[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: iOS 11 breaks just about all Bluetooth Functionality, 2013-15 Accord—** UPDATE **
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > 2008 Should be a Happy New Year for Honda and Acura > > Re: 2009 TL Transmission

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

osaze
Profile for osaze
2009 TL Transmission [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2008 02:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
In the interest of fuel ecomony and keeping in step with offering technology that truly delivers value to the discriminating consumer, it behooves Acura to include the DSG or DCT transmission in six gear ratios in the '09 TL. This would be the right thing to do. Also, Edmunds is reporting that the next TL will get the DSG 6 speed. This plus, SH-AWD will make the next TL all the hoot.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2009 TL Transmission [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2008 05:40
So long as Honda can make it reliable, where the Europeans have failed.

I still think a CVT is the way forward.

RayChuang
Profile for RayChuang
Re: 2009 TL Transmission [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2008 09:03
If I remember correctly, didn't Honda patent some advanced conventional 6AT transmission designs in the past few years? The new Acura TL could be among the first cars to get a new 6AT unit (based on these patents) that would withstand the power of the V6 engine the TL will likely use; that same 6AT could be the basis of the transmission that will be used on the V6 turbodiesel drivetrain coming within the next two years.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2009 TL Transmission [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2008 12:17
Think they bought licences to the Antonov and another system?

No news as yet, but teh Antonov is a bit crude for 1st world markets.

osaze
Profile for osaze
Re: 2009 TL Transmission [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2008 15:18
Nick Graves wrote:

I read somewhere that CVTs cannot handle high-torque loads, hence the reason they are not suited to high performace applications. DSG is best at handling high torqque loads and transmitting power to the wheels without disruption, hence the best fit for performance minded Acura. The magic will be in how Acura calibrates DSG to SH-AWD to meet the performance expectations of the new TL.

Wizard
Profile for Wizard
Re: 2009 TL Transmission [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2008 14:10
Which would also explain that while Nissan has used CVT in its mainstream lineup, Infiniti still gets 5AT (no CVT).
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2009 TL Transmission [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2008 14:27
osaze wrote:
Nick Graves wrote:

I read somewhere that CVTs cannot handle high-torque loads, hence the reason they are not suited to high performace applications. DSG is best at handling high torqque loads and transmitting power to the wheels without disruption, hence the best fit for performance minded Acura. The magic will be in how Acura calibrates DSG to SH-AWD to meet the performance expectations of the new TL.

That was originally my understanding, but perhaps you should tell that to Audi! They now use a very compact CVT inline.

Their fake VW-clone models use a VW DSG because they're transverse-engined. The 'box is sometimes troublesome & very heavy.

Wizard
Profile for Wizard
Re: 2009 TL Transmission [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-05-2008 02:28
Nick Graves wrote:
osaze wrote:
Nick Graves wrote:

That was originally my understanding, but perhaps you should tell that to Audi! They now use a very compact CVT inline.

Their fake VW-clone models use a VW DSG because they're transverse-engined. The 'box is sometimes troublesome & very heavy.

Audi isn't offering CVT with V6 models, only on base models. Nissan's Xtronic is good at handling torque but still limited. How else would you explain Nissan Altima having a CVT but Infiniti G35 and above continue with 5-speed auto?

klui_188
Profile for klui_188
Re: 2009 TL Transmission [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-05-2008 09:50
In reference to your mentioning of Antonov I did some google search and found the following:

"Toyota prepared to try to get the Antonov patents cancelled elsewhere if Antonov tries to enforce them..."

Here's the Wikipedia link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

Look for the Controversy section...

If what the article says is true it's pretty sad that big corporations can financially crush small guys and influence the judiciary process just because they have to money to do so... =( I do hope that Antonov will finally get what they rightfully deserve (if what they claim is true) and that Honda can make the best use of the Anotonov patent they license from...

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2009 TL Transmission [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-05-2008 12:54
Wizard wrote:
Nick Graves wrote:
osaze wrote:
Nick Graves wrote:

Audi isn't offering CVT with V6 models, only on base models. Nissan's Xtronic is good at handling torque but still limited. How else would you explain Nissan Altima having a CVT but Infiniti G35 and above continue with 5-speed auto?

1. They do; it will take up to 230 lb ft:

http://www.caranddriver.com/longroadtests/6861/audi-a4-30-cvt.html

2. Dunno; Nissan's decision coule be based on posh buyer preferences or product cycles, as easily as torque capacity.

But this is Honda torque, not Caterpillar corporation!

osaze
Profile for osaze
Re: 2009 TL Transmission [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2008 17:08
Nick Graves wrote:
Wizard wrote:
Nick Graves wrote:
osaze wrote:
Nick Graves wrote:

1. They do; it will take up to 230 lb ft:

http://www.caranddriver.com/longroadtests/6861/audi-a4-30-cvt.html

2. Dunno; Nissan's decision coule be based on posh buyer preferences or product cycles, as easily as torque capacity.

But this is Honda torque, not Caterpillar corporation!

A dual clutch automated manual is the way to go and will be the next big thing in transmissions within a few years. I'm sure hoping that Honda applies it to upcoming TL.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2009 TL Transmission [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2008 14:32
Probably true, but it doesn't mean it's not an inferior system!

Now, if the British Hobbs twin-clutch four-speed epicyclic auto had been further developed, things might be different.

Only Borgward was brave enough to try it, with excellent results. But they went bust under controversial circumstances and the rest is history.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2009 TL Transmission [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2008 14:33
Actually, Borgward was also messing about with a form of A-VTEC in the 1950s, as an aside!

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0