[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
RDX --> Re: Drove one over the weekend...
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic Interior first picture
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: '19 Variations on the CTR?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 10th generation Accord Mk2 - niggles fixed with minor tweaks!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Aragon MotoGP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A big finger to handbrake turns
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ford "pulls an Acura" in their latest commercial
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mazda CX-5 to get 2.5 Turbo Engine?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Custom Paint Job Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Inspire test drive video
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: My possible Civic plans

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
KaySee
Profile for KaySee
My possible Civic plans    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2006 12:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some insightful input. I've been pondering my decision on these boards for a little while and I think I have come to a near final conclusion.

First of all I'm in Canada. So the new Si costs 26k without tax and comes to about 30k or so all in. The exchange rate should have the car at around 23k but for whatever economic reasons this is not the case. Anyways I love the car but I think I may go for an EX 5MT coupe which is almost 4k less.

This post boils down to the fact that I think I would want to use SOME of the savings including insurance and gas to put the EX more inbetween the standard civics and the SI. I stress that I am not trying to make an Si...just a sportier EX.

I'm thinking out loud here, nothing is final. Its just gas prices plus Canadian price gouging equals an annoyed me. If my money changes maybe so will my mind we'll see.

matthewshull
Profile for matthewshull
Re: My possible Civic plans    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2006 13:08
Take a look at your driving style and see which car matches it.

The EX and Si have very different characters as evidence by all the complaining about the DBW in the Si. I haven't seen anybody complain about the DBW in an EX, LX or DX. The Si is rev-happy & the EX will rev when asked. Big difference!

Set up a feature for feature review of each car, side-by-side, and see if there are features in the Si that the EX doesn't have and vice-versa. Are these features deal-breakers or are they just "would be nice to haves?"

Sounds to me like you would be happier in an EX. :-)

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: My possible Civic plans    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2006 13:31
Thanks for the response matthew. Appreciate the input. If I lived in the states things may have been different.

I'll have to test drive them to decide i think. I'm sure the Si will make me weep...but so do the gas prices. It's the eternal battle between my wallet and my lust for speed. If I can add about 10 to 15hp to the EX I think I'll be satisfied.

It's a compromise for sure considering how great the new Si is...so I may go to the Si in the end. Thanks again.

Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: My possible Civic plans    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2006 13:41
Tough choice but if you drive conservativily the Si should be very good on gas...premium tho.....=(

The canadain price gouging is not as bad on the civics and accords as it is on cars like S2000 -12000 markup after conversion

M3-15000....the list goes on and on....

The lower the car name on the economy scale the lower the gouging.

sport15
Profile for sport15
Re: My possible Civic plans    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2006 13:41
Hi, Kaysee,
I bought an '06 Si, and I can tell you that anSi and an Ex are entirely different animals. If you want a capable, around town car, buy the Ex. But if you want a true sports car with incredible handling, go for the Si.I replaced the stock Michelins with Goodyear F1-DS-G3's, and this thing is amazing in the corners. You have to be willing to work to get the most out of this motor,though. The cam profiles don't change 'til about 6000 rpm, but once you're there, oh my god.
This is an awesome car that your wife can lug around town,(as my wife does), but you can go out and have a blast in.

Scott

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: My possible Civic plans    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2006 14:05
Very true poweredbyhonda, the mark ups get bad as the car gets more expensive. It really sucks haha...sigh.

Hey scott I believe you man. It seems that the Si is a ton of fun from what I've heard. A test drive ought to make things more concrete for me.

However if I ended up with an EX I would either get the HFP suspension or an aftermarket one. I know some people, and I'm not too bad, so I can get free labour most likely. And lastly I might do a cat back exhaust and one other engine mod depending on availability. Straight line speed wouldn't match up with the Si but it would handle really well and maybe be around GS-R speed after lightening the car. Maybe. That would be a goal actually.

Anyways... I wouldn't leave the EX stock. But I wouldn't go so crazy as to warrant buying an Si in the first place. I'm looking for the medium between straight economy and sportiness. Faster and better handling than a reg. civic but not bumping in to Si territory. Something like that.

sport15
Profile for sport15
Re: My possible Civic plans    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2006 15:08
Hey, Kaysee,

If you do go with the EX, find out if the springs from the Si will fit, as I'm just waiting for either the Eibach or HFP springs to become available. Not sure which I'll go with, but the Si springs on an EX should help a lot, if they fit. I'd be willing to sell them to you cheap. Anyway, good luck and whichever way you go, you'll be fine.

Scott

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: My possible Civic plans    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2006 22:26
sport15 wrote:
Hey, Kaysee,

If you do go with the EX, find out if the springs from the Si will fit, as I'm just waiting for either the Eibach or HFP springs to become available. Not sure which I'll go with, but the Si springs on an EX should help a lot, if they fit. I'd be willing to sell them to you cheap. Anyway, good luck and whichever way you go, you'll be fine.

Scott

Thanks scott I'll look in to it, that definitely sounds interesting. I'll try and get some time to test drive this weekend. Thanks again

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: My possible Civic plans    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2006 22:28
If anyone knows if this spring swap is doable from Si to EX feel free to chime in...I was originally thinking of the HFP suspension if I were to get the EX but who knows what i'll do...
blu
Profile for blu
Re: My possible Civic plans    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2006 22:35
matthewshull wrote:
Take a look at your driving style and see which car matches it.

The EX and Si have very different characters as evidence by all the complaining about the DBW in the Si. I haven't seen anybody complain about the DBW in an EX, LX or DX. The Si is rev-happy & the EX will rev when asked. Big difference!

Set up a feature for feature review of each car, side-by-side, and see if there are features in the Si that the EX doesn't have and vice-versa. Are these features deal-breakers or are they just "would be nice to haves?"

Sounds to me like you would be happier in an EX. :-)

Huh? You make it sound as if the Si is TERRIBLE because of the DBW...that's only one side to the story. The other side is that the DBW gets less noticeable with more driving. You'll also become more and more used to it the more you drive it. Even before break-in, it's not THAT huge of a deal.

To the original poster, if you want to make the EX sportier, try some suspension changes and maybe a lighter battery. I prefer the handling of the Mazda3 to the Civic, but with some tweaking, the Civic will feel a lot tighter.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: My possible Civic plans    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2006 12:25
We all know the Si is a sweet car despite DBW grumblings. I think it depends on the person how they react to the system. Some are really annoyed, some don't care. I'll have to see where I fall.

And yeah I would definitely work on the suspension and engine a bit. If I got one my goal would be like gs-r straight line speed with excellent handling. I'd have to check costs out first tho.

eragon06
Profile for eragon06
Re: My possible Civic plans    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2006 02:00
Indulge the idiot(That would be me)....What does DBW mean?
pogi_ako
Profile for pogi_ako
Re: My possible Civic plans    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2006 02:08
Drive
By
Wire

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0