[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Anybody towing with 9AT Pilot or Odysseys?
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Bluetooth & Google Maps Voice Volume
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Honda Passport begins Production
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Audi e-tron GT Concept
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Halo Here To Stay In F1
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> UPDATE - repair complete Re: aftermarket door lock actuators. Experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Wow, THIS design is rather out there
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Truly LAME AHM website
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > S2000 CR On-sale Date Pushed Back to 6 October > > Re: Remind my whats the Point of this car???

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Demitri434
Profile for Demitri434
Remind my whats the Point of this car??? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-19-2007 11:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I don't get it is there really a point to this car??? Why not just release a Type-R or get on with it. Really the S2000 needs some updating just a bit. It is getting on in years. But I guess that is typical Honda. Make something great and then leave it to rot. I know this has been said before but really???
-Alex

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Remind my whats the Point of this car??? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-19-2007 11:50
Not just been said before, at this point you're just beating a dead horse.

The whole point of the S2K CR could be found in it's initials: "Club Racer". It's an excellent starting point if you want to get into AutoX's and Amateur Racing. In stock form it's already much faster than the base S2K (2 seconds fasteron the Suzuka circuit IIRC... which is definitely nothing to sneeze at). It doesn't need "updating", it needs a replacement- Honda originally meant the S2K as a limited 3 year run vehicle to celebrate it's 50th anniversary: nobody expected it to sell so well and be this good and Honda didn't have a followup plan.

A Type-R is a completely different animal and requires extensive rebuilding of the car, right down to Chassis welding. You can't just "release a Type-R and get on with it".

roninsi02
Profile for roninsi02
Re: Remind my whats the Point of this car??? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-19-2007 23:52
But you cant really create a S2000 and leave it to rot without a plan. If they cant afford to spend more money on updating the sports car ALA Porsche BMW etc why bother releasing it in the first place? Its laziness on Hondas part. If they are so strapped for cash why commit to a dismal F-1 program a walking robot and an airplane?

If the S2000 was made to similute thier racing heritage its working. Great program ages ago but hardly an effort now.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Remind my whats the Point of this car??? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-20-2007 05:37
Except that it's still a unique propostion in its class and far more exciting to drive than its alleged rivals.

If you are the sort of person who desperately needs annual styling fiddles and big wheels to feel more adequate, there are planty of manufacturers who will give you that.

You will almost certainly miss the point of the S2000, anyway.

Coupe
Profile for Coupe
Re: Remind my whats the Point of this car??? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-20-2007 13:03
roninsi02 wrote:
But you cant really create a S2000 and leave it to rot without a plan. If they cant afford to spend more money on updating the sports car ALA Porsche BMW etc why bother releasing it in the first place? Its laziness on Hondas part. If they are so strapped for cash why commit to a dismal F-1 program a walking robot and an airplane?

If the S2000 was made to similute thier racing heritage its working. Great program ages ago but hardly an effort now.

Harsh and unnecessary my good man. Calling Honda an emotional comment like lazy is really uncalled for!

I think the s2000 is a great automobile to this day for what it was made for. Also I do believe that the Acura NSX remake might be first priority and the new s2000 will be based off that.

Can't you think that since this vehicle was such a surprising success, they are putting years and years of work into making the next atleast live up to what this one was?

Can't we believe in Honda instead of just criticizing?

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Remind my whats the Point of this car??? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-20-2007 14:39
As I said,

"Honda originally meant the S2K as a limited 3 year run vehicle to celebrate it's 50th anniversary: nobody expected it to sell so well and be this good and Honda didn't have a followup plan. "

I was actually very surprised myself, but I guess everyone became spoiled with how good the S2K was and wanted a followup. Maybe for the 60th Anniversary they'll come out with another one =)

Keep in mind that compared to other sports cars, the S2000 is still a benchmark when it comes to performance and entertainment. The car is simply incredible- obviously when it first came out it shocked everybody by encompassing everything that was Honda (like how the original NSX shocked everybody). It's really a testament that Honda could keep in production for 8 years and people are still awed by it's abilities (although the Lotus Elise is arguably far more hardcore... the S2K actually works somewhat as a daily driver). When my coworker took me on a track day session in his S2K (at a Ford SVT track day at Mosport International, strangely), I was amazed... it's almost as fun to ride around a track as a motorcycle (which is saying a lot).

I agree that there should be a replacement... however, I don't really want an "update", I want an entirely new vehicle. And as with the original S2K, I'd ideally like it to celebrate Honda's 60th or some other important event. I honestly don't mind waiting 8-10 years, AS LONG AS THE VEHICLE IS COMPLETELY REDESIGNED, not just random fiddling with the engine displacement. I wasn't impressed with Honda leaving the NSX alone for 14 some odd years; they should have killed it when it was 10 years old and/or came out with a new one. The S2K hasn't suffered the same kind of negligence and I don't anticipate Honda doing so.

roninsi02
Profile for roninsi02
Re: Remind my whats the Point of this car??? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-20-2007 14:50
I would like to see it become much like Porsches 911. Constantly improving itself, adding power and improving the interior which IMO is the weakest point of the car. It squeaks and rattles like a ford. (There isnt a bloody button to open the door!)

