[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
More.......................
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
More.......................
American Honda reports January sales
More.......................
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
More.......................
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
More.......................
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
jsb07044
Profile for jsb07044
TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-09-2005 15:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
In terms of size and cost, these two vehicles are about the same. The Jetta's two engines (base 2.5-liter 150-hp 5-cylinder, optional 2.0-liter 200-hp turbo 4-cylinder) offer two distinctive personalities and compelling competition of the TSX. 4Motion AWD is rumored to be offered as an option. The new Jetta's feature set and Audi-like interior quality certainly trump the TSX. Are there any open-minded car shoppers here willing to compare the two for themselves?
ws358
Profile for ws358
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-09-2005 15:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I agree that these two models are likely to be cross-shopped, mostly by those looking for a compact sports sedan bigger than a Prelude and Integra or a GTI but not wanting a larger, more luxurious car. They both offer high-tech engines, 4-door utility, sporty chassis and suspensions, and lots of features.

However, the basic Jetta is considerably less expensive, has fewer features, has less power and refinement, and isnt as sporty as the TSX. The upcoming GLI model with the turbo engine will be a direct competitor for the TSX, Mazda 6s, and other such cars.

The GLI will probably be faster than a TSX, but handling will have to be a big step up from the last generation Jetta. And although the last Jetta, and probably this one as well, will have high class features and interior appointments, it is still condsidered class-leading in the compact class, against cars like the Civic, Corolla, and Mazda 3. The TSX has one of the nicest interiors in its class, which is a step above the previously mentioned cars. The last generation Jetta also had tons of quality problems.

It will be interesting to see a comparo.

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-09-2005 16:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
jsb07044 wrote:
In terms of size and cost, these two vehicles are about the same. The Jetta's two engines (base 2.5-liter 150-hp 5-cylinder, optional 2.0-liter 200-hp turbo 4-cylinder) offer two distinctive personalities and compelling competition of the TSX. 4Motion AWD is rumored to be offered as an option. The new Jetta's feature set and Audi-like interior quality certainly trump the TSX. Are there any open-minded car shoppers here willing to compare the two for themselves?

IMO, size and cost are the only valid comparisons of these two cars in comparable trim levels. The interior of late model VWs I've been in is pretty good, though decidedly German (not necessarily a bad thing, just different than a Honda). Though, I wouldn't say the new Jetta interior "trumps" the TSX interior, which is very nice.

I would be wary of VW's reliability compared to the Honda. Also, expect the driving experience to be very dull compared to the TSX. When you factor in the relatively low production numbers of the TSX that should increase resale considerably (Acura is selling every one they import), it's a no brainer decision, IMO. Oh, and supposedly, VW's dealer practices are abysmal.

AWD isn't necessary with "only" 200 HP.

Ryan

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-09-2005 16:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I've only been able to sit in an '06 Jetta so far. Twice. My very first impression (Detroit) was quite good when it came to the interior, but then when I looked at it a bit closer in Chicago I was a little disappointed with the quality of some of the items. It reminded me a lot of the '01 Passat I owned - there are several elements that seem out of place in that price class - but in both directions. I mean, some of the touches seem like they belong in more expensive cars, while other things belong in lower class vehicles. I was also expecting the new Jetta to be much roomier inside than it is, but the back seat still felt really cramped. The TSX's back seat is very comfortable, though if you're sitting behind taller folks in the front seat you might want a bit more knee room. If you have enough kneeroom (i.e. front seats aren't placed all the way back), I think the TSX's back seat is even more comfortable than the TL's, nevermind the Jetta.

As for performance, the TSX is solid as is, but it's not as sporty as it could be. Acura should really offer up an upgrade model with a hotter motor, better brakes, low or no-cost optional summer tires, and the a-spec suspension calibration. It sounds like the GLI is going to be pretty nice with the 2.0L turbo motor and available DSG gearbox, but i would like to drive it before making a comparison call one way or the other. The other items seem to weigh in the TSX's favor (reliability, quality, etc...)

