[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
More.......................
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Re: 06 odessy spark plug tube leak
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Valve adjustment needed?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Honda's Hawk: LSR-Attempt Bike
Join Discussion......
Honda Power Equipment --> Re: Considering a Honda mower
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: 2022 TLX FR plank
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Super GT - spoiler
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Roof rails and cross bars installed -- MDX
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Politician's cars
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My TLX so far
Join Discussion......
Accord --> 2019 Accord Release Info
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Honda launches Studio E Concept at North American International Auto Show > > Re: You're missing a point, Tony..

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Element and FS-X? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-06-2003 15:41
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hey... one of them pictures is of an FS-X? The one shown in LA had a City of Los Angeles sticker on it.

More importantly, and aside of that hinged, drop down plasma screen that's sure to cost as much as the Element itself (and give the rear passengers a real baaaaad headacke when crossing railroad tracks: THONK! ) is that there were more people around the Element at LA Auto Show than in the whole Buick display.

The Element is going to be one heck of a hit. I saw people of all ages in, out, under and all over it. There were old folks with grins from ear to ear.

I want one. In Bad Boy Black.

Oh... we noted that the fenders on the LX are prone to scratching.... that might be a problem.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Element and FS-X? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-06-2003 21:25
Yep. They had an orange EX from the press fleet at the Phoenix show which ended Sunday. It looked a heck of alot better than that crap DX and it had the metallic gray panels instead of those solid gray ones. Nicer seat fabics, too.

That vehicle had the most people around it, along with the new Z.

The concept here looks like they took the old Element concept car and gutted it, just to have something "new" to show.

-Neal

magueto
Profile for magueto
Re: Element and FS-X? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2003 13:45
Neal wrote:

The concept here looks like they took the old Element concept car and gutted it, just to have something "new" to show.

-Neal

You're right Neal, they just want to show something new.
BTW, is this the new version of "The A Team" car?

HondaJet
Profile for HondaJet
F-CX guys, that's F-CX (fuel cell car) [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2003 15:08
I hope the Honda Element gets a good solid following, that will make people realize how ugly the upcoming competition - Toyota/Scion bbx - really is.
ninthgear
Profile for ninthgear
Re: Element and FS-X? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2003 15:13
Oh... we noted that the fenders on the LX are prone to scratching.... that might be a problem.

as far as the plastic on the lx scratching easily... you cant scratch something that doesnt exist, just the ex and dx are availible.
As for the huge plasma tv... I can't wait to see the first Honda Studio E EX/plasmaHDTV come off the truck and make it into my showroom. it will give me something to distract my "domestic buying" customers so I can help someone who doesn't want a $2000 discount on a Pilot in addition to a $2500 manufacturer rebate...

honda is beginning to look more and more promising each and everyday.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Scion? Mini Cahs don't sell in the US.... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2003 15:25
The Scions are damn weird. The four door "van" may sell well in Japan delivering fresh fish and bento boxes but in the US it seems like the spare tire for a Navigator/Suburban. I'd hate to be on the road when the Santa Ana winds blow..... I mean, two of the would fit under my front porch. Those Scions are simply too small for our roads and simply too "Akihabara Neon" for american tastes.

In contrast, the Element doesn't look small at all. Although small, it is properly sized for the US and looks like it may take some room in the garage.

HondaJet wrote:
I hope the Honda Element gets a good solid following, that will make people realize how ugly the upcoming competition - Toyota/Scion bbx - really is.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Element and FS-X? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2003 15:30
Yes, you're right... it was the DX..... sorry about the typo,

So you sell Hondas.... are you trying to tell me that you get folks that actually think that AHM is giving manufacturing rebates on the Pilot? And they still want a 2000 discount on top of that?

What the hell are these people driving? Explorers? GM Crapolas?

