[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: NAKAMOTO VOL 94

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
Toy yoda
Profile for Toy yoda
Nakamoto report-Vol91    (Score: 2, Informative) 04-05-2006 11:03
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Q-Was the engine broken suddenly?
It happened suddenly. The car could have run cross the finish line by the force of inertia, but we let the car stop. If Button had finished at 6th and we replaced the engine, he would get 10 grid position penalty in next race. We are now investigating the cause of the engine failure.

Q- Your race pace did not improve because of tire heating problem?
We have had cold tire problem in first place, and it got worsen when the safety car came in. The car had low grip in a first few laps after the race start. Once the tire got heat, the safety car came in, and the tire was cooled down again. It was repeated two times, and soon after the safety car was gone, Alonso and Raikkonen passed him. At third safety car, the tire was still cold, and he had no choice but was passed by the cars from behind. In addition, he had terrible graining in rear tire of second set and his lap time did not improve. The cold tire problem was directly resulted in the race result, and it is our current assignment to get heat in tire in short time.

Q-The tire had difficulty in getting heat because the road surface was too cold?
The surface temperature was close to 30C when Button did the qualifying lap. In overall, the temperature was almost same during the race, but it was around 25C only in the beginning of the race. When the safe car came in, the situation got worse. In the qualifying, we set the pressure of tire and tire warmer higher to make the tire get the heat faster. But, we cannot let the car run nearly 20 laps with such condition. In that sense, the situation was different from the qualifying. We can cover up this problem in the qualifying, but it affects directly the race pace in bad way. This race was exactly like it. For the past three races, I have been repeating the same things, but it is our priority to solve the cold tire issue.
Ruben run almost as scheduled, but he had break control problem. It is getting better, but the problem emerged as he run long distance. When he run behind Takuma, he could not pass him because he had difficulty in controlling the break. We wanted him to get bit higher position.

Q-Dou you think you can solve these problems in certain degree in next three weeks?
The tire temperature can get higher just by increasing downforce. We plan to try such thing. Compared with Renault, we still lack the downforce. We used to try to balance it by using mechanical grip, but lack of downforce is resulted in lack of tire grip. We plan to try aero improvements and the engine version up in next race at Imola.

timstr
Profile for timstr
Re: Nakamoto report-Vol91    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-05-2006 13:41
Thanks Toy Yoda.

I hope the aero improvements will be massive.
I wonder if the new tunnel is already in use.

Isamu77
Profile for Isamu77
Re: Nakamoto report-Vol91    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-05-2006 18:32
Thank you very much Toy Yoda
Asimo F1 pilot
Profile for Asimo F1 pilot
Re: Nakamoto report-Vol91    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2006 07:24
VoL. 92 is there , toyoda?
timstr
Profile for timstr
Nakamoto report Vol 92    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2006 08:44
*bump*
Toy yoda
Profile for Toy yoda
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 92    (Score: 2, Informative) 04-15-2006 10:21
How to solve the tire heating problem- part 1

Q- At Valleunga test, you were working on the problem encountered at Australia GP.

Our biggest problem is the tire heating . We tried to solve it by changing the setting of the car. For example, we changed the camber, toe (like changing the wheel angle) and the tire pressure. The tire temperature went up, but the balance of the car got worse by changing the setting. It has no meaning if we lose the cornering speed even the tire gets warmed up. In this sense, it was the mixed result. However, we were able to find the point that the both tire temperature and the car balance can be maintained at certain extent by changing the car setting. We still have not found the fundamental solution for the situation that our tire is 10C colder than Renault though.

Q- Does the tire have difficulty in getting heat when the car just starts? or does the tire temperature tend to stay low while the car is running?

Our tire temperature for both rear and front is lower than the Renault while running. But, the car can match their speed as long as we run in usual race even with that condition. In other words, the Renaultfs tire temperature tend to be too high or over-heated.

Q-That is why you think you have a chance to win if the road surface temperature is high enough.

Yes. The way the tire gets warm is not bad. We set the tire warmer at 80C on the grid just before the race. The tire temperature goes up further with the pressure from cornering while the car is running. The way tire gets warm is the same as the Renault by that point @The biggest difference is the way Alonso warms up the tire when the car ‚“tarts. It is different from any others. He shakes the car left and right aggressively. Can our car be shook that aggressively? With this test, we know that the car is fine even it is shook more aggressively to warm the tire than Button did.@But it cannot be shook as aggressively as Alonso did.

To be continuedc.