I will see if I can convince the local press fleet guy for VW to let us borrow one and then I can tell you more.

ws358 wrote:
I agree that these two models are likely to be cross-shopped, mostly by those looking for a compact sports sedan bigger than a Prelude and Integra or a GTI but not wanting a larger, more luxurious car. They both offer high-tech engines, 4-door utility, sporty chassis and suspensions, and lots of features.

However, the basic Jetta is considerably less expensive, has fewer features, has less power and refinement, and isnt as sporty as the TSX. The upcoming GLI model with the turbo engine will be a direct competitor for the TSX, Mazda 6s, and other such cars.

The GLI will probably be faster than a TSX, but handling will have to be a big step up from the last generation Jetta. And although the last Jetta, and probably this one as well, will have high class features and interior appointments, it is still condsidered class-leading in the compact class, against cars like the Civic, Corolla, and Mazda 3. The TSX has one of the nicest interiors in its class, which is a step above the previously mentioned cars. The last generation Jetta also had tons of quality problems.

It will be interesting to see a comparo.




jsb07044
Profile for jsb07044
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 09:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
New Jetta rear passenger legroom is larger than TSX, but Jetta's headroom is just as tight as TSX. New Jetta is being marketed as a sporty family car for ages 25-35 (advertising campaign theme is "you're a grown-up now, so drive a grown-up car") with excellent value for features and safety equipment. They're trying to shed the image of college-boy racer car.

The TSX is more a sporty compact luxury car (baby TL?) with no pretentions as a family car.

This is all just marketing spin, but funny how that makes a difference with who buys what here in the US. If you've been out of college for 10 years and have a wife and kids, your thoughts are going to be different than an unattached working professional or college student.

jsb07044
Profile for jsb07044
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 11:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
AWD isn't necessary with "only" 200 HP.


AWD is a big safety feature in the Northeast and anywhere it snows. AWD also has benefits in the rain, too. More and more cars are adding AWD as standard equipment or optional, as consumers expectations increase.

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 11:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
jsb07044 wrote:
AWD isn't necessary with "only" 200 HP.


AWD is a big safety feature in the Northeast and anywhere it snows. AWD also has benefits in the rain, too. More and more cars are adding AWD as standard equipment or optional, as consumers expectations increase.


I can't see AWD as being much (any?) safer than a FF car with VSA. It adds weight, needless complexity, and takes up passenger/cargo space. With "only" 200HP, it isn't even required for traction purposes. Check the TL forums for folks commenting that their cars are doing just as well as AWD in heavy snow.

Ryan

n8dog82
Profile for n8dog82
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta ... from a vw owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 11:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I like to think that I can be pretty unbaised on this subject... As the owner of a 1984 VW Rabbit GTI and a 1998 VW GTI VR6, I know and love volkswagens. As a Acura Salesperson, I love and know everything about TSXs as well.

The TSX makes sense...you know the car will be MUCH more reliable, the TSX will hold its value MUCH better than the vdub, and will run FOREVER, and you will have the pleasure of dealing with an Acura Dealership. There is NOTHING that the jetta will be able to do that the TSX will not be able to do better and more pratically.

The Jetta, Is the emotional choice. Depending on your taste, may be a much better looking car. Although VW has a reputation for amazing interiors, I think the TSX is up to par in that department. The Jetta interior will be much better looking anyways. Although it has less or equal horsepower and will be outperformed by the TSX, it will not feel like it. VWs have personalities, and unless you have owned one, you wont understand this statement.

Another thing to think about is tunability...if you are into tuning you cars, the Turbo engine on the jetta will have loads of potential. for a few hundred dollars you can get an easy 40-50 hp out of a Chip!!!

