[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota wants new Celica or MR2
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Interesting take on the "Camaro Crisis"
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: All-New Cadillac 2019 XT4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: First Ford, now Nissan dropping Sedans
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Audi Will Reportedly No Longer Offer Any Manual Transmissions in the U.S.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: SuperGT - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 BMW 8-Series
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Anybody towing with 9AT Pilot or Odysseys?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indycar - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > New Civic fails to retain Japan Car Of The Year Title > > Re: No offense...

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

notyper
Profile for notyper
No offense... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2005 21:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
But not winning a car of the year award, particularly in a diminishing market, is not a setback. Not selling a lot of cars, now that is a setback. So far, that doesn't seem to be a problem.

SC

WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: No offense... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-27-2005 22:13
It's very true Shawn. That's why it is important to also not paint a picture of total gloom (certainly not that kind of ranting a detractor or throll might do), just to recognize that it IS a set-back, since the JCOTY is such a prestigious and sought after title. But not winning it doesn't make the Civic a lemon. But it's also important to acknowledge this set-back and to highlight the relative failure it signifies. This is because if it had been the other way round, and if the Civic had won JCOTY instead, I know I would have made a huge fuss out of it. I think the importance is the balance in treatment. So when the next gen Accord comes out in a couple of years time and wins the JCOTY, then I will be fully justified to really make a huge fuss out of it ! :)

The other thing I failed to highlight is that we need to bear in mind that the JDM Civics comes in ONLY the 140ps 1.8l version. No Si's over there. And the new CTR is not out yet. So against something the level of the Miata/MX5/Roadster, the 1.8l SOHC really have no good chance, excellent though it is in its own right.

My main worry now is an approach that focuses purely on sales figures was how Honda came out with 'Jennifer' and all the boring cars that we had to live with in the recent past. It is only now that we are getting improved models. Targetting only sales is a sure thing to ignoring the enthusiasts because Honda openly calls the enthusiast market 'NICHE'. So if we are to encourage Honda to continue towards this 'Toyota-lization' in their approach to new models and its sales strategy, eventually we won't see anymore 200ps Si's. The focus on numbers was of course what made Honda cancel models like the CRX, Prelude, and of course the Civic SiR. And what made them keep the Type-Rs within JDM. I am very sure because everytime I hound a Honda person, whether from Malaysia or Thailand or Japan, about the CRX, I was told that the CRX Del Sol had really bad sales.

I'd rather see Honda continue with their current approach, as least what AHM are doing : have a variant for the general market and one for the hard-core. But I'd REALLY wish Honda would make that hard-core version, REALLY hard-core. Your Si is really hard-core and many Honda fans are really envious of you guys in the U.S. By contrast, the out-going Civic 2.0 i-VTEC sedan has been 'softened' too much in an effort to make it appeal to a broader market. The so-called 'luxury with performance'. The new Asian Civic 2.0 i-VTEC will be going further down this path. They even re-tuned the K20 to make it deliver max power lower down and cut the red-line downwards. To me, it's a silly way to try to 'Toyota-lize' the Civic 2.0 i-VTEC and I am fearful that with the 'honeymoon' over, the new Civic 2.0 i-VTEC might now face the brunt of the dissapointed enthusiast.

I think Honda NEEDS to learn a critical lesson, that taking care of their fans is of utmost importance. In this case, Hollywood contains plenty of good lessons on how things should be done. Remember SPIDERMAN the movie and how Sony actually allowed Spiderman fans to go in a vote and select the rendition of Spiderman they like most ? Now, THAT's the way things should be done ! :)

5thGENrustbucket
Profile for 5thGENrustbucket
Re: No offense... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-29-2005 20:37
good post.....I agree with everything you said there!!!!

Honda should never disregard the enthusiast's out there!! They need to realize that even though Honda owners are an extremely loyal bunch, it only takes one or two "mass market" manoeuvre's to change the minds of potential buyers.....I am happy to see the 06 civic SI......Its not just marketing hype ala 02-05 civic Si's. The next gen accord needs to appeal to many buyers, but they should sell a "performance model" (without a heavy V6)....how about 6 speed and next gen i vtec 2.4 litre with 230+ bhp......and weigh less than 3100 lbs.........a guy can dream can't he....

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0