[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: K&N Filter for 06 si

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
VdoManZ
Profile for VdoManZ
K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 12:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I do not want to put a CAI on my si due the the warranty issues. However I am wanting to upgrade my air filtratioin with a k&n filter. When I visit their site and try to find a filter It seems to return only an oil filter. Does anybody know what size the stock filter is? Will any of the previous filters fit in the 06 si?

Thanks in advance.

LudegarH22A7
Profile for LudegarH22A7
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 12:24
I dunno if it's out yet, and if so, it would probably mean it's a previously used size. Anyhoo, be careful on Ebay... make sure it's for our car.

VdoManZ wrote:
I do not want to put a CAI on my si due the the warranty issues. However I am wanting to upgrade my air filtratioin with a k&n filter. When I visit their site and try to find a filter It seems to return only an oil filter. Does anybody know what size the stock filter is? Will any of the previous filters fit in the 06 si?

Thanks in advance.

soulboy
Profile for soulboy
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 12:27
You may want to research if the K&N is ANY better than the stock filter, as I have heard that the recent Hondas' air filters are just as good as far as air flow. Can anyone else corroborate this?
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 12:35
VdoManZ wrote:
I do not want to put a CAI on my si due the the warranty issues.

That doesn't make sense to me. Just don't drive through 6"+ of water and you'll have no issues.

Ryan

VdoManZ
Profile for VdoManZ
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 12:47
RyanDL wrote:
VdoManZ wrote:
I do not want to put a CAI on my si due the the warranty issues.

That doesn't make sense to me. Just don't drive through 6"+ of water and you'll have no issues.

Ryan

I am not worried about water. I have had an AEM CAI on my neon (don't laugh...drove in h/s and college it was at least the DOHC with 150 hp) for 2 years never had any problems. I was under the understanding that a CAI will void your manufactuer warranty?? This is my first new car i don't want to void the warranty.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 12:55
It shouldn't void the warranty, but you may want to ask the specific dealer that you bought from.

If the damage to the car is in direct relation to the mod (like sucking up water through a CAI) your warranty will probably be voided.

That is why Ryan said that, most likely.

ratz1919
Profile for ratz1919
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 13:34
Regarding the whole water problem with the CAI, has anyone ever done damage to their engine this way? If so how deep was the water you were driving through? Just would like to know if I decide to put an intake on my car.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 13:51
ratz1919 wrote:
Regarding the whole water problem with the CAI, has anyone ever done damage to their engine this way? If so how deep was the water you were driving through? Just would like to know if I decide to put an intake on my car.

There are threads about hydrolocking on nearly every car forum on the Internet.

For example:

http://focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=d35dcfdb853e101a811d0c295a017f44&postid=583722

Adding a CAI does add the chance that this could happen. You might get caught in some really bad rain and flash flood instances (happens very often here).

Hydrolocking is very real, but the CAI probably needs to be submerged or close to draw enough water up against gravity and all.

Personally, I don't use them.

Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 14:39
DCR wrote:
ratz1919 wrote:
Adding a CAI does add the chance that this could happen. You might get caught in some really bad rain and flash flood instances (happens very often here).

Hydrolocking is very real, but the CAI probably needs to be submerged or close to draw enough water up against gravity and all.Personally, I don't use them.

I've used CAIs before with no problem, on the other hand I've known people who have hydrolocked cars with CAIs.

Personally for me it's a cost/benefit deal. I liked the CAI on my old SOHC Civic because it worked well and because I could easily get another D16Z out of a junkyard for $500.

I'd never put one on my S2000, though, even though I don't drive it in the rain. Too much of a risk for +5 hp. I would never even notice that on a 240 hp car. Risk/benefit analysis, why risk trashing a $3500 engine for no tangible benefit?

I didn't have a CAI on my old RSX-S either, just too much risk. I don't make a habit of driving through swamps BUT you never know when you're gonna get in a downpour on an unfamiliar street.

I think I would wait and see how big of a difference the AEM CAI makes on the Si. If it doesn't add much, I would leave it alone. Most of the time stock is better, unless you're driving competitively. Just my $.02.

VdoManZ
Profile for VdoManZ
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 14:52
that is the reason why i am interested in the k& n filter to put in the stock air filter box :)
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 15:22
VdoManZ wrote:
that is the reason why i am interested in the k& n filter to put in the stock air filter box :)

A CAI and a replacement air filter are two different worlds.