Hands Down....the TSX is a better car but it is kinda boring. Although they have made huge strides in design, the Jetta will be much more exciting and emotional to drive.

soulboy
Profile for soulboy
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta ... from a vw owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 12:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I didn't read the previous posts, but let's not forget the TSX's 2 outstanding traits - handling and fun-to-drive.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta ... from a vw owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 12:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
n8dog82 wrote:
I like to think that I can be pretty unbaised on this subject... As the owner of a 1984 VW Rabbit GTI and a 1998 VW GTI VR6, I know and love volkswagens. As a Acura Salesperson, I love and know everything about TSXs as well.

The TSX makes sense...you know the car will be MUCH more reliable, the TSX will hold its value MUCH better than the vdub, and will run FOREVER, and you will have the pleasure of dealing with an Acura Dealership. There is NOTHING that the jetta will be able to do that the TSX will not be able to do better and more pratically.

The Jetta, Is the emotional choice. Depending on your taste, may be a much better looking car. Although VW has a reputation for amazing interiors, I think the TSX is up to par in that department. The Jetta interior will be much better looking anyways. Although it has less or equal horsepower and will be outperformed by the TSX, it will not feel like it. VWs have personalities, and unless you have owned one, you wont understand this statement.

Another thing to think about is tunability...if you are into tuning you cars, the Turbo engine on the jetta will have loads of potential. for a few hundred dollars you can get an easy 40-50 hp out of a Chip!!!

Hands Down....the TSX is a better car but it is kinda boring. Although they have made huge strides in design, the Jetta will be much more exciting and emotional to drive.


Well, from your post it is easy to say that it has been a long time since you last drove a VW Golf / Jetta... If anything can be said about a VW is that they may be anything but "fun to drive".
I rented a VW Golf past weekend and travel with it around Germany ... We definitelly have different ways of thinking about having fun behind the wheel... and what "emotion" means. From a styling point of view, it is rather subjective, but I (as most Europe, even those that buy Golfs and Jettas) consider VW styling as bland, conservative and boring. In the opposite side, everybody here seems to agree that the Accord (your TSX) is one of the most beautifull and stylish sedans currently available.

Believe me or not, most people in Europe (outside Germany)buy VW for its brand name, as a granted choice, durable, solid, and so on. Nobody does it for style or emotion. Usually, when looking for emotion you think about Itally or even Japan. You think about a Civic or an Alfa, or even Peugeot if you are French. But emotional VAG ?? Woaw... I suppose it is really exotic to have a Golf in the US...

Now, I hope that the Jetta interior is different from the Golf's, because again, it is rather sad and boring. Now, I hope VW has done a pretty good job with the Jetta interior materials when comparing with its hatchback brother, because I would find it really difficult to rate it better than a Corolla or a Civic... So when thinking about a comparison with the TSX (which btw has really nicer interior than our Accord), it just makes me laught.

Some people must be blind, or maybe I am... A Jetta is nothing more than a Civic, and comparing a Civic with a TSX does not seem accurate to me... Well, I agree that the current US Civic seems a bit old-fashioned, but you just have to wait to this autumn for the new one.



AcuraSM
Profile for AcuraSM
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 13:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I work at a Acura and VW Dealer and sell both. Mostly VW since I am the Internet Manager for the VWs. The new Jetta is a great car for a VW but compared to the Acura it's a wanna-be Honda. The interiors are nice but not compared to the TSX. Acura's nav system is second to none. I personally don't like the handling of the VWs but they have alot of grip. The grip is there because of the tire choice which is more towards the performance side. Acura is a little more concernd with the smooth ride quality. The Acura is more tossable and the grip is still there. The performance in last years 1.8 wasn't on par with the TSX and this years car is bigger and heavier. It will be closer though but I would still give the advantage to the Acura. Hopefully VW has worked on the issues but onlyu time will tell. Bottom line if you only like German cars then the Jetta is a great car, if you are open then the TSX has the market.
hondaracer
Profile for hondaracer
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 13:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RyanDL wrote:
jsb07044 wrote:
AWD isn't necessary with "only" 200 HP.


AWD is a big safety feature in the Northeast and anywhere it snows. AWD also has benefits in the rain, too. More and more cars are adding AWD as standard equipment or optional, as consumers expectations increase.


