[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2020 Corolla Revealed
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda' new BEV
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Interview Max Verstappen on F1 and Watches & the new TAG Heuer Verstappen Edition
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 Advance Squeaks and Camera Issues
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX Sportwagon - rear washer not squirting
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: Base Engine - Fuel Economy?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
coldbivy
Profile for coldbivy
Base Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2008 12:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
What if Honda puts the K23T in as the base?

I think this may actually be what Acura has in mind. If they put the K23T (or maybe a shorter stroked version of it) in with low boost, they could easily tune it to the 220-230 hp that has been rumored. I don't think they can get 230 out of the K24. With low boost, the K23T will get better fuel economy and put a manageable amount of torque down to the front wheels.

This would put the base engine more in line with the base engine in the A4 and make similar power to the 328i. It would also create some product differentiation between the TSX and the Accord.

Later, they can drop a six in and there will actually be some seperation in power between the two.

Mikef
Profile for Mikef
Re: Base Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2008 12:12
I suspect you are right. Turbocharged engines are the future, BMW is turbocharging its V8 for the 5,6,7 etc. In the TSX this engine might just might be sweet. The RDX is just too heavy to let the K23 shine. It will be interesting to see.
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Base Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2008 13:55
I agree it would be interesting, but the one thing to consider is that we've already ordered the first cars. Both 5AT and 6MT were available. Unless they've drastically retuned the turbo, it makes too much torque for the existing TSX trannys. If they are using the TLS trannys, it might work, but thats got to cost a lot of money.
coldbivy
Profile for coldbivy
Re: Base Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2008 15:58
Why do you think it would cost that much money? Also, why do you think the 5AT and 6MT are the same transmissions that are in the current TSX? Do the order forms have part numbers?

Honda has a 6MT that can already handle 250 ft-lb of torque. It, or a similar one, has been used in the TL-S and Accord V6 MT6 (note how much the Accord MT6 costs--with V6). Is this transmission actually different from the MT6 in the TSX? Or is the clutch the only difference?

The 5AT from the Accord/TL can already handle 250+ ft-lb of torque. Auto transmissions are quite good at handling torque. I have a SUV with a 5 speed tranny that takes 330 ft-lb of torque and it is in a vehicle that costs quite a bit less than a TL, has a DOHC V8 with VVTI, 4WD and about 800 extra pounds of raw materials, all of which are more expensive to produce than the inexpensive FWD and SOHC V6 engines in Acura vehicles. Doesn't the RDX have a 5 speed Auto?

Plus, retuning the turbo to make 220 ft-lb of torque is a software-only change, with little cost, and is probably desireable for handling, market positioning, and fuel economy reasons. The price points of the TSX/TL/RL/MDX and so forth have little correlation to the transmissions, or the engines for that matter. You are talking about a differences of one or two hundred dollars at most between the TSX auto and the TL auto.

If Acura actually does this, it will even surprise the readers of this board to boot, who collectively don't think Acura has the guts to do anything that is remotely risky.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Base Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2008 17:11
coldbivy wrote:
Why do you think it would cost that much money? Also, why do you think the 5AT and 6MT are the same transmissions that are in the current TSX? Do the order forms have part numbers?

Honda has a 6MT that can already handle 250 ft-lb of torque. It, or a similar one, has been used in the TL-S and Accord V6 MT6 (note how much the Accord MT6 costs--with V6). Is this transmission actually different from the MT6 in the TSX? Or is the clutch the only difference?

If Acura actually does this, it will even surprise the readers of this board to boot, who collectively don't think Acura has the guts to do anything that is remotely risky.

I don't pretend to know the part numbers of these things and no, the order sheet does not go into any details. I said they could use the TLS tranny. (did you know that this is a different tranny from the RL on which it's based?)

The thing some people never realize (this is not directed any anyone in particular) is that everything costs money. Honda really sweats these details (all bow to the efficiency god).

Every change you make has large ramifications on a production line scale. Not just for the cost of the part itself, but also (projected) warranty costs and supply costs. If you design a new cupholder for an Acura instead of reusing a Honda cupholder, you need to now manufacture and supply parts for (something like) 10 years past production date. If you have a (relatively) low volume car like the TSX this is added cost.

You can re-tune the K23 with relatively small cost, but now you have to re-certify it with the EPA (again, additional testing costs).

