[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: Ross Brawn not calling race strategy

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
hondaracer
Profile for hondaracer
Ross Brawn not calling race strategy    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2008 18:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41684

He basically states that he doesn't intend to be on the pit wall, "calling the shots", so to speak.

This bums me out quite a bit, because his brilliant race strategies (MS on four stops in Magny-Cours, anyone?) were a big part of the reason his signing excited me.

Oh, well, we shall see.

Last edited by JeffX on 01-29-2008 18:51
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Ross Brawn not calling race strategy    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2008 22:23
Brawn being absent from the pit wall is not that big a deal. All the strategy is worked out before hand, and the the pit wall decides whic strategy to use in which situation. The problem has been, looking from a distance, that the Honda team did not have a number of strategies to choose from, like say Ferrari did. If plan A didn't work, plan B was too similar to plan A to make a difference [if they had a plan B that is]. Or so it seemed from the outside.

Brawn's strength should be in having the obvious plan, but also plans X, Y and Z that no one anticipates. The implementation of which plan is really down to computer modelers doing their job on the pit wall. It would be nice to have Brawn on the wall, be he has bigger fish to fry now.

ciwai
Profile for ciwai
Re: Ross Brawn not calling race strategy    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2008 22:50
I agree. I might get slagged by his detractors for saying this, but I think a large part of his ingenuity at race craft was in having a driver of the caliber of schumacher to work with.
WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Ross Brawn not calling race strategy    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-30-2008 03:31
The way I read the interviews, it seems the Brawn is basically saying he thinks the team is competent enough to do a good job but if he feels it is needed, he will step in and control things. But I think what he really wants is to get away from doing the actual job or sitting at the pitwall and monitoring the race closely. So he expects his people to be competent enough to do that and also to make the calls for normal situation. If say suddenly it threatens to rain or if the safety car suddenly comes out, then perhaps Brawn may step in and make some decisions. But I think he says he now has a much bigger role than just in charge of strategy so he can't get bogged down with the intimate (his word) details.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Ross Brawn not calling race strategy    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-30-2008 06:57
Yeah, and I think his expertise could be put to better use elsewhere. Especially if Honda doesn't put forth a car that can win races this year, strategy isn't going to be a huge factor either way. It may make the difference if one of the drivers scores a point or two more or no points, but it more than likely will not get them on the podium.
Neilap
Profile for Neilap
Re: Ross Brawn not calling race strategy    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-30-2008 10:35
I never thought our race strategy was that bad. It may have not been the best at times but every team is guilty of that. Ferrari have been so dominant in the past that Honda's strategies would have worked just as well as what Ferrari implemented. Everyone by now knows where we need the most help. That is why Ross was hired. The team needs a real leader. I like the direction of things thus far.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Ross Brawn not calling race strategy    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-30-2008 12:09
Yeah, and actually I think over the last two years the team improved a lot in the race strategy area. Mainly last year.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0