[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic Interior first picture
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: '19 Variations on the CTR?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A big finger to handbrake turns
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 10th generation Accord Mk2 - niggles fixed with minor tweaks!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ford "pulls an Acura" in their latest commercial
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mazda CX-5 to get 2.5 Turbo Engine?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Aragon MotoGP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Custom Paint Job Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Inspire test drive video
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: 2018 Acura NSX Review - The Best Everyday Supercar
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > 2006 Accord Coupe Spy Shots > > Re: Still looks too fat/bloated

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

civicw
Profile for civicw
Still looks too fat/bloated [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2005 09:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
OK, I know Honda can't change the body style in the middle of the 5 year product cycle, but this coupe looks really fat.

I really don't understand this trend towards the bloated look. Every redesign makes the car slightly longer wider, longer, taller. Will Honda EVER stop making cars bigger and bigger? Whatever happened to Japanese common sense?

'96 Accord4 Life
Profile for '96 Accord4 Life
Re: Still looks too fat/bloated [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2005 12:21
civicw wrote:
OK, I know Honda can't change the body style in the middle of the 5 year product cycle, but this coupe looks really fat.

I really don't understand this trend towards the bloated look. Every redesign makes the car slightly longer wider, longer, taller. Will Honda EVER stop making cars bigger and bigger? Whatever happened to Japanese common sense?

Honda makes car for the U.S. remember- The place where over %75 of the people are overweight, Love Supersized Foods, and Supersized Cars (Don't get me started with my neghiboors Excursion..) And Trucks, the good ol' boys and their damn trucks. Just think about it...Right now Hyundai the newest competitior to the Accord has been running commercials solely based on interior room and the fact that it's "Ahead of the Class" because of it! And seeing as how many americans will go for that instead of the Accords commercials which focus on having high quality cars that don't loose value nearly as much as others. So whats really sad is that half of the people or more that are shopping for cars right now won't even care about it. But in the end they get slammed with a loss! Go figure??? It's all because they didn't do the research. But hey why do I care...I did my Homework:)
And in response to your question about "Will Honda ever stop making cars bigger?" The answer is yes. How do I know??? within 15 years or so there will be no more gasoline so either everyones caar is going to need to be converted to hydrogen, or we could do the stupid think and salvage all our cars and fill up landfills...WooHoo! So hopefully when everyone comes to their senses, we might just be getting on track!

aznstuart
Profile for aznstuart
Re: Still looks too fat/bloated [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2005 13:24
The 05 Odyssey didnt get bigger if that helps. The RL got shorter and so did the TL.
Wizard
Profile for Wizard
Re: Still looks too fat/bloated [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2005 14:12
Accord Coupe is neither bloated, not too big. Just check out its competition.
civicw wrote:

LeeLee
Profile for LeeLee
Re: Still looks too fat/bloated [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2005 14:52
I don't think the problem of the Accord is that it is bigger, but that it *look* bloated. This is due to design elements that gives the car a portly look, such as body panels that bulge out in the middle and tuck back in as it goes down. Long front/rear overhangs also gives the car a tippy look.

Fact is, a car doesn't have to *LOOK* bloated even when it is large. Look at the BMW 5 series. Those cars are plenty big, but they do not look bloated. Look at the TL, which also does not look nearly as bloated as the Accord (although the TL does have the darth vader helmet look with all the ground effects).

I recently saw the new Hyundai Sonata on the road. A much better designed rear end than the current Accord. Even with "class leading" interior space, that car does not have the bloated look of the Accord.

Honda needs to change their design philosophy. They *CAN* design nice looking cars. I think it's just that their recent design decision has been more similar to Buick than BMW. They need to change.

Heckler
Profile for Heckler
Re: Still looks too fat/bloated [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2005 15:22
aznstuart wrote:
The 05 Odyssey didnt get bigger if that helps. The RL got shorter and so did the TL.

Well...the wheel base is the same as the 04 but, it did get one inch wider. didn't it?

accord1989
Profile for accord1989
Re: Still looks too fat/bloated [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2005 10:11
Well said LeeLee
CD5acrd
Profile for CD5acrd
Re: Still looks too fat/bloated [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2005 01:16
civicw wrote:

I agreee its still flabby but I don't expect anything drastic from a MMC. However doesn't look like the Accords of years past. It's too chunky and Americanized its as if the car has middle aged spread. The Accord needs to hit the gym. Oh well atleast get the TSX(euro/Japan spec Accord).

Wizard
Profile for Wizard
Re: Still looks too fat/bloated [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2005 11:10
Heckler wrote:
aznstuart wrote:

Well...the wheel base is the same as the 04 but, it did get one inch wider. didn't it?

Wheelbase? Either you talk in terms of wheelbase and track, or you talk in terms of length and width.

The new Odyssey did gain some width but lost some length compared to the old.

Varmint
Profile for Varmint
Re: Still looks too fat/bloated [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2005 13:40
I guess my question would have to be... big compared to what? The Solara or G6?

If we're thinking it looks big compared to the Eclipse, Prelude, RSX, or others of that ilk... then, yes, it is. Because it's supposed to be bigger. I'm not so sure that I think it looks big compared to what a mid-size coupe ought to be.

civicw
Profile for civicw
Re: Still looks too fat/bloated [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2005 09:50
Varmint wrote:
I guess my question would have to be... big compared to what? The Solara or G6?

If we're thinking it looks big compared to the Eclipse, Prelude, RSX, or others of that ilk... then, yes, it is. Because it's supposed to be bigger. I'm not so sure that I think it looks big compared to what a mid-size coupe ought to be.

I'm comparing it to the previous generation Accord coupe. Unless the average American body size has increased dramatically in 5 years, I just don't see any reason to keep on increasing car dimensions. As it is, you RARELY ever see more than 2 people in a coupe.

I sure hope Honda is not trying to cater to those Americans who want to supersize everything - those people can always buy something from Chrysler or GM.

Varmint
Profile for Varmint
Re: Still looks too fat/bloated [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2005 12:55
Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, cars are getting bigger and bigger. I think some of the success we've seen with mini-utes is due to the fact that trucks like the Explorer got too big and too expensive. But I see that as a problem for the industry, not something specific to the Accord Coupe.

To my eye, the coupe looks about as big as it is. There's nothing in the sheetmetal that makes it look bigger than the reality of its dimensions.

YMMV

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0