[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
Pilot --> Anybody towing with 9AT Pilot or Odysseys?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: All-New Cadillac 2019 XT4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: First Ford, now Nissan dropping Sedans
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Interesting take on the "Camaro Crisis"
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 video with Jon Ikeda
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Custom Subwoofer Enclosure
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indycar - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 1993 6 sp Acura Legend Coupe
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Something I've always wondered about batteries in hybrids
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> North American Vehicle Semifinalists
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Singapore Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: More neat links on H2 status
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > i-DTEC to be seen first in TSX. 2.3 Turbo still in the cards for '09 TSX? > > Re: Worried........

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Worried........ [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2008 17:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
As I have harangued around here, I'm less than pleased with the RDX's turbo engine, compared to other Honda powerplants it seems less than refined, still has lag and I absolutely abhor that it runs out of steam well before redline. The off-on-off power delivery simply SUCKS for us vtec fans. If the TSX is going to be graced with that powerplant I sure hope they rework it EXTENSIVELY.
I also wonder how they plan to get the intercooler's air induction to work within the sytle constraint of the car, the RDX's double grill arrangement is particularly ugly.

NickDC5
Profile for NickDC5
Re: Worried........ [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2008 18:53
When I test drove an RDX I was pretty pleased with the engine itself, just not the management. Another big issue is the automatic transmission. That makes it feel a lot squishier than it really is. Even an n/a K-series is going to feel a bit bleh without a manual. I'm sure the engine can take much more than it's being given, and the reflash for the RDX showed typical gains for a factory turbocharged engine (ie. great gains). I'd imagine Honda can fine-tune the K23 to get some more out of it, but really change its delivery of power. There's no doubt that the engine can handle more than Honda's coaxing out of it.

As for mounting an intercooler, there's the option of functional hood vents, or even going for a side-mounted intercooler and ducting air accordingly. Of course, if you want to re-arrange the intercooler from being a small top-mount, then you're going to get more of that turbo lag you don't enjoy... same goes with getting more power. Turbocharged cars are often double-edged swords. The same goes for just about anything in the car world, sadly. :(

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Worried........ [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2008 20:47
6SPDTL wrote:
As I have harangued around here, I'm less than pleased with the RDX's turbo engine, compared to other Honda powerplants it seems less than refined, still has lag and I absolutely abhor that it runs out of steam well before redline. The off-on-off power delivery simply SUCKS for us vtec fans. If the TSX is going to be graced with that powerplant I sure hope they rework it EXTENSIVELY.
I also wonder how they plan to get the intercooler's air induction to work within the sytle constraint of the car, the RDX's double grill arrangement is particularly ugly.

Don't get me wrong, I have had plenty of Honda's that were only powerful on top and it was fun for sure, but what is wrong with strong low end grunt with less top end? Drive a Mazdaspeed 3 (which has almost no power near the redline) and tell me that the car isn't amazing. Short of being in 6th gear at 20mph, there is not a time in any gear when you cannot just stomp the throttle and get INSTANT performance. The Mazdaspeed 3 and Mazdaspeed 6 both have little to no distinguishable lag, at least in my experiences driving them.

You talk about on-and-off power as if Honda engines aren't the worst in the world about on-and-off power. Every 4 banger Honda has to be revved out of this world to get to it's power. If you happen to shift gears and drop out of the rev power range, you are done (I'm looking at you 98 Prelude SH, where ever you are now).

King77
Profile for King77
Re: Worried........ [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-23-2008 04:20
NO, Mazda 3 MPS is far from being amazing. Maybe for straight line performance, but thats all. But Turbo engines are not globally bad, Volkswagen/Audis 2.0 TFSi is very naice one for example. But back to Acura. I think the biggest problem for TSX Turbo is which car can it compete? BMW, Audi and Merc all have naturally aspirated V6 (or V8), only cars like Volvo and Saab have R4/R5 turbo engines. So, why Acura goes against the trend again? Yes, R4 Turbo has also advantage in low weight, it is important by FWD car, but people who driven Acco Coupe V6 say it is not hard on nose and understeer. So here is a question: What about TSXes competition? And, one more question: Why Turbo by premioum sports sedan, where V6 are common and not in small cars in Europe? There is a trend making small turbos 1.4 and 1.6. What makes Honda? Naturally asp. 1.8. Why Honda make ALL THINGS against trends?
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Worried........ [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-23-2008 11:49
Not entirely true;

M-B sell a lot of 200K/230K engines over here. Audi have a 1.8T & 2.0T. If they're not diesels.

V6s sell in quite small numbers.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0