I can't see AWD as being much (any?) safer than a FF car with VSA. It adds weight, needless complexity, and takes up passenger/cargo space. With "only" 200HP, it isn't even required for traction purposes. Check the TL forums for folks commenting that their cars are doing just as well as AWD in heavy snow.

Ryan



i chuckle a little everytime i read this "AWD" is safer myth... it's like the "anti-lock brakes decrease stopping distances myth". people simply don't understand what these technologies are actually intended to do, and the marketing departments take advantage of this naivete by simply trying to convince us "we're safer".

i'm going to back up ryan's statement by telling you two of my three vehicles are AWD: a Honda Element and an Audi A4 Quattro. both have all season tires, and of the three, it's these two with their higher weight and center of gravity that will go sliding right into the middle of an intersection when trying to stop in the snow. and i'm not talking high speeds, try 25mph.

my S2000, OTOH, with rear wheel drive and no techno-stability-anything, will out-stop, out-handle, and out-accelerate with its snow tires both of the AWD vehicles.

AWD? give me snow tires instead and save me the 300lbs and the 5-10mpg.

robertoeuropean
Profile for robertoeuropean
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta ... from a vw owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 13:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
It is always hard to talk about beauty, because we are so different. That's why I will talk only about technical aspect. Somebody said TSX has more room on rear bench---well not true. New Jetta is improved and now have more knee room than TSX. Bigger trank as well. Interior materials in VW/Audi are still benchmark even though TSX is really beatiful car. Performance vise turbo should outrun TSX because in A4 same engine accelerate havier car in 7.1sec (per factory). Jetta will go faster plus as always Germans are very modest with their numbers. Remember that Golf 1.8Turbo (180hp) some special edition was running in 6.5sec. New engine has a torque of 207lbft at 1800-5000 rpm. Unseen yet. Max power is 200hp (5100-6000rpm). So expect sub 7sec results. Realibility is the biggest advantage of TSX. Jetta will be made in Mexico. Fuel efficiency is by far better in Jetta. But the reason I'm writing this is to say my and some of my best friends impression. It is really true that who didn't own VW don't know what is a feeling. As much as double wishbone is superior handling wise, set-up of VW is still in my opinion the most driver oriented. However, I will be probably shoping next year this time and as it looks now, will be Acura 1.8EL (I live in Toronto and currently drive 1.6EL). If I want to spend more money will be between Acura TSX and Audi A4 2.0L Turbo (audi cost $35,600 (FWD, 6Spd) here and TSX is $36,100 here in Ontario). As I said many times TSX missed opportunity to have I5 engine with 2.5L and 225Hp and 180-185lbft of torque to be true winner. It is only because of TL torque/power limitations why TSX didn't have enough room to move up and beat competition. That is the best sport chasis in the world second only/maybe to series 3 BMW (IMO).
n8dog82
Profile for n8dog82
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta ... from a vw owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 14:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
well, I am glad you read my post thoroughly...I OWN 2 volkswagens. Obviously my 84 Rabbit GTI can't be brought up in this discussion cause thangs have certainly changed since then, but I do have a 98 Golf GTi with a 2.8L VR6 which I love. I drive VWs extremely frequently...in fact, as of writing this I just got back from driving the new Jetta. It is a much better looking car in person, so for all you people damning it from pictures, you should reserve your judgement till you see it.

I was not impressed by the way it drove, but all they had was 2.5L 5cyls...the turbo with sport suspension should be much better....especially in GLi form.

Japanese car companies cut corners. NOBODY here can deny that. How dare Acura sell a $50K RL without a 8-way power passenger seat. Jetta has it. Cooled Glove Box, its got it. Rear Sunshade, Full In-Dash Computer ala TL. Trunk to put ANY acura to shame. Full Size Spare, Six speed Automatic. Real Wood Trim. The list goes on and this was all in a $25K car.

