[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: iOS 11 breaks just about all Bluetooth Functionality, 2013-15 Accord—** UPDATE **
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RSX > > Re: 03-05 rsx base?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
madJDMTightLS
Profile for madJDMTightLS
03-05 rsx base?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2006 19:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I'm looking at buying a car in about a year, and here are the options I've been considering:

I've test driven an 06 civic SI, and I think it's a great car, especially for the money. I've ruled it out, along with the type-s because I'd like to get at least a little better gas mileage especially in the city, and I'd rather not buy 91 octane gas. I'd rather not spend that much money on a car either. Also, I don't tend to drive cars like bikes (I rarely rev my 95 integra ls over 5K rpm).

I've also test driven an 06 civic lx manual coupe, and I also think it's a great car for the money. I was especially impressed with the suspension and handling. The gas mileage of the r18 borders on amazing. I haven't ruled out an 07 in this model yet. It has considerable torque from 2-4K rpm, and has comparable torque and hp ratings to the b18b in my integra. Acceleration at highway speeds is pretty boring, and I'm thinking after a few months of owning an 07 lx, I may wish I had kept my integra.

I've recently noticed that the prices on used 03-05 civic SIs are really coming down, mostly in response to the intro of the 06 SI. It seems this might give me an opportunity to "step up" to a K20 for a reasonable price, and still get better city mileage on 87 octane. I like the color of the interior, although I wish it were leather. Without test driving one yet, the placement of the shifter seems odd to say the least. IMHO, the rear exterior of the car is just plain ugly.

So now I'm looking into the 03-05 rsx base 5MT. I like leather, and its good to see that it was at least optional on the model. I like the exterior styling, not only compared to the 03-05 SI, but also (in some ways) compared to the 06 civic SI/coupe. It seems alot of the innovation that went into the 06 civic coupe/SI came from this car.

I test drove a Scion tC, and it was too heavy, boring to drive at high rpm, and too low on gas mileage. I didn't even bother test driving a Mazda 3 since they don't make a coupe.

Please share your thoughts about the 03-05 rsx base regarding suspension and handling, hp and torque through the rpm range, and fit and finish, as well as any other reasons I should or should not look at buying one.

It is my understanding that there are no differences between the 03 and 04 other than standard heated sideview mirrors. The 05 added the following:
"7mm lower ride height, revised stabilizer bars and inversely wound springs. The steering and braking systems have been refined for better feel and response. Front and rear fascias have also been redesigned, along with the side sills, grille, headlamps and taillamps. Inside, you'll find new deeply bolstered seats with thicker cushioning and new trim accents. Overall body rigidity has increased by 15 percent in front and 21 percent in the rear."
Is there anything else that changed for 05? For example, did they start messing around with a partial dbw system?

Also, what would you consider a good deal on an 03-05 rsx base with leather? Judging from online auto classifieds, most of the good deals seem to be in California. I'm in the midwest.

BOOMER
Profile for BOOMER
Re: 03-05 rsx base?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2006 20:44
madJDMTightLS wrote:
I'm looking at buying a car in about a year, and here are the options I've been considering:

I've test driven an 06 civic SI, and I think it's a great car, especially for the money. I've ruled it out, along with the type-s because I'd like to get at least a little better gas mileage especially in the city, and I'd rather not buy 91 octane gas. I'd rather not spend that much money on a car either. Also, I don't tend to drive cars like bikes (I rarely rev my 95 integra ls over 5K rpm).

I've also test driven an 06 civic lx manual coupe, and I also think it's a great car for the money. I was especially impressed with the suspension and handling. The gas mileage of the r18 borders on amazing. I haven't ruled out an 07 in this model yet. It has considerable torque from 2-4K rpm, and has comparable torque and hp ratings to the b18b in my integra. Acceleration at highway speeds is pretty boring, and I'm thinking after a few months of owning an 07 lx, I may wish I had kept my integra.

