[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "Moose Test". Nissan Kicks fail
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Passport spy pics
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: No more 3rd gen FC Clarity, Hello 2020 4th gen
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Red Bull Ring Round 11 MotoGP (spoiler)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The new and used Jeeps are moving off the lot in New Jersey
Join Discussion......
Accord --> How about Android car radio?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2 of 5 top tradeins on Tesla 3 are Hondas
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Next-gen NSX, TSX, Accord, Fit, and more sketches from a Japanese "Scoop" Magazine > > Re: Accord styling

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 12:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hummmm . . . . I share your concerns regarding the Accord. The car in the drawing looks bland, almost like melted wax, lacking both character lines and definition in an apparent quest for aero efficiency. (I'm prepared to give up several mpg to avoid living with this design possibility.) The front in particular, forward of the A-pillar, seems featureless. Not good, IMHO.

Honda often borrows styling themes from BMW, so while I would never wish for a "Banglizing" Accord, I really hope that Honda doesn't go too far in mimiking either the Civic's silhouette or proportions in the final design of the Accord. (Chicago's show cars didn't look like this, did they?)

jgdpsu
Profile for jgdpsu
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 12:38
My thoughts exactly...

That Accord just looks like a stretched Civic sedan. If that is anywhere close to true...I guess I'll be looking elsewhere for my next car once my current 03 Accord is payed off. I like the Civic coupe styling, but the sedan just doesn't do it for me neither. Like Jeff said, it's just too stubby/weird looking for my taste.

SHOBU
Profile for SHOBU
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 12:58
This for sure will not happen in Canada since it basically looks like a bigger version of the Acura CSX (which is the JDM civic).... my guess is that at least in Canada the front of the Accord will and must look different from the picture to differentiate Acura from Honda .... I think sometimes that Honda is just making a mess of their brand image between all the different combinations of Honda/Acura and JDM/ADM/EDM ... they have to stop sharing platforms as much as they do between Honda and Acura ... it will just end up confusing the regular consumer.
Honda-D
Profile for Honda-D
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 13:09
Given that dimension is already very close, having the same styling may hamper sale of next Accord. And there's no way that can compete with the new Camry.

While a cheap toy image works for Civic. Accord will need a bit more grace.

hondacura
Profile for hondacura
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 14:17
I wouldn't be surprised if the new Accord is a bigger Civic. It would be unfortuante but Honda needs to separate designs from Acura. The current TL and Accord are not exact alike but I see some similarity. Obviously Honda is going through some huge design change. Look at the CRV. What is really going on??? I definitely will have to buy Acura.
mlody
Profile for mlody
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 15:00
i like the current civic design (exterior only) and if the accord is going to like bigger civic i am fine with that as long as honda does not put a stupid 2-stage dashboard
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 15:14
Actually, I don't think it's that bad... although it does look like a Acura CSX in a way. It's a bit too smooth... if they made it slightly more angular, I think it would be perfect. In any case, it looks better than the current Accord

Now, if Honda created a new line of engines instead of using the J-series, then we're set =P

MikeStats12
Profile for MikeStats12
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 15:15
I'm just very afraid here! I just want to see the Accord that I know Honda is capable of designing. The 3.5L V6 seems tempting, but we need something that will put away the laughable competition of chevy, ford, and mazda.
scottman
Profile for scottman
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 15:33
That is way too conservative styling for the Accord compared to the new Camry. That shouldn't happen. This actually looks pretty close to the photoshopped Civic-Accord fake spy pic that was posted on a few places.
SHOBU
Profile for SHOBU
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 16:02
more angular = TL as opposed to CSX ... the problem remains

Honda and Acura need to decide ... are they similar or are they different.... I think they will and already are causing too much brand confusion

jastereo1
Profile for jastereo1
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 16:13
scottman wrote:
That is way too conservative styling for the Accord compared to the new Camry. That shouldn't happen. This actually looks pretty close to the photoshopped Civic-Accord fake spy pic that was posted on a few places.