It was a really nice car. I told you I was unbiased but everyone jumped on me a little bit. In all honesty.....from what I have seen on the base model 2.5L.....I take a six speed TSX every day of the week.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta ... from a vw owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 14:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
As I said, regardless of measurements, the TSX seemed to have a more comfortable back seat to me. It also measures smaller than a TL back seat but sit in both and I think maybe you will find that the TSX rear seat is more supportive and thus more comfortable. Or maybe it's just me... In the brief time I sat in the '06 Jetta's rear seat, it just had a "small car" feel to it and seemed a little cramped. The first time I sat back there there was virtually NO leg or knee roomm, but the front seats were pushed all the way back. I adjusted one of them to fit my height (5'10") and that improved the rear seat legroom, but it still felt like the cushion was too short and/or too low to the floor.

Also, I owned an '01 Passat for nearly 3 years so I am a previous VW owner too. I always scratched my head whenever I heard people talking about VW's being "driver's cars". Well, I guess to an extent it is pretty rewarding to drive but it's not much of an enthusiast's car. I found it to be something better than a Toyota but nothing close to the TSX that I replaced it with. The Passat suspension was far too soft and floaty. Yes it was comfortable on the freeway and about town, but so is the TSX, and the TSX is miles ahead in terms of handling.

Also, the turbocharged motor maybe isn't for everyone. I found it to be adequate for family car duty but I don't miss it one bit, even though the one in mine was APR-chipped and putting out close to 210hp and something like 245 lb-ft of torque. It was quite strong in terms of acceleration from about 3000 rpms to 5500 but otherwise it suffered from a lot of turbo lag and it wasn't fun to rev. It was pretty frugal when you stayed off the boost pipe, however. The TSX's 2.4 has better low end grunt and is many times more refined.

The top Jetta interior may be close to an entry level Audi interior, but I don't think it compares to the higher level Audi trim levels. There's an awful lot of cheaper looking plastic pieces in the Jetta - more than you find in the A4. But it is definitely a nice design.

The TSX interior's biggest flaws are both found in my version - the fake spray painted aluma-trim must go. And the display on the non-navi stereo is sorta low-tech looking, IMO. A fine pitch dot-matrix style LED display (as seen on Audi & BMW)would go a long way towards making the interior take on an even more upscale look.

robertoeuropean wrote:
It is always hard to talk about beauty, because we are so different. That's why I will talk only about technical aspect. Somebody said TSX has more room on rear bench---well not true. New Jetta is improved and now have more knee room than TSX. Bigger trank as well. Interior materials in VW/Audi are still benchmark even though TSX is really beatiful car. Performance vise turbo should outrun TSX because in A4 same engine accelerate havier car in 7.1sec (per factory). Jetta will go faster plus as always Germans are very modest with their numbers. Remember that Golf 1.8Turbo (180hp) some special edition was running in 6.5sec. New engine has a torque of 207lbft at 1800-5000 rpm. Unseen yet. Max power is 200hp (5100-6000rpm). So expect sub 7sec results. Realibility is the biggest advantage of TSX. Jetta will be made in Mexico. Fuel efficiency is by far better in Jetta. But the reason I'm writing this is to say my and some of my best friends impression. It is really true that who didn't own VW don't know what is a feeling. As much as double wishbone is superior handling wise, set-up of VW is still in my opinion the most driver oriented. However, I will be probably shoping next year this time and as it looks now, will be Acura 1.8EL (I live in Toronto and currently drive 1.6EL). If I want to spend more money will be between Acura TSX and Audi A4 2.0L Turbo (audi cost $35,600 (FWD, 6Spd) here and TSX is $36,100 here in Ontario). As I said many times TSX missed opportunity to have I5 engine with 2.5L and 225Hp and 180-185lbft of torque to be true winner. It is only because of TL torque/power limitations why TSX didn't have enough room to move up and beat competition. That is the best sport chasis in the world second only/maybe to series 3 BMW (IMO).



JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta ... from a vw owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 14:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
since you just drove an '06, did you happen to sit in the back seat? If so, how do you feel it compares to the TSX in terms of comfort? Not just how much space is between your knees and the front seatback, but actual COMFORT? How supportive and conforming is the seat cushion and seatback compared to the TSX? As I recall it, it trailed the TSX in this respect, but then again I sat in several dozen cars in a short period of time...

n8dog82 wrote:
well, I am glad you read my post thoroughly...I OWN 2 volkswagens. Obviously my 84 Rabbit GTI can't be brought up in this discussion cause thangs have certainly changed since then, but I do have a 98 Golf GTi with a 2.8L VR6 which I love. I drive VWs extremely frequently...in fact, as of writing this I just got back from driving the new Jetta. It is a much better looking car in person, so for all you people damning it from pictures, you should reserve your judgement till you see it.

I was not impressed by the way it drove, but all they had was 2.5L 5cyls...the turbo with sport suspension should be much better....especially in GLi form.

Japanese car companies cut corners. NOBODY here can deny that. How dare Acura sell a $50K RL without a 8-way power passenger seat. Jetta has it. Cooled Glove Box, its got it. Rear Sunshade, Full In-Dash Computer ala TL. Trunk to put ANY acura to shame. Full Size Spare, Six speed Automatic. Real Wood Trim. The list goes on and this was all in a $25K car.

It was a really nice car. I told you I was unbiased but everyone jumped on me a little bit. In all honesty.....from what I have seen on the base model 2.5L.....I take a six speed TSX every day of the week.





n8dog82
Profile for n8dog82
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta ... from a vw owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 15:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
It was typically harder....just like any german car. More room, less comfortable than the TSX. If you recall the last generation Jetta, I always felt I was sitting much higher than was nesascary....I got the same feeling.
AcuraSM
Profile for AcuraSM
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 15:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Just so you guys know the new Jetta is called just that. The 2005 new Jetta not a 2006. That another thing that drives me nuts about VW.
Demitri434
Profile for Demitri434
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 15:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
As an owner of a 2002 jetta 1.8t I think this choice doesn't come down to anything but Reliability. I am leasing a Jetta (fortunately) and the lease is up in August at which time I am going to buy the 05 RSX Type-s. Both of these cars (the TSX and Jetta) though priced similarly have very different characters in terms of drive. Its a matter of preference. The Jetta will be a good Highway cruiser (straightline performance) while the TSX is more fun on twisties and more balanced. But going back to my original point the reliability of the Jetta almost definately will not match the TSX's. The reason for this is VW being cheap and sending us mexican cars instead of those made in Wolfsburg Germany. My Jetta as an example of this: after 25,000 miles has had both front windows fall into the doors, the engine coils replaced, a brake switch failure, and it makes all kinds of strange noises that my dealer has told me don't exist. I do not suggest even considering this car unless it comes straight from Germany.
robertoeuropean
Profile for robertoeuropean
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta ... from a vw owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 16:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Yes, my feeling is same. More room but less comfort. Base model Jetta in canada with Auto is 25,000 dollars and TSX is 36,100 dollars. So, to compare those two will mean that TSX is a poor car. Jetta will have to do run against Acura 1.8EL not TSX. TSX is higher class. VW as of my knowledge never produced good handling car. Until this new generation of Golf/Jetta they used very old suspension system slightly modified. However, we have to admit that new Jetta in comparison to old one is longer, wider, overall bigger car, with 150hp (5 cylinder and 4 valves) and 170lbft of torque, 6 spd auto, trip computer, dual climate control, etc. for the same money as previous jetta with 2.0L, 115hp, 2 valve per cylinder engine and so on. They did great job for same money. Until we see final answer in the form of new Civic/Acura EL it is to early to say. Leave TSX alone as the best handling front drive car with a lots of fun to drive.
jsb07044
Profile for jsb07044
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 16:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Demitri434 wrote:
The reason for this is VW being cheap and sending us mexican cars instead of those made in Wolfsburg Germany.


