[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
CR-V --> Re: 2019 RAV4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Climate pre-conditioning
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Carlos Ghosn arrested! He gone
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Grinch "Takeover". Thoughts?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Type S Announcment at LA
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
Service Experiences --> Need a good shop in South SF
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Japanese Auto Manufacturers want two rules changes
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda' new BEV
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: Pricing likely to come down

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Carmissimo
Profile for Carmissimo
Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2008 10:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Lexus just dropped the price of the IS250 base model down to $31,900 here in Canada.

Even comparably equiped to the TSX, the IS250 now lists for $37,050 (base car with moonroof/leather package).

You have to figure that when the new TSX comes to market, Acura has no choice but to respond to this. The TSX currently lists for $36,200.

When Lexus is offering a 6 with rear-wheel drive for close to the price of a FWD 4 TSX, it's hard to imagine that Acura can stand pat.

Any thoughts?

5thTo2nd
Profile for 5thTo2nd
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2008 12:51
I posted this in another thread, but my thoughts are that Acura will have almost no choice but to lower the MSRP or offer incentives to stay competitive. I, for one, am now considering the IS.
Carmissimo
Profile for Carmissimo
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2008 13:58
It's not just the TSX that is affected by this move. That price brings the IS250 into a range making it an attractive option, in stripped form, for someone considering a CSX as well.

I owned a stripped IS300 (lost my job, now I drive an Echo) and found the car to be fine, even without the leather and sunroof. Certainly if you are comparing a well-equiped CSX vs. a base IS 250, the IS has a spectacular advantage.

A word of warning though about the Lexus. Prepare to pay more for maintenance, a lot more. Even the cost of maintaining a Toyota product is rather high, compared to Acura/Honda.

I'd wait on Honda/Acura's response to this challenge before making a decision, if you can hold off that long.

In any case, I think this is great news for consumers in Canada. It means automakers are going to have to adjust their Canadian prices drastically in our favour.

By the way, sorry about not catching your post. Guess I didn't look close enough.

Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2008 14:21
Todays related links section.

Yes everyone is effected.

I wouldnt worry about paying much about the lexus. Its a Lexus so I don't think it will be falling apart at the dealer weekly.

5thTo2nd
Profile for 5thTo2nd
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2008 14:28
Thanks for the heads up. Maintenance cost will be something I'll look into before making the jump. I'll probably take it to my own mechanic anyways so the labor cost will be a non-issue. If the parts are more expensive than Acura then that's a different story...
Carmissimo
Profile for Carmissimo
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2008 21:16
Powered by Honda wrote:
Todays related links section.

Yes everyone is effected.

I wouldnt worry about paying much about the lexus. Its a Lexus so I don't think it will be falling apart at the dealer weekly.

I'm not talking about repairing defective components (which would be covered under warranty in any event). I'm talking regular maintenance.

Don't get me wrong. I think Lexus makes a great car. But you do have to keep maintenance costs in mind when buying a car.

Powered by Honda
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2008 23:28
ohhh nvm my bad.
chuchurocket
Profile for chuchurocket
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2008 23:46
Carmissimo wrote:
Lexus just dropped the price of the IS250 base model down to $31,900 here in Canada.

Even comparably equiped to the TSX, the IS250 now lists for $37,050 (base car with moonroof/leather package).

You have to figure that when the new TSX comes to market, Acura has no choice but to respond to this. The TSX currently lists for $36,200.

When Lexus is offering a 6 with rear-wheel drive for close to the price of a FWD 4 TSX, it's hard to imagine that Acura can stand pat.

Any thoughts?

IS is not only offering a 6 cylinder rwd 6 speed car for the same price, it's also offering you a choice of 5k discount if you are willing to give up leather and moonroof while maintaining the better drive train. OR at a cost of 6k more you get ur bigger engine and bigger wheel so your IS will completely obliterate the current TSX, destroy the upcoming TSX and very likely will beat or at least challenge the future type-S for a run for its money. for the same 6K extra spent on a current TSX u get the A-SPEC PACKAGE!!!! with all that body kit along with the a-spec emblem and EBONY COLORED WHEEL will sure get you your money's worth. i really can't picture anybody without severe brain damage chosing a TSX over the IS250 right now.

