[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
narutopower
Profile for narutopower
2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 01:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hey everybody, my name's Allen. Longtime lurker, first time poster. I'm looking to buy my first new car sometime in the next few months, and I'm just wondering, does anyone has dealer recommendations for the SoCal (mostly SD) area?

One worry I've got is the fact that I've never driven a stick on a regular basis. I've read on forums that the Si isn't too hard. Is this true, coming from the guys with Sis?

Knob
Profile for Knob
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 09:21
Can't help with the dealer question...since I live in Canada.

However, IF you are already an experienced driver...learning to drive stick shouldn't be a big deal. One thing to be sure of is not to ride the clutch excessively...just shift and get off the clutch between shifts. I have seen folks unnecessarily keep their foot on the clutch...which can cause premature clutch wear.

A manual transmission is the only way to go with any 4 cylinder Honda.

SHOBU
Profile for SHOBU
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 10:24
People will disagree with me for sure but I recomend not learning stick on a car like the Si.

Learning stick well takes years of practice.

The 1st few months with the Si you will not really get the full benefit out of it and are more likely to get in trouble or frustrated due to its peaky engine.

If I were in your shoes I would get a base model stick like a Honda Fit (since the Civic Hatch DX is no longer made) or a used 1996 to 2000 base stickshift Civic hatchback

Do that for a few years and THEN get something more agressive like the Si

Again not all people will agree with the above but that's my 0.02 $

JMU R1
Profile for JMU R1
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 10:45
SHOBU wrote:
People will disagree with me for sure but I recomend not learning stick on a car like the Si.

Learning stick well takes years of practice.

The 1st few months with the Si you will not really get the full benefit out of it and are more likely to get in trouble or frustrated due to its peaky engine.

What are you talking about? The Si still has more power anywhere in the power band than any of the other cars you mentioned, why would the engine be a problem. My first manual car was a GS-R and that has even less torque than the Si and I had no problem with it.

Sure you're not going to be able to blip off 3 or 4 perfectly rev-matched downshifts in the first week you own the car but it certainly doesn't take years to learn how to drive a manual transmission car unless you are particularly uncoordinated. After a few weeks you shouldn't be having any problem.

Colt 1911A1
Profile for Colt 1911A1
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 12:15
Do some reading about driving a stick so that you don't pick up bad habits that can ruin your transmission. My suggestion would be not to downshift excessively or at large speed/rpm differentials w/o learning to rev-match.
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 13:42
U can learn in 1 hour and be a pro in 4 hours. IMHO. Or maybe I'm just that good?
SHOBU
Profile for SHOBU
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 13:55
What I meant is that a 200 hp engine is less forgiving on a driver when they make a mistake that a 100 hp engine.

I learn driving stick on an Integra Type R ... and in retrospect I would have preferred something with less of a bite to learn stick on.

And I really didn't fully apreciate driving stickshift until 3 or 4 years of driving stick (e.g. rev matching, double clutching, etc ..)

And by the way people that say it takes 1 week to learn stick are talking out of their @$$.

One can learn how to propell the car forward in one week but not "drive" the car `_^

Try making a left hand turn at a stop sign on a 30 degree incline with another car 15 cm behind you after the 1st week of driving stick and see what happens.

Colt 1911A1
Profile for Colt 1911A1
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 14:02
SHOBU wrote:

Try making a left hand turn at a stop sign on a 30 degree incline with another car 15 cm behind you after the 1st week of driving stick and see what happens.

Or on an 8% grade in rush hour stop-and-go.

LoonRice
Profile for LoonRice
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 14:17
i agree with shobu. sure, anyone can learn how to use the clutch, gas, and brake pedals. It's basic, but it'd be best you learn to drive a stick on an older car. I am driving an old mitsubishi galant MT and i've learned many things from it. shifting smoothly took a little time for me since i was a newb, and i thought to downshift was to simply lower gears without rev matching. yea it was stupid of me because no one actually told me the to dos and dont's. after my clutch turned into ashes, i researched what i did wrong. From there on I've learned correct ways to drive a manual.

Of course you can simply research how to drive a manual before you buy one. But it's like schooling, sure you can read all you want, but you need to gain experience in the real world. You will need something to practice on before doing things perfectly. Unless you don't care if you risk the chance of hurting your transmission, go ahead and buy your si, no one is stopping you. After approx 3 yrs of driving my car, I know I am ready to drive a brand new car. I may not be the best at it, but I KNOW I wouldn't mess it up.

austinsb3639
Profile for austinsb3639
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 15:23
SHOBU wrote:

And I really didn't fully apreciate driving stickshift until 3 or 4 years of driving stick (e.g. rev matching, double clutching, etc ..)