I'm not saying you're not right, and I'm not saying it's not possible. We will just have to wait and see. Also if you think I'm trying to pick a fight, I'm not. This is a discussion board and I'm discussing in what, I hope, is a conversational tone.

Carmissimo
Profile for Carmissimo
Re: Base Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2008 18:31
Colin wrote:
coldbivy wrote:

I don't pretend to know the part numbers of these things and no, the order sheet does not go into any details. I said they could use the TLS tranny. (did you know that this is a different tranny from the RL on which it's based?)

The thing some people never realize (this is not directed any anyone in particular) is that everything costs money. Honda really sweats these details (all bow to the efficiency god).

Every change you make has large ramifications on a production line scale. Not just for the cost of the part itself, but also (projected) warranty costs and supply costs. If you design a new cupholder for an Acura instead of reusing a Honda cupholder, you need to now manufacture and supply parts for (something like) 10 years past production date. If you have a (relatively) low volume car like the TSX this is added cost.

You can re-tune the K23 with relatively small cost, but now you have to re-certify it with the EPA (again, additional testing costs).

I'm not saying you're not right, and I'm not saying it's not possible. We will just have to wait and see. Also if you think I'm trying to pick a fight, I'm not. This is a discussion board and I'm discussing in what, I hope, is a conversational tone.

Honda might be saying they want Acura products to stand apart from Honda but that just doesn't jive with using the Euro/Asian Accord as the basis for an Acura model.

The only way Honda could have a product that stands apart is to develop seperate platforms, much as the IS250 is using a RWD platform not found on Toyota products on these shores. Ditto the G35.

To, on the one hand, heavily base a car on a version of the Accord and then on the other try to suggest that it's not a related product is just not going to fly. Honestly, I don't imagine most buyers care if the motor in their car is turbocharged or not. They want to get behind the wheel and enjoy the experience.

Whether Honda likes it or not, bang-for-the-buck is the one trump card it has to play with in going up against the other luxury brands. That advantage is lost if they create separate products to the extent needed to shed the image of Acura as an upscale variant of Honda.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but I really do think the basic formula for the base TSX will be unchanged. It will be a well-equiped Euro Accord. That's not a bad thing.

I could see a Type S with turbo power and other enhancements but the base car will be a FWD 4. That's the TSX form factor and it's not changing this time around, from what I can determine.

coldbivy
Profile for coldbivy
Re: Base Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2008 19:07
Colin wrote:
coldbivy wrote:

Colin,

I didn't think that at all. I was just wondering how you came to that conclusion. I know I asked a lot of questions. Those questions weren't meant as challenges. I thought maybe you had more info on the trannies or could fill in your train of thought.

I understand your statement about everything costing money, and I know Honda's history of cost controls. However, I also know that other companies manage to do similar things at similar price points. The RDX, TL, and Accord trannies are already available and could be used. I suspect that mating one of their existing manual transmissions to the K23T wouldn't be that difficult, especially if SH-AWD is not involved. In fact, we don't know for sure that the MT6 in the TSX cannot handle more torque than the K24 produces.

coldbivy
Profile for coldbivy
Re: Base Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2008 19:21
Carmissimo wrote:
Colin wrote:
coldbivy wrote:

Honda might be saying they want Acura products to stand apart from Honda but that just doesn't jive with using the Euro/Asian Accord as the basis for an Acura model.

The only way Honda could have a product that stands apart is to develop seperate platforms, much as the IS250 is using a RWD platform not found on Toyota products on these shores. Ditto the G35.

To, on the one hand, heavily base a car on a version of the Accord and then on the other try to suggest that it's not a related product is just not going to fly. Honestly, I don't imagine most buyers care if the motor in their car is turbocharged or not. They want to get behind the wheel and enjoy the experience.

Whether Honda likes it or not, bang-for-the-buck is the one trump card it has to play with in going up against the other luxury brands. That advantage is lost if they create separate products to the extent needed to shed the image of Acura as an upscale variant of Honda.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but I really do think the basic formula for the base TSX will be unchanged. It will be a well-equiped Euro Accord. That's not a bad thing.

I could see a Type S with turbo power and other enhancements but the base car will be a FWD 4. That's the TSX form factor and it's not changing this time around, from what I can determine.