and I doubt the new TSX will be anywhere near 31k-ish. there's a chance it will be lower, but not that low. remember, when tsx first came out it was 34900? you have a choice of manual and automatic was free option. then some genius at acura canada figure that they should start charging 1k for the same automatic which used to be free, made absolutely no sense at all. also the price of a TSX now is about the same as a last gen TL 5-6 years ago when it first came out, and it was a 3.2 v6 slightly larger car that is just as well equipped. if acura can't realize that they have been selling TSX for the same price as the faster/bigger 3.2 TL 5-6 years ago for quite a while then they won't be able to realize that they need to lower the msrp for the next TSX

chuchurocket
Profile for chuchurocket
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2008 00:17
just another FYI, in canada, for those of you who doesn't know yet, the bmw 128 will have a price of 34000, and the 135, a price of 42000. with the $ 42k 300 hp 135 having acceleration that matches porshce cayman-S and 911-cab. even the cheaper 128 have a 0 to 60 of 6.4 second the same 42k right now gets u a tsx with rear entertainment package.

meahwhile acura "proudly presents" the next gen tsx, with the same transmission, same front wheel drive, same engine with some HP upgrade somewhere up in the realm of 8k rpm that most of us won't ever see.

Powered by Honda
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2008 01:28
chuchurocket wrote:
just another FYI, in canada, for those of you who doesn't know yet, the bmw 128 will have a price of 34000, and the 135, a price of 42000. with the $ 42k 300 hp 135 having acceleration that matches porshce cayman-S and 911-cab. even the cheaper 128 have a 0 to 60 of 6.4 second the same 42k right now gets u a tsx with rear entertainment package.

meahwhile acura "proudly presents" the next gen tsx, with the same transmission, same front wheel drive, same engine with some HP upgrade somewhere up in the realm of 8k rpm that most of us won't ever see.

ROFLL!!! Rear entertainment package! I love it!

Listen chu...

Lexus pricing the IS250 at 31000 hurts Honda/acura the most.

Same prices as the accord ex-l 190hp i4.

2k cheaper then CSX-S and 4.5 k cheaper then current TSX.

Expect the next TSX to start at 37,500 because the top accord is around 38,000 with navi.

This is how the prices were last 5 years same pattern should happen.

Where the top accord was slightly higher then the tsx base.

Now that the accord went up expect the next all new more powerful tsx to aswell.

New c-class at 35000 has a more aggressive lease and can be priced the same as the lexus if you lease monthly payments.

That being said anyone ever drive a 6MT c-class? lol? or what?

Right now my eye is on the IS250....

bottom line:
CHEAPEST RWD IN CANADA!

chuchurocket
Profile for chuchurocket
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2008 05:01
well, the lexus IS is the cheapest entry-lvl luxury import RWD.

the CHEAPEST RWD car i think is the dodge charger :p, somewhere around 22k now.

oh and the 420 something hp SRT8 is just a bit over 40k now. for 6k more you get chrysler 300c treatment if you want some luxury and refinement.

i know like most of us here, unless there are suicide bombers chasing after me i will probably never step foot inside a chrysler/dodge dealership. but c'mon, 40 k for a 420 hp rwd car ???(resisting the urges to compare it price-wise to tsx) i gotta admit even the die-hard import fan will be tempted to look the other way for once.

raffn
Profile for raffn
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2008 05:59
I know the IS has a very attractive price. It is goes for at least 5,000 less (4650 + tax). And the best thing is, that the price can goes towards financing or leasing.
On the other hand Honda and Acura has that cash incentives. Last time I checked Accord gets 3k-4k off, same goes with the TSX but that is only available for cash deals only.
I was considering on the new TSX, but how the IS is on top of my list. Thats unless if Acura can attact me with a better deal than the IS.

dxv15v
Profile for dxv15v
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2008 07:52
I think you should price out the IS250 with comparable equiptments as TSX at lexus.ca. You'll be surpriced.
chuchurocket
Profile for chuchurocket
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2008 19:05
dxv15v wrote:
I think you should price out the IS250 with comparable equiptments as TSX at lexus.ca. You'll be surpriced.

lexus RWD is250, automatic, with the most expensive 9700 sport package that comes with hid 18 inch wheel sport suspension and all the bells and whistles: 43300

acura tsx, automatic, with optional 18 inch wheel and sport suspension: 44064.

btw the lexus is350 is only 43500.

yes, i'm surprised too that the tsx is such a giant rip-off and wondering at this point why anybody with a brainstem will even look at a tsx

Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-10-2008 22:02
Stateside, Toyota's clearing them out as well, you can get into a stripper IS250 for $28.5k with no haggling at Carsdirect.