Exactly...that new Accord has got to be a home run especially coming a year and a half after that new Camry (I can't believe it but that thing just looks great, it looks better than the new Lexus es350's). Just making it look like a bigger/better looking civic sedan is just not going to cut it and if there is even a hint of the jacked up design mistakes like the new CR-V front end, honda is in for some trouble. I know that will never happen on the Accord, what will is that they will make it just good enough to not offend. That worked in the past against the older even more boring Camry's, but not this new one. If you need some inspiration look no further than the Acura TL/TSX. I know it will have to be watered down some for Honda but please; more TL and less Civic to keep it interesting

Bustanovich
Profile for Bustanovich
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 16:16
Sigh. That image is a pure fabrication, with zero cues from the next Accord. It is ONLY a stretched Civic, no "if" about it. The only similarity from that image to the next Accord sedan will be the quantity of doors.
Really, I've heard much better guesses and conjecture from TOVers, than from these magazines.
I do appreciate them being shown here, though, for entertainment purposes. Just don't ever expect to get actual information from them. The Accord is likely the most protected design of all, confirmed by the serious lack of real spy photos.

cat in the baby
Profile for cat in the baby
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 17:35
sometimes they get it right sometimes they get it wrong. we know for sure that the next tsx will pretty much look like that blue model (and it should) but the nsx, accord, and fit, are pushing it. like others have said the accord is based on pure speculation (and fails horribly) the fit looks too cute and is ruined with the mini crv front, and the nsx although nice, doesnt evok honda of 2006+ as much as its just a mash up of tons of cars.
civic_si
Profile for civic_si
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 17:47
I most definatly hope that is not the Upcoming Accord .. NOOOO cause we dont want a Civic looka like.... The Previous Civic did not look like the accord .. that pic looks like the headlights off a 2007 Cr-v and diff grille .. the door and mirrors look just like the civic.. I hope that they can do better than that .. it will be just like a over priced civic!
HondaChuck
Profile for HondaChuck
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 18:08
Honda has never designed the Accord to follow the Civic styling before so I doubt they will start. This is just an example of someone photoshopping every existing Honda design element together so that they can say "see, I was close" when the new model debuts.
We have some proficient photoshop manipulators who read these forums. Why not post your hopeful creations of what you think the next Accord should look like. Whatever you come up with would be no less credible than what is shown here.
Personally, I'll settle for conservative but attractive styling (think Pontiac G6) with exceptional engineering, refinement, and powerful efficiency (think BMW 3series with Honda reliability)

Honda-D
Profile for Honda-D
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 19:13
SHOBU wrote:
more angular = TL as opposed to CSX ... the problem remains

Honda and Acura need to decide ... are they similar or are they different.... I think they will and already are causing too much brand confusion

I do think Acura is going angular while Honda goess for roundness.

CSX is just the freak of the family.

buddha
Profile for buddha
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 19:34
I guess there are people who like that piranha mouth look. Sad if the new Camry is considered to be the standard of design for this class. I'd take bland over ugly any day.
Trip
Profile for Trip
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 19:36
I'm not feeling any love for this illustration either. But, I do think the next Accord is going to have the same general proportions as the new Civic because of the ACE body structure and pedestrian friendly nose that it will most certainly have. The lines will be crisper, not as organic as the Civic. I'm betting same overall proportions but because the Accord is a bit larger, the windshield won't reach as far into the hood and seem to have as much rake to it. With less windshield rake, no need for that side quarter window and there'll be less dash board real estate so a 2-tier gauge design prolly won't work. (Amen! I like it in the Civic but I don't think it's quite right for the majority of Accord buyers.) I agree with HondaChuck - "conservative but attractive" will most likely be the look. It would be nice to see projector headlights to give it a more upscale look and a different LED pattern in the rear. Turn signals in the side view mirrors would add an extra touch, too.
blu
Profile for blu
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 20:37
mlody wrote:
i like the current civic design (exterior only) and if the accord is going to like bigger civic i am fine with that as long as honda does not put a stupid 2-stage dashboard

A couple hundred thousand 2006 Civic buyers would probably disagree with your opinion of the "stupid 2-stage dashboard."

Not sure if you knew that or not...

dydx
Profile for dydx
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 20:50
blu wrote:

A couple hundred thousand 2006 Civic buyers would probably disagree with your opinion of the "stupid 2-stage dashboard."

Not sure if you knew that or not...

I don't really see sales as a proper indicator of whether people liked the 2-stage dashboard; they bought the overall package, not one aspect of it. It's not a deal breaker for most people.

duncan
Profile for duncan
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 23:10
errrr...what piranha mouth? don't see it. The bump in the middle of the hood however does remind me of a beluga whale...