I suppose you could use that big Plasma hooked up to a PC to show them the Edmunds web site where they list the TMV prices..... Of course, your customers might get heart atacks when they see what Ford/GM and Dodge have done to the resale value of "domestic" SUVs with their manufacturer rebates and 0% financing..... How many of those customers are underwater on their loans? Do you know?

ninthgear wrote:

as far as the plastic on the lx scratching easily... you cant scratch something that doesnt exist, just the ex and dx are availible.
As for the huge plasma tv... I can't wait to see the first Honda Studio E EX/plasmaHDTV come off the truck and make it into my showroom. it will give me something to distract my "domestic buying" customers so I can help someone who doesn't want a $2000 discount on a Pilot in addition to a $2500 manufacturer rebate...

honda is beginning to look more and more promising each and everyday.

ninthgear
Profile for ninthgear
Re: Scion? Mini Cahs don't sell in the US.... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2003 18:34
the element is roughly a good size. it's built on the civic universal chassis so you can gauge the length and width fairly well. as far as height, its my size, roughly 6'2". and with 77cubic feet of cargo space, there is plenty of room inside. edmunds adds "seating for 4" to the cons list, but what do they know? the also listed the PT Cruiser as having "unique crash test scores"
ninthgear
Profile for ninthgear
Re: Element and FS-X? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2003 18:46
yes, i sell hondas. and im young too, just breaking into my twenties... i love the nearly exclusive access that affords me to the element's share of the honda market.

and yes, people actually believe honda is doing 0% apr, "$2000+" in rebates, as well as marking up their cars $5000 or so over invoice... I affectionately call these people "domestic buyers".

as far as what these people are driving...? it's not my place to talk bad about other manufacturers, however... they're not toyota or honda owners... and everything else falls into one catagory... you figure it out.

as far as how many are actually upside down in their trades...? that depends on who you talk to. if you ask them, and they owe $22,000 on an 01 mitsubishi eclipse with 30,000 miles on it, its worth about $25,000. if you ask me, they're about $22,000 upside down in their trade. but according to our wholesellers... they're roughly $8000 to $9000 in the hole. so in all reality about 85% of non-honda/non-toyota drivers have negative equity in their trades. look for those statistics to drop to 45% or less for honda or toyota drivers.

ninthgear
Profile for ninthgear
gimme element questions and get an answer... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2003 18:54
i just got some good news... come friday i get to attend the element ride and drive...

for those of you who don't know, it's the one opportunity sales people get to go out and drive these vehicles like we never could with the one('s) on our lot.

I'll take my digcam and possibly get some nice photo's for you all to enjoy.

if you guys have any questions about the element that you can't find the answer to, or I can't answer... email them to me @ ninthgear@hotmail.com and i will find out while i am there...

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Scion? Mini Cahs don't sell in the US.... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2003 19:16
Yeah, the PT Cruiser had "unique crash test scores" 'cause you gotta be a "crash test dummy" to buy one.....

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.....

The Element is indeed built off the global small platform but it's really closest to the the CRV variant. I did notice that it felt bigger inside. I'm a bit curious about how comfortable the back seats will be for long rides. The CRV's are quite comfortable for two, particularly as they recline (so do the Element's).

The only thing I miss is that there's no picnic table on the Element. But for the money saved, I figure I can bring my own.

ninthgear wrote:
the element is roughly a good size. it's built on the civic universal chassis so you can gauge the length and width fairly well. as far as height, its my size, roughly 6'2". and with 77cubic feet of cargo space, there is plenty of room inside. edmunds adds "seating for 4" to the cons list, but what do they know? the also listed the PT Cruiser as having "unique crash test scores"

ninthgear
Profile for ninthgear
Re: Scion? Mini Cahs don't sell in the US.... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2003 20:39
a female friend of mine has a PT Cruiser... till I told her it was built on the neon platform... ;)

as far as the backseats in the element go... they're pretty comfortable while on a short drive. but after i spend all day in one on friday, i'll let you know.

as far as the picnic table goes... would be pointless, since you can spill crap all over the seats, spray it with water, wipe and you're good to go.

if you can't tell, im in love with the element. and im working my management over trying to get a demo for myself. however limited availibility is killing my chances. even the one sitting in our showroom has been sold for almost a week and a half now.

honda_freak
Profile for honda_freak
Re: Scion? Mini Cahs don't sell in the US.... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2003 00:12
Actually, the spare tire cover is a picnic table top. They sell the legs as an accessory. That bugs me only because a few of the stuff that make the Element cool are sold as accessories (i.e. table legs for the table, bungie ropes for the chair back pockets, chrome exhaust tip, roof spoiler, roof racks, etc.) They add up pretty quick on the Honda site.
Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
You're missing a point, Tony.. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2003 02:15
If Mini-cars don't sell well in the U.S, please tell me why the Cooper (saying who makes it would be redundant) has already exceeded its sales expectations by 6,000 units?

