[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: iOS 11 breaks just about all Bluetooth Functionality, 2013-15 Accord—** UPDATE **
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Several more '09 Acura TSX, RL, and TL updates > > Re: "Good enough" may not be good enough

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Sasker
Profile for Sasker
"Good enough" may not be good enough [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-30-2008 21:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I remember a time when Honda and Acura enthusiasts used to boast about their marvelous engines, getting 100+ hp/litre and great handling, etc. Now it seems we are content with a "good enough" J-series SOHC engine and a "good-enough" FWD chassis design. I am seeing many people on this forum say to the effect of "Who would need or care for DOHC/ manual transmissions/RWD/a halo car/etc.? They don't sell in enough numbers."

Where is the soul of this company?

Honda/Acura just aren't the same. It seems like wishful thinking to expect true sporty cars from them. "Manual transmissions? High-tech engines? They don't sell enough, so can't do".

Sure they are "good enough" and reliable, but that may not be enough to make them "advance" into tier 1 territory, or to even allow them to claim to be into sporty cars.

sajicd
Profile for sajicd
Re: "Good enough" may not be good enough [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-30-2008 22:42
Hell i was just tonight thinking about the 1995 Integra GSR
1.4 L 180 HP, and the type R with 200HP

now we're getting a 306HP RL. WOW. out of 3.7L. Even Better!

ADVANCE.

Sasker wrote:
I remember a time when Honda and Acura enthusiasts used to boast about their marvelous engines, getting 100+ hp/litre and great handling, etc. Now it seems we are content with a "good enough" J-series SOHC engine and a "good-enough" FWD chassis design. I am seeing many people on this forum say to the effect of "Who would need or care for DOHC/ manual transmissions/RWD/a halo car/etc.? They don't sell in enough numbers."

Where is the soul of this company?

Honda/Acura just aren't the same. It seems like wishful thinking to expect true sporty cars from them. "Manual transmissions? High-tech engines? They don't sell enough, so can't do".

Sure they are "good enough" and reliable, but that may not be enough to make them "advance" into tier 1 territory, or to even allow them to claim to be into sporty cars.

Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: "Good enough" may not be good enough [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-31-2008 01:00
guys....I mean idiots....nobody wants a high strung 100000 rpm low torque luxury RL!

9000 rpm on an RL is fine with at least 290lbs feet of torque. Honda cant, I repeat can't do that type of MAGIC.

Theres no replacement for displacement and physics. Wake up and stop dreaming.

krazeericeboi54
Profile for krazeericeboi54
Re: "Good enough" may not be good enough [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-31-2008 01:16
Powered by Honda wrote:
guys....I mean idiots....nobody wants a high strung 100000 rpm low torque luxury RL!

actually...i kinda do.

just playing....yea, i feel like acura has hit a dead end kinda unless they go RWD which i know is prob gonna be heck expensive to develop a new platform and all

MrRogers
Profile for MrRogers
Re: "Good enough" may not be good enough [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-31-2008 05:18
I have given up on Acura as becoming a strong player in the "luxury" market. This company seems more content in playing second fiddle, and competing against the likes of Buick, Volvo, Saab, and every other near-luxury brand out there. It seems that complacency is a core principal for Honda/Acura (and many of so-called Honda "enthusiasts"), in which good enough is good enough, where as every other competitor seems to step their game up with each new vehicle they put into production. I hope some big surprises are in store for the new RL, TL, and TSX that will make many of us go "wow", but in light of new competitors such as the CTS, C-Class, A4, A5, G35, G37, Jaguar XF, and even the Hyundai Genesis Sedan and Coupe, this may be a difficult task to accomplish.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: "Good enough" may not be good enough [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-31-2008 07:57
MrRogers wrote:
I have given up on Acura as becoming a strong player in the "luxury" market. This company seems more content in playing second fiddle, and competing against the likes of Buick, Volvo, Saab, and every other near-luxury brand out there. It seems that complacency is a core principal for Honda/Acura (and many of so-called Honda "enthusiasts"), in which good enough is good enough, where as every other competitor seems to step their game up with each new vehicle they put into production. I hope some big surprises are in store for the new RL, TL, and TSX that will make many of us go "wow", but in light of new competitors such as the CTS, C-Class, A4, A5, G35, G37, Jaguar XF, and even the Hyundai Genesis Sedan and Coupe, this may be a difficult task to accomplish.

I'm kind of waffling on how I feel about Honda/Acura's direction, but one thing is for sure, these cars which are listed above all have serious game and substance which Acura needs to pay close attention to, much closer than they would've needed to just a couple years ago.

Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: "Good enough" may not be good enough [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-31-2008 09:18