[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Anybody towing with 9AT Pilot or Odysseys?
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Bluetooth & Google Maps Voice Volume
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Honda Passport begins Production
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Audi e-tron GT Concept
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Halo Here To Stay In F1
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> UPDATE - repair complete Re: aftermarket door lock actuators. Experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Wow, THIS design is rather out there
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Truly LAME AHM website
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > Photo Gallery from 2006 Los Angeles Auto Show > > Re: Photo technique....

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

SonyFever
Profile for SonyFever
Photo technique.... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2006 14:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hi VTEC crew,

Ok I know this might be off topic and maybe it was already mentioned before. Still, looking at your photos I can't help wondering..... I notice that you were able to stop down the lens while getting sharp results. Did you use a tripod? I went there last night and struggled with the lighting. At ISO800 and with VR, in many cases the combination is not enough for me to step to something like f/8+.
Seriously I think you should post a how-to article on autoshow photography :)

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Photo technique.... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2006 17:23
SonyFever wrote:
Hi VTEC crew,

Ok I know this might be off topic and maybe it was already mentioned before. Still, looking at your photos I can't help wondering..... I notice that you were able to stop down the lens while getting sharp results. Did you use a tripod? I went there last night and struggled with the lighting. At ISO800 and with VR, in many cases the combination is not enough for me to step to something like f/8+.
Seriously I think you should post a how-to article on autoshow photography :)

I usually shoot ISO 400 at the shows so we can avoid using the flash as much as possible, and for this show it was all handheld. Shawn shot some of the pics too. We were shooting with a Canon 1D Mark II, with a Canon 24-70mm/f2.8L lens. I know it can be really aggravating to shoot but eventually you'll adapt to your camera. Most cameras I have used tend to over expose because their metering is thrown way off by the whacky lighting, so sometimes I'll use exposure compensation to speed up the shutter a little bit. Other times I have to go into full manual mode and fix the shutter speed and aperture.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Photo technique.... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2006 17:48
I have to say that the equipment must play a role too. I know nothing about photography other than what Jeff tells me, and I rarely altered anything from the auto settings. Maybe you can tell the difference - Jeff shot the reveals at Honda and Acura, I shot the Nissans and a lot of other various cars in the booths, and the Jeff shot the last couple pages of photos - in particular the hard to capture Ferrari and Porsche booths (both were very, very dark - not exactly good for presenting your vehicles IMO).

Personally, I can't tell much difference except that some of my shots were a bit "harsh" for lack of a better word (but I didn't try any really hard shots in the dark like Jeff either), so the Canon equipment must be pretty damn good for an amateur like me to get some respectable photos.

SC

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Photo technique.... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-04-2006 10:12
I'll reiterate a bit on Shawn's comments. While I do have some amateur photo background, the Canon body we use is freaking awesome. It can make most anyone look like a hero once you get the initial setup working. Pricey, but worth every penny.

Ryan

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0