Though many will argue the HP gains from a CAI, there is no doubt in my mind that simply replacing the factory air filter will give you hardly anything if anything at all.

80honda
Profile for 80honda
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 15:45
Why would you risk the engine in your Civic by installing a K&N? The Stock filter does a MUCH better job.
VdoManZ
Profile for VdoManZ
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 15:47
the thread was started because I wanted to see if k&n had one that fit. My dad has a jetta GLI 1.8t and he gained a few more miles to the gallon and his exhaust had a little light rumble with the k&n filter replacement in the factory air box.

I have a CAI on my neon as stated before but, I am not ready to put a CAI on my si that will arrive in 2 weeks. so back to my first question. does anyone know the size of the stock filter, is it the same size used in any other cars? RSX, TSX, S2000, etc etc or am I in a situation that K&N has not made an OEM replacement.

wolfmansbro
Profile for wolfmansbro
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 16:54
DCR wrote:
VdoManZ wrote:

A CAI and a replacement air filter are two different worlds.

Though many will argue the HP gains from a CAI, there is no doubt in my mind that simply replacing the factory air filter will give you hardly anything if anything at all.

Here is a link to an independent study about about filters that DCR originally posted in another thread, you are probably better off with the filter you have in there already. You might get a slight gain from a CAI, but I agree with DCR that swapping filters for a k&n won't do any good.
http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

wolfmansbro
Profile for wolfmansbro
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 16:58
if you are going to get the k&n filter, just go into any auto-zone type place and have them take your current filter out and size it up for a match with the k&n filters they have in stock. They will even drop in the new one for you for free.
VdoManZ
Profile for VdoManZ
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 17:45
wolfmansbro wrote:
if you are going to get the k&n filter, just go into any auto-zone type place and have them take your current filter out and size it up for a match with the k&n filters they have in stock. They will even drop in the new one for you for free.

thanks for the link...that was news to me

wolfmansbro
Profile for wolfmansbro
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 17:54
no problem
Si-newby
Profile for Si-newby
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2006 21:45
I've also looked for a K&N filter for my new Si without any luck. I don't think they're making it yet. I have used K&N filters on my first two new cars, 2001 Mustang V6 and 2003 Mazda6i with improvements of about 2-3 mpg consistently.

I was all for them until I read the study on air filters previously mentioned earlier in this thread. The risk of dirt getting into the engine is not worth the benefit on the Si, and I too have heard that Honda air filters are just as good or better than K&N. I have changed my tune on K&N and I won't be getting one for my new Si...save your $40 for the extra gas cost of premium fuel.

eragon06
Profile for eragon06
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2006 01:06
Si-newby wrote:
I've also looked for a K&N filter for my new Si without any luck. I don't think they're making it yet. I have used K&N filters on my first two new cars, 2001 Mustang V6 and 2003 Mazda6i with improvements of about 2-3 mpg consistently.

I was all for them until I read the study on air filters previously mentioned earlier in this thread. The risk of dirt getting into the engine is not worth the benefit on the Si, and I too have heard that Honda air filters are just as good or better than K&N. I have changed my tune on K&N and I won't be getting one for my new Si...save your $40 for the extra gas cost of premium fuel.

Does everyone still pretty much agree on this? I was going to go with the K&N before I read this. Seems like I should save the money, yes?

IndySabre
Profile for IndySabre
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2006 22:34
Check out this thread - http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=546924

I plan on getting one soon.

Vankuen
Profile for Vankuen
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2006 23:10
I'm probably going to go with the AEM short ram air. This way I get a reusable filter with no oils (so as not to affect the sensors) and no risk of hydrolock since it is not down by the bumper. From what I understand I still gain a bit of gas mileage as well.

The con's are heat soak and really just a lack of noticeable HP increase.

Have you ever thought about an SRI as an option?

Si-newby
Profile for Si-newby
Re: K&N Filter for 06 si    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2006 01:09
Vankuen wrote:
I'm probably going to go with the AEM short ram air. This way I get a reusable filter with no oils (so as not to affect the sensors) and no risk of hydrolock since it is not down by the bumper. From what I understand I still gain a bit of gas mileage as well.

The con's are heat soak and really just a lack of noticeable HP increase.

Have you ever thought about an SRI as an option?

Why get the SRI if there seems to be no real benefit at all? Just wondering, doesn't seem to be worth the money or time to install.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0