This is a common misconception. The Mexico plant is running just fine, it is the parts specifications, suppliers, and integration engineering that are to blame for VW's un-reliability. Check the VW forums about the Touareg SUV (which are all made in Germany) and you will find many owner complaints. Further, VW service experience is overall poor (depends greatly on which dealership you go to) while Acura dealership service is much more consistent and satisfactory.

Also: You can't compare a 2002 Jetta to the TSX, or any 2005-or-older Jetta either. The new 2005.5/2006 Jetta is on the same playing field as the TSX.

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 16:41
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
jsb07044 wrote:
Also: You can't compare a 2002 Jetta to the TSX, or any 2005-or-older Jetta either. The new 2005.5/2006 Jetta is on the same playing field as the TSX.

Sure I can. Based on VW's reputation, you'd have a very hard time convincing me to buy a new Jetta or any other VW. You don't go from producing unreliable shitboxes to golden eggs in one model year. Heck, Ford can't even keep their supercar (GT) on the road!

Ryan



Last edited by RyanDL on 03-10-2005 16:42
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2005 16:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I agree - I believe my Passat was built in Germany and I didn't think that was any advantage. I had a snub mount (sort of a floating motor mount) go bad and I decided to replace it myself. To do so I had to pull off the bumper skin. I was shocked to find that on one side, where the bumper frame mates to the body of the car, only 3 of the 4 bolts were even installed. Seems like a pretty big oversight. These were quite large, long bolts too. I didn't even get into the service aspect of the car. That part was a NIGHTMARE - the dealership service department was a complete and utter joke. I used to check out some of the vw boards and found out that somebody else was fed up with their treatment at the same dealership (the entire sad story was entirely believable) and mentioned the dealership's name online. The dealership SUED the guy!! Talk about customer focus.... Anyhow, even though my car had the "free maint" deal for 2/24, I really, really dreaded taking advantage of it because it wasn't uncommon to have to schedule an appointment 3-6 months in advance. For a flippin' oil change. Suffice it to say I had to reschedule MOST of my appointments because of the nature of my own profession required me to travel frequently, and sometimes on a moment's notice.


jsb07044 wrote:
Demitri434 wrote:
The reason for this is VW being cheap and sending us mexican cars instead of those made in Wolfsburg Germany.


This is a common misconception. The Mexico plant is running just fine, it is the parts specifications, suppliers, and integration engineering that are to blame for VW's un-reliability. Check the VW forums about the Touareg SUV (which are all made in Germany) and you will find many owner complaints. Further, VW service experience is overall poor (depends greatly on which dealership you go to) while Acura dealership service is much more consistent and satisfactory.

Also: You can't compare a 2002 Jetta to the TSX, or any 2005-or-older Jetta either. The new 2005.5/2006 Jetta is on the same playing field as the TSX.



SOhp101
Profile for SOhp101
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-11-2005 01:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I don't think think the Jetta is competition for the TSX at all.

When I visted the auto show to look at the Jetta in Los Angeles, I could not believe the stuff they put on the seats was called leather. It was more like "softened cardboard" to me. The interior quality is nice when compared to American cars, but it does not touch the TSX. I'm certain that most people will agree that the exterior design of the TSX is much better. The rear on the Jetta is too Corolla-ish for me. I'll pass.

Mikef
Profile for Mikef
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-11-2005 01:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I found this new Jetta to be a total disappointment from a company in BIG trouble. These new cars NEED to be a hit. Volkswagen is drowning in red ink. The Jetta and Passat break no new ground, have very bland and derivative styling. This new 5 cylinder barely pushes the Jetta to 60 mph in 10 seconds. An Accord 4 cylinder goes to 60 in 8 seconds. The Jetta has gained too much weight for its size. The new Passat is now a strechted Jetta it used to based on the A4. VW is moving the Jetta up market and the Passat down market. Very timid products from a company that used to be bold. VERY sad, I was hoping for a lot more. VW is reminding me of GM. For kicks try to find a truly satisfied VW owner.
FMKorg
Profile for FMKorg
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-11-2005 02:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Wow, a couple of yrs ago I was thinking of getting a used 99 or 00 Jetta to be my daily driver. I did some research and heard of the falling windows and oxygen sensor problems. I then found someone at work who leased 00 or 01 Jetta. I asked him about what I had read and sure enough his window had dropped and would'nt go back up and his oxygen sensor had to be replaced twice.
I can't see myself ever getting VW after hearing these stories. Especially having them confirmed by a co-worker and now you. There are cars that have been on the road for decades w/o something so stupid as the window dropping. I would let it slide if it was a specific year problem that had been quickly resolved but it seems as though it lasted for years.