The TSX is about $26.8k. Both aren't really my cup of tea, though. Although the upcoming TSX turbodiesel would probably change my mind.

Carmissimo
Profile for Carmissimo
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-23-2008 11:40
chuchurocket wrote:

Where did you get those numbers?

That seems steep to me considering a 3 Series starts at $35,900 and Audi A3 starts at $32,300.

Maybe BMW was thinking of asking $34,000 for the 128 but I don't think they have officially released the numbers yet and it's going to be something less than that, in light of the direction the Canadian market is going in. If I had to guess, I'd say something like $32,900 if not a little less.

That 1 Series coupe will be an interesting product. Sounds like it will be a blast to drive but the question will be if one can live with the limited rear-passenger and trunk space.

chuchurocket
Profile for chuchurocket
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-23-2008 18:10
Carmissimo wrote:
chuchurocket wrote:

Where did you get those numbers?

That seems steep to me considering a 3 Series starts at $35,900 and Audi A3 starts at $32,300.

Maybe BMW was thinking of asking $34,000 for the 128 but I don't think they have officially released the numbers yet and it's going to be something less than that, in light of the direction the Canadian market is going in. If I had to guess, I'd say something like $32,900 if not a little less.

That 1 Series coupe will be an interesting product. Sounds like it will be a blast to drive but the question will be if one can live with the limited rear-passenger and trunk space.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109744

looks pretty real and official to me. but who knows they may drop 6k of the msrp like lexus, and make it start at 28k, add a 2k discount on top of that it's practically within civic si and toyota matrix XR (lol) pricing territory.

well performance-wise i really wouldn't say the a3 is anywhere near any bmw, in my mind it's more of a mini-cooper-S competitor, which is cheaper than the A3

33900 for a 128 is not that far from 32900 anyway. these price are realy not that bad, consdering that the 350z and s2000 start at 50k, the rx8 with an automatic which accelerate like a mazda6 4 cyl is nearly 40k, even the bargain RWD's like saturn sky and MX-5 GT starts aronnd 34~35k and those are 4 cylinders

135 is another story, it has the enough performance for ppl with e46 M3's to trade in their ride, and considering that even a 5 yrs old used e46 m3 with 70,000km can still fetch up to 35~40k+, 135 is not really a bad deal at aruond 42000

chuchurocket
Profile for chuchurocket
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-23-2008 18:21
just found another site

http://outdrive.ca/2008/01/27/2008-bmw-1-series-pricing/

pricing seems accurate.

check the spec out, 6.4 second 0 to 60 with 9.3L/100km

standard 10 speakers, heated seat, 6 airbag and automatic climate ctrl.

xenon standard on the cabriolet.

now only if they make the front fascia less agonizing to look at...

jheighto
Profile for jheighto
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-23-2008 20:56
I was at the TO autoshow today, and took a look at the BMW vs Acura setup (they were both in Rogers Center so easy to compare visually). First of all one can note how the BMW's are all sporty, no nonsense driver cars and most of them pretty flashy looking with their wheel designs. BMW has now a range of coupes most model lines 1 series, 3 series and 6 series, and they have their M line as well. They also have their SUV's and large saloon cars. One thing I can say is you get lots of choice for any driver, only prob they go up in price quite a bit, yet that remains, the choice and the driving dynamic. Also the BMW people were all pumped about their product and their capabilities, no shortage of help.