I don't think people are suggesting the new Camry is the new standard, but rather it is light yrs better than previous designs. The new Camry is attractive, and with a brand new Altima due soon, the ante has definitely upped. Whether you like the competitions' designs or not, Honda simply can't play it TOO safe with the new Accord. buddha may prefer something bland, but I strongly doubt he represents the majority of car buyers.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2006 23:11
Couldn't agree more Buddha. The new Toyota corporate look for sedans is just plain weird. That high mounted schnoz just looks wrong to me on the Camry and the Yaris. Like I've said before, being different for difference's sake is wrong. The old Camry was bland, but the new front end is a big miss. Every time I see it on the road I think Pinnochio.

SC

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2006 00:35
Not terribly related, but interesting nonetheless...

I find the look of the new Camry to be pretty bad. The lower valances on the front look good, as does the fenders and hood. Even the sides of the camry look good in profile. However, that front grill with the toyota symbol on what appears to be a dent or a big bump is just really bad. And the rear lights look way too constrained. Apparently, Car and Driver agrees:

"Toyota took the bestselling car in America, the inoffensively styled Camry, and in an effort to make it appear more upscale for 2007, grafted on a ponderous schnoz and a cellulite-puckered rump, the latter crime more grave. The result looks like an aging starlet who’s had work done, only to be exposed and damned by the invention of HDTV."

Fear not, for all is not lost next-gen-Accord-"spy photo"-bashers, as there ARE uglier cars out there =P

P.S. C&D praised the look of the new Civic Si (especially compared to the EP hatch we got in 2002)

swilder0123
Profile for swilder0123
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2006 01:07
Yeah, what's up with people and the Camry? A car should not have a beak. Really.

And that side profile. Is that front overhang like 5 feet. Put a beak on it to accentuate it and it's pretty sad.

Also don't like fat bulgy hips. Or all those weird bunched up seams and cutlines.

longlivehonda
Profile for longlivehonda
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2006 02:13
Accord has always had a different look to the civic i think we should not buy into anything the magazine is saying its all a lie. Accord is sucha core model for honda i am 100% sure it wont be based on the civic.
Varmint
Profile for Varmint
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2006 10:42
CarPhreakD wrote:
I find the look of the new Camry to be pretty bad. The lower valances on the front look good, as does the fenders and hood. Even the sides of the camry look good in profile. However, that front grill with the toyota symbol on what appears to be a dent or a big bump is just really bad. And the rear lights look way too constrained.

I tend to agree. I don't blame people for like the new Camry. It certainly is an interesting design. I just don't find it very attractive.

In my view, it's as if Toyota added a load of bolt-on styling options (fender flares, ground skirts, side strakes, etc.) and then threw a sheet over the car in an attempt to smooth things out. The result is something fat and lumpy.

Mate an Impreza with a 300C and you'd get a Camry.

Getting back on track... the Accord rendering in this magazine is doubtful. I do see Honda moving toward a more universal styling scheme. In the past, the styling link between models has been weak. Now, they seem to using more than just similar grills to create a family look.

That said, I don't see them taking it as far as... say... Audi - where the only way to tell an A4 from an A6 from an A8 is by checking the badge. So, while the Accord should take some styling cues from the Civic, it shouldn't be a photocopy enlarged by 10%.

Ryu750
Profile for Ryu750
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2006 11:11
Bustanovich wrote:
Sigh. That image is a pure fabrication, with zero cues from the next Accord. It is ONLY a stretched Civic, no "if" about it. The only similarity from that image to the next Accord sedan will be the quantity of doors.
Really, I've heard much better guesses and conjecture from TOVers, than from these magazines.
I do appreciate them being shown here, though, for entertainment purposes. Just don't ever expect to get actual information from them. The Accord is likely the most protected design of all, confirmed by the serious lack of real spy photos.

Thank you for saving me the time of typing all that.. +1

autofreak
Profile for autofreak
Re: Accord styling [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2006 20:27
While I do agree that this is just a fabrication and not real, the thought of Honda making the accord like a stretched out civic to keep its styling different and serparate from Acura does scare me. While i do think that keeping the brands styling different i dont agree on making honda's ugly to make Acuras shine ( like the "next generation accord" shown in this site). And if by any slim and strange chance that the accord does look like this, i would have to start looking elsewhere to buy a car.

p.s. I HATE quater windows (like those found on the civic sedan) because they are too retro looking and those mirror that are mounted on the sheet metal of the front doors. I prefer side mirrors than are incorporated into the front window design.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0