[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My NSX video
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Any expected improvement in US Type R availability?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Testing
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Early Honda TV Ads
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Now it's getting worse WSJ: Tesla is in trouble
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> GUG Racing Civic Titanium Shift Knob & Short Shifter For Sale
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Summary of 2006 Mid-Year Speech by CEO Takeo Fukui > > Re: Solar Panels?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Smoke_Jaguar4
Profile for Smoke_Jaguar4
Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 14:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Looks like honda is moving forward into alternative technologies. You know what would really rock? Imagine a hybrid car with solar cells on the roof. When you park the car, the solar cells would recharge the batteries. Furthermore, they would also power an electric air-conditioning system. That way, when you climb in your car at the end of the day, instead of it being 200+ degrees inside, it would nice and cool...
Incoginto
Profile for Incoginto
Re: Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 16:09
Doesn't BMW have solar panels on the inside, on the shelf behind the rear-seats?
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 16:26
Smoke_Jaguar4 wrote:
Looks like honda is moving forward into alternative technologies. You know what would really rock? Imagine a hybrid car with solar cells on the roof. When you park the car, the solar cells would recharge the batteries. Furthermore, they would also power an electric air-conditioning system. That way, when you climb in your car at the end of the day, instead of it being 200+ degrees inside, it would nice and cool...

Unfortunately, solar panels are pretty inefficient and heavy. I don't think they really have any place on a car, nevemind their utter uselessness during cloudy days and at night.

Ryan

Wizard
Profile for Wizard
Re: Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 16:52
I've actually thought about the same for a while... having solar panels incorporated in hybrid cars. In fact, the moonroof glass could be replaced with one, and even though the efficiency is fairly low, it would be better than nothing (and the efficiency keeps improving anyway).

IIRC, one of Honda's manufacturing facilities in Japan has solar panels for the roof (and part of the overall source for power).

Wizard
Profile for Wizard
Re: Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 17:17
Thought this was interesting...

"How much gasoline can this photovoltaic hybrid car save? Well letís look at the energy available from the sun on the roof of the car. For June and July in Kingston Ontario, about 6 kWh of energy from the sun strikes each square meter of horizontal surface. If we install 2 square meters of photovoltaic panels on the car and we collect 10% of the energy from the sun as electricity (well within present PV efficiency), we can theoretically go about 8 km each day on just the sunís energy. If we drive 24 km on a sunny day, that is enough to reduce our gasoline consumption by 33%."

Improving solar cell efficiency can go a long way in the future.

Great_Tubimi
Profile for Great_Tubimi
Re: Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 18:50
Ryan, did you not see this? *Click*

And just because the panels would be less useful at night does not change the fact that the cars can charge during the day. Not to mention most driving is done during the day. Most traffic jams as well as rush hour are also during the day. Would solar panel electric system recharge (SP-ESRģ) technology be for every market? No. Is the technology something worth looking into? Definitely.

As for Smoke's post: This was the same idea I had as soon as I saw that Honda was manufacturing thin solar cells. The A/C idea was a nice touch.

RyanDL wrote:
Smoke_Jaguar4 wrote:

Unfortunately, solar panels are pretty inefficient and heavy. I don't think they really have any place on a car, nevemind their utter uselessness during cloudy days and at night.

Ryan

civic_cx_92
Profile for civic_cx_92
Re: Solar Panels? - home use [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 19:46
"Solar cell panel for individual residential use and public industrial use"

Kumamoto is nice area and Mt. Aso caldera is unbelievable.

Preludean
Profile for Preludean
Re: Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 20:21
"Unfortunately, solar panels are pretty inefficient and heavy. I don't think they really have any place on a car, nevemind their utter uselessness during cloudy days and at night."

RyanDL: You must be thinking of the standard solar panels that are in use today. You have to read about the new solar cells that are spray-on and use nano-technology to harness the sun's infrared rays, so it works on cloudy days as well:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/01/0114_050114_solarplastic.html

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 21:48
Preludean wrote:
"Unfortunately, solar panels are pretty inefficient and heavy. I don't think they really have any place on a car, nevemind their utter uselessness during cloudy days and at night."