And by the way people that say it takes 1 week to learn stick are talking out of their @$$.

One can learn how to propell the car forward in one week but not "drive" the car `_^

Just a question. Are you double clutching? Unless your car is from the 80's or earlier there is no need to learn or practice double clutching. Syncros do the trick for you. I do agree that it does take some practice to get the hill thing down as well as rev matching. If you can attend an auto X event and see if you can ride with an experienced driver to learn downshifting rev-matching techniques. It also helps to install a cover that is wider over your gas pedal to make the gas and brake closer together. If you have any friends with a full size truck that is manual, ask them to let you drive it a bit. The transmission is a little sturdier with them especially to learn. Learning on an SI might be more difficult do to the torque numbers and you will have to perfect feathering the gass a bit to start out. Good luck and hope all goes well in your purchase.

Knob
Profile for Knob
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 20:24
Let's not scare this guy off...learning to drive stick isn't that big a deal and surely doesn't take "years of practice". Also, Honda transmissions aren't so weak that he needs to worry about ruining it. I say get the car you want, but just take it easy until you get proficient.
narutopower
Profile for narutopower
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 21:28
Thanks to everyone who replied. No worries about scaring me off; I've driven stick before (learned on my friend's MX6, VW GTI VR6, etc), just never owned one before. I drove the previous gen Civic Si before and had no problems. But thanks, I have been reading up on driving manual, but nothing beats first hand experience.

It looks like I'll get a chance to borrow a friend's 10+ yr old Saturn to practice stick. At least for a little while since he now has a new car (2006 Acura TL 6spd, I'm so jealous :P.) Hopefully I'll have get enough exp so I won't look a total fool when I go to the dealer in a couple months!

garoto
Profile for garoto
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2006 23:24
SHOBU wrote:
What I meant is that a 200 hp engine is less forgiving on a driver when they make a mistake that a 100 hp engine.

I learn driving stick on an Integra Type R ... and in retrospect I would have preferred something with less of a bite to learn stick on.

I agree with you on some of your points, not all of them. I respect all of them yet I do not share them.

I think 3 or 4 years is plenty of time to learn to drive stick, I mean think about it, the guy wants the si, he's gonna have to buy the all new redesigned 2011 Si or something.

The process of LEARNING would sound better if you would do it on a different car to learn all of the tricks... (I mean the guy KNOWS what driving a car is like and should know all the concepts of what driving stick involves, all he needs is the practice).

One week of driving the other car should be enough for you not to endanger your break-in process in the Si, or any other aspect of the vehicle.... once you've learned on the older car and you're actually driving the newer car you'll start to experience and discover newer things...

There's always gonna be challenges and stuff.... (Think about the 30 degree incline on the rain when the BUS behind you is 1 inch away from you and the left-turning light just turned green!!! (slippery situation isn't it...?)

I have a 1997 civic HX which I love, It took me 1 week to drive the car.... 1 month THINK im a pro.. about a year to learn every single aspect of it... behaviors of the car engine tranny etc.. etc.. etc.... but I drove 55000 miles that year!!!

So if you want the si dont be scared of buying it, just practice the first steps on a different car (a rental maybe?)

dontbothertim
Profile for dontbothertim
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 00:26
I am sincerely impressed.
SHOBU
Profile for SHOBU
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 08:38
Hi,
not saying that double clutching or rev matching is necessary 70 % of the time I just down shift ...

but if you are in the highway and need to overtake a truck on the left lane in a hurry ... I don't mind double clutching into 3rd or 4th and gunning it. Down shifting would KILL the syncros if not the tranny.

Now obviously double clucthing also has its application in X-Cross since when you doubleclutch/revmatch you tend not to get the pull back that you do with downshifting... .especially when you need torque right away.

My thoughts around rev matching is that it is a lazier form of double clutching. Not sure if you are aware but rev matching if done improperly can destroy your transmission as you are technically still connected to the engine as you blip the gas ... while with double clutching you are not `_^

SHOBU
Profile for SHOBU
Re: 2007 Civic Si Sedan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2006 08:42
truth/reality is sometime scary ^_^

and a lot of this feedback coming from the posters are from experience.

ignoring the feedback ultlimately give us the right to say "I told you so" with no remorse (just joking)

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0