[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: Why Buy an Si?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Author
  Post New Thread
Honda_4_Life
Profile for Honda_4_Life
Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 22:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So many negative comments on rev hang?
Should I wait? Is it that bad?

milvtecguy
Profile for milvtecguy
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 22:49
It's not bad, people are overreacting or they don't know how to drive. It actually makes driving at a relaxed pace nice and smooth. If you are not the fastest shifter of gears around the rev hang can help you to keep a smooth ride. It is far from something that makes the car not worth buying.
milvtecguy
Profile for milvtecguy
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 22:52
I forgot to add I came straight from a 99 SI to the 06 SI and it took me no time to adjust to the DBW. I don't think there is any problem at all with the rev hang.
patriarch
Profile for patriarch
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 22:52
its not that bad. but thats all relative. and thats my opinion. they're supposed to come out with another reflash, but we're all still waiting on that one. i dont think the rev hang is a good enough reason not to buy an Si.
1st HI Si
Profile for 1st HI Si
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 23:10
I have the first re-flash and I have no rev hang any more. the lag was a little annoying but that has been fixed as well.
garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 23:11
It shouldn't stop you from buying this car whatsoever. All you're doing is buying it with a manufacturers INTENTIONAL deffect.
2JzSupraGTE
Profile for 2JzSupraGTE
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 00:41
Why buy a SI? Why not!?
lotsofhondas
Profile for lotsofhondas
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 06:42
Hmmmm...I asked the same thing and bought the EX Coupe instead. No DBW hang, don't need to worry about the tires wearing out in 10,000 or so miles, no kiddie car wing and 34.6 mpg in stop and go, in-town traffic. Then again, 6,800 rpm is a whole lot shorter than 8,000+ rpm; the handling is a bit crappy, even with my "improved" suspension (needs better tires and shocks); the 1.8 L engine needs more low end torque, but does OK, once moving; the Si exhaust sounds like a real car instead of a bumble bee buzzing around your ear; and six speeds in the Si have one more gear to play with. Take your choice.
dadliboi
Profile for dadliboi
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 08:44
Well, many of us out there actually like the rev hang. Do a search and you'll find we've discussed the shortcomings of the DBW fix released by Honda. Basically, quick shifting at high RPM's sucks with the new programming.

At 17k miles my tires still have a lot of life left in them. I launch hard from time to time and I regularly chirp 2nd gear (even without trying sometimes). So unless you're out there doing burnouts everyday, tire wear with the stock Michellins shouldn't be a problem.

And...I don't find the Si wing to be "kiddie" by any means. The new Accords have a wing that looks quite similar. The wing is actually very well designed. If you want to see a kiddie wing, go look at a Cobalt SS...lol.

TigerInHouston
Profile for TigerInHouston
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 08:54
After about 4,500 miles on my 06 Si, my opinion is that the issue is trivial. Some of the fast-n-furious crowd who likes to hammer the shifter gear to gear may have to adjust their timing. Big deal.

All in all, the car is a joy to drive. On winding roads matching RPMs is very smooth and natural; maybe Honda knows a bit more about throttle response than some of the fanboys give them credit for?

If you pass on this car, you're missing a great driving experience at an amazing price.

wolfmansbro
Profile for wolfmansbro
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 09:10
lotsofhondas wrote:
No DBW hang, don't need to worry about the tires wearing out in 10,000 or so miles

The tires dont wear that fast, I have 15k on mine, Ive rotated them twice and they look like they can easily go another 15k. The DBW hang has been fixed .

civsnake
Profile for civsnake
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 09:53
I've got 23k on my all-seasons without rotating yet (I know, bad dog) and they still have lots of tread left to them.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 10:10
I'm at 13k on my all-seasons, and there is plenty left.
lotsofhondas
Profile for lotsofhondas
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 10:22
"Kiddie car wing"...heh, heh, heh.... I knew that'd get their attention.

But in reality, what does that wing do? It does nothing, absolutely nothing.... Maybe a styling statement? Ugh!

