[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > RealTime Drift entry set for Road Atlanta debut > > Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Kn1ves
Profile for Kn1ves
s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 12:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
honda needs to make another car that can compete against 240sx's rx-7s truenos.. u know something with a hard top..
shingles
Profile for shingles
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 13:16
Kn1ves wrote:
honda needs to make another car that can compete against 240sx's rx-7s truenos.. u know something with a hard top..

Just to drift? please....

zapata
Profile for zapata
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 14:52
F-t-F strikes again....
GrandPrixWhite00
Profile for GrandPrixWhite00
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 14:54
Hmm...how about one of RTR's retired supercharged NSX's? That should meet torque requirements.
CD5acrd
Profile for CD5acrd
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 16:38
S2000 lacks the torque and the diff has a tendancey to fail because of harsh usage like drift driving. That being said It would be interersting to see Honda produce more FR performace cars but right now there is no reason for them to. AE86 Corolla is a distant memory for those of use that rember the 1980s since the last FR Corollas where sold in 1987. The second most popular car in drifting, Nissan's S chassis cars 180SX/200SX/240SX/Silvia/Sil80 also have been out of production for the since the introduction of the Z and Nissan pulled the plug on the 240SX almost a decade ago. Nissan shows no signs of trying to bring back the S car either. It would probably make more sense for Nissan to bring back the SX than for Honda to produce a 240SX competitor. But it would be interesting if they did. I'll take mine with a fastback body and a DOHC i-VTEC inline5. :)
siegen
Profile for siegen
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 18:49
Kn1ves wrote:

I'll bet plenty of people think a front wheel drive family sedan (TSX) isn't the best platform to go against RWD BMW's and Mazda RX8's, but they are, and holding their own. The S2000 isn't a hard top, but due to some special chassis design, doesn't suffer from chassis stiffness problems like other cars (I know I read about it somewhere...).

LudegarH22A7
Profile for LudegarH22A7
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 20:08
yeah... don't doubt the X-bone chassis... as for the diff, c'mon folks...

siegen wrote:
Kn1ves wrote:

I'll bet plenty of people think a front wheel drive family sedan (TSX) isn't the best platform to go against RWD BMW's and Mazda RX8's, but they are, and holding their own. The S2000 isn't a hard top, but due to some special chassis design, doesn't suffer from chassis stiffness problems like other cars (I know I read about it somewhere...).

Kn1ves
Profile for Kn1ves
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2006 01:00
siegen wrote:

Drift and grip are very different competitions, mind telling me why they dont run the RS*R S2000 anymore?

I dont know, realtime can go bastardize the s2000 and all honda engineering that was put into it as a great handling car.

wonder why realtime doesnt bother putting s2000 in a road course like they do with the tsx and the rsx now that theyre running with honda badges anyway

watermelonman
Profile for watermelonman
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2006 11:08
Kn1ves wrote:

But the drift kids can't affort new cars, and by the time this hypothetical Honda is as cheap as a used 240 the fad will be long since over.

Kn1ves
Profile for Kn1ves
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2006 11:22
watermelonman wrote:
But the drift kids can't affort new cars, and by the time this hypothetical Honda is as cheap as a used 240 the fad will be long since over.

Ive never heard of a fad lasting over 5 years...

but whatever you say boss. I guess people just dont understand, or dont want to.

Watch, once honda jumps the gun and makes a nice FR platform for drift, youll all jump onto the bandwagon.

(imagine how potent the Prelude would have been at drifting if honda didnt make it FF)

JMU R1
Profile for JMU R1
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2006 11:29
Kn1ves wrote:
wonder why realtime doesnt bother putting s2000 in a road course like they do with the tsx and the rsx now that theyre running with honda badges anyway

S2000 is a 'tweener class car. Doesn't fit the rules for touring (only 2 seats) and is too slow for GT. The only place it would fit is maybe Grand Am Cup ST but that request got denied due to politics.

Chris_pnoy
Profile for Chris_pnoy
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-13-2006 01:30
I believe the RSR S2000 crashed.

Anyway, domestic cars rule that anyway with their strong engines and stuff....

Besides, how are they bastardizing the car? They're showing how excellent it is and how it can compete on MULTIPLE levels. There already is a class for fast 2-seaters and thats where the Realtime NSX was.

Kn1ves
Profile for Kn1ves
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-13-2006 02:37
Im sure it can compete, but can it win?
shingles
Profile for shingles
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2006 16:22
Kn1ves wrote:
watermelonman wrote:

but whatever you say boss. I guess people just dont understand, or dont want to.

Watch, once honda jumps the gun and makes a nice FR platform for drift, youll all jump onto the bandwagon.

(imagine how potent the Prelude would have been at drifting if honda didnt make it FF)

you are right, I don't understand...
while I have great appreciation for the skill it requires to drift a car in these contests, I choose to spend my time doing other things, ie road racing.

And, why would any manufacturer build a car specifically for drifting? Let's think about this for a second here.... really.
You keep implying somehow that Honda doesn't have a "proper" drift chassis... as far as I know, FR is pretty much the requirement here... The S2000 doesn't make for a good drift mainly because the stock engine lacks the low end torque that really helps. But then, it's nothing a supercharger or turbo charger won't fix. It's not like any of the Formula D cars are really all that stock. Those S13/S14's aren't running on stock KA engines...

No, no matter what honda does, I won't jump on the bandwagon... Honda has been kicking ass in motor cycles, and I haven't bought one yet or follow their races.

You like drifting, great... but there's really no reason to try and pound it into those of us that don't.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-15-2006 17:29
shingles wrote:
Kn1ves wrote:
watermelonman wrote:

you are right, I don't understand...
while I have great appreciation for the skill it requires to drift a car in these contests, I choose to spend my time doing other things, ie road racing.

And, why would any manufacturer build a car specifically for drifting? Let's think about this for a second here.... really.
You keep implying somehow that Honda doesn't have a "proper" drift chassis... as far as I know, FR is pretty much the requirement here... The S2000 doesn't make for a good drift mainly because the stock engine lacks the low end torque that really helps. But then, it's nothing a supercharger or turbo charger won't fix. It's not like any of the Formula D cars are really all that stock. Those S13/S14's aren't running on stock KA engines...

No, no matter what honda does, I won't jump on the bandwagon... Honda has been kicking ass in motor cycles, and I haven't bought one yet or follow their races.

You like drifting, great... but there's really no reason to try and pound it into those of us that don't.

At Drift Atlanta there was a 350Z convertible out there with a Titan V8 in it. And a 240sx with a front clip from a '79 or '80 firebird. The RSR S2000 had no trouble drifting at all. The AEM and RTR S2000s weren't quite as impressive but they were in fact drifting.

I was talking to Peter Cunningham and he said the mechanics on the team have been joking around how their job is to make the S2000 NOT handle.

Last edited by JeffX on 05-15-2006 17:30
tony speed
Profile for tony speed
Re: s2k isnt the best platform for drifting [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-17-2006 11:43
watermelonman wrote:
Kn1ves wrote:

using condescending terms like "drift kids" is very ignorant. In both america and japan, those who are best at drifting have long motorsports backgrounds in other forms of racing....

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0