[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > RealTime Drift entry set for Road Atlanta debut > > Re: Marketing move?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

2TSX
Profile for 2TSX
Marketing move? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 13:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
It seems like Honda wants more exposure with the tuner crowd for street cred. (Who can blame them) And maybe this has something to do with upcoming Fast & Furious Tokyo DRIFT...
Even though the s2000 might not be the best drifting setup, its a contrived sport. Its all fun & games right?

Honda F1 Racing
Profile for Honda F1 Racing
Re: Marketing move? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 13:27
2TSX wrote:
It seems like Honda wants more exposure with the tuner crowd for street cred. (Who can blame them) And maybe this has something to do with upcoming Fast & Furious Tokyo DRIFT...
Even though the s2000 might not be the best drifting setup, its a contrived sport. Its all fun & games right?

Who knows? However, Honda has already helped RSR when they debuted their Honda S2000 drifter a year or so ago. So this is not a first or anything.

On another note...seriously, drifting is NOT motorsport.

Honda-D
Profile for Honda-D
Re: Marketing move? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 13:30
Honda F1 Racing wrote:
Who knows? However, Honda has already helped RSR when they debuted their Honda S2000 drifter a year or so ago. So this is not a first or anything.

On another note...seriously, drifting is NOT motorsport.

I think they tried to tell figure skaters, dancers that as well. In the age where even poker is a sport, anything else could be.

2TSX
Profile for 2TSX
Re: Marketing move? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 14:10
I think the best way to put it is this:

Drifting is stunt driving.

It's certainly a skill, and can be competitive. A valid skill? I dare not attempt to answer such a query.
Call it a sport, a competition, a contest, its all stunt driving.
Who knows, maybe its an art form, making cars dance and move in creative and atypical ways. But then what is art?...
Yes, I shall sojurn to Japan to discover the true roots of drifting and uncover the secrets of this modern mystical art. While I'm there I will score some rare JDM artifacts for my ride.

kidoairaku
Profile for kidoairaku
Re: Marketing move? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 17:32
drifting is not? how is racing around a set course with controlled slides not a sport, while racing around the same course with grip considered a sport?

what about racing around in oval tracks? what about 1/4 miles? (oddly enough, I dont consider these two a sport, sorry nascar and funny car fans... you need to shift, brake and turn to be considered real racing in my books.)

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Marketing move? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 18:18
kidoairaku wrote:
drifting is not? how is racing around a set course with controlled slides not a sport, while racing around the same course with grip considered a sport?

what about racing around in oval tracks? what about 1/4 miles? (oddly enough, I dont consider these two a sport, sorry nascar and funny car fans... you need to shift, brake and turn to be considered real racing in my books.)

Please explain to me how one wins a drift competition? Do they score based on how long you can drift? It certainly can't be timed, or else you would just drive around the course like a normal race driver. Drifting is far slower than normal driving.

Ryan

BIG-JG
Profile for BIG-JG
Re: Marketing move? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-11-2006 21:19
Depending on how well you drift.. the line the speed the turning angle ect... i think... not really sure tho..
but there is two type of drift. show drift and high speed drift. Show drift of course is for show and they are slow .. burn allot of tire just to look cool... but high speed drift is a different story.. they are just as fast as grip even faster under certain condition. but high speed drift is much harder to do . And in a race having a different line then your opponent wile entering a corner, give you more chance to over take. on those mountain road in Japan where hair pin corner is abundant.. Drifting thru is much faster..( INITIAL D) lol.. that’s where drifting come form lol..

Kn1ves
Profile for Kn1ves
Re: Marketing move? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2006 01:30
RyanDL wrote:
kidoairaku wrote:

Please explain to me how one wins a drift competition? Do they score based on how long you can drift? It certainly can't be timed, or else you would just drive around the course like a normal race driver. Drifting is far slower than normal driving.

Ryan

they have a thing called a drift box that calculates the angle of drift, the speed, line of attack, fact that u didnt lose the drift, etc. Hitting other people means elimination. You need to understand that its not about racing and who can go fastest, but who can initiate a better drift, hold it and attack ur opponent that the same time

kidoairaku
Profile for kidoairaku
Re: Marketing move? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2006 09:03
There are different rules to drifting... in certain classes you can win by passing the opponant while you are drifting. In some Drifting competitions each driver is pitted against each other in the same technical course that can also be timed. (there's a minimum speed, minimum drift period rule.)

but I see where you are going, a motorsport has to have a clear winner thats not subjective? yeah, I can accept your view on that...

I dont need the winner to be objective to be considered a sport.

JMU R1
Profile for JMU R1
Re: Marketing move? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-12-2006 10:25
kidoairaku wrote:

Drifting is not racing. A race is where the singular goal is to finish first. I could stretch and call drifting a motorsport, since it is a competition that involves motorized vehicles.

On the speed of drifting, bottom line is that drifting on tarmac is almost ALWAYS slower than driving the normal racing line. The only exception is on something like a tarmac rally where there are hairpins that are so tight that its faster to slide so you can get the wheels straight and get on the power than it is to take the normal racing line.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0