[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Pilot --> Re: Chevy Prepping Mini-Blazer
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "Moose Test". Nissan Kicks fail
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: No more 3rd gen FC Clarity, Hello 2020 4th gen
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda Records Best-Ever November Sales > > Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

2vtecs
Profile for 2vtecs
Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2006 22:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Way to spin a bad month...but whyI don't get it. With few exceptions, ie: CRV, TSX, MDX, this was an unexceptional month for Honda. I love what Honda has done with the new Civic and I hope Honda continues to push the design envelope with innovative, sharp looking cars. However, I am afraid if Civic sales continue to slip, Honda will return to its boring designs. I have owned 3 Hondas and I purchased them primarily for the engineering(best engines), quality and relability...good looks was never part of the equation. But with Honda's new designs I now have another reason to buy Honda. Does anyone know what is causing these sharp dips in sales? Especially for the new Civic
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2006 02:44
2vtecs wrote:
Way to spin a bad month...but whyI don't get it. With few exceptions, ie: CRV, TSX, MDX, this was an unexceptional month for Honda. I love what Honda has done with the new Civic and I hope Honda continues to push the design envelope with innovative, sharp looking cars. However, I am afraid if Civic sales continue to slip, Honda will return to its boring designs. I have owned 3 Hondas and I purchased them primarily for the engineering(best engines), quality and relability...good looks was never part of the equation. But with Honda's new designs I now have another reason to buy Honda. Does anyone know what is causing these sharp dips in sales? Especially for the new Civic

You can read it here, as this topic was discussed in the Today's Reading Links Forum.

November Honda Sales - Honda NA Production detailed

It's not so difficult ot understand it... Civic production has to be down to make room for the CR-V, and therefore supply is not enough to cover demand...

I wonder how people find it so easy to think that Honda is so stupid... They just announced that they will move production of the Pilot to Alabama in order to be able to build an additionnal 60.000 Civics a year, and still people think that Civic sales are slipping... Why would Honda add production if sales were going nowhere !!!! Com'on...

IMHO
Profile for IMHO
Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2006 08:41
I don't know how people think that this is a bad month. Total sales are up. Honda's brand name is strong, resale value is among the best, percieved quality among buyers/customers ever so strong.

Yeah, there are a few vehicles that could do better. But get this, Honda is still selling more autos even when its cream and butter Accord is crawling along. 10 years ago, Honda was so dependent on the Accord and civic, and this has changed with other major additions such as the oddysey, pilot, crv, etc.

Honda might not be firing on all cylinders, but it's still cruising and increasing its sales. In a year-to-year down market, that aint bad.

2vtecs
Profile for 2vtecs
Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2006 09:01
Thank you both for responding and for the Honda production link. This makes sense why some production is sacrificed to make room for more of another. That is why I come to this site. Solid explaination, hope the big "H" continues making the best cars on the road.
VTEC of Temple
Profile for VTEC of Temple
Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2006 10:33
One problem with the Civic I am seeing is a severe lack of manual transmission cars. For example, today my area dealer has 21 Automatics (LX and EX) and 3 6-speeds (SI) in stock and they have no 5-speeds in stock. I have seen this situation all year long. Manual LX and EX cars can be harder to get than Si's.
Mattman
Profile for Mattman
Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2006 15:45
VTEC of Temple wrote:
One problem with the Civic I am seeing is a severe lack of manual transmission cars. For example, today my area dealer has 21 Automatics (LX and EX) and 3 6-speeds (SI) in stock and they have no 5-speeds in stock. I have seen this situation all year long. Manual LX and EX cars can be harder to get than Si's.
When I was shopping around, I noticed the same thing. One of the dealers I asked indicated that they only get a couple of inquiries per month about manuals and they might actually get less than that many in inventory per month. I don't get it, but most people I know just don't want to be bothered with shifting for themselves. They think it's "too much work". OTOH, I drove one of the rare EX coupe 5-speeds before I got my Si and I'll just say that it was not the best Honda transmission I've ever used, so maybe Honda's trying to push people to autos. ;)

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2006 17:59
I dunno how they could do better. If they did, the dealers wouldn't have any cars on the lot and AHM would be in a real pickle.

Like I noted earlier, we went to one of our local Honda dealers and most of the cars our front were used cars. They're simply out of most new cars.

Think, Honda is really firing up... and some of these cars are in their lame years too: Accord, TSX... the Fit and Civic are hobbled by capacity. Heck, tried to get a Fit or CNG Civic? Even the HCH's are selling well finally.

And don't forget... because the Accord is about to go into the homestretch, BIG DISCOUNTS are coming. That means that when AHM SPREADS THE LOVE over the Accord line, you're gonna see those puppies go out the door. Toyota will be forced to follow suit to keep their numbers... but historically Accord sales do very, VERY well.

Remember how the 04 Odyssey sales/leases bit big time into Sienna sales? And pretty much killed the Windstar on its tracts.

Heck, even my wife, with her inside line to deals, is interested on the current customer leases. They are very, VERY good.

Finally, note that HMC/AHM/HoE have not released a new model for almost two years now. The Fit/Jazz was a current model. After all of that money on new products they have to spend the money on new production plants too....