I've recently noticed that the prices on used 03-05 civic SIs are really coming down, mostly in response to the intro of the 06 SI. It seems this might give me an opportunity to "step up" to a K20 for a reasonable price, and still get better city mileage on 87 octane. I like the color of the interior, although I wish it were leather. Without test driving one yet, the placement of the shifter seems odd to say the least. IMHO, the rear exterior of the car is just plain ugly.

So now I'm looking into the 03-05 rsx base 5MT. I like leather, and its good to see that it was at least optional on the model. I like the exterior styling, not only compared to the 03-05 SI, but also (in some ways) compared to the 06 civic SI/coupe. It seems alot of the innovation that went into the 06 civic coupe/SI came from this car.

I test drove a Scion tC, and it was too heavy, boring to drive at high rpm, and too low on gas mileage. I didn't even bother test driving a Mazda 3 since they don't make a coupe.

Please share your thoughts about the 03-05 rsx base regarding suspension and handling, hp and torque through the rpm range, and fit and finish, as well as any other reasons I should or should not look at buying one.

It is my understanding that there are no differences between the 03 and 04 other than standard heated sideview mirrors. The 05 added the following:
"7mm lower ride height, revised stabilizer bars and inversely wound springs. The steering and braking systems have been refined for better feel and response. Front and rear fascias have also been redesigned, along with the side sills, grille, headlamps and taillamps. Inside, you'll find new deeply bolstered seats with thicker cushioning and new trim accents. Overall body rigidity has increased by 15 percent in front and 21 percent in the rear."
Is there anything else that changed for 05? For example, did they start messing around with a partial dbw system?

Also, what would you consider a good deal on an 03-05 rsx base with leather? Judging from online auto classifieds, most of the good deals seem to be in California. I'm in the midwest.

I am in the same position you are. I am intrigued by the Si, but I really don't want to shift when I don't have to, so the RSX Base w/5AT and leather is very tempting. However, if there's no 2007 RSX, I may not get what I want unless I buy certified used. The extra 15 hp over the Civic EX Coupe is a noticable difference to me. The RSX is also upscale from all the new Civics, better warranty, Acura assistance, etc.

I want a new one, but I located 3 05 RSX 5AT Base Coupes with less than 8000 miles in Dallas, two with cloth and one w/leather for $19,998, not even the internet price, so they'll come off that posted price. I would get a 2006 if you're waiting a year, but the 05 is almost as good except the warranty is less than the 06s.

I haven't heard anything about DBW, they have throttle cables still, I believe. This is the only I4 I would consider getting a 5AT, because it has Sportshift. I love it in my TL.

ScottC
Profile for ScottC
Re: 03-05 rsx base?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2006 12:40
Here's what I have to say having gone through the same situation.

About a year ago I was looking for a new car and since there was no SI it was between the RSX Premium and Type-S. Like you I said I wasn't interested in paying extra for the car, insurance and gas so I went with the RSX premium. By the way, I owned an '90 Integra for 11 years so we have similar past experiences. Well, the RSX was flawless in every way except one issue, a shifting lag and hesitation with the engine. As best as I could tell it was partly a result of my driving style and the dual stage intake manifold. I will say this though, I have driven many '02 RSX's and they seemed to work fine so I can only assume it is an issue with the 05+. I did drive another 05 and it behaved the same way.

Given that this issue was a deal breaker for me I was again out looking at cars. I drove the type-S and SI quite extensively and like them very much. I ended up getting a used 05 RSX type-S for the same price as a SI. Now after driving the type-s for a month now I am really happy with the car and wished I had bought it in the first place. The type-s and SI engines are so different from what you are used to so you really can't compare. They are so smooth and geared such that going over 5K is nothing.

Now I don't really worry about the added expense which probably is no more than $50 a month not including the initial cost difference. It is more than made up in the enjoyment I get out of it. It is also really hard to appreciate the difference by simply test driving the cars.

I'll add one other thing that I didn't mention in the other thread. Beyond the difference in price for the gas, I suspect the mileage will be very close between the two cars if driven conservatively.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0