[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
General Talk --> Re: Honda new teaser ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Supra may get 4cyl
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Assen TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: My next car?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Zak Brown: 2018 McLaren ‘weaker than last year’s car’
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type-R Fascia Changes spotted at Nurburgring
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Great lightning deal on Anker ROAV C1 Pro (2k resolution) dashcam - $75
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > First Dyno Test of 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 5AT > > Re: Not very impressive

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Not very impressive [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-12-2007 14:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I thought that it would turn results similar to the RL's or TL type S, its not even close. However, it is to be noted that this engine is very environmentaly friendly, in that light, I guess its very good. The Dyno shows the compromises of power and environmental stewardship. Just wait till the diesel shows up with a dyno that shows 350lbs of torque at 2500 RPMS and 200 HP at the 4000RPM redline! The VTEC faithful will have a heart attack! Unfortunately, the era of our dear ultra high rev gas engines and ever bigger power is on its way out, for all but a few models. The name of the game in the next decade will be higher milage and fewer emmisions. It will be similar to the change we saw in the 70's but this time the changes will be permanent. My suggestion is for those of you that cherish our classic Honda engines to go out and buy your s2000's now since they will be the last of the ultra high performance VTEC gas engines.
mobomofo
Profile for mobomofo
Re: Not very impressive [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-12-2007 16:45
This is because it's the automatic with the VCM. Stick the 6spd coupe on the dyno and THEN tell me it's not impressive :)
rancho1
Profile for rancho1
Re: Not very impressive [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2007 17:34
mobomofo wrote:
This is because it's the automatic with the VCM. Stick the 6spd coupe on the dyno and THEN tell me it's not impressive :)

What does VCM have to do with anything? Isn't VCM only supposed to kick in only in light cruising when you don't need all 6 cylinders to maintain your speed?
Honda should have put a sport shifter in the automatic so you can hold a gear if you want to (such as on a mild-moderate hill).

So disappointing that performance on this bigger and more complex engine is not better than the old engine. Makes people want to run out and buy a new 2007 while they can still do it.

The most dramatic improvement of the 2008s is that the coupe version's styling looks much better than the old coupe.
Sedans looks are debatable.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Not very impressive [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2007 18:25
If I recall, there were only rumours of an I4 Diesel (N22) to be used in the Accord. That will NOT get you 350 lb. ft of torque and 200 hp. In fact, even if you had those numbers, diesels don't feel like that because they're slow revving and heavy.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Not very impressive [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2007 19:54
mobomofo wrote:

We are talking wheel HP here. a 25% loss is less then normal. My 65 Chryslers engine on a stand pulled 350 big ones and 370 tq. The wheel HP is a mear 260 and tq is 250.

The trans and drive shafts take lots of power away. The more gears the less power goes to the wheels. At least that is what has been told to me as long as I can remember.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Not very impressive [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-14-2007 16:56
It should also be noted that with only 500 miles on the engine, it most likely has a fair bit of loosening up to do.

All of the J series we have owned seemed to loosen up all the way to about 3,000-6,000 miles.

It still put down noticably more power and torque than the 2003, but most likely had some breaking in to do. That could potentially account for 10 or so more whp. Maybe more.

Also, with the way VCM works, it doesn't boost the low end as much as the old VTEC system which is still used in the coupe 6 speed, so the powerband may not be as broad. Unfortunately, without a way to keep the auto tranny from kicking down, it will be almost impossible to compare, coupe 6MT to VCM 5AT.

shingles
Profile for shingles
Re: Not very impressive [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-15-2007 08:11
6SPDTL wrote:
...My suggestion is for those of you that cherish our classic Honda engines to go out and buy your s2000's now since they will be the last of the ultra high performance VTEC gas engines.

I am not sure the news is all that bad... I have an S2000(AP1) and I also just picked up a Civic Si sedan for daily driving duties. Let me tell you, the K20Z3 is a very very nice piece of work. Infact I drove the two cars back to back Saturday... the Z3 has a lot more useful torque in the mid range that it makes a much better daily driver. While the z3 doesn't rev to 9k and does give some up on the top end (compared to the F20C), the engine pulls hard, is smooth, and sounds fantastic. All is not lost yet... the Civic Si is a FANTASTIC package.

-S

6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Not very impressive [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-15-2007 14:53
I just bought an AP2. It pulls much stronger than the Si at all RPMS. I have never driven an AP1. The Si feels like a "regular" civic at low RPM with a vtec "swan song" at the higher end. Owning an AP2 I'm a little mystified by the old all or nothing stories of the AP1 s2000. The AP2 has a very linear power delivery, when it goes "on the cam" it just feels more urgent. The car pulls vigorously over 3K. In city driving you can essentially drive the car all day in 3rd and fourth except from a stop. BTW my diesel specs were pure conjecture ;)

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0