Demitri434
Profile for Demitri434
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-11-2005 07:34
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
good luck. I think being a satisfied VW owner is more of a state of mind rather than an actuality.
robertoeuropean
Profile for robertoeuropean
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-11-2005 08:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Well, as we agreed Jetta is not gonna be any treat for TSX, but it is by far better car than previous one for same money. Majority of German cars is not geared for 0-60mph, but for highways. In other hand Hondas filosofy is somewhat different and if you want to compare pasing power of civic on the highway and any Jetta you are dead. However, my first car in Canada was 1988 Jetta. I bought the car with about 150,000 km for 3,000 canadinan dollars. In 3 years I invest more money in repairs than anybody I know, plus all my time and yime spent in the shop. As a Engineer and guy who worked for VW I was able to fix many stuff, but still parts are very expensive. So I sell the car on 190,000km and took Acura 1.6EL on lease which I purchase after 4 years. So far (153,000 km, except regular maintenance I didn't spent any money on the car). It is almost boring how realible it is. And it is still rock solid. Everything is still original, but front brake rotors. It is interesting to notice that guy who bought Jetta from me did pizza delivery job with car and up to 300,000km he change only radiator. It seems I changed everything for him. New civic will be in direct competition with Jetta and will face problem because of lack of torque. Average Joe likes more cylinders and torque because American big three promote that philosofy. So, I predict that Civic because of very contraversial shape and performance orientation will not be able to match sale numbers of the previous one. Time will tell.
civic_cx_92
Profile for civic_cx_92
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-05-2005 00:39
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
jsb07044 wrote:
In terms of size and cost, these two vehicles are about the same. The Jetta's two engines (base 2.5-liter 150-hp 5-cylinder, optional 2.0-liter 200-hp turbo 4-cylinder) offer two distinctive personalities and compelling competition of the TSX. 4Motion AWD is rumored to be offered as an option. The new Jetta's feature set and Audi-like interior quality certainly trump the TSX. Are there any open-minded car shoppers here willing to compare the two for themselves?


2005 Jetta 2.5 6AT road tested on R&T May page 75~79.
list price $21,465
as tested $26,740
length: 179.3"
width: 69.3"
height: 57.5"
curb weight 3340 lb
2480cc inline-5
82.5mm bore x 92.8mm stroke
150 hp @ 5000 rpm
170 lb-ft @ 3750 rpm
redline 5600 rpm

0-60mph: 9.8 sec
1/4 mile: 17.3 @ 81.4 mph

80-0mph: 228 ft
200' skidpad: 0.80g
700ft slalom: 64.9mph

The quality of new Jetta is aimed at TSX but performance is lacking... TSX over Jetta 2.5.

Mikef
Profile for Mikef
Re: TSX vs. 2006 Jetta    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-05-2005 02:55
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
If the Jetta was suppose to save Volkswagen they had might as well give up. The Jetta is an absolutely boring design with an unrefined, low performing engine and a very high price. The interior has a nice appearance but that is it. The TSX looks like the bargain that it is compared to that car. I am so surprised Volkswagen could not do better. The turbo motor and sports suspension on the Jetta will push the price over $30K. Also do not forget that the new Passat is based on the Jetta, the Passat is going to end up costing more than the TL.
All that money for two cars that do not perform as well as an Accord 4 cyl.


 
Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0