[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2020 Corolla Revealed
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda' new BEV
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Interview Max Verstappen on F1 and Watches & the new TAG Heuer Verstappen Edition
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 Advance Squeaks and Camera Issues
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX Sportwagon - rear washer not squirting
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: 2008 TL Type S or 2009 TSX? Same money so which is better?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
vtiman
Profile for vtiman
tl vs tsx revisited    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2008 21:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
since the tsx and tl and very similar in size and appearance then they have to have some differentiation. so if the tsx has a 200 hp 4 and possibly a turbo 4 at some point, why not keep the 6 for the tl?

in other words, if the new tl is similar in size and style to the new tsx, why wouldn't you choose the tl if the tsx is not powerful enough ? surely a 6 cyl tsx wouldn't be much cheaper nor much faster.

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: tl vs tsx revisited    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2008 21:11
Where did you get the idea that the TL and TSX are going to be THAT close in size? The current offerings are close but the TL is still the larger vehicle.

TL will always have a V6 offering and the TSX will more than likely always have a n/a 4 banger as its base engine.

~LP

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: tl vs tsx revisited    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2008 00:37
well, his point is that if the tsx is not enough, the go for the TL. Not a big difference in car, but will satisfy your needs in terms of power if the tsx doesnt - without sacrificing the vehicle since they're so similar.

But I can only see them as way different vehicles. And a V6 is probably not what people want when they ask for power from a tsx, they simply want a more powerful I4 which is what TSX buyers want, a powerful I4 not a v6 TL.

It is very redundant but that is how this case is going.

Mikef
Profile for Mikef
Re: tl vs tsx revisited    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2008 01:21
The TSX regardless of engine size or type needs to be a great handler or the gig is up. The TL is the fast high value option with reasonable handling until pushed and then it understeers too much and torque steer appears. You do not buy a TSX for stoplight drags and you do not buy a TL for its handling finesse. The TL is quite a bit wider than the current TSX and only slighly longer. The current TSX has a slightly larger trunk even though it is a smaller car. It will be interesting to compare the new TSX with the new TL. I think the new Accord gives us a preview of coming attractions.
AK
Profile for AK
Re: tl vs tsx revisited    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2008 22:02
This is what I've told everyone. IF they want V6 power, Acura makes the TL. It's just as nice as the TSX. I"d love to get one if I could afford it PLUS the gas.

Wanting a 260 HP 4 cyc is crazy. Does lexus/bmw/mercdes offer a 4 cyc with that much power? It's called a V6, check into it.

The TL is HARDLY bigger than the TSX... And they even make a Type S that has more power, sports suspension and Brembo brakes AND 6 speed manual (that IS350 doesn't have) So what more do u want?

For everyone who complains, the true reason they dont want the TL Type S is cuz they are cheap. Even though the comparable car by Lexus/BMW is still way higher in price.

They want a 300HP V6 TSX for 29K. It's called 38K for the Type-S, cough it up, or stop complaining.

nowakj66
Profile for nowakj66
2008 TL Type S or 2009 TSX? Same money so which is better?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2008 09:12
For me the real question as a potential purchaser is this - come April 2008, you will be able to get a brand new 2009 TSX for very similar money to the outgoing 2008 TL or even TL-S.

The deals I am seeing on the TL-S are certainly sub $35k and maybe even $33k. Lets assume a TSX is $31k with NAV, which is the better buy?

This situation is the same as occured when the TSX came out. A nice car but the outgoing 2003 TLs could be had for roughly the same money.

From a depreciciation standpoint, the TSX will probably be worth more in 5 years. But you do get a lot of car in the TL type S for very similar cash outlay today.

I am personally wrestling with this. Any thoughts?

5thTo2nd
Profile for 5thTo2nd
Re: 2008 TL Type S or 2009 TSX? Same money so which is better?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2008 09:48
^^Depends on what kind of buyer you are and what you're looking for.

If you care about a "future-proof" car and don't like driving the last year of a previous gen model, then the TSX should be your choice. Disadvantage is that you would be buying into a 1st year redesign which usually needs a couple years to iron out the wrinkles.

If you don't care about future-proofing and just about what the car itself has to offer based on its own merits and value, the TL-S is worth consideration since you'll be getting it for a steal.

My uncle bought a loaded last gen TL-S A-spec the last time this happened but he's also practical, cheap, and a family man.

crjpilot04
Profile for crjpilot04
Re: 2008 TL Type S or 2009 TSX? Same money so which is better?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2008 10:57
I was on the fence for quite a while between the two, and ended up getting the TL last summer and couldn't be happier. The car is smooth, responsive, quiet, and powerful when you need it to be. Go drive them both on the same day (same route, same conditions) and see which you like better. The TL "feels" bigger but personally I liked the power and smoothness of the 6 over the 4 in the TSX - once I drove them both I knew I wanted the TL. That's what worked for me anyway. Good luck with your decision, they're both great cars.
nowakj66
Profile for nowakj66
Re: 2008 TL Type S or 2009 TSX? Same money so which is better?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2008 12:47
Thanks 5th - I guess I could also be described as practical, cheap, and a family man!

I guess that is why I also flirt with the idea of a Civic Si sedan from time to time. (Driving a 2005 Accord v6 hybrid sedan right now).

5thTo2nd
Profile for 5thTo2nd
Re: 2008 TL Type S or 2009 TSX? Same money so which is better?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2008 14:03
^^ No problem. I'm in the same boat but I'm considering the new Accord and TSX instead of the TL-S and TSX so I kinda know what you're thinking. I'm probably going to end up with the new TSX. Civic Si is manual only!

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0