Neilap
Profile for Neilap
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 92    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2006 11:31
Very interesting last paragraph. Alonso's car is so stable that he can warm up his tires in ways few others can. I think its a reflection on FA and Renaults ability to give him to tools he needs. Obviously the Mac cant warm the tires that way either as illustrated by JPM. Maybe JB does know how to drive the car after all, imagine that!
Nakamoto's remarks did not sound very positive to me. The drivers comments did not seem particularly positive either. Their times in testing dont show much progress either but its just that. I am sure some of the teams were running on fumes even MS suggested that.
Well I hope its unusually hot in Imola and for the rest of the year till we find a solution.

SonyFever
Profile for SonyFever
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 92    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2006 12:40
Nakamoto is super honest. Very interesting read and thank you agian, Toyoda.
Asimo F1 pilot
Profile for Asimo F1 pilot
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 92    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2006 13:48
Very interesting read and thank you
HONDA FANATIC
Profile for HONDA FANATIC
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 92    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2006 14:47
10 degree celcius between us and victory. how sad ...... :-/
timstr
Profile for timstr
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 92    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2006 16:07
The forecast for Imola is for very low temperatures. If the race stays clean Honda can have a good run.
However, I believe the problem also manifests itself after a pit stop. Getting the tires back up to temperature after the first stint will again be an issue.
Hats off to Renault to have such a fantastic car which proofs very hard to beat.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 92    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2006 16:49
I don't think its that the car is so stable - I think its the electronics. Watching the videos, I said to myself, "there is no way any human driver can do what Alonso is doing repeatedly and consistently." He was hard on the gas throwing the car side to side at nearly full lock for 5-7 oscillations.

I think Renault's traction (and stability?) control is far better than anyone thinks, and we've all pretty much acknowledged that they are best there is in F1.

SC

Neilap
Profile for Neilap
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 92    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2006 21:04
Very good point. I did not think of that. The way the car launches and handles does illustrate your point.
Toy yoda
Profile for Toy yoda
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 93    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2006 10:29
How to solve the tire heating problem- part 2

Q-I see the car can match Renaults pace as long as you run in usual race. So, why did not your pace improve at Australia GP?

That is because the tire temperature dropped suddenly when the safety car came in and the car had to run at low speed. The temperature dropped to about 40C then. It was very difficult to raise the temperature once it dropped to that level. There is big difference in raising the temperature from 80C when the race starts and 40C after the safety car was out. There is 40C difference. It was like driving on ice for F1 with such low temperature. It is very slippery . It takes many laps to raise the temperature because the cornering speed does not improve as a result.

Q- But, Renault’s tire warmed soon.

We can warm the rear tire by intentionally rotating it. But, the problem is front tire. Alonso can shake the car aggressively to warm the tire, so his tire was already higher than us when the safety car left. We learned how to warm up the tire in the way similar to Alonso at Valleunga and Barcelona tests. It is expected to be cool weather at Imora, but I hope that we can make the most from this test result.

Q-The tire temperature is low while the car is running compared to Renault. Is it because of the lack of downforce?

Yes. It is the biggest reason. We know that the temperature goes up once the car gets the downforce. It is like the tire temperature problem is the reflection of the lack of downforce. There is that difference in downforce between us and them. In other words, our pace can match them in race because the mechanical grip is covering for the lack of downforce. It is highly possible that our mechanical side is superior than Renault.

Q-Do you think the other teams like Mclaren is facing the tire heating problem?

At Melbourne, Alonso passed Button easily, but it took a while for Raikkonen to pass him. I think they are suffering from the same problem in certain extent. Toward the end of the race, there was 1 to 2 second gap between Raikkonen and Alonso, but Raikkonen closed the gap with him after about 4 laps after the safety car left. Alonso was cruising, but I think Raikkonen could improve the lap time because he got proper grip as the tire warm up. I say that only Renault is special in terms of the tire temperature at least for now. Their initial temperature is high, and the car characteristic can warm up the tire easily. We are the worst of top 3 teams in terms of the lack of downforce and tire heating. But, the gap with Maclaren is narrowing . We learned from this test that we can maintain the temperature by changing the way the car runs and the car is still okay with it.

magueto
Profile for magueto
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 93    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2006 10:49
Hey Toy yoda, thanks a lot for your translations.

I like this reports because Nakamoto look like a honest guy and he says what the problems are.

Is a good info for the fans.

330R
Profile for 330R
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 93    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2006 14:14
Toy yoda, thank you much. :)
SonyFever
Profile for SonyFever
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 93    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2006 05:00
Thanks Toyyoda. Great read.

