[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0 touring or TLX V6 Tech FWD
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: CEL problems
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: 2019 Acura RLX
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Le CitroŽn Clarite FCDS
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: Honda Passport prototype caught in Los Angeles
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Boeing, Airbus, GE, & Aerospace Leaders Confirm Electric Flight
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: '08 Honda Leather
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > Reader's Report: 17000 miles with a 2006 Honda Civic > > Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Sledge
Profile for Sledge
36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-11-2006 09:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
My last tank was 50.1 MPG. My current tank is going to be somewhere between 52 and 55 MPG. 36? Was the driver auto-x'ing the car?

I haven't had the wind noise problem (knock on wood). The worst part of the car is the craptacular Dunlop SP31 tires. They have no traction in the rain or snow. Honda has a track record of fitting crappy tires to their lower end vehicles. My 2k1 Civic had Firestone FR690's. Absolute junk. I'm glad it snowed the night before I took delivery of my Hybrid. I took it to some unplowed back roads and I instantly knew these tires had to go. I put on a set of Nokian WR's and I haven't looked back. No change in mileage and great traction in all weather conditions.

The only problem the car has had so far is the 62 mile bug. Every 62 miles (approx 100 km), the trip computer loses all its MPG data. I just took it to the dealer yesterday to fix that problem. I haven't driven it more than 62 miles yet but my fingers are crossed. If you have this bug, tell your dealer you need product update 06-013 (tachometer gauge control module).

DaveM
Profile for DaveM
Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-11-2006 10:21
He is reviewing the civic ex sedan, not the hybrid. the lack of turn-signal lights on the side mirrors gives it away.
Sledge
Profile for Sledge
Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-11-2006 10:27
On the first page, the author mentions two other reviews for the HCH2. The second review gave the 36 figure.
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-11-2006 12:07
On this point I would like to continue my diatribe on hybrids. Hybrids that save gas are disgustingly slow (prius and civic) they are so slow that they are almost dangerous, passing 18 wheelers on a two lane highway is essentailly a suicidal proposition for those 2. Since the cars are so slow, this prompts the driver to continually step on the gas as if the foot could go through the firewall, thus eliminating most of the purported savings you can get.
On the other hand, extra juice hybrids like the accord and RX400 cost thousands of dollars extra for meager gas savings, for example the TL easily provides 25 mpg combined while still being faster than accord hybrid, the RX 400 is faster than the regular RX and slightly thriftier but its handlling is atrocious and costs almost ten K more than the non hybrid version.
Hybrids are another image vehicle that has essentially no use compared to its normal counterparts, its the same stupidity as buying a full sized SUV to drive around Manhattan but with a green tint to the multicolored glasses.

Sledge
Profile for Sledge
Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-11-2006 12:23
6SPDTL wrote:
On this point I would like to continue my diatribe on hybrids. Hybrids that save gas are disgustingly slow (prius and civic) they are so slow that they are almost dangerous, passing 18 wheelers on a two lane highway is essentailly a suicidal proposition for those 2. Since the cars are so slow, this prompts the driver to continually step on the gas as if the foot could go through the firewall, thus eliminating most of the purported savings you can get.
On the other hand, extra juice hybrids like the accord and RX400 cost thousands of dollars extra for meager gas savings, for example the TL easily provides 25 mpg combined while still being faster than accord hybrid, the RX 400 is faster than the regular RX and slightly thriftier but its handlling is atrocious and costs almost ten K more than the non hybrid version.
Hybrids are another image vehicle that has essentially no use compared to its normal counterparts, its the same stupidity as buying a full sized SUV to drive around Manhattan but with a green tint to the multicolored glasses.

Funny, I have no problem keeping up with traffic and still maintaining 50+ mpg over several trips.

And your comparison of a TL to an RX400h is much like comparing an apple to an orange. (Hint: it is possible to retune a hybrid system for more performance instead of more fuel economy).

Maybe your diatribe needs a little work?