I expect that you are right, but I'm still hoping that Acura will surprise us. I'm trying to think of various ways Acura could do it and I've only come up with a couple.

If they don't surprise in some way, then Tier 1 will be pretty hard to justify. I like our TSX a lot, but it really is a slightly smaller, top trim Accord, which isn't a bad thing, but doesn't really separate it from the Honda line in too many ways.

With more trim selections, it could be sold on the Honda lot right between the Civic and the NA Accord.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Base Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2008 20:40
coldbivy wrote:
Colin,

I didn't think that at all. I was just wondering how you came to that conclusion. I know I asked a lot of questions. Those questions weren't meant as challenges. I thought maybe you had more info on the trannies or could fill in your train of thought.

I understand your statement about everything costing money, and I know Honda's history of cost controls. However, I also know that other companies manage to do similar things at similar price points.

Hey no problem, I just wanted to be sure that I didn't show up to a fight without a flamethrower and my nomex underwear.

My thoughts are based on the fact that Honda will likely be production limited on the next TSX. Probably around 40K units per year. Based on this, I don't think they'll spend more money than they need to if they are going to sell the entire year's production anyway. To put it another way, if you can sell 40k cars at a cost of 25,000 or sell the same 40k cars at a cost of 27,000 would you spend the extra 2000?

As far as other companies and how they allocate funds, i don't think you can find someone that offers a unique drivetrain at this production volume and at this price. Honda can't either and so they must use the Accord parts bin to make this possible.

On a recent Autoline Detroit they were talking about the most profitable companies, and Honda toped the list. They were also near the top in money spent on R&D (on a per car sold basis). Honda is incredibly diverse but there are certain principals that are ingrained in every executive in Japan that don't appear to be changing anytime soon.

AK
Profile for AK
Re: Base Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2008 00:35
I certainly hope Acura does something more in the base TSX than 200HP. That's the same car I have now...

Honda accord EX is 200HP
Lexus IS250 is 204HP
BMW 328 is 230HP

But based on the above, 220HP in a normal 4 cyc would be ok (from Acura's POV).

Krod301
Profile for Krod301
Re: Base Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2008 01:05
Anywhere between 220 - 230hp should be fine for the base TSX. The TSX type S should have the base engine of the next TL, 260 - 270hp.

That'll be fun!

DCPattie
Profile for DCPattie
Re: Base Engine - Fuel Economy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2008 11:01
How about fuel economy for the base model? Considering it will be a 4 banger and FWD at the start (if the rumors are true), it should be fairly good. The 08 gets 20/28 with the new EPA rating system. I would like to see at least this level with the new model, regardless of the performance increases. If we can get 230 HP, 200 ft-lbs and 22/30 MPG, the 09 TSX will be on my short list.

How will the turbo effect fuel economy?

Image these numbers on the wagon/touring version, now that would be my dream car. Please Honda/Acura bring over the wagon!

Dave in VA

AK
Profile for AK
Re: Base Engine - Fuel Economy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2008 21:30
Well, I have the 04 TSX which is supposedly 190HP (not 200).
I get 23.5 MPG consistently driving to work, avg speed 33MPH, some city, some highway. BTW, my peak MPG over a 4 hour drive at 60mph was 37 mpg. (on 60 mph cruise control)

So now you want 40 more HP and more torque and expect 22/30?
That will be tough. The HP/MPG issue is a problem. Ie the inverse relationship between the 2.

What they really need is some electric 'turbo' boost mode, that uses stored electric power from batteries via an electric motor to give us a 60 sec boost of HP whenever we floor it. The idea being it doesn't burn gas for that extra 'oomph' when we need it. It would also make faster 0-60 times, help in passing etc.

I know the lawyers would flip out at the idea, of "power dropping off" and some family runs into an 18 wheeler they were trying to pass.

SonyFever
Profile for SonyFever
Re: Base Engine - Fuel Economy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2008 04:46
I too feel the number people talked about are too optimistic, unless Acura goes K23 turbo.

For K24, the only realistic way (I can think of at least..) to see a 10-20 HP increase is to run a very hot cam (from oem standard). This might still be do-able if Acura chooses to chase the number, but there is not much Acura can do to bring more torque to the K24. It's pretty much confirmed that A-VTEC is delayed so if Acura sticks with N/A I4 format I don't see a lot of room for improvement on either fuel economy or power output numbers.

