[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX pricing?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Important Message
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: The Fine Tradition of English Goalkeeping
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Harley's Demise
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Monaco
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura-when marketing went adrift
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda S660 Modulo X
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mobileye claims their system detected the pedestrian, even with the crappy Uber video as input
Join Discussion......
Integra --> Re: 95 GSR DYNO
Join Discussion......
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Summary of 2006 Mid-Year Speech by CEO Takeo Fukui > > Re: Diesel

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

papapoly
Profile for papapoly
Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 08:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Will Honda build diesel powered cars for the U.S. market? I find this interesting. I was talking to a Toyota rep and asked him the same question about Toyota. He says Toyota has no such plans.
Nakamichi
Profile for Nakamichi
Re: Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 09:32
With "cleaner diesel" already available in parts of US and the advancement in diesel emission control since the horrid image diesel gained in U.S. from the 80's; a wider variety of diesel automobiles may become a reality. I heard the Mercedes E320 CDI and VW TDI both gets really good gas mileage and by looking at the numbers have a MUCH higher amount of torque compared to their gasoline equivalent. I'm sure looking forward to a light-weight, high torque 4-cyl engine with great gas mileage.
papapoly
Profile for papapoly
Re: Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 10:07
Nakamichi wrote:
With "cleaner diesel" already available in parts of US and the advancement in diesel emission control since the horrid image diesel gained in U.S. from the 80's; a wider variety of diesel automobiles may become a reality. I heard the Mercedes E320 CDI and VW TDI both gets really good gas mileage and by looking at the numbers have a MUCH higher amount of torque compared to their gasoline equivalent. I'm sure looking forward to a light-weight, high torque 4-cyl engine with great gas mileage.

Totally agree. Critics of the Biodiesel movement say that the benefits of biodiesel are limited in the U.S. because of the small diesel engine market. If Honda starts building diesel powered cars and trucks that would trump the critics.

PK
Profile for PK
Re: Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 10:07
I just don't get it. When you consider the financial recourses of Toyota and Honda, and the fact that they are both in the lead concerning Hybrid technology, why not bring a diesel Hybrid to the US market??? Diesel fuel has 30% more energy than gas to begin with. I just can not understand why Toyota and Honda are not offering small diesel powered cars in the US. I realize that the US diesel has considerably more sulfur content than Europe, but that will change in the near future. I would absolutely consider a diesel from Toyota or Honda.
RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 10:12
PK wrote:
I just don't get it. When you consider the financial recourses of Toyota and Honda, and the fact that they are both in the lead concerning Hybrid technology, why not bring a diesel Hybrid to the US market??? Diesel fuel has 30% more energy than gas to begin with. I just can not understand why Toyota and Honda are not offering small diesel powered cars in the US. I realize that the US diesel has considerably more sulfur content than Europe, but that will change in the near future. I would absolutely consider a diesel from Toyota or Honda.

I guess you haven't read the news today. Honda is planning to build new 4 and 6 cylinder deisel engines to be introduced into North America in the next three years. The 4's will be used in cars and the 6's will be used in heavier suv/truck/minivan applications.

papapoly
Profile for papapoly
Re: Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 10:13
Diesel electrics make total sense. Pratically all locomotives in the U.S. are Diesel electric.
94sir
Profile for 94sir
Re: Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 11:38
It seems to me unlikely that a v6 diesel will be coming to europe any time soon, unless they plan on putting it in the Legend...an unlikely move unless they can sell it in large numbers in other markets too (the bland Legend will be a flop in Europe, especially as it will be about 10 years old by the time Honda launches it here). So the v6 diesel must be headed for the States...
98EX4cyl
Profile for 98EX4cyl
Re: Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 11:58
Exactly how is locomotive technology relative to cars?
For example: Jets use turbines so thus cars should use turbines, see sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

papapoly
Profile for papapoly
Re: Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 12:00
98EX4cyl wrote:
For example: Jets use turbines so thus cars should use turbines, see sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

The basis of both technologies is the same. Diesel engines that drive generators that charge a bank of batteries that run electric motors that propel the locomotive. It was an analogy dude calm down.

papapoly
Profile for papapoly
Re: Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 12:03
98EX4cyl wrote:

Also your example is not so ridiculous. There are jet powered cars and bicycles. Jay Leno owns a motorcycle powered by a jet turbine. Not at all practical for us regular folk but again these are ideas that are floating around. Think outside the box dude.

Varmint
Profile for Varmint
Re: Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 13:15
RSX wrote:
I guess you haven't read the news today. Honda is planning to build new 4 and 6 cylinder deisel engines to be introduced into North America in the next three years. The 4's will be used in cars and the 6's will be used in heavier suv/truck/minivan applications.

I think we need to be careful interpretting that one. When they say that Honda will introduce a "new" 4 cyl diesel, I think they are just talking about the same 2.2L unit from the UK. The only "new" thing about it will be enhanced emissions hardware and tuning.

RayChuang
Profile for RayChuang
Re: Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 14:46
RSX wrote:

I can see a new 3.0 to 3.2-liter turbodiesel for the Honda Ridgeline truck, Honda Odyssey minivan, Honda Pilot SUV and Acura MDX SUV by calendar year 2008. The I-4 turbodiesel engine will probably be an improved variant or successor to the 2.2-liter i-CTDi engine now sold in Europe, and will likely find applications in the Honda CR-V small SUV, Honda Element small SUV and the Honda Accord sedan. Of course, the engines will meet the CARB 2007 and EPA Tier 2 to Tier 5 standards for exhaust emissions.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2006 08:14
94sir wrote:
It seems to me unlikely that a v6 diesel will be coming to europe any time soon, unless they plan on putting it in the Legend...an unlikely move unless they can sell it in large numbers in other markets too (the bland Legend will be a flop in Europe, especially as it will be about 10 years old by the time Honda launches it here). So the v6 diesel must be headed for the States...

The bland Legend will be a flop in Europe even with the V6 Diesel. Without it, they might as well not even bother.

civic_cx_92
Profile for civic_cx_92
Re: Diesel [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-18-2006 16:48
We just need to wait until EPA gets its act together on Super Clean Diesel fuel. Then refineries to manufacture them.

Before California bans all new diesel cars.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0