And just wait 'till the new Jazz is released in 09. About that time AHM should have 270K more annual capacity. Hmm.. new Accord, TL and Jazz at the same time, plus importing the new TSX... what the hell will they do with the diesel?

Time to buy HMC ADRs?

IMHO wrote:

Yeah, there are a few vehicles that could do better. But get this, Honda is still selling more autos even when its cream and butter Accord is crawling along. 10 years ago, Honda was so dependent on the Accord and civic, and this has changed with other major additions such as the oddysey, pilot, crv, etc.

Honda might not be firing on all cylinders, but it's still cruising and increasing its sales. In a year-to-year down market, that aint bad.

aznstuart
Profile for aznstuart
Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2006 19:34
Well their next plant in Indiana will only boost their production by 200,000. That will be for the new Fit and Hybrid vehicle, maybe some Civics. That still wouldn't help the current situation where the Pilot and Odyssey will be sharing 300,000 units between them. The light trucks are still stuck in lame duck, and I imagine it will only get worse with the Pilot and Accord FMC in MY08. Honda desperately need new plants...fast! The Indiana plant starts in 2008. Between now and then Honda will still be growing, but will be limited by its production capacity.

I think they should try expanding some of their plants as it is cheaper and faster than building a whole new plant from scratch. But this will only buy a few year's time. Honda really has to look into new plants for further growth. I know Honda wants to grow "slow and steady," but this is too slow. Honda is missing a lot of sales opportunities and customers because of lack of products in dealerships.

I think Fukui mentioned the plant in Mexico that building 30k Accords a year could be expanded.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2006 21:24
aznstuart wrote:
Well their next plant in Indiana will only boost their production by 200,000. That will be for the new Fit and Hybrid vehicle, maybe some Civics. That still wouldn't help the current situation where the Pilot and Odyssey will be sharing 300,000 units between them. The light trucks are still stuck in lame duck, and I imagine it will only get worse with the Pilot and Accord FMC in MY08. Honda desperately need new plants...fast! The Indiana plant starts in 2008. Between now and then Honda will still be growing, but will be limited by its production capacity.

I think they should try expanding some of their plants as it is cheaper and faster than building a whole new plant from scratch. But this will only buy a few year's time. Honda really has to look into new plants for further growth. I know Honda wants to grow "slow and steady," but this is too slow. Honda is missing a lot of sales opportunities and customers because of lack of products in dealerships.

I think Fukui mentioned the plant in Mexico that building 30k Accords a year could be expanded.

As far as I know, Honda have not said anywhere where are they going to build the next hybrid, but I would be interested if you can find where did you read that info about Indiana. I would still be surprised if the Hybrid production makes it out of Japan.

To me, the +200K from Indiana will be entirelly for NA and no-hybrid. You'll have to mix the thing within Civic, CR-V, Accord and Fit. Still, Fit can be imported from many different markets. Current Euro-Fit (Jazz) are imported from both Japan and China. But the Fit is also built in Brazil in America.

Still, Honda has also decided to expand production in Japan by another 200.000 units, some of which could be dedicated to additionnal exports to the US, because for sure Japanese Honda sales won't improve 200K before 2010.

Jonavin
Profile for Jonavin
Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2006 22:37
danielgr wrote:
As far as I know, Honda have not said anywhere where are they going to build the next hybrid, but I would be interested if you can find where did you read that info about Indiana. I would still be surprised if the Hybrid production makes it out of Japan.

To me, the +200K from Indiana will be entirelly for NA and no-hybrid. You'll have to mix the thing within Civic, CR-V, Accord and Fit. Still, Fit can be imported from many different markets. Current Euro-Fit (Jazz) are imported from both Japan and China. But the Fit is also built in Brazil in America.

Still, Honda has also decided to expand production in Japan by another 200.000 units, some of which could be dedicated to additionnal exports to the US, because for sure Japanese Honda sales won't improve 200K before 2010.

I think I've read that the new Indiana plant was going to be building the new Hybrid and next gen Fit.

VTEC of Temple
Profile for VTEC of Temple
Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2006 09:52
I couldn't find anything more official than Honda's CFO saying it will build a 4 cylinder vehicle:
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/business/business.php?story=224580

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2006 12:21
I thought they mentioned that the Alabama plant is going to add a third shift to account for the Pilot production (60K/year).

IMHO, AHM should keep the Pilot homely, otherwise if they pull a CRV like job on it they'll be screwed because they won't be able to build what the market might demand.

Really... I wish the Pilot were about 5 inches longer and good looking, that would solve our current dilemma with our car selection. As it is, the Odyssey is a lot better looking -and more useful- than the Pilot.

aznstuart wrote:

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2006 21:28
danielgr wrote:
aznstuart wrote:

Just in case, I made a stupid mistake. I wanted to say "it's going to be four cyl and no hybrid", and not "for NA and no-hybrid". That's why I say afterwards: "You'll have to mix the thing within Civic, CR-V, Accord and Fit.", which are Honda high selling 4-cyls. (sure I let models like the Element out of the equation, but it's because I did not think those could need extra-production).

XessQ
Profile for XessQ
Re: Way to spin a bad month...but why? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2006 13:40
aznstuart wrote:
Well their next plant in Indiana will only boost their production by 200,000. .

so thats only like something on the order of 15-18% increase in production capacity?

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0