So if Acura must offer I-4 as the base model, the best choice is to go the K23 Turbo route. Maybe not exactly the same unit like that on RDX with some tuning to better suit TSX's characters.

Of course there are a couple of other choices: 1) Make the new car much lighter, but this is not going to happen from recent industry trend. 2) 6AT automatic will help the power delivery to some degree, but it has been confirmed that the new car will only have 5AT.

AK
Profile for AK
Re: Base Engine - Fuel Economy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2008 23:35
If it makes 220HP, it wont mean much if the weight increases.

Judging by the past, they really dont care much for weight reduction and it will go up as the size does.

That would make it under-powered again. A low torque 4 cyc pulling around an Accord/TL sized car. (presuming it grows to near that size)

coldbivy
Profile for coldbivy
Re: Base Engine - Fuel Economy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2008 12:48
Just a rumor, but Car and Driver is "guessing" that it'll have the K23T.

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/14576/2009-acura-tsxeuropean-honda-accord.html

DCPattie
Profile for DCPattie
Re: Base Engine - Fuel Economy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2008 13:13
Hopefully the powerplant will differ greatly from the euro accord, which btw, we learned today will have 200 hp and 173 ft-lb. Maybe the stock 09 TSX will only have about 210 hp and 173 ft-lb? This would be a huge let down!

Dave in VA

Krod301
Profile for Krod301
Re: Base Engine - Fuel Economy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2008 15:48
DCPattie wrote:
Hopefully the powerplant will differ greatly from the euro accord, which btw, we learned today will have 200 hp and 173 ft-lb. Maybe the stock 09 TSX will only have about 210 hp and 173 ft-lb? This would be a huge let down!

Dave in VA

You know what, it probably will come out with the same K24 but show us 210-215hp. If you think about it, that would leave room for the Type S to get the K23T and get the 260 out of that.

Question, why don't they turbo the K24 instead of a using the 2.3l?

AK
Profile for AK
Re: Base Engine - Fuel Economy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2008 22:16
A 5 HP increase... that's supposed to compete with BMW and LExus for the next 5 years?

I hope they do around 220HP to keep it respectable.

Of course gas is expensive, so they have to think about that. If u want HP, get a TL-S. They make that car for you....

Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: Base Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2008 00:53
My hunch is that you'll see the current engine carried over for the first MY and the diesel and A-VTEC engines introduced next year.

(Note: Pure conjecture)

coldbivy
Profile for coldbivy
Re: Base Engine - Fuel Economy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2008 12:26
AK wrote:
A 5 HP increase... that's supposed to compete with BMW and LExus for the next 5 years?

Of course gas is expensive, so they have to think about that. If u want HP, get a TL-S. They make that car for you....

This only works if you'r 40+ and want a size LARGE car.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Base Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2008 13:21
Power Of Dreams wrote:
My hunch is that you'll see the current engine carried over for the first MY and the diesel and A-VTEC engines introduced next year.

(Note: Pure conjecture)

That would be a sound strategy and one the BMW uses all the time. The new design will sell out the first year of production without the need for a new engine. They can bring out new engines as needed during the product lifecycle.

Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: Base Engine - Fuel Economy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2008 14:03
AK wrote:

Quite frankly, even the current TSX has plenty of motor for day to day motoring. Yeah, more power could be more fun, but that's a slippery slope.

Personally, I would be content the current K24 with a FWD drivetrain, LSD and steeeeeeep sixth gear for better MPG. As it is I stay in sixth gear quite a bit during my daily commute.

For me, that would be preferable to a K23T with AWD- UNLESS Honda can combine direct injection and a turbo to get some amazing fuel economy, which from a technological standpoint is not out of the question.

aznstuart
Profile for aznstuart
Re: Base Engine - Fuel Economy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2008 17:22
I think these engines are only for the regular Accords. The EuroR will probably get the TSX base engine which will be making around 220-230hp NA later this year or next year.
chuchurocket
Profile for chuchurocket
Re: Base Engine - Fuel Economy?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2008 18:04
aznstuart wrote:
I think these engines are only for the regular Accords. The EuroR will probably get the TSX base engine which will be making around 220-230hp NA later this year or next year.

the euro-R always used the integra(RSX)-R engine which is smaller but has more power than the tsx's 2,4L, no accord/tsx had ever shared engine with the euro-R

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0