Darknight101
Profile for Darknight101
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 10:52
22k on the stock tires from an LX there crap but they hold up well abput 70% of them are left and by no means am I easy on tires. Replaceing then in December as a gift to myself lol and keeping them around I figure if they wont die they will make grate spares for when the new one's do.
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold    (Score: 0, Inflammatory) 11-21-2006 11:21

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold    (Score: 0, On a crusade?) 11-21-2006 11:24

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message
lotsofhondas
Profile for lotsofhondas
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 11:43
So, the wing does something does it? Tell me what the angle of attack on the wing is? Zero, right, total and complete zero. That means it does nothing, it's there for looks= kiddie car wing.

Sure spun these guys up, huh. They seem to have little sense of humor. Heh, heh, heh....

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold    (Score: 0, No Value Added) 11-21-2006 11:46

lotsofhondas
Profile for lotsofhondas
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 11:51
The loser Wolfy is you. Take a look at the main thread, the one that says CIVIC, and also says all models of Civic discussed here. Notice it didn't say Si, it said all models of Civic. If you think you are so unique and since you have no sense of humor and I'm just busting a gut laughing at you, maybe you should go find one that says "Si" just for you. And by the way, you better learn some more about cars, if you think the Si is the only car ever built, becuz it is slow. You are about to have your butt flamed by any number of faster cars.

IT'S A KIDDIE CAR WING! DOES NOTHING, JUST SITS THERE AND TRIES TO LOOK FAST.

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold    (Score: 0, Way Off Topic) 11-21-2006 12:04

a2birdcage
Profile for a2birdcage
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 12:07
So everything on a street car has to be functional? The wing on the Si may do nothing for performance but I think it helps to balance the look of the car without overstating anything.
lotsofhondas
Profile for lotsofhondas
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 12:12
That would be a matter of personal choice then, wouldn't it? However, Wolfy seems to think that it is very functional, and it isn't functional at all. That tells me that he knows very little about his car or cars in general, but can be very insulting. Funny how that works, people who know little tend to be insulting, it's the only way they can bluff thru a discussion.

Also, people who know little, tend to think everyone else's car is probably pretty crappy and their's and only their's is the best. It's the first clue about their character and their knowledge.

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold    (Score: 0, On a crusade?) 11-21-2006 12:21

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold    (Score: 0, Way Off Topic) 11-21-2006 12:24

lotsofhondas
Profile for lotsofhondas
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 12:26
By the way, the spoiler is zero functional. Unless it has a measured angle of attack it is zero functional. Go back to school, dude...learn something.
Narcoossee
Profile for Narcoossee
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 12:27
wolf -

Please explain, in as much detail as possible, how wind resistance forces the rear of the car down.

Regarding "higher speeds", please be specific, and detail for everyone here: at what speed this effect might become relevant to a Civic?

Regarding "professional race cars" (what, amateur race cars aren't allowed?), please explain, in as much detail as possible, the different configurations of wings and spoilers, and their aerodynamic effects on the performance of the car. Compare and contrast race cars to passenger cars, and the applicability of wings and spoilers to each, with an emphasis on passenger cars, since that's what we all drive.

I await your considered, thoughtful and sure-to-be enlightened reply.

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 12:28
This has deviated off-topic.

wolfman - you are displaying unnecessary name calling that we don't allow here. It stops now.

The Si spoiler is actually functional, over ~80 MPH. We've spoken to the development team about it.

Ryan

VdoManZ
Profile for VdoManZ
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 12:34
RyanDL wrote:
This has deviated off-topic.

wolfman - you are displaying unnecessary name calling that we don't allow here. It stops now.

The Si spoiler is actually functional, over ~80 MPH. We've spoken to the development team about it.

Ryan

Ryan FTW!

OP buy the Si you will love it

lotsofhondas
Profile for lotsofhondas
Re: Why Buy an Si?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 12:38
I spoke to the development team as well. It has a zero angle of attack. It is totally useless and does nothing to stabilze the car. On the other hand if a car that can only do about 130 mph needs stability of any sort at 80 mph, that means that the body is not designed properly. I'd have a hard time believing that about Honda.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0