGP (M) 1min 49.565 secs

14. John Hopkins USA Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 1min 49.601 secs
15. Tady Okada JPN Repsol Honda Team (M) 1min 49.829 secs
16. Toni Elias SPA Alice Team (B) 1min 49.851 secs
17. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Alice Team (B) 1min 50.275 secs
18. Marco Melandri ITA Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 1min 50.465 secs

Tady Okada is running the pneumatic valve engine but didn't post a faster top speed that Pedrosa yet. He is the second fastest Honda in a straight line, so maybe with one of the full time riders the pneumatic valve Honda could go a bit faster.

From the qualifying session lap analysis it looks like Rossi is going to be very, very tough to beat. He has never lost a Moto GP race at Mugello and he was the only rider during qualifying to put together a string of 1:49's. If Pedrosa can go a touch faster maybe he can get there but it's gonna be tough.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Moto GP Mugello Qualifying    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2008 11:13
How about gearing? Would Pedrosa be running shorter gears again for acceleration?
JMU R1
Profile for JMU R1
Re: Moto GP Mugello Qualifying    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2008 11:27
CarPhreakD wrote:
How about gearing? Would Pedrosa be running shorter gears again for acceleration?

Hard to say. Mugello has a good deal of sweepers so maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to run short gearing but I'm sure they are running it as short as they can within reason.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Moto GP Mugello Qualifying    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2008 14:41
JMU R1 wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:

Hard to say. Mugello has a good deal of sweepers so maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to run short gearing but I'm sure they are running it as short as they can within reason.

I have to say that I was pretty impressed with Okada's performance. The guy is over 40 and it has been 8 years since he last participated on a sprint-race, yet he managed to be on the pace of the best-of-the-best racers after just one session (both Friday practices were ruined by rain, and this morning he just managed to do the installation lap before getting back to the garage).

I honestly don't think that we've seen all that the engine/bike/Okada can do, because he has barely done any fast laps. He has spent the whole weekend doing 1 or 2 laps series, then back to the pits again. Just today at the end of the qualifying session you could tell that he was pushing a bit, and he was being consistently faster every single lap out there. Give him half an hour more and he could have been near the top10.

Top speed is not just about opening throttle, it depends a great deal on your speed out of the pre-straight turn. Okada was already on Dani's top figure without pushing nearly as much as the Spaniard, and that's not bad at all.

For the race though, Rossi found something on QP that Dani is still missing. The later is not far, but he needs an extra bit that he couldn't find after his first outing this morning. Me, like almost anyone else, I have the feeling it's going to be tough to beat Rossi at home, but I don't think it's impossible. In any case, I would happily settle with P2.

Hoping for a great race tomorrow, fearing Rossi may leave the pack behind, looking forward to see Okada in race conditions.

PS: I was surprised to see Lorenzo struggling that much during the whole weekend, specially considering how well the other Yamaha's did. That said, I would expect him to come to the front during the race.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Moto GP Mugello Qualifying - Okada quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2008 14:51
Here is what the Japanese rider had to say:

Tadayuki Okada - Fifteenth
`This morning we had an electrical problem which was caused by yesterday´s crash. We couldn't fix it quickly, so this afternoon was my only chance to ride in the dry. We still have to work on set-up for this track. With more time to improve suspension set-up, traction and gearing I think we could improve top speed by at least 5km/h. Tyre choice is another big issue because I´ve only tested one race tyre, so it will be difficult to choose.´

It's really such a pity that it had to rain so much this weekend. Hope the weather will stay nice tomorrow, and that Okada can be competitive during the race. We will for sure have to wait until the end, but I definitely think Nicky should give this bike a try in Spain.

HONDA FANATIC
Profile for HONDA FANATIC
Re: Moto GP Mugello Qualifying - Okada quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2008 16:10
unless Rossi crashes or some other problem, he wont even be touchable tomorrow. We should pray Dani comes second. Hondas race pace is very fishy.
JMU R1
Profile for JMU R1
Re: Moto GP Mugello Qualifying - Okada quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-31-2008 16:18
Actually Dani's race pace doesn't look bad. He shouldn't have much trouble getting a podium. The problem is that he doesn't look like he'll be able to trouble Rossi for the win.

I just hope the data they get from Okada this weekend will bring them closer to giving the regular riders the new engine.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Moto GP Mugello RACE - Spoylers    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-01-2008 13:25
JMU R1 wrote:
Actually Dani's race pace doesn't look bad. He shouldn't have much trouble getting a podium. The problem is that he doesn't look like he'll be able to trouble Rossi for the win.

I just hope the data they get from Okada this weekend will bring them closer to giving the regular riders the new engine.

Well, all in all it wasn't bad for Honda, but it's going to be hard to beat Rossi.

Hayden had a terrible race though, ending just in front of Okada, but overall the other Honda's were up there, and Gresini's team showing was splendid.

Okada obviously had a tough race, not having had enough time to set up his machine in the dry, but he still had quite a nice fight with West on the bottom of the charts, was able to finish the race, and kept on improving his lap-times until the very last one (he was the only rider to post the best lap on his last lap). His top speed may not seem that good on MotoGP charts, but HRC assessment after the race was that the new engine got an advantage of about 8kmph.

Okada said in his interview (in Japanese at motogp.com) after the race that he believed that with Dani riding the bike he would be faster than the Ducatis in the straight. He also said that now the main area for them to improve the engine is power-delivery (I guess the interview will get translated in English at some point)

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0