Sad to learn it's always the aero that let us down...

"Without wings, you can never fly."

WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 93    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2006 07:19
Yes, great work Toy yoda.

I feel this aero thing is being overbeaten to death. I think every team has its weakness and for Honda F1, it just so happens to be the aero. So we shouldn't make a big fuss out of it. Yes, it may be our weakness but we shouldn't just blame everything on it and then lay all our hopes that once we get the aero 'sorted out', we will fly. It's all a matter of making the best out of what we have and minimizing whatever weakness we have to work with. No car can be perfect. The Renaults for e.g. is reported to have tremendous understeer. But somehow they managed to work around it and come out with a fantastic package. So, too for Honda F1, it seems that they have managed to get the mechanical grip up to compensate for the lack of aero downforce. To me, its a matter of gradually fine tuning the car and I am confident that very soon, despite this supposed aero deficiency, we will have a very fast car, enough to challenge even the Renaults.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 93    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2006 08:42
I agree. The main problem last race was getting heat into the tires and it looks like they have found a fix with the chassis set up. The mechanical grip seems to be way up since last year because we have not heard JB say anything about it...remember last year after every race "we need more grip".
Neilap
Profile for Neilap
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 93    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2006 09:27
These reports seem like some of the only honest and real HondaF1 news. We are definitely privileged to have it.

I am not so sure that we have found a fix, its more like a compromise. Hopefully it keeps us on the podium. I feel that RB's performances are as detrimental to the team right now as the lack of aero efficiency. We would be ahead of Ferrari had he been up to task. Anyway, both aspects are being addressed. Imola is a track that depends more on mechanical grip so it suits our car very well. Hopefully we get at least one driver on the podium and the other in the top 5. This could be a huge race for us if it all goes well.

soniccar
Profile for soniccar
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 93    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2006 09:41
sounds like we need some really hot races. I'll bet places like Monaco will keep the tires hot.
andrey1
Profile for andrey1
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 93    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2006 13:06
I've put together Nakamoto reports translated by Toy yoda here. Hope this not violates any copyrights.

Andrey

argod
Profile for argod
Re: Nakamoto report Vol 93    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2006 15:27
usually copyright only comes in play if you are making money of it.
But those were the old days now it is all muddled. Fair use is still alive but barely.

timstr
Profile for timstr
NAKAMOTO VOL 94    (Score: 1, No Value Added) 04-27-2006 13:07
:-))

http://www.honda.co.jp/F1/spcontents2006/snrd/vol94/

Zpeed
Profile for Zpeed
Re: NAKAMOTO VOL 94    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2006 17:43
Ah crap, moderated you up, but then saw the actual content. Babelfish makes some REALLY nice random English out of that. Had to mod you down to prevent everyone from going to the link. :) (it's in Japanese).
timstr
Profile for timstr
NAKAMOTO VOL 94    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2006 13:40
Toy Yoda is our man here, as he always translates for us.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: NAKAMOTO VOL 94    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2006 14:49
He said the car did not have the pace and it was evident in the free practice before the race. He said even with good pit stops the best they could have done was 6th. The pit errors are what people are using to blame but the car was just not fast enough.

He goes on to say a softer compound would have worked better with the car. He talks about how MS had more fuel but was pulling away from Button.

Those are the key points. I may have messed a few things up but that's pretty much it.

stuman
Profile for stuman
Re: NAKAMOTO VOL 94    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2006 15:56
I was saying all along that our race pace was not there. Given Button ligher fuel load he's a fraction of a second behind MS pace. I also wonder why they didn't use softer tire since JB on 3 stop strategy.
Anyway JB been saying that they had improve the race pace during recent testing. The problems are so does evryone else. We need a quatum lead and a sheer of good luck to win the race

argod
Profile for argod
Re: NAKAMOTO VOL 94    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2006 22:44
In another forum, It seems Michelin is not providing
softer tires to BMW. Just like Bridgestone favors Ferrari, michelin
seems to work with Renault and is not in favor of softer tires as long as Renault is winning.

http://www.sportnetwork.net/boards/read/s169.php?f=211&i=19113&t=19113&sid=169

WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: NAKAMOTO VOL 94    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2006 23:28
Honda-F1 is reported to be the team who has lodged a formal 'complaint' with the FIA about the flexing Ferrari rear wing. Goeff Willis was the one who submitted the protest. Apparently, he says he has video evidence which shows that the Ferrari rear wing is flexing too much which gave them an unfair straight-line speed advantage. Perhaps they think this is one of the factors which gave MS that little bit of extra speed over us.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0