[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: Large Memory Cards

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
klamath
Profile for klamath
Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2006 17:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
What is the largest size CompactFlash / SD card you guys have sucessfully used in your navi? I am finding 4gb CF cards for $150 and under, though I am unsure whether the navi system can address the FAT32 filesystem that would be used on such a card. (2gb is the barrier where one can no longer use standard FAT) The manual makes no mention of this.

Hopefully, one of you guys has tried this before, cause I sure don't wanna tank the money on a card that big if it's only got a 50/50 chance of working.

Bankston_Honda
Profile for Bankston_Honda
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2006 19:37
Largest according to Honda is 512. Rumor says Some 1 GB works. Only Certain Brands have been tested...
Fcb06SilverSI
Profile for Fcb06SilverSI
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2006 20:00
I've got a 1GB Sandisk SD Ultra II. It works beatifully. My card reader is also a Sandisk 6-in-1
LudegarH22A7
Profile for LudegarH22A7
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2006 20:36
i don't have a navi si but i sometimes use an Akai MPC for making beats. it's only rated for 1GB with the original OS, but anything seemed to work just as long as I stayed away from the cheap stuff. take care.
sthompson781
Profile for sthompson781
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2006 07:15
1 GB in mine that holds 932 songs. Works well. I hear that not all brands work well. SanDisk does.
sthompson781
Profile for sthompson781
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2006 07:16
1 GB in mine that holds 195 songs. Works well. I hear that not all brands work well. SanDisk does.
docquest
Profile for docquest
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2006 11:56
i'm using a 2GB PNY Sd card with the compusa brand 5 in 1 pcmcia adapter and it works great.
J.Copps
Profile for J.Copps
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2006 16:22
anybody have any links to save me some time looking for the cards and anything else id need.. i have an ipod but the cards are probably better right? does the song info come up when u use the cards? how do u get the song from ur pc to the card?.. any help would be great.. my si should be in any day now.. 8-)
docquest
Profile for docquest
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2006 08:14
the pcmcia adapter i use was purchased from compusa. its compusa part number is 314310. it costs $19.99 and can handle secure digital (SD) cards, multimedia cards (MMC), smart media cards (SSFDC),and sony memory sticks here's a link:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=314310&pfp=srch1

the card i use in the reader is a PNY 2 Gb secure digital card. I also bought that at compusa when it was on sale for $99.99 after rebate (its actually $199.99 now).
here's a link for the card:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=334914&pfp=srch1

I would also like to know if anyone has gotten anything over 2 GB to work. I really like the card reader feature on my civic and was surprised how quickly i filled up my 2 GB. I know using CD's with MP3 or WMA files on it would be cheaper than buying large memory cards but,I like not having to open the nav screen to switch CD's repeatedly. I really like the interface since it allows easy control via voice or touch screen. I was planning on getting the IPOD interface but after reading how user un-friendly it is i'm glad i didn't. I think the card reader with its current interface is a much better solution. the only drawback being it can't hold as much as an IPOD.

a related question, I haven't be able to figure out how display the root folder list on the card via a single voice command. Saying tracklist will display the songs of the folder you are in. The tough screen has a small foler icon in the upper right corner that allows you to navigate up 1 folder level. anyone know how to do that via a voice command?

klamath
Profile for klamath
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2006 12:20
Well, the good news is that I tried formatting a smaller card as FAT32 instead of FAT, and it did still function in the reader. I know that doesn't mean anything is definite as far as making a 4 gigger work, but bear in mind that many devices that take CF won't even TOUCH an FAT32 partition...
Bankston_Honda
Profile for Bankston_Honda
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2006 13:19
I purchased a Sandisk PCMCIA reader for $12.99 @ Circuit city. Also Purchased the Hi-Speed 1GB CF Card after Rebat was $149...Works Great!
jessestond
Profile for jessestond
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2006 01:31
Anyone have updates for this? I would really like to purchase the 4 GB compact flash by Sandisk but I'm afraid it won't work...
dontbothertim
Profile for dontbothertim
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2006 02:03
Actually, it's worth a try. There have been some who've had success using more than 1 gig in the PCMCIA slot. I'm just using a 1 GB SD card, because you can get them for dirt cheap now.
letsgoflyers81
Profile for letsgoflyers81
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2006 09:17
jessestond wrote:
Anyone have updates for this? I would really like to purchase the 4 GB compact flash by Sandisk but I'm afraid it won't work...