Id just like to see the S2000 become and even better car. Its very un-Hondalike to say the potential of the engine is maxed out from the factory and there arent any ways to improve it. If we believe that, then we dont beleive in Honda. Honda always finds a way if they choose to do so.

About the lazy comment it is true. If they so wished to make the car that much better they could easily. S2000 is just following the horrible path that the NSX went down.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Remind my whats the Point of this car??? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2007 09:09
CarPhreakD wrote:
As I said,

"Honda originally meant the S2K as a limited 3 year run vehicle to celebrate it's 50th anniversary: nobody expected it to sell so well and be this good and Honda didn't have a followup plan. "

I was actually very surprised myself, but I guess everyone became spoiled with how good the S2K was and wanted a followup. Maybe for the 60th Anniversary they'll come out with another one =)

Keep in mind that compared to other sports cars, the S2000 is still a benchmark when it comes to performance and entertainment. The car is simply incredible- obviously when it first came out it shocked everybody by encompassing everything that was Honda (like how the original NSX shocked everybody). It's really a testament that Honda could keep in production for 8 years and people are still awed by it's abilities (although the Lotus Elise is arguably far more hardcore... the S2K actually works somewhat as a daily driver). When my coworker took me on a track day session in his S2K (at a Ford SVT track day at Mosport International, strangely), I was amazed... it's almost as fun to ride around a track as a motorcycle (which is saying a lot).

I agree that there should be a replacement... however, I don't really want an "update", I want an entirely new vehicle. And as with the original S2K, I'd ideally like it to celebrate Honda's 60th or some other important event. I honestly don't mind waiting 8-10 years, AS LONG AS THE VEHICLE IS COMPLETELY REDESIGNED, not just random fiddling with the engine displacement. I wasn't impressed with Honda leaving the NSX alone for 14 some odd years; they should have killed it when it was 10 years old and/or came out with a new one. The S2K hasn't suffered the same kind of negligence and I don't anticipate Honda doing so.

I'd agree with most of that.

Except, I'm not really sure what they could have done to the NSX, beyond an upgrade of the interior plastics.

The C32 was about as far as the engine could go, I believe. And the design was just so perfect.

Isn't the S5000 the 60 year 'present to itself'?

JMU R1
Profile for JMU R1
Re: Remind my whats the Point of this car??? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2007 10:25
I do think that Honda should put the S2000 on a five-year cycle so that it doesn't end up becoming an obsolete target of ridicule like the NSX did. However I don't think the lack of updates has anything to do with them being 'lazy'. Its just that they had other higher priority projects to attend to. I think their priorities might have been a little wrong though, because a halo car like the S2000 is very important for the brand.

One could compare the S2000 to the Porsche 911 but the 911 has over a half dozen variants and thus, has the volume to justify the tweaks and updates. I don't how someone could use BMW as example except to say that they generally run on a 5 year cycle. The Z4 is good but has never been as good as the S2000 and does not even have an exclusive engine the way the S2000 does. I will say though that the Z4 Coupe is an excellent idea and something Honda should have done.

Who knows what cost/benefit analysis calculations Honda has used to determine where the engineering resources get spent but I do know they need to give their sports cars more consistent love in the future. It does no good to have them rot on the vine

hprelude5r
Profile for hprelude5r
Re: Remind my whats the Point of this car??? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-22-2007 19:12
Demitri434 wrote:
I don't get it is there really a point to this car??? Why not just release a Type-R or get on with it. -Alex

What's the point of making an s2k Type R? A base s2k can whoop any Type R out there, except for the NSX-R obviously. Worse case scenario, it'd match up with the new FD Civic Type R/Mugen RR/whatever.. This CR would roast those worse case scenario.

To answer your question, this car is the final project from the father of 'Type R's. A swan song before retirement if you will.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Remind my whats the Point of this car??? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-22-2007 22:03
hprelude5r wrote:
Demitri434 wrote:
I don't get it is there really a point to this car??? Why not just release a Type-R or get on with it. -Alex

What's the point of making an s2k Type R? A base s2k can whoop any Type R out there, except for the NSX-R obviously. Worse case scenario, it'd match up with the new FD Civic Type R/Mugen RR/whatever.. This CR would roast those worse case scenario.

To answer your question, this car is the final project from the father of 'Type R's. A swan song before retirement if you will.

Er... no, actually the Honda FD2R beat the S2K in a straight race on Tsukuba. The CR might be able to keep up but I'm not too sure.