Why did Nissan have a Cube, straight from Japan with RHD on their floor@ LA?

And don't tell me those AHM execs in Torrance are seen driving Fit's because they think it's cute...

Chris_pnoy
Profile for Chris_pnoy
Re: Scion? Mini Cahs don't sell in the US.... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2003 12:52
Well not everyone wants to have things like chrome exhaust tips and roof spoilers....

Especially when you want to take it off roading.

I think though that they should have made it just a lil cheaper and get some more accesories.... Especially engine parts.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
The Mini is larger.... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2003 12:57
The Scion cars at the LA Auto Show are smaller than the Mini. In fact the Scions are really _small_.

Honda makes some cars in Japan like it... check out these links

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/
http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/thats/
http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/mobiliospike/

The Mini also has a more substantial feel and image to it. Everything on it is "full" and/or "chunky" sized, including the seats, door handles, minilite like wheels... not to mentioned the oversized gauges. In the Scions everything felt like it would fit just fine in an Akihabara garage but would get lost behind the water heater in the typical american garage.

I didn't see the Cube... the kids were beginnning to throw fits by then.

The JDM Honda Fit seems much larger than the Scions..... I can't read Japanese but here's the Honda JDM link. Note the picture on the second link below where there are two women next to it.... Now, they may be japanese women, not nordic amazons, but nevertheless the car seems much larger than either Scion.

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/fit/
http://www.honda.co.jp/welfare/fit-almas/

You see a lot of JDM only cars driven with manufacturer's or importer's plates in southern calirfornia. It doesn't mean that they plan to bring it in. In fact, unless the car was manufactured in NA, I doubt AHM could make a case to sell a very small car at a cost that undoubtedly would match the larger NA made Civic.

Power Of Dreams wrote:
If Mini-cars don't sell well in the U.S, please tell me why the Cooper (saying who makes it would be redundant) has already exceeded its sales expectations by 6,000 units?

Why did Nissan have a Cube, straight from Japan with RHD on their floor@ LA?

And don't tell me those AHM execs in Torrance are seen driving Fit's because they think it's cute...

BuddySol
Profile for BuddySol
Re: You're missing a point, Tony.. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2003 13:33
The Honda Fit is actually a pretty big car. About the size of the 5-door Civic.

It'd be interesting to see how the K-cars will handle in the US. If they do well, maybe I'll get a chance at getting a Suzuki Wagon R RR...hehehe.

ninthgear
Profile for ninthgear
Re: Scion? Mini Cahs don't sell in the US.... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2003 18:32
actually, i asked about that for you today @ the ride and drive workshop. the main reason is simply to keep the price down. in order to maintain affordability honda opted to go the accessory route. when you look at adding those up at a dealership, remember... regardless of what they tell you, those prices ARE negotiable. if you have any questions about pricing, please let me know. i've heard some horror stories from accross the nation so far about dealers tacking on thousands in accessories and customers being forced to buy them. email me at ninthgear@hotmail.com with any questions or concerns.
ninthgear
Profile for ninthgear
Re: Scion? Mini Cahs don't sell in the US.... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2003 18:33
agreed
ninthgear
Profile for ninthgear
Re: You're missing a point, Tony.. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2003 18:40
honda won't bring em in for one big reason.

watch how toyota is beginning to confuse their customers with options... too many product lines.

i can't name half of the vehicle manufactured by toyota anymore... i just dont think seeing more than the already availible insight, hybrid, civic coupe, civic sedan, accord coupe, accord sedan, s2000, pilot, cr-v, and element is going to happen. honda is not THAT large of a company, only the third largest japanese automaker. that doesn't mean they're not the best (americans always {90% of them} see bigger as better)

BuddySol
Profile for BuddySol
Re: You're missing a point, Tony.. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2003 22:48
Well, I would think that at least the Fit/Jazz will be coming over to the States. Well recieved in Europe and the #1 selling car in Japan. If a plant was built in South America to chug out the Fit/Jazz, it should at least be coming to the States sooner or later.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0