I recommend picking one up from a CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, or whatever you have in your area. Just check the return policy. Test it and then return it. If it works, buy the same thing online which will undoubtedly save you some money. If it doesn't work, well then try going down a size. This is my plan when I get my Si, I hope to get a 4gb CF card.

Armorforsleep
Profile for Armorforsleep
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2006 10:12
I've been using a $4 PCMCIA adapter from Fry's and a 2gig CF card, Patriot brand also from Fry's and they both have been working perfectly for 3 months or so....
letsgoflyers81
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2006 10:51
I just saw a couple great deals on 4 gig SD cards for $65 and $70 after rebate. They're Transcend 150x and Patriot 133x. I really want to get one but I won't have my Si for another couple months and I'm afraid to buy the card now and end up finding it won't work with the navi system after it's too late to return it. I guess I'll just wait and keep an eye out for some deals after I get the car. Here are some links in case anyone is interested.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4852990?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4782009?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Tjd
Profile for Tjd
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2006 13:48
I have a 4 gig Twinmos in a Sandisk CF to PC card adapter. works no problem. Paid $105 for the CF card and $10 for the adapter.
Jinzo
Profile for Jinzo
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2006 14:42
Hmm, I still confused guys is the pcmcia adapter a bridge between your compact flash card and your navi input? Or a bridge between your pc and your cf card? Sorry for my newbie question.
letsgoflyers81
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2006 14:57
Jinzo wrote:
Hmm, I still confused guys is the pcmcia adapter a bridge between your compact flash card and your navi input? Or a bridge between your pc and your cf card? Sorry for my newbie question.

The PCMCIA adapter is for the navi. It had a PCMCIA card slot, not SD, CF, or anything. So you get the adapter and whichever format of card you want and you're set. You'll also need a card reader for your computer, obviously.

hondasalesman
Profile for hondasalesman
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2006 15:56
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
Jinzo wrote:

The PCMCIA adapter is for the navi. It had a PCMCIA card slot, not SD, CF, or anything. So you get the adapter and whichever format of card you want and you're set. You'll also need a card reader for your computer, obviously.

Will I need an eighty-hole punch machine to make cards for the card reader? just kidding, but i'm a newbie with a lot of catching up to do.

Do most computers have a PCMCIA slot? What does it look like? Once I have the card and PC adapter where do I actually find the music files? I see where up to 999 tracks will work, but I'm seeing napster selling songs for 99 cents each. Does that mean a grand to fill up a SD card? I Don't think there's 50 songs I even like. LOL

letsgoflyers81
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2006 17:20
hondasalesman wrote:
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
Jinzo wrote:

Will I need an eighty-hole punch machine to make cards for the card reader? just kidding, but i'm a newbie with a lot of catching up to do.

Do most computers have a PCMCIA slot? What does it look like? Once I have the card and PC adapter where do I actually find the music files? I see where up to 999 tracks will work, but I'm seeing napster selling songs for 99 cents each. Does that mean a grand to fill up a SD card? I Don't think there's 50 songs I even like. LOL

Laptops have PCMCIA slots, desktops don't. Say you get an SD card. You'll need a PCMCIA to SD converter for the navi, and an SD card reader for your computer. Some desktops have card readers built in. Any laptop will have a PCMCIA slot, and many newer ones have card readers for SD, CF, SM, xD, etc formats.

If you want to buy songs individually, yeah it'll get expensive. Or if you have CD's, you can rip them to mp3. Or you can do a less legal thing and download them yourself for free. I have over 30 gigs of mp3s and that's not really all that much. They make 60 gig iPods, I'm sure there are people that can fill them up easily enough.

hondasalesman
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2006 09:31
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
hondasalesman wrote:
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
Jinzo wrote:

Laptops have PCMCIA slots, desktops don't. Say you get an SD card. You'll need a PCMCIA to SD converter for the navi, and an SD card reader for your computer. Some desktops have card readers built in. Any laptop will have a PCMCIA slot, and many newer ones have card readers for SD, CF, SM, xD, etc formats.

If you want to buy songs individually, yeah it'll get expensive. Or if you have CD's, you can rip them to mp3. Or you can do a less legal thing and download them yourself for free. I have over 30 gigs of mp3s and that's not really all that much. They make 60 gig iPods, I'm sure there are people that can fill them up easily enough.

