[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Passport spy pics
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "Moose Test". Nissan Kicks fail
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: No more 3rd gen FC Clarity, Hello 2020 4th gen
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > TOV Dyno Test: 2009 Acura TSX 6MT > > Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

ipribadi
Profile for ipribadi
Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-17-2008 11:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I didn't see this until I looked at the pics a second time.

Even my '03 AV6 has dual gas springs.
Did the previsous TSX have a hood prop rod too?

I suppose Acura's logic is that lux car owners rarely do DIY engine jobs and thus would not notice this lack of luxury.

ai yi yi ...

Ezmerelda
Profile for Ezmerelda
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-17-2008 22:35
I noticed it too, don't some of the currents accords have the "struts"? I know the coupe does.
VTECaddict
Profile for VTECaddict
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-18-2008 00:14
Ezmerelda wrote:
I noticed it too, don't some of the currents accords have the "struts"? I know the coupe does.

V6 accord does. 4cyl uses rods. as do all other hondas AFAIK.

i think TL and RL are the only other "hondas" with struts.

FuKev
Profile for FuKev
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-18-2008 09:21
What's the big deal? If a prop rod is good enough for the $70 K Nissan GT-R, then it's good enough for the TSX.
ipribadi
Profile for ipribadi
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-18-2008 09:56
Another possibility is due to the weight and length of the TSX hood, it probably doesn't require too much force to lift/open.

A longer hood like on the Accord maybe a bit hefty to lift manually and would need a strut to improve ergonomics.

I found a pic over at Edmunds showing the previous TSX also having a hood rod.

CybrRdr
Profile for CybrRdr
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-18-2008 15:23
My 1999 Accord EX-L V-6 uses gas struts.

I noticed that even the new 2009 Pilot needs a hood prop. (lame)

I don't think weight is an issue. It's a cost issue. Hood rod is cheaper then gas strut(s).

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2008 00:26
ipribadi wrote:

I suppose Acura's logic is that lux car owners rarely do DIY engine jobs and thus would not notice this lack of luxury.

ai yi yi ...

Prop rods also don't ever go bad. At worst, you have to replace the little $2 clip that holds it to the frame.

Ra005e
Profile for Ra005e
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2008 04:25
owequitit wrote:
ipribadi wrote:

ai yi yi ...

Prop rods also don't ever go bad. At worst, you have to replace the little $2 clip that holds it to the frame.

I feel the same way, especially when the rod is positioned so it doesn't torque the hood out of shape over time.
Having to use a vice grip on one of the struts is an inevitable PITA, at least when you tend to drive older cars.

Texas
Profile for Texas
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2008 15:54
owequitit wrote:
ipribadi wrote:

ai yi yi ...

And we can get a hand crank to replace the starter as the hand crank will not go bad...I drive an 04 tsx, the prop rod is a pita and low end...

Wizard
Profile for Wizard
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2008 18:22
Texas wrote:
owequitit wrote:
ipribadi wrote:

ai yi yi ...

And we can get a hand crank to replace the starter as the hand crank will not go bad...I drive an 04 tsx, the prop rod is a pita and low end...

Only if you can't tell the difference between significance of starter (as opposed to hand cranking) over a mechanism that holds the hood in place.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2008 21:27
I don't see why saving money and complexity (even a little) is a big deal on an item you will rarely use. For most people, the only time they will pop the hood is if there is a breakdown (which is rare anyways with modern cars, let alone modern Hondas). If you read the manual and check your oil regularly, you might use that prop rod every couple of weeks or once a month.

Hell, my $40k Infiniti still uses a prop rod too. Hood struts would be _nice_, but not something worth bitching about.

SC

80honda
Profile for 80honda
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2008 21:34
who the freak cares. How many times will you even be under the hood, and the rod holds the hood perfectly. Those gas struts will fail after years of the heat from the engine and will need to be replaced.
ipribadi
Profile for ipribadi
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2008 14:26
I guess it's not that having a prop rod is such a big deal, it's just that we're all confused about the logic that Honda is using: shocks for the '99 Accord V6, and rod for the '09 TSX.

I guessed that it maybe determined by ergonomics: long hood needs a shock, SUV's need a shock b/c their hood is higher up, etc. But maybe not.

Wizard
Profile for Wizard
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2008 15:38
ipribadi wrote:
I guess it's not that having a prop rod is such a big deal, it's just that we're all confused about the logic that Honda is using: shocks for the '99 Accord V6, and rod for the '09 TSX.

I guessed that it maybe determined by ergonomics: long hood needs a shock, SUV's need a shock b/c their hood is higher up, etc. But maybe not.

Was it the coupe or sedan? Sometimes Honda maintains that difference... don't ask me why.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2008 17:01
Wizard wrote:
ipribadi wrote:

Was it the coupe or sedan? Sometimes Honda maintains that difference... don't ask me why.

for some reason, I believe Honda has always used the gas struts on all V6 versions of the Accord. I guess they see it as an additional point of distinction.

Honda-D
Profile for Honda-D
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-24-2008 17:33
Jeff wrote:
Wizard wrote:
ipribadi wrote:

for some reason, I believe Honda has always used the gas struts on all V6 versions of the Accord. I guess they see it as an additional point of distinction.

May be the V6 model bring in higher margin to justify struts

PGH
Profile for PGH
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2008 18:14
After looking at this car in person I think it would be a hit as a Honda. It belongs between the Civic and Accord
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2008 02:43
Wizard wrote:
ipribadi wrote:

I don't know about the 5th generation, but on the 6th and 7th, all V6's have struts.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Still uses a hood prop rod !?!? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2008 02:45
Texas wrote:
owequitit wrote:
ipribadi wrote:

ai yi yi ...

Yes, except that the most effort the prop rod requires is for you to hold the hood with 1 hand and move the rod with the other, while handcranks have been known to remove hands altogether. Big difference.

Besides, like it was already mentioned. Most Acura owners won't even know what the underside of their hood looks like.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0