[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2009 Honda S2000 Edition 100
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> hodge·podge
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity BEV
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Red Bull Racing Confirms Gasly for 2019
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Cash incentives for the Canadian Accord?
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: CEL problems
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0 touring or TLX V6 Tech FWD
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: Honda Passport prototype caught in Los Angeles
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > TOV Road Test: Church Automotive Acura RDX > > Re: Mid range-top end

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Mid range-top end [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2007 23:34
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Ive noticed the 1/4 times for a stock RDX is pretty acceptable but the MPH is a bit low. Do the modifications make a significant difference in midrange and top end accleration? I guess Im spoiled by that Honda VTEC top end!

~LP

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Mid range-top end [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2007 00:34
If you look at the dyno plots here:

http://www.vtec.net/articles/article-image?image=687615/churchrdx_dyno.gif

...you'll see that the shape of the power and torque curve really hasn't changed much, it is just elevated higher thanks to the exhaust, timing and boost increase.

At our current power level we are pretty much maxed on the safe limits of the injectors. Additionally, the intercooler heatsoaks pretty quickly. That's why after 60-70 mph on a standing start run you don't see as big an advantage over the stock car (more air, more heat, heatsoaks sooner).

Ideally, I'd like to enlarge the injectors, spec out a bigger intercooler and maybe someday do a different turbocharger. I think the bigger intercooler (and a water sprayer) and injectors could allow us to make another 20-30 hp and keep the power up over longer pulls. Right now, the car feels really great for the first 5-6 seconds of full throttle. After that, the heatsoak begins to play a role (except at very high speeds). Fortunately, 5-6 seconds of full throttle will get you to pretty high speeds from a roll. Our early testing netted 1/4 mile traps in the 98 mph range. The current setup is detuned a touch and I think it will return a 95-96 mph run.

SC

SC

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Mid range-top end [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2007 19:27
Correct me if Im wrong but the current intercooler sits atop the engine correct? Ive always wondered why some manufacturers do this as it looks like it would soak with heat much quicker than a front mount. Im guessing the top mount is cheaper to produce and apply to the engine as there is less plumbing and it wouldnt get damaged as easy as the front mount.

Does the RDX owner have plans to do the "next stage" of modifications you listed or is this as far as he/she wants to go?

~LP

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Mid range-top end [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2007 21:11
Well, the top mount also means less response lag because there is less piping that the turbo has to pressurize. Shorter tubing, etc. also means less cost, and there is also the issue of radiator airflow with a front mount. On my turbo S2000 (410 whp), we had to work hard to keep coolant temps in check on the track because the intercooler really hurts airflow (and temp of the air) going to the radiator. Even with a huge aftermarket radiator, we still run hotter than a stock S2000 with a stock radiator.

We've pretty much paid for all the parts on this car (the owner chose the wheels and paid for them). The owner is willing to try more things, but I want to see how the current mods are received before we spec out a bigger intercooler. Furthermore, given the limitations of the hood scoop, I'm not 100% certain a bigger cooler will help as much as I'd like it to.

SC

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Mid range-top end [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-15-2007 14:28
Another question this one pertaining to the SH-AWD. I believe this system is torque sensing correct? If so does the amplified torque of this modified RDX alter (better or worsen) the performance of the SH-AWD system in any way?

~LP

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Mid range-top end [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-15-2007 20:22
Doesn't seem to. We can still spin the front tires briefly out of a corner. But now we have enough torque and front bite to bring the rears into play as well.

The real effect on the SH-AWD comes from the alignment and tires (as Jeff pointed out). You don't need as much steering angle, so there isn't as much torque biasing side to side at lower cornering levels.

SC

ipribadi
Profile for ipribadi
Re: Mid range-top end [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-19-2007 00:12
Wow .. I bet someone one of these days would be able to hack into that steering angle sensor and manipulate it to increase SH-AWD's torque vectoring.
It's proly based on some analog electrical resistance or something.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0