[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
rayyu882
Profile for rayyu882
Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2007 09:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Here is the article that Honda talked about the engine! It seems to me that our engine is quite good! We just need to work on what we are lacking (Chassis and aero).

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56119

Ray

Smap
Profile for Smap
Re: Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2007 09:25
LOL!

I posted this in the other thread too!

rayyu882
Profile for rayyu882
Re: Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2007 09:52
Didn't see that... sorry! :)

Ray

Roger1
Profile for Roger1
Re: Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2007 11:40
Misleading title. Honda never said their final spec engine was not the best.... only that it didn't dominate the others, due to how similar all of the engines are now. They emphasized that they are not behind anyone... meaning and implying that no one has a better engine (although again, everyone is much closer engine-wise than in 2004 for example).

Straight line speed is all aero. I sound like a broken record as I've been saying this a jillion times, but I'll say it again. SpykerF1 and T.R. can top the trap speeds if they just lowered their wing settings enough. But it's not top speeds that count, it's lap times.

And on the engine front, it's not rpm that counts, it's output.

HondaF
Profile for HondaF
Re: Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2007 12:27
Good points Roger1. I find Honda's comments interesting in that more often than not, its what they don't say that appears to be most revealing. They appear quitely confident in their engine for this year so perhaps that final step is especially significant in providing a slim advantage with potential for further development?
floundericiousMI
Profile for floundericiousMI
Re: Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2007 18:33
I read that... they were just trying to raise a stink with that crap-article

"SOME (who? you guys? BMW? Ferrari? Murray's chicken dinner from last night?) THINK the Honda engine was weak and that was the reason they had low top speed.....oh and the Honda senior technical management pointed out that the low top speed was because their aero package was high-drag"

Neilap
Profile for Neilap
Re: Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2007 21:42
floundericiousMI wrote:
.....oh and the Honda senior technical management pointed out that the low top speed was because their aero package was high-drag"

I think everyone here was saying that. Its nice to finally hear it from Honda. The big deal started when Hobbs would always say the "all singing and dancing" Honda motor could not out accelerate the motors of lesser teams. Back he was in love with BMW Powah!
Flounder, (if I recall correctly) put up some numbers to illustrate the fact that top speed has more to to with drag than outright power at those speeds.
Maybe we can email the article to the Speed announcers;)

WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2007 01:27

Maybe we can email the article to the Speed announcers;)

I wouldn't waste my time or energy. Such people will always have some shit to cling on to. All we need is to be patient and to wait for this year's season to start. With hopefully a win early on, it will be truly amazing how certain people will quickly just shut up ! :)

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2007 10:54
We shouldn't care what TV announcers say or think. Just watch the race and take what you want from it. After all, they are entertainers, not engineers. The Honda team knows what they needs to work on. I am sure they are all competent engineers. Hopefully the new management style along with the wind tunnel will pay off this coming season.
Neilap
Profile for Neilap
Re: Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2007 19:57
BMW also supports this "revolution"!

When Kubica was looking so amazing in Monza folks were praising the BMW powah!

Here is a quote from BMW's Motorsport Director Mario Theissen...

"We had one podium out of our own strength in 2006, which was Monza due to a superb job of the aerodynamicists. And this year we need to do that more often. That is our target.

Smap
Profile for Smap
Re: Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2007 23:02
I have to say it was annoying reading the article on F1.com and such other F1 sites, stating how the Honda engine was underpowered from the get go and slowly they have reached a competitive level, however, the engine is still far from the best! Low torque and low power!! Grrrrrr

And they praise both Ferrari and Renault for having the best engines in the field! Due to their top speeds! The reason why Ferrari and Renault have really good top speeds is due to the aero efficiency of both those two chassis.

If the Honda chassis was as efficient as those two teams then Honda would be up there as well, but alas it is not due to the excessive high drag levels.

Those "so called F1 experts" drive me insane with their ill-judged opinions and facts!

I feel better now.

/Rant

floundericiousMI
Profile for floundericiousMI
Re: Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-05-2007 00:26
I wish I could claim that I don't feel vindicated by the comments here and in the article, but I'm not quite that mature...(neener neener LOL) of course it IS nice to see Nakamoto-sama acknowledge that publicly after I added my own $0.02 a long time ago.

I think the most appropriate thing to say is "Honda's F1 designers know what is important and what is less important."

Ra005e
Profile for Ra005e
Re: Honda V8 is not THE BEST, but good enough!    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-05-2007 03:58
I couldn't agree more, especially with Roger1's comments.
Honda's F1 engines have been fighting more drag than the competition since the 2001 B-A-R. Looking back on how the Jordans were at times able to set significantly faster top speeds in '01 and '02 and still have quicker lap times says it all(I realize the 003 in particular had mechanical probs. as well)
B-A-R having only one 50% wind tunnel and for a while being the only team, top team at least, not to run their tunnel 24 hrs. a day was never gonna cut it.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0