RyanDL: You must be thinking of the standard solar panels that are in use today. You have to read about the new solar cells that are spray-on and use nano-technology to harness the sun's infrared rays, so it works on cloudy days as well:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/01/0114_050114_solarplastic.html

Yeah, what they always forget to talk about in this very funny articles is "what about the price?" For sure you can do lots of magical things with solar pannels. The thing is, how much it would cost to you??
What's the price of these extra 8Km per day that Wizard mentionned?
Whenever people start thinking about a hybrid first thing I heard is "you won't get your money back". How long do you need to keep your car before you get the money of the solar pannels back.
That said, I have nothing against people working on it, and it does not seem a stupid idea to me..., but I think that right now Honda is much more focused in using Solar Pannels in buildings than in cars...
They did once in the past have an incredible solar car wining Solar races all over the world... Right now, the priority is to bring electricity to cars via hydrogen... You could always use solar panels to produce that hydrogen..., is much more convenient than putting the solar pannels themselves on the car...

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2006 05:24
There are too many problems for solar panels to appear on cars for the foreseeable.

But think of the roof area of Honda's factories!

Then there's Asimo, trickle chargers for electronics...who knows?

What I'd like is for Honda to build a notebook PC with an operating system with their legendary reliability. It's not only the US car industry that warrants destruction!

underpressure
Profile for underpressure
Re: Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2006 10:47
Nick Graves wrote:
There are too many problems for solar panels to appear on cars for the foreseeable.

But think of the roof area of Honda's factories!

Then there's Asimo, trickle chargers for electronics...who knows?

What I'd like is for Honda to build a notebook PC with an operating system with their legendary reliability. It's not only the US car industry that warrants destruction!

LINUX!!!

JMU R1
Profile for JMU R1
Re: Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2006 11:26
Solar panels are like a lot of things, they may not be cost effective enough right this minute but that doesn't mean they won't be in the future, it'll just take more development.

I hear people rant about how hybrids don't actually save money all the time as if that is the only reason to have one. But the fact that a lot of consumers are content to do their part in conservation by supporting the development of a new technology is as good a reason as any to buy a hybrid. At least no worse than buying a SUV that you'll rarely need or a sportscar that you will rarely drive faster than 6/10's.

Solar cells may be too expensive now but as the technology develops and economies of scale kick in it could be a useful supplement to more environmentally efficient vehicles.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2006 21:42
JMU R1 wrote:
Solar panels are like a lot of things, they may not be cost effective enough right this minute but that doesn't mean they won't be in the future, it'll just take more development.

I hear people rant about how hybrids don't actually save money all the time as if that is the only reason to have one. But the fact that a lot of consumers are content to do their part in conservation by supporting the development of a new technology is as good a reason as any to buy a hybrid. At least no worse than buying a SUV that you'll rarely need or a sportscar that you will rarely drive faster than 6/10's.

Solar cells may be too expensive now but as the technology develops and economies of scale kick in it could be a useful supplement to more environmentally efficient vehicles.

I fully agree with anything you say JMU but, the thing is that by the time you could put a Solar Panel in your car and get something from it, I hope that Fuel Cell vehicles are a reality. And and I still think that it makes much more sens to use the solar panels in your house to produce the hydrogen you use in your car...

If you look at Honda's developments in the Home Hydrogen Fuelling stations, that's actually what they seem to be planing to do when thinking about their "futur vision".

Smoke_Jaguar4
Profile for Smoke_Jaguar4
Re: Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2006 10:18
Fuel cells, vehicle solar, and a home H2 converter would make the ultimate combination.

In the vehicle a fuel cell would directly convert chemical energy into an electric voltage. This would work perfectly with a solar system directly converting solar energy into an electic voltage. This would then be augmented by a solar (and possibly wind) powered H2* converter at home.

Using solar panels to convert H20 into H2 introduces two innefficiencies:
1. The conversion is not 100% efficient, some of the solar energy would be lost as waste heat.
2. It would take energy to compress the resulting H2 into storage tanks.
This shouldn't reduce the fact that other than the cost of the H2 converter and solar panels, this energy will be free.

*how ironic, an inline ad pushing Hummers in a hybrid/solar energy thread!

JMU R1
Profile for JMU R1
Re: Solar Panels? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2006 17:11
danielgr wrote:
I fully agree with anything you say JMU but, the thing is that by the time you could put a Solar Panel in your car and get something from it, I hope that Fuel Cell vehicles are a reality. And and I still think that it makes much more sens to use the solar panels in your house to produce the hydrogen you use in your car...

If you look at Honda's developments in the Home Hydrogen Fuelling stations, that's actually what they seem to be planing to do when thinking about their "futur vision".

Yeah it would probably make more sense to have an array of solar panels at your house generating hydrogen but that's not to say solar panels on the car couldn't be helpful too. If its at a viable price point there's no reason not to collect and use free energy from the sun.

Either way I hope fuel cells become cost effective sooner than later.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0