Good stuff! Thanks!!
One more quick question-
Can you add more tracks at a later date, or do you have to make one big burn? ...and if you can add more, can you delete individual tracks and/or replace them? (oops- that was at least 2 questions)

Thanks

letsgoflyers81
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2006 09:51
hondasalesman wrote:
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
hondasalesman wrote:
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
Jinzo wrote:

Good stuff! Thanks!!
One more quick question-
Can you add more tracks at a later date, or do you have to make one big burn? ...and if you can add more, can you delete individual tracks and/or replace them? (oops- that was at least 2 questions)

Thanks

First it's one question, then it's two? Don't push it!

A memory card is rewriteable, it's not like burning a CDR. When you connect it to your computer, it will recognize it as a removeable storage device. You then copy over all the files you want. At any time you can copy more files over, or delete everything, or just delete some files. Think of it like a removeable hard drove, or a floppy disk, if you remember what those things are. :p

hondasalesman
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2006 14:10
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
hondasalesman wrote:
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
hondasalesman wrote:
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
Jinzo wrote:

Good stuff! Thanks!!
One more quick question-

Thanks

A memory card is rewriteable, it's not like burning a CDR. When you connect it to your computer, it will recognize it as a removeable storage device. You then copy over all the files you want. At any time you can copy more files over, or delete everything, or just delete some files. Think of it like a removeable hard drove, or a floppy disk, if you remember what those things are. :p

My experience with computers spans the TRS-80 MOD I with casette I/O and 4k of memory to my work computer with 1 gig ram and 80 gig HD. Oh, and i have a 512 thumb drive in my poket. All that being said, I need all the help I can get to figure out how to move files from my HD to a pc card adapter/san disk that the SI navi will be happy with. Getting a lot of good info here though. Thanks!

letsgoflyers81
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-11-2006 14:21
hondasalesman wrote:
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
hondasalesman wrote:
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
hondasalesman wrote:
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
Jinzo wrote:

Good stuff! Thanks!!
One more quick question-

Thanks

My experience with computers spans the TRS-80 MOD I with casette I/O and 4k of memory to my work computer with 1 gig ram and 80 gig HD. Oh, and i have a 512 thumb drive in my poket. All that being said, I need all the help I can get to figure out how to move files from my HD to a pc card adapter/san disk that the SI navi will be happy with. Getting a lot of good info here though. Thanks!

Feel free to IM me on AIM if you think you need more detailed help. Same screen name as my username here, letsgoflyers81.

hondasalesman
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-13-2006 14:55
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
hondasalesman wrote:
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
hondasalesman wrote:
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
hondasalesman wrote:
letsgoflyers81 wrote:
Jinzo wrote:

Good stuff! Thanks!!
One more quick question-

Thanks

Feel free to IM me on AIM if you think you need more detailed help. Same screen name as my username here, letsgoflyers81.

Thanks for all the help letsgoflyers81. I DID IT!!
Went to Best Buy, got the SanDisk 1gig pro card, got the SanDisk 6 'n1 adapter, and got the SanDisk Reader, paid about $130 bucks, used Windows media player to rip 10 songs to the Reader, took out the chip, put it in the adapter, put it in the reader slot, and it worked perfectly first time!!

Now, I've got to go to the library and check out a bunch of CD's (I like the old stuff anyway), and load up those other 998 tracks.

Thanks again- couldn't have done it without all the great advice and hand holding.

Now, everybody will be glad to get rid of these monster quotes. LOL

wpenhall
Profile for wpenhall
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2006 13:31
I can confirm that the SanDisc 4 GB card works in my '06 civic hybrid with navi.

I am using this card (paid $112): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6375148&type=product&id=1077624805088

And this adaptor (paid $14):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4746519&type=product&id=1093467451044

It came formatted to FAT32, and I first filled it up to the max - 999 songs, 99 folders, 3.7 GB. That didn't work, so I removed and consolidated some folders.

I tried to find the threshold for what it will read. My last attempt was 982 songs in 82 folders, which also wouldn't work. However, I then backed it down to 944 songs in 82 folders, (3.23 GB) - which now works just fine. It takes the navi about 20 sec or so to read the card, but it does work reliably. I haven't noticed any songs that won't play yet.

Good luck!

wpenhall
Profile for wpenhall
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2006 13:33
I should clarify - 20 sec to initialize the card each time I start the car. Changing tracks is instantaneous.
Alin
Profile for Alin
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2006 15:07
I use a 4GB card and I didn't have any problems.

Alin

letsgoflyers81
Re: Large Memory Cards    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2006 16:27
Alin wrote:
I use a 4GB card and I didn't have any problems.

Alin

What format card, Secure Digital or Compact Flash? And what brand is the card and card adapter?

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0