6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-11-2006 14:05
Another poster that needs a reading comprehension course! I was comparing the TL to the Accord hybrid, the RX 400 is simply there as an example of another "performance hybrid".
shingles
Profile for shingles
Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-11-2006 14:09
The new civic hybrid gets 0-60 in sub 10 seconds. That's really not that slow.
What you are reflecting on your post is more of your own personal driving style then fact. The fact is, people driving hybrids aren't that interested in flooring it. Additionally once you reach the speed you want, you don't have to "go through the firewall" to maintain speed. It's funny, people bitch and moan about the Ridgeline's fuel mileage. Yet I have no trouble averageing 19mpg in houston rush hour traffic.

Cost aside - I don't see how hybrids as implemented in the civic or prius is of "essentially no use compared to it's normal countersparts". The fact remains, the civic hybrid does get better mpg then the regular civics.

Sledge
Profile for Sledge
Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-11-2006 14:33
Whatever. All I know is this: you say hybrids aren't worth it, yet Honda and Toyota turn out hundreds of thousands of them every year. So who do I listen to: an internet know-it-all wannabe, or multi-billion corporations who put their money where there mouths are?
zapata
Profile for zapata
Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-11-2006 15:27
funny how you talk about knowing what the FE is off hybrid cars that you don't even own. Anything else you'd like to comment on? What's space flight like? Time travel??

6SPDTL wrote:

MiYoshi
Profile for MiYoshi
Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-11-2006 16:22
"Hybrids that save gas are disgustingly slow (prius and civic) they are so slow that they are almost dangerous, passing 18 wheelers on a two lane highway is essentailly a suicidal proposition for those 2."

Hmm . . . 13,000 miles on my HCH, with numerous freeway mergings/passing in the L.A. area with a ton of semis, I have yet to endure what you describe. Just because the acceleration isn't TL-like doesn't make passing in a hybrid suicidal. BTW, there is a "Sport" option on the CVT if you feel you really need the power. Another thing, you would only eliminate your gas savings if you kept the car at WOT all the time- not necessary, even for the hybrid.

siegen
Profile for siegen
Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-11-2006 18:34
You both have valid points. He isn't saying Hybrids aren't worth it, he is saying they lack power, and if you go WOT a lot to go fast, then your mileage will be poor. It really depends on where you drive, the kinds of roads, and your patience.
zapata
Profile for zapata
Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-11-2006 23:07
I guess when you live life a quarter mile at a time you really need the extra power the TL has so you get the most out of it.

MiYoshi wrote:
"Hybrids that save gas are disgustingly slow (prius and civic) they are so slow that they are almost dangerous, passing 18 wheelers on a two lane highway is essentailly a suicidal proposition for those 2."

Hmm . . . 13,000 miles on my HCH, with numerous freeway mergings/passing in the L.A. area with a ton of semis, I have yet to endure what you describe. Just because the acceleration isn't TL-like doesn't make passing in a hybrid suicidal. BTW, there is a "Sport" option on the CVT if you feel you really need the power. Another thing, you would only eliminate your gas savings if you kept the car at WOT all the time- not necessary, even for the hybrid.

Sledge
Profile for Sledge
Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-12-2006 08:02
zapata wrote:
I guess when you live life a quarter mile at a time you really need the extra power the TL has so you get the most out of it.

Haha. My TL is 2 Fast and 2 Furious!1!1 :P

RSX Idiot
Profile for RSX Idiot
Re: 36 MPG for the hybrid? Pathetic [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-12-2006 17:20
6SPDTL wrote:
Hybrids that save gas are disgustingly slow (prius and civic) they are so slow that they are almost dangerous, passing 18 wheelers on a two lane highway is essentailly a suicidal proposition for those 2. Since the cars are so slow, this prompts the driver to continually step on the gas as if the foot could go through the firewall, thus eliminating most of the purported savings you can get.

Hmm... I just drove a Toyota Prius 300 miles on Highway 1 on the California coast. With three passengers and a trunk full of gear, I passed 18 wheelers on the narrow two lane road and lived to tell the tale! I averaged 48 mpg on the trip.

Granted, the Prius is not as responsive as my Acura RSX, but it's not "dangerous" either. And, as gas prices inch back up to $3/gallon, I definitely enjoyed gettting 48 mpg.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0