Now over at Acura, you had a handful of somewhat boring looking collection of vehicles. No coupes at all (ie. NSX gone, CL gone, RSX gone )nothing to speak off. RL and TSX on display were last of the models and looked somewhat dated, although still capable cars. MDX and RDX are the SUV/CUV variants, and the TL in their as well. When I brought up the disappointment of upcoming TSX to the Acura people their, they at first told me they knew nothing about the new car, even denying it showing up at the New York auto show. Then when I told them all the leaked specs they said "But yeah it is getting more Torque". After that they turned away that was it. The Acura Brand is dying, whether in USA or Can, it has become bland and not exciting. Bring up pricing with another person, they tried to impress me with 0.9% rate AND 90 days no payments! wow! on outgoing vehicles! Not sure what is going to happen to acura.

Carmissimo
Profile for Carmissimo
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-23-2008 22:09
jheighto wrote:
I was at the TO autoshow today, and took a look at the BMW vs Acura setup (they were both in Rogers Center so easy to compare visually). First of all one can note how the BMW's are all sporty, no nonsense driver cars and most of them pretty flashy looking with their wheel designs. BMW has now a range of coupes most model lines 1 series, 3 series and 6 series, and they have their M line as well. They also have their SUV's and large saloon cars. One thing I can say is you get lots of choice for any driver, only prob they go up in price quite a bit, yet that remains, the choice and the driving dynamic. Also the BMW people were all pumped about their product and their capabilities, no shortage of help.

Now over at Acura, you had a handful of somewhat boring looking collection of vehicles. No coupes at all (ie. NSX gone, CL gone, RSX gone )nothing to speak off. RL and TSX on display were last of the models and looked somewhat dated, although still capable cars. MDX and RDX are the SUV/CUV variants, and the TL in their as well. When I brought up the disappointment of upcoming TSX to the Acura people their, they at first told me they knew nothing about the new car, even denying it showing up at the New York auto show. Then when I told them all the leaked specs they said "But yeah it is getting more Torque". After that they turned away that was it. The Acura Brand is dying, whether in USA or Can, it has become bland and not exciting. Bring up pricing with another person, they tried to impress me with 0.9% rate AND 90 days no payments! wow! on outgoing vehicles! Not sure what is going to happen to acura.

I think what makes BMW a premium brand and Acura not so much is the fact that BMW aspires to build cars, even somewhat affordable, that are something out of the ordinary.

The 1 Series coupe is an excellent example of that. The car is not for everybody. It lacks the room to appeal to a lot of buyers but while I obviously haven't driven the car, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a rear-wheel-drive coupe with a 50/50 weight distribution, a 3L motor, and all the quality suspension bits that we know BMW will be able to throw into the mix, is going to be a big-time blast to drive.

If Honda thinks that bells and whistles combined with overcharging for its cars will make Acura a premium brand, they absolutely don't get it.

At the end of the day if you want to be taken seriously as a carmaker, you have to build at least some models that appeal to true car lovers. I'm not talking about a love for leather seating, a moonroof, power this and power that. I'm talking about a love for a car that when you get it out on the road is an absolute joy to drive. It has to deliver a clear message, namely that it's not just another one of countless vehicles all seemingly forged from the same mold.

The current TSX, when I drove it back when it was introduced, struck me as a very competent but forgettable vehicle. If Honda really wants to be regarded as a top-tier automaker, it's Acura products need to be more than just the same old same old. I hope Honda has imbued the new version of the car with a more noteworthy personality. If the new TSX is just another well-made appliance, then it's going to have to be some other future model that allows Acura to be considered in the same class as BMW.

Besides, when the competence of such affordable products as the Civic and Corolla continues to get better, it makes it progressively more difficult to justify paying a premium for a product that basically just delivers a little more of the same.

Carmissimo
Profile for Carmissimo
Re: Pricing likely to come down    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-23-2008 22:23
chuchurocket wrote:
just found another site

http://outdrive.ca/2008/01/27/2008-bmw-1-series-pricing/

pricing seems accurate.

check the spec out, 6.4 second 0 to 60 with 9.3L/100km

standard 10 speakers, heated seat, 6 airbag and automatic climate ctrl.

xenon standard on the cabriolet.

now only if they make the front fascia less agonizing to look at...

Sounds like that will be the pricing but that dates back about a month ago, just before Lexus cut its prices.

While the 1 Series really has no direct competition, the 3 Series is in a very competitive class and if the 3 Series pricing is reduced any time soon, the 1 Series would have to be adjusted accordingly.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the months ahead.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0